PDA

View Full Version : Should the hawks consider rebuilding?

mdm692
01-12-2012, 10:02 PM
With horford out the hawks hope of a championship just took a huge hit and we all know joe johnson isnt getting any younger and with josh smith being the man in the paint again they definitely are going back to being a 1st round exit 2nd round only if they get luck. So should they trade josh smith or joe johnson and try to retool for next season.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2012, 10:05 PM
yes they should. How are they going to do it? They are in salary cap hell through next season.

GrapeSoda
01-12-2012, 10:06 PM
They absolutely should, unfortunately I don't think they are capable of doing so unless they make some drastic changes

CaptainClutch
01-12-2012, 10:09 PM
They definitely should. This major loss just threw their chances of being top in the east a long shot. They just signed Joe Johnson to that monster deal and should try to free up some cap space. Being a Nets fan and having expiring contracts in Humphries and Okur, the Hawks should really try to just give up all the salary and go into next year with Horford at the core

NYtilIdie
01-12-2012, 10:11 PM
I remember Charles Barkley saying awhile back that they should decide who they want to build around in either Joe Johnson or Josh Smith because the current system wasn't getting them anywhere.

With Smith they could become a running team,with Johnson they could become a half court team. I agreed with this idea, but its obviously too late for that.

mdm692
01-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Ive never thought about this till i read somebody mention the nets but with okur and humphries expiring they should try to trade for joe johnson maybe that convinces d-will and /or dwight to sign with the nets. And this second trade is just me dreaming but they should trade j-smoove to the suns :P

GrapeSoda
01-12-2012, 10:12 PM
They definitely should. This major loss just threw their chances of being top in the east a long shot. They just signed Joe Johnson to that monster deal and should try to free up some cap space. Being a Nets fan and having expiring contracts in Humphries and Okur, the Hawks should really try to just give up all the salary and go into next year with Horford at the core

Would you trade Hump and Okur + fillers for Joe Johnson?

GrapeSoda
01-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Ive never thought about this till i read somebody mention the nets but with okur and humphries expiring they should try to trade for joe johnson maybe that convinces d-will and /or dwight to sign with the nets. And this second trade is just me dreaming but they should trade j-smoove to the suns :P

haha you beat me to it :hi5:

Young and Stupid
01-12-2012, 10:17 PM

:laugh2:

No.

CaptainClutch
01-12-2012, 10:26 PM

Hump, Okur, Brooks and picks should get it done.

GrapeSoda
01-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Not sure if the Hawks would do that although they have been in dire need of a center for a long time. If the Nets could somehow land Dwight that would be a solid team to build around ..

Deron Williams
Marshon Brooks
Joe Johnson
?
Dwight Howard

Badluck33
01-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Bulls and Heat will run the EC for the next 3 years. It'd be wise to setup your team to come strong in 2014 and take that open spot when the Heatles break up.

CaptainClutch
01-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Not sure if the Hawks would do that although they have been in dire need of a center for a long time. If the Nets could somehow land Dwight that would be a solid team to build around ..

Deron Williams
Marshon Brooks
Joe Johnson
?
Dwight Howard

I certainly think that a deal of Humphries and / or Okur with MarShon Brooks and a 1st Rounder (Houston's) should get it done.

If the Nets can then pull off a team with Okur or Humphries, a first rounder, and Brook Lopez, with the involvement of a 3rd team should land them Howard and Hedo.

Deron Williams
Joe Johnson
Hedo Turkoglu
.........?
Dwight Howard

BigBongTheory
01-12-2012, 10:38 PM
The hawks aren't going anywhere anytime soon, joe johnson isnt the same player he was even two years ago, it owuld tak alot but yes, the best option for them would be to cut the fat and build around horford, but even he is out for the year now..

Hellcrooner
01-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Yes they should.

Trade Josh for expirings and picks.

Try to get expirings or shorter contracts for their veteran players.

AMNESTY the hell out of joe Johnson.

Hellcrooner
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
They could probably even convince Boston to take HInrich and J Smith for some expiring.

GrapeSoda
01-12-2012, 10:41 PM
They could probably even convince Boston to take HInrich and J Smith for some expiring.

With the way Boston has played so far this year I would encourage them to try and rebuild around Rondo + J smoove

JordansBulls
01-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Yes, they can build around Joe Johnson and Tmac:)

CaptainClutch
01-12-2012, 10:49 PM
With the way Boston has played so far this year I would encourage them to try and rebuild around Rondo + J smoove

Now that the pursuit of CP3 and a last championship run is gone, then should build around those two players and make Boston high tempo and not 1/2 court offense

SteveNash
01-12-2012, 10:55 PM
They can't rebuild even if they wanted to.

CaptainClutch
01-12-2012, 10:58 PM
They can't rebuild even if they wanted to.

Why do you think that is? Just the ability relieve them of cap space?

Young and Stupid
01-12-2012, 10:59 PM

:speechless: What the **** is wrong with you? I just lost all respect for you.

I wouldn't trade for JJ even if it was just a salary dump (Okur and Humphries). CC, you're insane.

SteveNash
01-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Why do you think that is? Just the ability relieve them of cap space?

Yes, Joe Johnson is basically untradeable.

CaptainClutch
01-12-2012, 11:26 PM
:speechless: What the **** is wrong with you? I just lost all respect for you.

I wouldn't trade for JJ even if it was just a salary dump (Okur and Humphries). CC, you're insane.

Got a ton of respect for you too dude. But the Hawks have a problem with the running Josh Smith up and down the court and the slow tempo half court offense of JJ. If they trade for him, they'd want Nets' picks cause this draft is LOADED.

I guess I had to elaborate more lol

celtics 34
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
They can probobly trade allen and garnett for johnson and smith but then that would take away the celtics cap space next year or maybe even amnesty johnson try to trade pierce maybe

Sportfan
01-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Smoove to Boston for our first JO JJJ and Wilcox plz.

I'd be willing to take on Marvin Williams contract, but JJ ooph.....that's tough

slynxpac
01-12-2012, 11:33 PM
They should consider rebuilding now

CaptainClutch
01-12-2012, 11:35 PM
I think potentially getting two TOP TEN picks from the Nets is extremely appealing

Sportfan
01-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I think potentially getting two TOP TEN picks from the Nets is extremely appealing
for who?

CaptainClutch
01-12-2012, 11:54 PM
for who?

Well for either Josh Smith or Joe Johnson, but the packages would be different. The nets would throw both first rounders in for JJ and expiring contracts.

Sportfan
01-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Well for either Josh Smith or Joe Johnson, but the packages would be different. The nets would throw both first rounders in for JJ and expiring contracts.

:speechless:

2 top 10 picks in this draft can get you 90% of the players in the league, and you Joe Johnson!?!?!!?

KingOf215
01-13-2012, 01:13 AM
They are in the dreaded in between range of being too good for the draft lottery, and too sucky to win a championship. I'd rebuild... afterall, the goal of every team is an O'brien trophy right?

ugafan
01-13-2012, 01:14 AM
:speechless:

2 top 10 picks in this draft can get you 90% of the players in the league, and you Joe Johnson!?!?!!?

So Joe Johnson isn't in the top 10% of the league? He's probably the best player that you can net for 2 top 10 picks.

Sportfan
01-13-2012, 01:19 AM
So Joe Johnson isn't in the top 10% of the league? He's probably the best player that you can net for 2 top 10 picks.

Right, because a team is going to give 2 1st round picks along with $100 million to acquire an aging not even all star caliber player. Joe Johnson is one of the 5 least valuable players in the NBA with the contract.

I'd deal Rondo for 2 top 10 picks this year and I'm one of Rondo's biggest fans

*Silver&Black*
01-13-2012, 01:27 AM

Joe for 2 1sts and expiring contracts? deal.

Kakaroach
01-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Joe Johnson is pretty damn untradeable. Talk about a contract no one wants.

Tough situation, cuz they are not contenders but are still a legit playoff team. I'd say go for the rebuild.

JIDsanity
01-13-2012, 01:43 AM
Kirk Hinrich is interesting. I would ove to have him on the Nets. Other than that Im not sure if the Nets (or any other team right now) should get involved in any trade scenarios with ATL until the Dwight situation is resolved.

reffahead
01-13-2012, 01:56 AM
The hawks will not rebuild. They may make the playoffs with a 7th or 8th seed or catch a low lotto pick. With that pick they will choose the best available big or overall player and push the heat or bulls just like they planned on doing this year.

If the nets want Johnson, a late first rounder and filler would do it.

CaptainClutch
01-13-2012, 01:06 PM
The hawks will not rebuild. They may make the playoffs with a 7th or 8th seed or catch a low lotto pick. With that pick they will choose the best available big or overall player and push the heat or bulls just like they planned on doing this year.

If the nets want Johnson, a late first rounder and filler would do it.

I'm just thinking the Nets need to gain another borderline all star through a trade. That in itself, with the addition of good role players, can entice Dwight Howard to pursue the Nets in Free agency.

D12 fan
01-13-2012, 01:39 PM
The Magic should go after Joe Johnson,maybe they give it 1 last run with a Dwight/Johnson duo.

Turk,Redick for Joe Johnson