PDA

View Full Version : Howard Prediction: Philadelphia

bringbackfredex
01-12-2012, 08:20 PM
As most of you know, Howard was given permission to talk to three teams: Lakers, Mavs, and Nets. We also know that the Magic want to stay competitive right now, as well as have a team that will be able to compete in the future. Every deal with these three teams has been stalled, so does that leave the possibility for a surprise team to come in and steal Howard? If it's going to be any team, it's going to be Philadelphia, and my prediction is that this is where Howard will land.

The Sixers have plenty of ammunition to land a stud like Howard, and due to their depth they can still keep a winning team on the floor while doing so. Spencer Hawes is emerging as a quality center this year (averaging a double double) which would give the Magic a great young replacement for Howard, and this would only be the beginning of the deal.

The trade machine is down right now so I can't match-up salaries, but the Sixers could potentially package Hawes, Iggy, Turner or Holiday (would probably take Jrue), Vucevic or a salary match, and Multiple 1st Rounders for Howard. This deal I would say is much more valuable to the short term and long term success of the Magic than anything else that is being offered with the exception of maybe the Lakers (depending on how much they're willing to give on top of Bynum). The emergence of Lou Williams also gives the Sixers the flexibility at the point to trade away a rising star like Jrue in a deal.

Williams
Turner
Young
Brand
Howard

That team looks a lot better than the Magic's ECF and Finals teams, where they went two of the last three years. The Sixers new ownership is looking to change the culture in Philadelphia, and they know that the only way to do that is to acquire a star like Howard and bring the fans back. Howard was also seen wearing a Phillies hat in an interview, so it's not like he would be opposed to playing in a major city like Philadelphia (could be wrong, but I'm sure he would listen). The Sixers have just as much if not more to give as the Mavs and Nets, so if a deal falls through with the Lakers, doesn't this seem possible? I think it does, and how this plays out may surprise a lot of people around the NBA world: Dwight Howard, a Philadelphia 76er.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-12-2012, 08:23 PM
His only destinations are New Jersey, Dallas and LA, so no, I don't think so.

theheatles
01-12-2012, 08:26 PM
sixers would have to give up more (thadeus young) and take turkoglu too

and in your lineup turner would be traded so meeks would still be the starting 2

justinnum1
01-12-2012, 08:41 PM
hes going to get traded, magic arent stupid enough to let him walk

bringbackfredex
01-12-2012, 08:43 PM
hes going to get traded, magic arent stupid enough to let him walk

Clearly you didn't read anything I wrote.

RLundi
01-12-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't see it happening, but the best of luck to you.

More-Than-Most
01-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Pass... It would cost to much and right now we are building something special. Our only move should be trading iggy and waiting for Brand to expire.

bringbackfredex
01-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Pass... It would cost to much and right now we are building something special. Our only move should be trading iggy and waiting for Brand to expire.

Disagree, respectfully of course.

Love what we're building, but don't see a championship ever happening with the collection of guys that we have. You have to give up a lot to get a guy like Howard, and until the Sixers get a star to fill the shoes of Iverson, they will never fill the arena and make a profit.

Besides, even with the team we have now, we still don't have anyone that can take over a game due to inconsistent shooting. At least Howard would make up for that.

Lake_Show2416
01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
not a chance, even if the Magic r stupid enough to let him walk, i dont see him signing with anyone other than Dallas or the Nets through free agency

Iodine
01-12-2012, 08:56 PM
I mean this all makes some sense and all, and it would probably be a decent move, but how do we know Otis Smith even talks to the sixers or has beef or something stupid like that, because he is Otis Smith.

PhillyFaninLA
01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
We have a good thing going and a bunch of guys with good chemistry and upside.

I'm not trading what it would take to get him. It would hurt us too much in the long run to trade for him.

edit:

If we could trade Iggy for expirings and a draft pick, amnesty Brand in the offseason, and with Nocioni's contract gone we could afford a max deal then I'd sign him but I won't gut this team. It would destroy what we are building toward.

jimbobjarree
01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
If only Biyombo were made available the drama would be over

justinnum1
01-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Clearly you didn't read anything I wrote.

:o

Geargo Wallace
01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
**** that. I don't want him in the Atlantic Division. I would like to see him end up in a good situation, though.

bringbackfredex
01-12-2012, 09:09 PM

I'm not trading what it would take to get him. It would hurt us too much in the long run to trade for him.

edit:

If we could trade Iggy for expirings and a draft pick, amnesty Brand in the offseason, and with Nocioni's contract gone we could afford a max deal then I'd sign him but I won't gut this team. It would destroy what we are building toward.

Again, I can't agree with what you're saying because of our need for a star. Gutting the team wouldn't even really be gutting the team, due to how much depth we have. You can't get someone like Howard without giving up something, and in Philadelphia attendance will never rise until we get a guy like him.

Chances are Howard won't even make it to free agency, and I compare this situation to the Knicks with Carmelo. They didn't want to give up what they were building, but had to so they got where they needed to get. Bottom line is that even if we give up what I said we would, that would leave us with Turner, Thad, Brand, and Lou which is pretty damn good.

Iodine
01-12-2012, 09:09 PM
If only Biyombo were made available the drama would be over

It would ruin competitive balance forever.

In 30 MPG Biyombo would average 57 blocks

PhillyFaninLA
01-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Again, I can't agree with what you're saying because of our need for a star. Gutting the team wouldn't even really be gutting the team, due to how much depth we have. You can't get someone like Howard without giving up something, and in Philadelphia attendance will never rise until we get a guy like him.

Chances are Howard won't even make it to free agency, and I compare this situation to the Knicks with Carmelo. They didn't want to give up what they were building, but had to so they got where they needed to get. Bottom line is that even if we give up what I said we would, that would leave us with Turner, Thad, Brand, and Lou which is pretty damn good.

We are a year or two away from Jrue and Turner being stars and maybe even Thad. We just need more experience. Way to expensive to trade for him. You don't gut a team with a lot of upside with chemistry and youth.

jrm2054
01-12-2012, 09:12 PM
He would never sign an extension in Philly

bringbackfredex
01-12-2012, 09:14 PM

But he would sign one with the Nets? Doesn't make a lot of sense, considering the Sixers have more to put around him.

bringbackfredex
01-12-2012, 09:17 PM
We are a year or two away from Jrue and Turner being stars and maybe even Thad. We just need more experience. Way to expensive to trade for him. You don't gut a team with a lot of upside with chemistry and youth.

Agree with this, but this would be passing up a guy that's probably a little below Shaq in his prime.

Jrue and Turner will be very good (potentially stars), but can you really book them as stars right now? Thad is going to be an above average player, maybe an all-star one day, but I don't see him as a star at all.

Again, I understand what you're saying, but it's a gamble either way. We let Howard walk, it's a gamble. We bank on Jrue and Turner being stars, it's also a gamble.

PhillyFaninLA
01-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Agree with this, but this would be passing up a guy that's probably a little below Shaq in his prime.

Jrue and Turner will be very good (potentially stars), but can you really book them as stars right now? Thad is going to be an above average player, maybe an all-star one day, but I don't see him as a star at all.

Again, I understand what you're saying, but it's a gamble either way. We let Howard walk, it's a gamble. We bank on Jrue and Turner being stars, it's also a gamble.

The bolded is why I don't make the trade. I absolutely respect and understand your point. I think we lose to much by not being a bit patient. I think Evan will be a triple double machine and Jrue a top 5 maybe top 3 PG in 1 - 2 years. I think the season after next (when Brand's contract is up) Young comes in as a starter and becomes a borderline all star. We could have a big 3 (not as good as the Celtics or Heats).

We also have chemistry, the right coach, and are 8 deep. Patience and keeping most of our roster will reward us more than a superstar trade. Also we would be hurting our defense to much even with him in the middle.

iliketurtles24
01-12-2012, 09:42 PM

edit:

hey the wolves will take Iggy!

GrapeSoda
01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Highly doubt Dwight is interested in Philly, interesting take though I would love to see him there. They wouldn't be instant contenders which I think is what Dwight is looking for and the Magic would literally want to gut the entire team like the Nuggets did Melo so I really don't think this would ever happen.

Cal827
01-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Dwight Howard can go **** himself with a 40-foot pole. I think they hypocrite cares more about market than about winning. If he did, then he would be trying to get onto teams like OKC or Philly, that are already decent and on the rise.

jd25213
01-12-2012, 11:36 PM
But he would sign one with the Nets? Doesn't make a lot of sense, considering the Sixers have more to put around him.

Because the Nets are moving to Brooklyn, something attention seeking Dwight wants, plus they have an NBA Star in Deron Williams.

jsthornton7
01-13-2012, 12:08 AM
like phillyfaninla said, why wouldnt they just amnesty brand and try to sign him as a free agent?

KingOf215
01-13-2012, 01:05 AM
This isn't gonna happen.... even if he joined the Sixers, they'd be #3 team in the East at best. Also, I don't see Dwight signing any type of extension, barring the ingestion of some type of hypnotic substance.

Shkelqim
01-13-2012, 01:15 AM
Ive been listening to 97.5 all day and this is all i am hearing. NO. It's stupid we have a great ****ing squad. I wouldn't ruin the pieces for a Center who went win a championship for us. In Orlando he had some talent and still when it came to big games, check his stats. He is a beast but it's not like Shaq, Shaq was there on every play. Howard is getting way over valued. I wouldn't give up all that for Howard. Only player i would give up all that is LeBron. Thats it.

Kakaroach
01-13-2012, 01:17 AM
I think this is a knee-jerk reaction to Philly's fast start. The chances he lands there are very slim.

Shkelqim
01-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Philly is here to stay this year.

Westbrook36
01-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Because the Nets are moving to Brooklyn, something attention seeking Dwight wants, plus they have an NBA Star in Deron Williams.

I don't really see how appealing Brooklyn is, Philadelphia is enough of a major market. I've already heard of the move to Brooklyn, it's been happening for a few years now, I don't see too much attention towards that. I'd rather have a strong supporting cast with a lot of potential then Deron Williams and crap.

I think this is a knee-jerk reaction to Philly's fast start. The chances he lands there are very slim.

The chances might be slim, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't fit in extremely well. I'm not sure I'd even be interested in Dwight, espesically if we have to give up Jrue Holiday. A player that actually plays defensive as a point guard with his type of ability, it would be extremely hard to give him up. At this point, unless the Knicks begin to gell, I have zero problem saying that the 76ers could capture a number three seed. I might be a homer, but I'm pretty confident in the ability of this deep roster that feeds into defense.

You can't be sure of that.