PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson's comments about Lebron

nickdymez
01-12-2012, 03:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgsfD4opGTE&feature=share

Does magic have credibility? He was a great player but is opinion relevant?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-12-2012, 03:11 PM
old as hell

nickdymez
01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
I never saw this. Mods can close.

John Walls Era
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Old, but Magic is pretty biased (even if hes right). Hes a minority owner and a Lakers legend.

Gram
01-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Magic Johnson.

Evolution23
01-12-2012, 06:18 PM
in before old news

naps
01-12-2012, 06:32 PM
OP is back from a little hiatus of not making LeBron hate threads. This guy used to create a LeBron hate thread every other day. I expect him to be back in full circle this and get banned again eventually.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Old, but Magic is pretty biased (even if hes right). Hes a minority owner and a Lakers legend.

Nope, he sold his share of the Lakers last year. Magic has no say in the organization anymore.

LakersSaintsLSU
01-12-2012, 06:42 PM
haha kobe haters "in before close,close thread" love the haters they never sleep! lmao

theheatles
01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
All these former player analysts have their own agendas, especially the greats or the greats' teammates/friends

Cal827
01-12-2012, 06:47 PM
OP is back from a little hiatus of not making LeBron hate threads. This guy used to create a LeBron hate thread every other day. I expect him to be back in full circle this and get banned again eventually.

Oh come on naps, that's like Half of the population on PSD. We don't need to point out everybody lol

naps
01-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Oh come on naps, that's like Half of the population on PSD. We don't need to point out everybody lol

True but couple of them are absolutely prominent. They specially love two (Pretty sure you know who those players are), hate LeBron, relentlessly keep making LeBron-bashing threads.

beliges
01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
True but couple of them are absolutely prominent. They specially love two (Pretty sure you know who those players are), hate LeBron, relentlessly keep making LeBron-bashing threads.

People will continue to criticize LBJ for all his failures until he leads a team to a championship. Thats how its always been and thats how it will be with him. Some of his fans want people to praise him completely at this point even though he has not won. Other people counter and criticize him for all of his failures and his dismal playoff and FInals performances. LBJ is a great player, but until he wins a championship and plays well in the process, he will always be criticized.

bucketss
01-12-2012, 09:26 PM
well before i start i will say i do think all time kobe is better than lebron

magic loves to contradic himself, because when he himself had 5 championships and jordan had 0 he declared michael the greatest of all time.

bucketss
01-12-2012, 09:33 PM
but i have to ask.. when lebron wins a ring or wins 2 in a row willl skipp have a job?? i mean his whole career is fueled on lebrons failures when lebron wins multiple championships what will skipp do with himself.

xbrackattackx
01-12-2012, 11:39 PM
but i have to ask.. when lebron wins a ring or wins 2 in a row willl skipp have a job?? i mean his whole career is fueled on lebrons failures when lebron wins multiple championships what will skipp do with himself.

Best case scenario ...die?

GREATNESS ONE
01-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Hey Lebron, You want all this to stop, want all the haters to go away, want Skip Bayless to shut up, want people to actually know, feel and believe you're the best player in the NBA. Win the Larry O'Brien trophy.

ink
01-13-2012, 04:47 AM

magic loves to contradic himself, because when he himself had 5 championships and jordan had 0 he declared michael the greatest of all time.

How is that contradicting himself? That's just him being sane and not buying into the BS about rings meaning very much for individual players. He's honest in acknowledging that Jordan is the best, even though personally I think of Magic as the best in the history of the game. It's all subjective. Props to Magic for being humble enough to defer to another great talent.

Raph12
01-13-2012, 05:03 AM
"Skip Bayless is right... You know how much it hurts me to say that" - Stephan A. Smith

Gold lol... Pure gold.

Law25
01-13-2012, 05:41 AM
Before Kobe won in 09 there was a article that stated Kobe was the reverse Jordan. It said that players made their names battleing Jordan and failing, but today players make their name from battling kobe and succeding like Billups, Big, Rip in the 05 Finals and Pirece, Ray, and Garnett in 08. They were saying he couldnt do it without Shaq. Like every game from 05 to 08 he was mocked by other teams announcers. Rather he won or lose during games most notable the Hornets color anyalist would always take shots like, I bet he wishes he had Shaq now and he wanted his team and now he got it, be careful what you wish for. Barkley ripped him constantly, along with many others. It was up to Kobe to prove them wrong and the same is with Lebron. Kobe has a kiss my rump attitude becuase he earned it and is still earning it.

bucketss
01-13-2012, 09:21 AM
How is that contradicting himself? That's just him being sane and not buying into the BS about rings meaning very much for individual players. He's honest in acknowledging that Jordan is the best, even though personally I think of Magic as the best in the history of the game. It's all subjective. Props to Magic for being humble enough to defer to another great talent.

in this video he says the reason kobe is better than lebron because kobe has 5 championships, so do champions matter or not? it didnt matter than but now it matters.

Swashcuff
01-13-2012, 09:42 AM

He actually said that when MJ had two and was about to go for his 3rd. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6og_pOVi2w&feature=player_detailpage#t=300s) is the video.

bucketss
01-13-2012, 09:57 AM
yeah you're right

The Final Boss
01-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Earvin Magic.

Tony_Starks
01-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Does Magic Johnson have credibility to critique players? Are you kidding me?

beliges
01-13-2012, 06:14 PM
He actually said that when MJ had two and was about to go for his 3rd. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6og_pOVi2w&feature=player_detailpage#t=300s) is the video.

Thats because MJ had the skills to be the best ever. LBJ not so much. LBJs game is not predicated on basketball skill and talent as much as it is on sheer athleticism. Kobe has mastered every single aspect of the game. There are no weaknesses in his game whereas LBJ still has a lot of improving to do even do he still dominates the way he does during the regular season. There are a lot of things Kobe has mastered and LBJ is just poor at. Fundamentals, footwork, closing games, a post up game, and a go to move come to mind. You dont see LBJ improving an aspect of his game year by year like we saw Kobe do for well over a decade. Theyre just different players with different abilities.

bucketss
01-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Thats because MJ had the skills to be the best ever. LBJ not so much. LBJs game is not predicated on basketball skill and talent as much as it is on sheer athleticism. Kobe has mastered every single aspect of the game. There are no weaknesses in his game whereas LBJ still has a lot of improving to do even do he still dominates the way he does during the regular season. There are a lot of things Kobe has mastered and LBJ is just poor at. Fundamentals, footwork, closing games, a post up game, and a go to move come to mind. You dont see LBJ improving an aspect of his game year by year like we saw Kobe do for well over a decade. Theyre just different players with different abilities.

yes but for his size his skill set is pretty impressive, lbj is a big man more in the mold of magic obviously not as good but comparable play making abilities , while kobe is more like MJ, scoring machines with an array offensive moves

beliges
01-13-2012, 06:29 PM
yes but for his size his skill set is pretty impressive, lbj is a big man more in the mold of magic obviously not as good but comparable play making abilities , while kobe is more like MJ, scoring machines with an array offensive moves

See even Magic wasnt the most athletic player when he played. He was more based on skills than athleticism. I dont know, Lebron just seems to me that he doesnt improve year from year that much. Hes the same player he was a few years ago. For years people have been saying he needs to develop a post game and still hasnt. To me these types of little things speak volumes. MJ and Kobe improved year to year to the point that it was obvious. LBJ not so much. But I dont know.

bucketss
01-13-2012, 06:35 PM
for me it seems like he has improved his shooting mechanics,play making,defense vastly, and he added some faceup moves this year i noticed, and a pretty nice spin fadeway shot i havent seen before, im a bit biased but we'll see how he does this year.

beliges
01-13-2012, 06:36 PM
for me it seems like he has improved his shooting mechanics,play making,defense vastly, and he added some faceup moves this year i noticed, and a pretty nice spin fadeway shot i havent seen before, im a bit biased but we'll see how he does this year.

Either way Lebron's an absolute beast. Whether you love him or hate him, theres no denying that.

Swashcuff
01-13-2012, 07:23 PM

This is completely false.

LeBron has improved damn near every aspect of his game as he has grown older. What are you talking about? Have you paid attention to LeBron's career. He went from being a piss poor mid range shooter to being ranked in the upper 3rd in the league in that regard. He went from being an above average defender at best to being an elite defender. He went to having no post game whatsoever to scorer at a higher % in the post than any other SF in the game. He has grown fundamentally, was a great closer (up until recently) and has shown the fundamental ability to understand the best ways in which to put the ball in the hoop and remove himself from being a just a shot jacker like he was at times earlier in his career.

If you think LeBron James hasn't grown as a basketball player you're watching the wrong sport.

beliges
01-13-2012, 07:26 PM
This is completely false.

LeBron has improved damn near every aspect of his game as he has grown older. What are you talking about? Have you paid attention to LeBron's career. He went from being a piss poor mid range shooter to being ranked in the upper 3rd in the league in that regard. He went from being an above average defender at best to being an elite defender. He went to having no post game whatsoever to scorer at a higher % in the post than any other SF in the game. He has grown fundamentally, was a great closer (up until recently) and has shown the fundamental ability to understand the best ways in which to put the ball in the hoop and remove himself from being a just a shot jacker like he was at times earlier in his career.

If you think LeBron James hasn't grown as a basketball player you're watching the wrong sport.

LBJs defense and jumpshot as improved, but not at the level it needs to be. And cmon, LBJ still have a very limited post up game. Its almost non-existent. He always had a problem consistently closing games and he still does. These are not only my criticisms, this is the criticism of the vast majority of NBA fans out there. He has a lot of room for improvement left. At this point of his career, he should at least have had a consistent post up game. The reason people criticize him for these things is because pretty soon, as his athleticism diminishes, hes gonna have to evolve him game.

Swashcuff
01-13-2012, 07:43 PM
LBJs defense and jumpshot as improved, but not at the level it needs to be.

LeBron has a better mid range game than Melo and is a top 3 defensive perimeter player in the league and he isn't where he should be? I'm guessing you expect him to be the best at everything right?

And cmon, LBJ still have a very limited post up game. Its almost non-existent.

And yet for some reason he's able to convert at a high % from the post regardless. Could you imagine if his post game wasn't limited how amazing he'd be offensively?

He always had a problem consistently closing games and he still does.

He's always had problems closing out games? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDjYYO-rAw&feature=player_embedded

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/8304/how-clutch-has-lebron-been-in-the-playoffs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=lebronzone-110601

http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM
http://www.82games.com/0910/CSORT11.HTM
http://www.82games.com/0809/CSORT11.HTM
http://www.82games.com/CSORT11.HTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Px-jPm_TU&feature=player_embedded

there is a lot more I can go on with but I'd just stick with that for the moment.

These are not only my criticisms, this is the criticism of the vast majority of NBA fans out there. He has a lot of room for improvement left. At this point of his career, he should at least have had a consistent post up game. The reason people criticize him for these things is because pretty soon, as his athleticism diminishes, hes gonna have to evolve him game.

I understand all of that but many of these fans are misinformed and are blinded by their dislike for the player. Rational fans are at least willing to admit that up until last season with Miami (minus a few hiccups along the way) he was one of the most clutch players in the game and arguably the best closer.

I understand that as he loses athletic ability he'll have to rely more on his skill rather than his dominance (something which my favourite player of all time Allen Iverson needed to understand as well) but to say LeBron hasn't grown as a player is completely untrue. He has grown as a player, he's no longer that 20 year old raw beast of a player but a more rounded one. Is he a complete player? NO. Far from it but his weaknesses aren't as big as they once were. They are more advertised now however since he plays on the most talked about team in North American sports.