PDA

View Full Version : Who is the better conference?

Philly 4 Life
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
In recent years its been the West but im not so sure now...

EAST- Miami, Chicago, Boston, New York, Orlando, Atlanta, Philly, Indiana...or all teams that can win 40+ games this year

WEST- Lakers, Clippers, OKC, Denver, Portland, San Antonio, Dallas, Utah...are teams that can win 40+ games this year

Who is the better conference?

Ebbs
01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
The best team is in the East so I'd rather play in the West.

Jint.
01-12-2012, 12:45 PM
power shift.. Its now the East.

Baller1
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
As it's been for a few years now, the East is more top heavy, whereas the West is deeper.

More than likely, the team that grabs the 8th seed in the West would kill the 8th seed in the East. In my opinion, at least.

SlimKid
01-12-2012, 01:15 PM
As it's been for a few years now, the East is more top heavy, whereas the West is deeper.

More than likely, the team that grabs the 8th seed in the West would kill the 8th seed in the East. In my opinion, at least.

This sums it up perfectly, which makes it extremely hard to judge..

Hawkeye15
01-12-2012, 01:20 PM

exactly what I have said for 2 years now. The west isn't sending a sub .500 team to the playoffs over the past few years, and has more competitive teams.

KnickaBocka.44
01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
I think the days of -.500 teams making the playoffs in the east may be over. The OP listed 8 teams that he thought could win 40 games in the east this year and that would put all 8 teams well over .500.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-12-2012, 01:45 PM
I think the days of -.500 teams making the playoffs in the east may be over. The OP listed 8 teams that he thought could win 40 games in the east this year and that would put all 8 teams well over .500.

I'm assuming he meant 40 wins during a normal season, as winning 40 out of 66 would equate to winning 50 out of 82, which some of those teams aren't quite there.

Beltrans Mole
01-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Heat, Bulls, Knicks, Celtics, Hawks, and Magic are all pretty good. The Sixers and Pacers have a chance to be pretty good this year.

ILMindState
01-12-2012, 01:57 PM

I think the bottom of the East is stronger now. Indiana and Philly are good young teams that are tough outs in the playoffs. East > West now overall.

CaptainClutch
01-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Major power shift to the east. If I were a team, I'd take my chances in the West

oALo
01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Have to go with the West here

The West has been consistently deeper over the years. I think the East is closing the gap, with teams like Indiana and Philly really showing promise. I can't standing seeing a sub .500 team in the playoffs.

My biggest issue is that the East playoff teams are soft (this does not mean all teams..can't argue with Boston, Chicago, and now Miami.... poor Detriot). Atlanta seems to have a decent team every year, but never show up in the playoffs (past the first round). Knicks last year (although injuries and new team chemistry may have been a larger part of that) played way under their capabilities. Grant it that the West has some shockers them selves (Spurs in the first round, and Lakers being aced in the second). But his year should be telling if there truly is a shift. I'll admit that more superstars are collecting in the East, but I just don't see the competition like there is out of the West.

Take a look at these brackets to see the disparity between the two conferences over the past few years!
http://breathingfire.com/nba/playoffs/2011/bracket2011.php
http://breathingfire.com/nba/playoffs/2010/bracket2010.php
http://breathingfire.com/nba/playoffs/2009/bracket2009.php (better, but still alot of teams with zero wins)

PhillyFaninLA
01-12-2012, 02:58 PM
I think the top is better in the East and the bottom (the teams not mentioned) are better in the west.

Law25
01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
The bulls almost lost to the Lakers in a new system in there first game together after only two preseason games and the Heat so far are 0-2 on there west cost trip. Whats the East record against the West this year? But in all seriousness I think the two conferences are equal so far.

MTL_123
01-12-2012, 03:21 PM
East has the better players but the west is a harder conference

PacersForLife
01-12-2012, 03:29 PM
All eight teams mentioned in the East are very capable of giving any team a run for their money in the league, that hasn't been the story the past few years. Philly and my Pacers are quietly becoming two of the better teams in the East. That being said, all teams below the top eight in the east are pretty bad whereas in the West the non-playoff teams are still pretty good. It's tough to say, I think the East has way more star power now and more teams that have potential to become elite with growth and development.

oALo
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
All eight teams mentioned in the East are very capable of giving any team a run for their money in the league, that hasn't been the story the past few years. Philly and my Pacers are quietly becoming two of the better teams in the East. That being said, all teams below the top eight in the east are pretty bad whereas in the West the non-playoff teams are still pretty good. It's tough to say, I think the East has way more star power now and more teams that have potential to become elite with growth and development.

Well said! I definitely agree with this.

smith&wesson
01-12-2012, 03:48 PM
i say its about =

beliges
01-12-2012, 05:19 PM
The East has two great teams in CHI and Miami. After that, the West dominates the East. Its been this way for a loooooong long time now.

ChaseHamels
01-12-2012, 05:58 PM
WHO is the better conference? Really?

latinofire21
01-12-2012, 06:18 PM
East is definitely the better conference. You cant bring history into making an arguement for right now.

Philly is playing well
Indiana is paying well
Chicago, NY, Miami, Orlando are still at the top of the list regarding power teams.

Atlanta losing Horford is going to take a serious dip but I am unsure of how far they will drop.

The disparity in the east is a product of having superior teams at the top.

The west is more competitive because there is more disparity among the teams. They are more evened out which allows for better records in the west.

The East is the tougher conference now.

oALo
01-12-2012, 06:48 PM
East is definitely the better conference. You cant bring history into making an arguement for right now.

Philly is playing well
Indiana is paying well
Chicago, NY, Miami, Orlando are still at the top of the list regarding power teams.

Atlanta losing Horford is going to take a serious dip but I am unsure of how far they will drop.

The disparity in the east is a product of having superior teams at the top.

The west is more competitive because there is more disparity among the teams. They are more evened out which allows for better records in the west.

The East is the tougher conference now.

I have to disagree...

There is more competition in the West true, how that translates in win/loss. Not as you say above. The Disparity is in the East, sub .500 teams always seem to break the Eastern conference Playoffs. As well as most of the leagues least productive teams reside there. This means the teams at the top of the East will have a drastically better win/loss than those at the bottom. Not as you say it is in the West (more competition means closer win/loss production). I would agree that it appears this year that there is more parity in the East, but the season is still young. The most telling signs typically show up after the allstar break (gives teams time to have major injures and try to counter them). Alot of teams start off really hot, only to cool off by the time they hit the playoffs. I definetely say the majority of the superstars are in the East, but the lack of competition softens the East come playoffs (inflating their records). I still think that two out of the top three teams are in the East so don't get me wrong there. But when asked which conference is better you can't give the nod to the East (they just haven't proven anything yet)

RLundi
01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
It looks about even. I don't expect any sub-.500 teams to make the postseason in the East this year. And I don't expect that from the West either.

It seems both conferences have 2 heavyweights each- Miami, Chicago, Oklahoma City, LAL; an older contender- Dallas, Boston; some upstarts- Philadelphia, Indiana, New York, Portland, Denver, LAC, Utah; and some very solid veteran teams- Orlando, Atlanta, San Antonio.

Seems about as even as it gets.

Baller1
01-12-2012, 09:41 PM
I think the bottom of the East is stronger now. Indiana and Philly are good young teams that are tough outs in the playoffs. East > West now overall.

I don't think Indiana and Philly are gonna be at the bottom of the East. They're legitimate threats for top 3-4 seeds as far as I'm concerned.

Kinglorious
01-13-2012, 12:08 AM
It's evening out now, but I'd still have to say the West.

bklynny67
01-13-2012, 02:12 AM

exactly right.. the best two teams in the NBA may be in the East... but seeds 6-8 in the East are usually mediocre at best where as the West may have a total of 10 teams above .500

last yr the East had only 6 teams above .500 and the West had 9. 8th seed in East was 8 games under .500 and 8th seed in West was 10 games over. thats just pathetic.

but yea, hard to pick the stronger side but West definitely has more good teams then the East.

bklynny67
01-13-2012, 02:19 AM
here's another angle to look at it...

compare the bad teams in each conference. the West has all teams with at least 3 wins. the East has 3 teams with only 2 wins and 1 team with 1 win. so the bottom 4 teams in the West are looking like they might be better than the bottom 4 in the East. i think West is definitely deeper, with the East being more top heavy.

i see teams like IND and PHI ending up being like ATL the last few yrs. a very solid 4 or 5 seed but without any star power it will be difficult to make much of an impact in the playoffs.

RiLoc
01-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Miami and Chicago are better than the top two teams in West. Besides that, the West is better, especially at the bottom.

It's arguable that the worst 5 teams in the NBA are all from the East. If I was an NBA team I'd much rather have the worst teams in my conference be the Wizards, Bobcats, Pistons, Nets and Raptors than the Kings, Rockets, Warriors, Hornets and Timberwolves.

leftymo
01-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Good debate but right now the east has a better conference. Just look at the contender's in each conference and their respective road records. The teams in the east are winning on the road.

When you take into account the super-team effect of the Miami Heat. And then two west players migrating east in Melo & Amare.

Then add KG and Ray Allen leaving the western conference for the east.

And other good players moving from west to east like David West and Carlos Boozer, it makes sense.

The last 3 NBA champions are from the western conference however. The west has dominated the past decade as well, with 8 of the last 11 championships coming from the west.

The young superstars are also hailing from the west with Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Durant, etc...

leftymo
01-13-2012, 04:09 PM
oh didn't even mention Deron Williams going east as well...

Heediot
01-13-2012, 04:13 PM
West untill further notice, the East has won 2-3 championships since Jordan retired from the Bulls.

eddiev22
01-13-2012, 04:31 PM
I'll say the West for now, got to wait for the season to end to see where every team ends up, but the East is closing in.

latinofire21
01-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Its definitely the east. You cant use History as a sticking point for the present.

Dallas is weaker
Clippers are stronger
Lakers are weaker
Portland is the same
Nuggets are the same
Jazz Suck
Suns Suck
Twolves Suck
Thunder are legit
Memphis is injured

West is not stronger then the east give me a break.

Heediot
01-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Its definitely the east. You cant use History as a sticking point for the present.

Dallas is weaker
Clippers are stronger
Lakers are weaker
Portland is the same
Nuggets are the same
Jazz Suck
Suns Suck
Twolves Suck
Thunder are legit
Memphis is injured

West is not stronger then the east give me a break.

The West is one game up on the East as of head to head records so far this season. Until further notice you have to say they are the West is the better conference because they have the defending NBA champions and had better head to head record last season at 254 (West) -196 (East). At worse the West is on par/even with the East, just sayin'.

Vidball
01-14-2012, 03:29 PM
The West is deeper but the East is a bit more top-heavy.