PDA

View Full Version : Why is it African players dont seem to work in the NBA?

Nick O
01-12-2012, 10:25 AM
okay mutumbo aside and i think Ibaka is a solid player why is it so many African players are contiuously drafted high yet they dont seem to work out too well, ? i understand taking a player straight from africa is obviously a risk (not that that really happens) but it even seems to be the case with african players drafted out of college. the past shows that the african players specialize in defense but many seem to bust completely. i have a list /:

and unfotunately this is what im thinking will happen with byombo . i mean Motumbo aside the african expieriments rarely work out. ALOT are drafted way too high.. did you guys know Desagne diop was a top 10 pick? thabeet , olawakandi if he counts. Cisse, ndubi Edbi (first round), pape sow /: though wish he got a shot, mouhammed sene (top 10) , Christian eyenga (first round), Mamadou N'Diaye (first round), Yinka dare (14th) was a disaster, Abdelnaby (first round),

im sure there might be others but it seems to be a trend. in my honest oppinion it seems risky drafting african players high.. just a noticed trend.

avon_barksdale
01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
loul deng?

justinnum1
01-12-2012, 10:28 AM
they seem to start at a really late age.

spreadeagle
01-12-2012, 10:45 AM
they seem to start at a really late age.

That sig hurts my brain

Kinglorious
01-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Thabeet's been a bust and a half.

Nick O
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
loul deng?

true say hes not really your typical african player but hes been decent

pacofunk64
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Even Mutumbo was very limited in what he could do offensively. I have to believe that most offensive skills start a very young age and playing with the people around you.

Add Adonle Foyle to that list as well.

pacofunk64
01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
loul deng?

But he's not a bust...he's been solid guy with above average offense but another great defender.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
the Dream?

Swashcuff
01-12-2012, 11:01 AM
the Dream?

Steve Nash?

Kinglorious
01-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Steve Nash?

Don't you try and take him away from us. :P

Mishmin
01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Desmond Tutu can ball.

Swashcuff
01-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Don't you try and take him away from us. :P

:laugh2: Well I guess Americans should do the same with the Dream :p

Heatcheck
01-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Its the same reason why Americans don't fair too well in soccer, for the most part. its the culture, they usually arent as engulfed in it as we are, watching it on tv, playing against each other from kindergarten, none of the family members use to play it. soccer takes that role.

Jetsguy
01-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Manute Bol!

Nick O
01-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Manute Bol!

lol i was thinking about him when i made this he was solid. he wasnt exactly a success :P but he was solid.. great shot blocker

blystr2002
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
That get drafted soo high because most of them are C, PF types and you can't coach size. Big men will always get drafted. They don't workout because they aren't living and breathing basketball from the age of 5. Our players start getting recruited to traveling teams playing against other top athletes when they are in middle school. They start in college.

MagicBucsSox
01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
All blk ppl are African fool, read a history book

BALLER R
01-12-2012, 11:39 AM

pretty sure this isn't a black history class. We all know that and we all know that this thread isn't about that

sep11ie
01-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Obama?

Heatcheck
01-12-2012, 11:48 AM

being of african descent and being african are 2 different things.

Heatcheck
01-12-2012, 11:50 AM
it's because they're not ghetto enough, don't hang out on the streets, local parks playing ball 24/7.

Yeah because Kobe is so ghetto.

Nick O
01-12-2012, 12:12 PM

your a dumbass .. black people come from Africa? no ****ing way :facepalm: im talking africans... as in people born in countries in the continent of Africa.. if i had said european players dont work out you would have said ? :eyebrow:

NSJ
01-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Lol Ignance at it's best

IndyRealist
01-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Because little kids outside of the US play soccer. All the best athletes become soccer players. You don't figure out someone's gonna be 7ft tall until middle school at least, and they so they're behind when they start basketball.

haggis
01-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Watch this documentary:

http://elevatethemovie.com/index.php

Nick O
01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Watch this documentary:

http://elevatethemovie.com/index.php

cool thanks

Mutombolievable
01-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Hakeem Olajuwon was pretty good

Nick O
01-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Hakeem Olajuwon was pretty good

eh he was alright.. lol jk ya one of the best of all time. tbh i completely forgot he was born in nigeria, but still for the most part.

MrfadeawayJB
01-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Maybe because they have very limited supplies and equipment. Not to mention the best basketball teachers and coaches are not over there

Nick O
01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Maybe because they have very limited supplies and equipment. Not to mention the best basketball teachers and coaches are not over there

exactly. so a big thing i dont understand is why are they still drafted so high?

Raps18-19 Champ
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
From what I know, a lot are based on athleticism and teams believe they can just teach fundamentals later on.

MagicBucsSox
01-12-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm not any name I was called, this whole thread is dumb. What if I said why is Kevin love and 1/2 of blake griffin the only good white players left? Totally ignoring Steve Nash dirk etc are white. All blacks, jamaicans, most Dominicans are African. This thread is silly. Only thing diff are the names of pure Africans are still original

Close thread

psperry34116
01-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Olajuwon is the greatest international player of all time. It isnt like there is one region which has produced tons of international stars. Africa has Mutombo, Olajuwon, Ibaka, Deng, Mbah a Moute, etc. I dont see what stands out about them

Hellcrooner
01-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Because in africa they dont have the resources to get a good training.

Is curious how Hakeem played in the Ncaa in became a legend.

Deng has played ncaa and is very good player.

Ibaka traveled to SPain and developed his game for some years with good coaches and its a good player with good upside ( in fact he should have stayed a bit more and develop his fundamentals a bit more and he woudl be beasting now)

Byombo for example is goning to bust because he spent too little time learnign in spain.

But in teh foreseable future there are going to be TONS of very good african players, and many all stars and top 20 player, because there are a lot of them in the younger divisions of Spanish/italian/French teams developing their games.

There is a god share too of african players getting into the h.s and Ncaa systems, and that will give some good ones too.

sep11ie
01-12-2012, 01:10 PM
People from Canada fail 60% of the time... every time...

Nick O
01-12-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm not any name I was called, this whole thread is dumb. What if I said why is Kevin love and 1/2 of blake griffin the only good white players left? Totally ignoring Steve Nash dirk etc are white. All blacks, jamaicans, most Dominicans are African. This thread is silly. Only thing diff are the names of pure Africans are still original

Close thread

:facepalm::facepalm: look into NBA history.. players BORN in Africa are known to struggle/bust.. thats the point im making... and no thats not the only difference if they were the same the ratio of american players to african players wouldnt be 80 to 1 . lol and what does the nash and love thing even mean? .. if i said canadian players dont work then you could use nash if i said european players are no good then you can use Dirk.. wtf are you even talking about.. the difference between african players and american players is monumental. think dumbass

Hellcrooner
01-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Olajuwon is the greatest international player of all time. It isnt like there is one region which has produced tons of international stars. Africa has Mutombo, Olajuwon, Ibaka, Deng, Mbah a Moute, etc. I dont see what stands out about them

Outside Hakeem Nba "team europe" pisses on "team africa".

I mean

Parker / Petrovic/Dirk/Gasol /Divac
Bench: Calderon / Marciulonis/Stojakovic/ Kukoc/Sabonis
third strting : Rubio / Rudy F / Bargnani/Radja/ Marc G

Nick O
01-12-2012, 01:12 PM
People from Canada fail 60% of the time... every time...

... what

ttam68
01-12-2012, 01:15 PM

All of humanity is from Africa. Read a book.

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Well the former Yugoslavia(Mostly Serbia and Croatia) has had Peja, Divac, Kukoc, Pistol Pete, and Petrovic. Also, Serbia has produced many solid role players such as Radmanovic and Krstic( before injury). For a country with not even a tenth of the population of the USA and Africa that is fairly impressive. However, I do agree with you. I do not know the OP's point. Serbia has created quite the few busts in the last decade too. The thing about international players that is so appealing is that you can get a superstar/star with a mid to late first round pick. Examples are Dirk, Peja, Rubio(kinda early but honestly the guy looks straight up nasty reminds me of a Steve Nash that can't shoot, but plays superb defense).

To answer the original question, it is because of potential. I mean look at Darko Milicic. The guy has a pretty good jumper for a center, look at his Orlando days when he actually used to shoot from mid-range, he is pretty fast, he is long, and he is strong. When you ran the guy through drills he must have looked like an absolute beast, but then he is a ****ing moron and lazy as ****, thus translating into a mediocre NBA career.

X12Celtics3
01-12-2012, 01:22 PM

Close thread

We are talking about people from Africa, not people with African heritage. Just because somebody has that skin color doesn't mean you can label them as African; Jamaicans are from Jamaica and Dominicans are from the Dominican Republic, and Africans are from Africa. What you are saying is like if somebody said "there are no good Europeans in the NBA", and somebody decided to respond with "actually, that's not true because ALL of the white players have European backgrounds!".

Heatcheck
01-12-2012, 01:22 PM

Close thread

You ARE all those names..black is an ethnicity, while being african is where your country is located. you can be black and be from anywhere in the world, just like you can be white and be from anywhere in the world. theres a big difference between saying white people(the color of your skin) are busts, and Africans (or nationality, in this case coming from a country that resides in africa).

You sound real stupid when you associate a group of people with the country they were taken from 400 years ago. the ties between the black people vast majority of black people here, and african, were cut many many generations ago. Like i said, there is a difference between being african and of african descent. Its like calling all white people whos descendants were from england, British. was Larry Bird European?

Hellcrooner
01-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Well the former Yugoslavia(Mostly Serbia and Croatia) has had Peja, Divac, Kukoc, Pistol Pete, and Petrovic. Also, Serbia has produced many solid role players such as Radmanovic and Krstic( before injury). For a country with not even a tenth of the population of the USA and Africa that is fairly impressive. However, I do agree with you. I do not know the OP's point. Serbia has created quite the few busts in the last decade too. The thing about international players that is so appealing is that you can get a superstar/star with a mid to late first round pick. Examples are Dirk, Peja, Rubio(kinda early but honestly the guy looks straight up nasty reminds me of a Steve Nash that can't shoot, but plays superb defense).

To answer the original question, it is because of potential. I mean look at Darko Milicic. The guy has a pretty good jumper for a center, look at his Orlando days when he actually used to shoot from mid-range, he is pretty fast, he is long, and he is strong. When you ran the guy through drills he must have looked like an absolute beast, but then he is a ****ing moron and lazy as ****, thus translating into a mediocre NBA career.

Lol, yep the multiple countrys formerly called yugoslavia have been a good suplier of nba talent, but Spain and France have caught up lately with it too.

Shmontaine
01-12-2012, 01:28 PM
true say hes not really your typical african player but hes been decent

is that because he's good??

KnickaBocka.44
Well the former Yugoslavia(Mostly Serbia and Croatia) has had Peja, Divac, Kukoc, Pistol Pete, and Petrovic. Also, Serbia has produced many solid role players such as Radmanovic and Krstic( before injury).

Pistol Pete was born and raised in Pennsylvania.

Hellcrooner
You ARE all those names..black is an ethnicity, while being african is where your country is located. you can be black and be from anywhere in the world, just like you can be white and be from anywhere in the world. theres a big difference between saying white people(the color of your skin) are busts, and Africans (or nationality, in this case coming from a country that resides in africa).

You sound real stupid when you associate a group of people with the country they were taken from 400 years ago. the ties between the black people vast majority of black people here, and african, were cut many many generations ago. Like i said, there is a difference between being african and of african descent. Its like calling all white people whos descendants were from england, British. was Larry Bird European?

Black is a Race, ethnicity is bout culture, example Manu ginobili / horford / carmello are all from Hispanic ethnicity, but one is white and the others are black.

You are right in the rest of your post

Nick O
01-12-2012, 01:29 PM
We are talking about people from Africa, not people with African heritage. Just because somebody has that skin color doesn't mean you can label them as African; Jamaicans are from Jamaica and Dominicans are from the Dominican Republic, and Africans are from Africa. What you are saying is like if somebody said "there are no good Europeans in the NBA", and somebody decided to respond with "actually, that's not true because ALL of the white players have European backgrounds!".

this thank you...

Nick O
01-12-2012, 01:31 PM
is that because he's good??

no hes quicker than most african players you see in the NBA and hes got a solid mid range game .. he can play away from the basket

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Pistol Pete was born and raised in Pennsylvania.

I moved to Germany when I was seven months old. I then moved to the U.S. when I was seven. English is my first language, and Chicago is my favorite city in the world. The U.S.A. is my home and I want to live here for the rest of my life. However, I am Serbian.

AntiG
01-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Being that there haven't exactly been a TON of African players that have even made it to the NBA, having Hakeem Olajuwon, Manute Bol, Luol Deng, Steve Nash, Serge Ibaka, Luc Mbah a Moute, Dikembe Mutombo, DeSagana Diop, DJ Mbenga, Michael Olowokandi all having had either solid or spectacular NBA careers, the success ratio is pretty damned great. By solid I mean either 6+ seasons (higher than the average NBA career) or is currently a significant or star player.

That's 10 out of 31 African-born players in NBA history that has succeeded in the NBA, or 32.26%. Basically 1 out of every 3 prospects succeed.

And that success group doesn't include the current young prospect players like N'Diaye and Thabeet who are still in the league and CAN still turn into successful players down the line.

Nick O
01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
I moved to Germany when I was seven months old. I then moved to the U.S. when I was seven. English is my first language, and Chicago is my favorite city in the world. The U.S.A. is my home and I want to live here for the rest of my life. However, I am Serbian.

and....? he was BORN ... in Pennsylvania

KnickaBocka.44
01-12-2012, 01:45 PM

You are not Pistol Pete. Sad to say, Pete Maravich passed away only 8 years after retiring from the NBA. I'm glad he got all of those drills on tape when he did.

Nick O
01-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Being that there haven't exactly been a TON of African players that have even made it to the NBA, having Hakeem Olajuwon, Manute Bol, Luol Deng, Steve Nash, Serge Ibaka, Luc Mbah a Moute, Dikembe Mutombo, DeSagana Diop, DJ Mbenga, Michael Olowokandi all having had either solid or spectacular NBA careers, the success ratio is pretty damned great. By solid I mean either 6+ seasons (higher than the average NBA career) or is currently a significant or star player.

That's 10 out of 31 African-born players in NBA history that has succeeded in the NBA, or 32.26%. Basically 1 out of every 3 prospects succeed.

And that success group doesn't include the current young prospect players like N'Diaye and Thabeet who are still in the league and CAN still turn into successful players down the line.

lol okay were not counting nash :P his parents werent african they were like welsh and irish or british or something :P then moved to canada.. he lived there for what? i dont think it was 2 years even haha

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 01:54 PM
You are not Pistol Pete. Sad to say, Pete Maravich passed away only 8 years after retiring from the NBA. I'm glad he got all of those drills on tape when he did.

I agree, and I would have to say that we don't know what country he would play for, atleast I don't if you have some proof I am curious to see. That is why I put him on my list. I think it all depends on where your heart is.

KnickaBocka.44
01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
lol okay were not counting nash :P his parents werent african they were like welsh and irish or british or something :P then moved to canada.. he lived there for what? i dont think it was 2 years even haha

No, Nash was actually born in South Africa and moved to Canada before he turned 2.

AntiG
01-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Nash counts. He was born in Africa. Hence why Azuibukke and Pops Mensa Bonsu don't count because they were born in the UK. Its not a race thing, we're talking about the continent of Africa.

KnickaBocka.44
01-12-2012, 01:56 PM
I agree, and I would have to say that we don't know what country he would play for, atleast I don't if you have some proof I am curious to see. That is why I put him on my list. I think it all depends on where your heart is.

Pete Maravich was born and raised in the United States of America. He NEVER lived in any other country.

John Walls Era
01-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Outside Hakeem Nba "team europe" pisses on "team africa".

I mean

Parker / Petrovic/Dirk/Gasol /Divac
Bench: Calderon / Marciulonis/Stojakovic/ Kukoc/Sabonis
third strting : Rubio / Rudy F / Bargnani/Radja/ Marc G
Lets also take into consideration that Europeans have quality clubs to go to when they are young.

Nick O
01-12-2012, 01:59 PM
No, Nash was actually born in South Africa and moved to Canada before he turned 2.

lol ya im aware of that :P but he doesnt consider himself to be african

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 02:00 PM
and....? he was BORN ... in Pennsylvania

TBTH I don't remember where I was born and have no memories of the first three years of my life. I have a lot of friends that were born in the USA but they will always say they are from wherever their parents are. I was actually born in Bosnia does that mean I am Bosnian? No.

Nick O
Nash counts. He was born in Africa. Hence why Azuibukke and Pops Mensa Bonsu don't count because they were born in the UK. Its not a race thing, we're talking about the continent of Africa.

i never said it was a race thing.. i dont know if he was ever even technically a citizen of south africa? he doesnt consider himself african

sep11ie
http://youtu.be/3_1zdAbKH8U

Hellcrooner
01-12-2012, 02:01 PM
I knew it. Thats what you were trying to get to from the start. Lets also take into consideration that Europeans have quality clubs to go to when they are young.

Thats why in my first post i deffend that african players are going to be much better soon because a ton of them are growing up and playing in the european teams young divisions and learning.

Nick O
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM
TBTH I don't remember where I was born and have no memories of the first three years of my life. I have a lot of friends that were born in the USA but they will always say they are from wherever their parents are. I was actually born in Bosnia does that mean I am Bosnian? No.

i.. i still dont see your point

KnickaBocka.44
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM

You are struggling even more than I originally thought.

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Pete Maravich was born and raised in the United States of America. He NEVER lived in any other country.

Dude, what don't you get. I have plenty of friends that NEVER left the country. I mean NEVER EVER left the country. Let me repeat that for you again they NEVER left the country. They NEVER consider themselves to be American. Let me repeat that incase you don't understand if you ask them if they are American they will ALWAYS say no. I don't care if you consider Pistol Pete American or not. Heck, you can say he is Chinese. I just don't want you to think only because you never left a country doesn't mean you feel like you belong to it. Cultures can be passed down by parents it doesn't have to be where you were raised.

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 02:07 PM
i.. i still dont see your point

My point is that only because you are born in a certain country doesn't mean you are that. Like lets say I was born in China, that doesn't mean I am Chinese.

Nick O
01-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Dude, what don't you get. I have plenty of friends that NEVER left the country. I mean NEVER EVER left the country. Let me repeat that for you again they NEVER left the country. They NEVER consider themselves to be American. Let me repeat that incase you don't understand if you ask them if they are American they will ALWAYS say no. I don't care if you consider Pistol Pete American or not. Heck, you can say he is Chinese. I just don't want you to think only because you never left a country doesn't mean you feel like you belong to it. Cultures can be passed down by parents it doesn't have to be where you were raised.

.... ya actually .. if he was never a european citizen then he cant be european .. he can want to be european :P but hes not.. lol i can say im chinese doesnt make it true .. my drivers licsense says Canada :p .. plus when did Pete ever say he was european?

Nick O
01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
My point is that only because you are born in a certain country doesn't mean you are that. Like lets say I was born in China, that doesn't mean I am Chinese.

.. yes it does.. if thats the country you are legally a citizen of. you may not want to be but you are lol..

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
You are struggling even more than I originally thought.

I don't know what you do not comprehend. I am saying only because Pistol Pete was born in the U.S.A doesn't mean he isn't Serbian. I wasn't born in Serbia and I am Serbian. How can you argue with that? I am not saying he is Serbian, because I believe that he can decide that, but don't assume he isn't either.

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 02:10 PM
.. yes it does.. if thats the country you are legally a citizen of. you may not want to be but you are lol..

I am a legal citizen of three countries. What am I?

Nick O
01-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't know what you do not comprehend. I am saying only because Pistol Pete was born in the U.S.A doesn't mean he isn't Serbian. I wasn't born in Serbia and I am Serbian. How can you argue with that? I am not saying he is Serbian, because I believe that he can decide that, but don't assume he isn't either.

HAHAHAHAHHAAH why would anyone ever even think he is serbian? .. that doesnt make sense... where do you get that from? . he was LEGALLY an american citizen.. he had an american citizenship... if Pete ever got arrested he would be tried by the american court system.. what dont you understand here

KnickaBocka.44
01-12-2012, 02:11 PM

You are the one missing the point. He was born and raised in America which is where the majority of NBA players come from. This conversation is about basketball and where players learn to play it and the effect it has on development. Pete Maravich learned to play basketball in America and no where else.

Pete Maravich's father, Press Maravich, was also a professional basketball player born in Pennsylvania and NEVER lived anywhere in Europe. I hope that will settle things.

Nick O
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I am a legal citizen of three countries. What am I?

your a citizen of all of 3 of those.. you can have multiple citizenships... if your american, french and chinese then thats what you are.. not spanish tho :p this isnt going anywhere .. my head hurts -.-

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM

I guess it depends on opinion. I consider someone American if they truly feel they are American not just by what a piece of paper says. However, I do see your view we just have different view on what it means to be American or Serbian.

Nick O
01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I guess it depends on opinion. I consider someone American if they truly feel they are American not just by what a piece of paper says. However, I do see your view we just have different view on what it means to be American or Serbian.

right.. whatever.. but how did you connect pete marovich with serbia?

Hellcrooner
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
in regards to this thread what matters is where you we born, nothing else.

Wich remembers me that i can replace rudy fernandez fro wally scerbiak in the all time euro line up, since he was born in Madrid,Spain.

KnickaBocka.44

The difference is that everyone in America once came from somewhere else so in order to avoid conflict, we are all Americans first and then we trace our roots. If your friends who live in America say they are not American, then they are just choosing not to embrace our community.

Dnovakovic099
You are the one missing the point. He was born and raised in America which is where the majority of NBA players come from. This conversation is about basketball and where players learn to play it and the effect it has on development. Pete Maravich learned to play basketball in America and no where else.

Pete Maravich's father, Press Maravich, was also a professional basketball player born in Pennsylvania and NEVER lived anywhere in Europe. I hope that will settle things.

I hope you know that we were arguing two different things lol. I assumed when you said Pistol Pete was born in Penn you were implying that he isn't Serbian and not anything about training. Also, I did not know where his father was born thank you for the information.

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
right.. whatever.. but how did you connect pete marovich with serbia?

He is of Serbian descent. If you don't believe me google Pistol Pete and Serbia and you will find a ton of ****. However, now that I found out his dad was also born in Penn. then I would take him off of my list because second generations tend to stick to the country they were born in.

Dnovakovic099
01-12-2012, 02:30 PM
The difference is that everyone in America once came from somewhere else so in order to avoid conflict, we are all Americans first and then we trace our roots. If your friends who live in America say they are not American, then they are just choosing not to embrace our community.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I wouldn't say I am American, but I do embrace our community. Then again if I went to Serbia they would all call me the American so I guess it's a moot point. Also, I have yet to meet a person that says they are American first, but maybe that is just assumed seeing as though we live here.