PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at the 2009 draft, WTF were the Grizzlies thinking?

AI4MVP
01-12-2012, 04:21 AM
I never understood the Thabeet pick to be completely honest. I mean,not only did they already have there future center in Marc Gasol, but EVERYBODY KNEW HASHEEM THABEET WAS GOING TO BE A BUST. It was almost too easy to call. He was the stereotypical bust and had it written all over his forehead. I think even Memphis knew he was a bust, as he only played 13 mpg his rookie year and not even really given a chance.

Not the Conley is a bad point guard at all(and btw not that the Grizz are bad by any means...they are actually very good), but how much better would they be right now if they didnt make the mistake that literally everybody on this planet could call and take Thabeet over:

Ricky Rubio, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry, and even Brandon Jennings.

Hellcrooner
01-12-2012, 04:28 AM
f

shep33
01-12-2012, 04:30 AM
Man, imagine Rubio with that team. Pretty sick, although Conley is pretty damn good himself.

MetroMan
01-12-2012, 04:34 AM
they wanted the mister finger waiving hall of famer replica

Hellcrooner
01-12-2012, 04:35 AM
http://www.bajistas.org/forum/images/smiles/064.gif

dont remember them.

celmxc
01-12-2012, 04:43 AM
http://www.nba.com/draft2009/ ... james harden...

D1JM
01-12-2012, 04:45 AM
didnt they want to move marc gasol to the PF position. i dont think they had zbo yet

Supa
01-12-2012, 04:46 AM
It's always easier looking back. Hindsight is 20/20.

Lakers have great front office, but if looking back, they could had drafted Mo Williams, Kendrick Perkins, Josh Howard, or Leandro Barbosa. Instead, they drafted Brian Cook and Luke Walton.

And you can create similar thread on every NBA team by looking back.

---

The_Jamal
01-12-2012, 04:51 AM
Didn't realize how good the 2009 draft actually was:

BG, Harden, Reke, Rubio and Curry all have top 20 potential

Derick713
01-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Teams make mistakes. The Grizzles could sure James Harden right about now. The rest of the league would probably be happy if James Harden wasn't on the Thunder. I'm go out on a limb and say the Grizzles probably regret not keeping Kevin Love. The T-Wolves probably regret not taking DeMarcus Cousins.

Look what happened to the Miami Heat in 2008. The Heat were favored to win the 1st overall pick in the draft that year. The Bulls won the rights to 1st pick and became the biggest threat to the Heat. The Heat then made matters worse by passing on Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, Brook Lopez, JaValee McGee, Danilo Gallanari, Serge Ibaka, and Nicolas Batum. The 2008 NBA Draft provided the Thunder with Russell Westbrook, and Serge Ibaka. The 2008 NBA Draft provided the Bulls with Derrick Rose and Omer Asik. The 2008 NBA Draft provided the Clippers with DeAndre Jordan. The Heat passed on DeAndre Jordan for Mario Chalmers. It's amazing what mistakes in a draft can do to the future of the league. The Heat passed on Marc Gasol in 2007 and took International Center Stanko Barac and traded him to the Pacers.

abe_froman
01-12-2012, 06:03 AM
maybe they werent totally sold on gasol/zbo working out and wanted another big to hedge themselves,that and they were sold on conley(they gave him that big extension while everyone was still ******** on him) and mayo,back then(hell they traded kevin love for him the previous year)

Bruno
01-12-2012, 06:13 AM
they were banking on mayo who they took third in 2008. theys why they didn't go for evans or harden at the SG in 2009. the thabeet pick never made any sense. they should have taken love in 2008 and Haren in 2009.

Conley Jr.
Haren/Allen
Gay
Love/Randolph
Gasol/Randolph.

they could have evenly distributed 96 minutes at the PF/C three ways and had a rotating twin-tower effect like the Lakers in '09 & '10 or they could have shipped Randolph and filled in the bench nicely, or get future picks. not bad.

bholly
01-12-2012, 06:28 AM
^^ As someone else said, they didn't have Zach at that point. He came a few weeks later.

OP, I don't think it's fair to say everyone knew Thabeet was a bust. Chad Ford had him 7th on his top 100, and gave them an A- for the draft - mostly for the other guys, but his comments on Thabeets defense were very common at the time:

Round 1: Hasheem Thabeet (2), DeMarre Carroll (27)

Round 2: Sam Young (36)

Analysis: I am not a huge fan of Thabeet but understand why the Grizzlies went that way. Ricky Rubio wasn't cooperating, and Thabeet can help the Grizzlies, who needed a big, athletic shot-blocker. He is limited offensively, but he can change the game on defense.

Later in the draft is where the Grizzlies really shone. I loved the Carroll and Young picks. They give the Grizzlies toughness and two players who can come in and contribute immediately.

I've been pretty harsh about some of the Grizzlies' shortcomings in the past, but for the second year in a row, I think they've drafted really well.
Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-090626

This is from the ESPN coverage (insider now, because it's so old, but it was free):

Apr 14 Update:Thabeet's decision to enter the NBA Draft comes as no surprise. He's been flirting with the draft since a freshman, but wanted assurances he'd be a lottery pick. This year, he'll get it. Thabeet is the best shot blocker in college basketball and a dominant defensive presence. He's still work in progress on the offensive end, but most NBA execs see him as being a potential Dikembe Mutombo player someday. A few however are wary and wonder if his lack of feel for the game will limit his upside. Either way, he looks like a lock for the Top 10 and a potential Top 3 pick.

May 14 Update: Thabeet is one of the most polarizing players in the draft. NBA scouts and executives either love him or hate him as a prospect. The majority are enamored with Thabeet's size, mobility and elite shot-blocking ability. They see a player who could instantly make a difference on the defensive end of the floor and think he should be a top-five pick in the draft. A few even have him ranked as high as No. 2 on their draft boards. A smaller group thinks he could be a bust, and I have been in that camp for the past two years.
Source: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/players/news/_/id/19024/hasheem-thabeet

Andy Katz was high on his D too:

• Hasheem Thabeet (Memphis -- No. 2): It's a joke that Thabeet thought about coming out last year. His offensive game is still light years behind his defense and shot-blocking, but he made himself into a legitimate NBA defender by staying three seasons at Connecticut.
Source: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/4288788/spurs-feel-fortunate-draft-blair-second

As for other sources, nbadraft.net had him 6th on their big board and compared him to Mutombo (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/hasheem-thabeet), draftexpress had him 3rd in their mock (http://web.archive.org/web/20090612084059/http://www.draftexpress.com/).

I mean, there were concerns, but everyone had him pretty high. It wasn't like they came out of nowhere and picked a nobody. Everyone thought this guy was going to be a really useful defender.
As someone else said, hindsight is 20/20.

beerman28
01-12-2012, 08:11 AM
What about ur twolves?? Johnny flynn instead of curry.. That totally woulda changed ur team..
Rubio, curry, love.. Thats a very solid trio.. and I know u had to wait for rubio but still

beerman28
01-12-2012, 08:13 AM
And theres soo many threads that can be open on drafting busts.. Look at portland taking odom over durant

Jint.
01-12-2012, 09:01 AM
they thought they were drafting the next Mutombo..

Bruno
01-12-2012, 09:55 AM
^^ As someone else said, they didn't have Zach at that point. He came a few weeks later.

in the scenario i was proposing they would have taken love in 2008 over mayo, leaving them with gay/love/gasol in the front court, so they wouldn't have gone for thabeet in '09 regardless of randolph because the front-court woud have been established. Paring Conley in the back court w/ a sg like harden or evans would have filled in that lineup nicely.

AntiG
01-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Thabeet was a friggin defensive monster in college with terrific size and decent athleticism for that size. Who knew he'd never be able to figure out advanced skills? At the time, he was a fine pick.

ramz.n
01-12-2012, 10:10 AM
high risk...high reward my friend.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2012, 10:10 AM
It's always easier looking back. Hindsight is 20/20.

Lakers have great front office, but if looking back, they could had drafted Mo Williams, Kendrick Perkins, Josh Howard, or Leandro Barbosa. Instead, they drafted Brian Cook and Luke Walton.

And you can create similar thread on every NBA team by looking back.

---

exactly. Pistons picking Darko over Wade, Bosh, and Melo. Every team has a few picks that are total head scratchers after the fact. Some teams have a lot.

theheatles
01-12-2012, 10:22 AM
nba draft is more potential than anything and thabeet had more upside with his size

NYKnickFanatic
01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
And theres soo many threads that can be open on drafting busts.. Look at portland taking odom over durant

Yeah, still cant believe they passed on Durant for Odom!

Westbrook36
01-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Thabeet had a lot of potential coming out of college actually, he progressed a whole lot during his time at UCONN. If he was able to fill out his body he had the length and athletic ability to become something in the NBA. Every single team can look back and change draft picks, it also depends on coaching staff/System.

rhymeratic
01-12-2012, 10:33 AM
In 2009 they didn't get Z-BO until after the draft if memory serves me right. At the time as well you gotta understand that they felt Kyle Lowry was preventing Mike Conley from developing so they didn't want to take another PG or hybrid PG that would kill his confidence. There wasn't anything really available at PF or C outside of Blake Griffin. They really should have traded the 2nd pick except NOBODY wanted to move up like that.

Can't get mad at them for taking a big in Thabeet. At the sametime Thabeet did play relatively well of UConn and didn't show such a bad game until he hit the pro's. I don't think he's a complete waste or bust but rather a player that won't develop until late and even then will never be an offensive force. He'll be a nice 20 min a night backup.

69centers
01-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Hey, I'm not gonna criticize them when we traded away Marshon Brooks for JaJuan Johnson in this year's draft. :facepalm:

rhymeratic
01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
On top of that... I get the sneaky feeling he's not as bad as seen. I think he can be at a minimum Darko. He needs a team that'll work with him. Imagine if he played with Miami.

AFG-NYC
01-12-2012, 02:33 PM
The knicks took Jordan Hill in that draft. So Memphis should not get too much blame and if Memphis hadnt drafted him and he had fell, the knicks were goint get him at #8.

You know what it is? These so called experts dont have a clue as to what is going on. Most of the times its the players that dont get alot of hype that turn out to be good.

GrapeSoda
01-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah, still cant believe they passed on Durant for Odom!

:laugh: you beat me to it

GrapeSoda
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
We can go back and look at every single draft there will always be a bust pick and a potential top 20 player a few picks later ..

GrapeSoda
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
On top of that... I get the sneaky feeling he's not as bad as seen. I think he can be at a minimum Darko. He needs a team that'll work with him. Imagine if he played with Miami.

He would still suck ..

Hellcrooner
01-12-2012, 02:45 PM
everybody is framing memphis but im not sure if wizard move was worst, handng their pick ( rubio) to minnie for mike miller and brewer???? wtf!!!!!!!

DR_1
01-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Man, imagine Rubio with that team. Pretty sick, although Conley is pretty damn good himself.

:drool: