PDA

View Full Version : Is John Wall regressing?

DW3421
01-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Seen him play twice this year and I wasn't that impressed at all.

thenetslegend
01-12-2012, 12:10 AM
yes but so is the whole wizards team

DW3421
01-12-2012, 12:12 AM
yes but so is the whole wizards team

Agreed!

Answer=Insert new coach to lite a fire under Wall's ***!

Hawkeye15
01-12-2012, 12:14 AM
He desperately needs to work on his shooting, but his 2-way potential is elite.

John Walls Era
01-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Please just trade him away for a 2nd rounder.

Sportfan
01-12-2012, 12:16 AM
^How about an Andray Blatche clone?

I wish Wall was a 2 or some other position so we could trade for him, everyone sleeping on my man Wall :pity:

mavwar53
01-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Too tough to tell with games being seemingly every day, he played just 69 games last year I don't think he's ready to go 66 games while cutting off 2 months of the season.

Also it wouldn't surprise me if he does regress, there are a lot of good PG's out there that know how to handle younger PG's and take them out of their game, look what happened to Tyreke, right now this is the second straight year his stats are going backwards, I'd be more worried about him rather than Wall.

Slimsim
01-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I remember people saying he would surpass rose you know who you are

Shareeb_omac2
01-12-2012, 12:28 AM

I said that. I still think that.

But, that whole Wizards team is completely dysfunctional and they need to get real weapons next to Wall. The only players on that roster worth keeping are Wall and McGee.

Wall has been forcing a lot of bad shots when he does shoot this season.

bears88
01-12-2012, 12:29 AM
how Wall's work ethic?? maybe that's part of his struggles?? ( I maybe wrong)

Monta is beast
01-12-2012, 12:36 AM
There going to be scary if they get Andre Drummond. I wonder if they would trade McGee then?

SeoulBeatz
01-12-2012, 12:42 AM
No, he is just playing on a horrible team with horrible chemistry.

If I were John, I'd request a trade/walk as soon as my contract is up.

He belongs in a bigger market, go to the Lakers.

biglord
01-12-2012, 12:44 AM
wall is just not a good player, if you limit his drives & you make him shoot he can do nothing.

DaBear
01-12-2012, 12:44 AM

John Wall is trying too hard to be like Rose, but never will be. He simply doesn't have that touch on the ball as Rose does. That can't be taught by any coach.

310Casper
01-12-2012, 12:46 AM
I remember when he was on pace to be the next D12/cp3/deron

DaBear
01-12-2012, 12:47 AM

But, that whole Wizards team is completely dysfunctional and they need to get real weapons next to Wall. The only players on that roster worth keeping are Wall and McGee.

Bad team or not, there is no excuse for shooting 34% from the field. He's not that good. Period.

More-Than-Most
01-12-2012, 12:47 AM
He needs to work on his shooting badly. Its also still early and he plays on a terrible team. That being said he has not looked good

Ezio
01-12-2012, 12:48 AM
He needs a better coach. Dunno how you let a team get 6 OREBs in one possession.

papipapsmanny
01-12-2012, 01:00 AM
honestly get rid of Blatche and Crawford. Both irritate the **** out of me.

The Possession ends when either of them get the ball. Once the ball leaves Walls hands, it never comes back, they do not run the offense through him at all.

Fire Flip Saunders too **** him.

O and its really to early to judge if he can reach his potential, he is 21, and on a real crappy team.

kozelkid
01-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Aside from the fact that Wall doesn't have a jumper (not that big of a deal. If Kidd and Rose can become lethal shooters, then so can Wall with some work), the biggest fear with him seems his unwillingness to take over at times as is the case with many other pass first pgs like Chris Paul. He's too good not to take over at times.

Watching the game, I was just thinking how easy Wall was crossing John ****ing Lucas and yet he'd pass out of numerous easy shots for his teammates. Factor in that he's passing to inefficient, ballhogs, and ya, he's gonna look bad.

However, it is as much on Wall as his teammates. Rose suffered a similar issue in his sophomore year (albeit not nearly as bad). Wall needs to accept that his team sucks and start taking more of a scoring load.

Of course we can go on with what he isn't particularly good at which is his jumper, finishing around the rim and his TOs, but the fact of the matter is that he is too damn talented to still not be playing at least at an allstar level. Bottomline, he needs to demand the ball and score for himself at this point.

AI4MVP
01-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Big time

uptownfan
01-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Wall has been incredibly bad this season. For some reason it has irritated me (even though I'm a Bulls fan). I think the reason it's annoying me is because there really is no pinpointed answer for why he's been so awful. I'm guessing it's from lack of hard work in the offseason, but even then it's puzzling that he's only shooting 34%. It's more than just being on a bad team IMO

DerekRE_3
01-12-2012, 01:14 AM
He'll be fine. It's early and there are a lot of players slumping early in the year.

papipapsmanny
01-12-2012, 01:14 AM
I really really hope, the wiz can Trade Blatche, Crawford, and Seraphin for a solid 1st round pick (like 15-22)

And also land the number 1 pick in the draft.

Take Anthony Davis with that first pick, and Terrence Ross with the other

Then in the 2nd take the best player available.

I'd also resign Nick Young, because I do like his shot, and he has been less stupid as time goes on. He actually will pass now, still does stupid ****, but I would like to keep him

papipapsmanny
01-12-2012, 01:15 AM
and whats with all the bulls fans saying "lack of hard work" BS? Yeah right, thats all he did in the offseason was work on his jumper and play basketball. Just not translating yet

uptownfan
01-12-2012, 01:21 AM
and whats with all the bulls fans saying "lack of hard work" BS? Yeah right, thats all he did in the offseason was work on his jumper and play basketball. Just not translating yet

It seems like a reasonable explanation. Wall wasn't the number 1 pick for no reason. Number 1 picks shouldn't be playing this badly. Just because he worked on his jumpshot in the offseason doesn't mean he was working as hard as he should have been to prepare for the year

MU and UW Fan
01-12-2012, 01:21 AM
On a crappy team and so far a classic case of a sophomore slump.

justsaymatte
01-12-2012, 01:22 AM

Yes IMHO.

He doesn't seem to trust his teammates to either make the right play or get the ball back from them to reset and I for one can't blame him. Young, Blatche, Crawford, and Lewis only seem interested in throwing the ball in the general direction of the hoop when they get it instead of finding the open man or a good shot.

I would blow that team up and rebuild from McGee and Wall.

Slimsim
01-12-2012, 01:25 AM
we will give them mike D for nick young

JasonJohnHorn
01-12-2012, 02:01 AM
I expect a low FG% out of a rookie, so him being around 40% last year, I could deal with, but he's shooting less than that this year. Maybe he's struggling, maybe it's coaching, but lets face it, teams are putting their reserves on the court against this team. If Wall is shooting in the mid 30% range against reserves...

He keeps this up and he won't even be in the league next year! But i hope, considering how talented he is, that this is just a bad streak, because he's got the potential to be a great player.

jam
01-12-2012, 03:10 AM
Rose has two traits which John Wall will never have as a basketball player: intelligence and composure. Rose and Wall are literally members of two different species.

AddiX
01-12-2012, 03:21 AM
The problem with really good Kentucky pgs is they dint teach them anything in that system, they let them do what they want, because they are so good coming out of high school.

Than they go to the NBA, and it's a completely different story.

What Derek rose has done to adjust to the NBA game is quite an accomplishment, one i didnt think he could make this fast. Most people Don't realize in caliperi's system he barely teaches these young pgs anything.

Wall looks completely lost and at this point his biggest NBA moment is doing the dougie and looking like a damn clown.

Shareeb_omac2
01-12-2012, 03:45 AM
It's only 10 games. If his numbers still look this way after the season then we'll talk.

The Wizards as a team are one of the worst shooting teams in the league... The are the worst in team FG% and only completing 29.4% of their 3's. If you would actually watch a Wizards game you would notice teams are clogging the paint and aren't worried about anyone but Wall.

As of now the Wizards average 15.4 assists a game as a team(2nd worst in the league). John Wall accounts for 7.1 of them.

The Derrick Rose fans are so quick to jump all over John Wall. You guys do realize that the averages John Wall put up in his rookie year for rebounds(4.6), assists (8.3), and steals(1.8) would be career highs for Derrick Rose right?

By the way, name one player on the Wizards that would start on the Bulls?

Cubs Win
01-12-2012, 05:03 AM
It's only 10 games. If his numbers still look this way after the season then we'll talk.

The Wizards as a team are one of the worst shooting teams in the league... The are the worst in team FG% and only completing 29.4% of their 3's. If you would actually watch a Wizards game you would notice teams are clogging the paint and aren't worried about anyone but Wall.

As of now the Wizards average 15.4 assists a game as a team(2nd worst in the league). John Wall accounts for 7.1 of them.

The Derrick Rose fans are so quick to jump all over John Wall. You guys do realize that the averages John Wall put up in his rookie year for rebounds(4.6), assists (8.3), and steals(1.8) would be career highs for Derrick Rose right?

By the way, name one player on the Wizards that would start on the Bulls?

You do realize this thread is asking if he is regressing? It's not stating that he was never good! I'm a Bulls fan but I've followed John Wall since his late high school days and enjoy watching him. He's electric!

But you do realize teams attempted to clog the lane against Rose during his sophomore year as well (and still do)? But he managed to shoot 48.9% for the year. After tonight's game Wall is shooting 33.8% from the field.

One thing I've never heard too much about is his work ethic. Is it strong? Because then I would expect him to overcome this slump and become a great PG. But his mindset, as of now at least, won't allow him to be the type of PG that wins an MVP award.

abe_froman
01-12-2012, 05:12 AM
The problem with really good Kentucky pgs is they dint teach them anything in that system, they let them do what they want, because they are so good coming out of high school.

Than they go to the NBA, and it's a completely different story.

What Derek rose has done to adjust to the NBA game is quite an accomplishment, one i didnt think he could make this fast. Most people Don't realize in caliperi's system he barely teaches these young pgs anything.

Wall looks completely lost and at this point his biggest NBA moment is doing the dougie and looking like a damn clown.

this

like many college coaches ,cal just rides them, banking on them just out talenting everyone and do what they normally do to win(which is relatively easy to do in college),and and come into the nba doing the same thing (as rookies do).but the league will adjust to you ,to stop that.hence why the likes of wall,evans struggle after their rookie year because they never learned how to respond,no one(namely cal)never taught them them to

Shareeb_omac2
01-12-2012, 05:34 AM
You do realize this thread is asking if he is regressing? It's not stating that he was never good! I'm a Bulls fan but I've followed John Wall since his late high school days and enjoy watching him. He's electric!

But you do realize teams attempted to clog the lane against Rose during his sophomore year as well (and still do)? But he managed to shoot 48.9% for the year. After tonight's game Wall is shooting 33.8% from the field.

One thing I've never heard too much about is his work ethic. Is it strong? Because then I would expect him to overcome this slump and become a great PG. But his mindset, as of now at least, won't allow him to be the type of PG that wins an MVP award.

My comment was directed at the Bulls fans that base all criticism toward Wall based off of Derrick Rose.

Look at the teammates Wall has and then take a look at the team around Rose... and to make your point look at the teammates he had in his second season.

Wizards best 3 offensive weapons
-Nick Young 14.3ppg 37.8%
-Andray Blatche 11.8ppg 39%
-Rashard Lewis 9.1ppg 38.6% (23.8% from 3)

It doesn't even compare. Wall has a terrible team and faces a more crowded paint then Rose ever has. Rose has always had consistent scoring from other sources that are efficient.

I also want to make it clear that I am not a Kentucky or Wizards fan. There is no bias on my part... I live in Maryland and watch several Wizards games due to them being televised locally.

MJ-BULLS
01-12-2012, 05:37 AM

I remember. people bought into the hype too much. :laugh2:

look, im not saying the kid is going to suck and be a bust or anything, he surely has the talent to be good, but he isnt looking too good right now. His shooting is atrocious.

Nick O
01-12-2012, 09:21 AM
well tbh on such a terrible team i expect good stats.. but at the same time i imagine hes probably pissed with where he is right now

thenaj17
01-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Nick Young is a good solid role player aswell!

avon_barksdale
01-12-2012, 10:25 AM
ima wiz fan... the team needa blow up big time

they needa get rid of blatche young n lewis and build around wall mcgee singleton n veesly

avon_barksdale
01-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Nick Young is a good solid role player aswell!

no he aint he jus be chuckin up terrible shots

Ebbs
01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Jennings has been better.

JJ_JKidd
01-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Its because a lot of people expected too much from him

tyfreaks brotha
01-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Too tough to tell with games being seemingly every day, he played just 69 games last year I don't think he's ready to go 66 games while cutting off 2 months of the season.

Also it wouldn't surprise me if he does regress, there are a lot of good PG's out there that know how to handle younger PG's and take them out of their game, look what happened to Tyreke, right now this is the second straight year his stats are going backwards, I'd be more worried about him rather than Wall.

Tyreke's play has actually gone up since we fired the moron Paul Westphal.

sep11ie
01-12-2012, 11:49 AM

Then obviously.

Celticsfan2007
01-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Sophmore slump + he is playing with a bunch of scrubs

alencp3
01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
3 years from now he will be the best PG in the game

Ebbs
01-12-2012, 12:37 PM
No he won't unless Rose is forced to retire. Rose is hands down light years ahead of Wall. And not older by a significant margin. Honestly Paul/Westbrook will probably be better too.

MrfadeawayJB
01-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Just a typical sophomore slump. Look who is on his team though. No good veteran influences, and a roster full of ball stoppers

papipapsmanny
01-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I would keep: Mo Evans, Singleton, Vesley, Booker, Wall, Mcgee, Mack, and maybe nick young (off the bench)

I would absolutely trade, or get rid of Jordan Crawford, Blatche, and Rashard Lewis.

Maybe: Seraphin, he sucks, but he doesn't chuck the ball up, maybe can become a defensive presence.

fresh prince
01-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Aside from the fact that Wall doesn't have a jumper (not that big of a deal. If Kidd and Rose can become lethal shooters, then so can Wall with some work), the biggest fear with him seems his unwillingness to take over at times as is the case with many other pass first pgs like Chris Paul. He's too good not to take over at times.

Watching the game, I was just thinking how easy Wall was crossing John ****ing Lucas and yet he'd pass out of numerous easy shots for his teammates. Factor in that he's passing to inefficient, ballhogs, and ya, he's gonna look bad.

However, it is as much on Wall as his teammates. Rose suffered a similar issue in his sophomore year (albeit not nearly as bad). Wall needs to accept that his team sucks and start taking more of a scoring load.

Of course we can go on with what he isn't particularly good at which is his jumper, finishing around the rim and his TOs, but the fact of the matter is that he is too damn talented to still not be playing at least at an allstar level. Bottomline, he needs to demand the ball and score for himself at this point.

Well said.. He needs to step up and LEAD his team in every aspect. There is no need for him to defer tO nICK yOUNG AND jAVALE mCGEE

He has it in him. He just needs a pep talk from someone.. A Coach , GM, Mentor... Kobe.. Mike James someone

GrapeSoda
01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
The Wizards are absolutely terrible, John Wall is playing horribly as well but their team chemistry is just pitiful .. I would literally trade everyone on the roster besides Wall and maybe Mcgee/Vesely .. pray to God you get a top pick and draft a potential star to play alongside Wall

3mikee_
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
That team is killing this kid.. and I don't think all the summer league street ball helped him very much either.

phoenix_bladen
01-13-2012, 02:45 PM
and evan turner is a bust too

GrapeSoda
01-13-2012, 02:47 PM
and evan turner is a bust too

:confused:

Cool007
01-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Sophmore slump I can understand but excuse of "he is playing with bunch of scrubs" is nothing but an excuse.

Yes, playing next to scrubs, you may not get many assists but your own poor performance is totally on you and nothing to do with poor teammates.

2 things - He doesn't seem to have work on his overall game in the offseason and his shooting looks horrible (reminds me of Brandon Jennings). His defense looks pathetic. He is turning it over carelessly and he is not a natural leader that I thought he would be.

Those things are attributing to him being a not a good (all-star caliber) player.

This is why working hard in the offseason and improving on your weaknesses is what makes a player great. He better learn from it and come back strong.

Becks2307
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
john walls shooting is absolutely atrocious

33% from the field....and get this

0% ZERO from 3 lmao

sager729
01-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah Wall is absolute garbage right now. What's scary is Rondo is a better shooter than Wall. If you actually think Wall can be like Rose you are wrong. Rose may have the best work ethic in the league. I don't see Wall going out in the offseason and shooting 1000 jumpers a day. Rose is one of the top players on offense and defense. Wall will not be that. I think he will be a good PG in a few years, but he won't be as good as Rose, CP3 or Westbrook and even Rondo I don't see. Rondo is a wizard with his passes, he just can't shoot.

5ass
01-13-2012, 04:13 PM
he'll be fine, the guy will be one of the best PGs in the league very soon, and will be in the debate for best PG in the NBA later on in his career. He just needs to work harder on his game, i thought he would come back much improved this season, so far its not looking good. Wizards need to make some changes too though

WeBallin
01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
he's not Regressing he has hit that wall (No pun intended) but i think he will still be a star.. He's not playin with the talent he was surrounded with at ketucky, Defenses are solely focusing on him, so it makes it difficult to preform

Becks2307
01-14-2012, 04:33 AM
kyrie irving> john wall

Rndy
01-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Early on in Roses second year he struggled pretty bad as well. Wall needs to stop settling for jump shots until he gets better at it.

Becks2307
01-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Early on in Roses second year he struggled pretty bad as well. Wall needs to stop settling for jump shots until he gets better at it.

didn't rose have a BAD ankle injury at that time as well?