PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's wrist injury helping his midrange?

sp1derm00
01-11-2012, 02:58 PM
http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kobe%20Bryant

I realize 11 games is a small sample size.

Kobe has shot 8 FGA/gm from 16-23ft. this season, connecting on 52% of them

He has been shooting 4.2FGA/gm 10-15ft., connecting on 52.2% on them

While the 10-15 numbers pretty much are the same as previous season's, his 16-23ft jumpers are connecting better.

Kobe has said that he has shortened his follow through and this has helped him maintain his shot... aside from his 3's. Do you think this change could have possibly improved his midrange game?

Hellcrooner
01-11-2012, 03:02 PM
it can be two things.

Kobe FAKING the injury to look good ( wich wouldnt surprise me at all)

Or, a real problem in the future because if it REALLY is hurt, playing hero and shooting 40 shots a game will unavoidably end up making the damage both Worse and Imposible to cure, wich will lead to him needing 60 shots to make his 40 points games.

In any case its hurting the team.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
it can be two things.

Or, a real problem in the future because if it REALLY is hurt, playing hero and shooting 40 shots a game will unavoidably end up making the damage both Worse and Imposible to cure, wich will lead to him needing 60 shots to make his 40 points games.

please stop, you make us, laker fans look bad.

Hellcrooner
01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
please stop, you make us, laker fans look bad.

You mean "kobe" Fans?

Any Laker fan that cares for the team would see on how many levels what Kobe is doing is wrong for the TEAM md and long term.

GrapeSoda
01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
it can be two things.

I don't think he is "faking" any injury, I do believe he is in some type of pain but I think the media over exaggerates Kobe's injuries like crazy. Not a knock on Kobe though, he plays through a lot he is a warrior, but I don't think his injury is as bad as everyone is making it out to be

shep33
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Enough with the Kobe threads lol. Love my fellow Laker fans, but I think we have to move some of these back to the Lakers forum

Hellcrooner
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
I don't think he is "faking" any injury, I do believe he is in some type of pain but I think the media over exaggerates Kobe's injuries like crazy. Not a knock on Kobe though, he plays through a lot he is a warrior, but I don't think his injury is as bad as everyone is making it out to be

Yep.

When he plays "injured" media is all over him.

I still have to see anyone calling Pau " warrior", you know? the dude is playing with an injured/sore Shoulder, wearing a bondage shirt on it.

shep33
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Yep.

I still have to see anyone calling Pau " warrior", you know? the dude is playing with an injured/sore Shoulder, wearing a bondage shirt on it.

Crooner I have never seen you say anything positive about another Laker player outside of Pau.

Hellcrooner
01-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Crooner I have never seen you say anything positive about another Laker player outside of Pau.

Check yesterdays game thread, lots of good things on walton.

three days ago, lots of good things on Barnes.

and so on and on.

beliges
01-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Yep.

The dude has a torn ligament in his shooting hand. He has to take an injection in his hand just to be able to play. This wasnt something he was announcing, but rather something the media picked up and started reporting. Find me another player in the league that can play with a torn ligament in the shooting hand, let alone play as great as anyone. Get off it brotha. Being a hater is not something to be proud of. If youre a true Laker fan, stop bashing Kobe for working his *** off and start a little criticism of Pau for not playing upto his capabilities.

shep33
01-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Check yesterdays game thread, lots of good things on walton.

three days ago, lots of good things on Barnes.

and so on and on.

Yeah but consistently, you talk about guys when they're having good games. I honestly don't even know if you like any other of our players.

Chacarron
it can be two things.

I'm far from a Kobe lover but come on man.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
You mean "kobe" Fans?

Any Laker fan that cares for the team would see on how many levels what Kobe is doing is wrong for the TEAM md and long term.

Would you say the same words when we will win a ring at the end of this season?

Hellcrooner
01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Would you say the same words when we will win a ring at the end of this season?

we will ONLY win a ring if kobe stops playing the hero role.

period.

check 04 and 08 for more reference.

sp1derm00
01-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Look at what Crooner has done to this thread.

It's now more of a PSD vs Crooner thread than it is about Kobe's midrange.

GrapeSoda
01-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Yep.

I think they did before last year's playoff run when apparently he turned in to a soft little *****, to be honest I am not a big fan of Pau or Kobe - respect their games to the fullest but they are some tough *** players .. I feel as if they are both underrated as of now (maybe not so much Kobe anymore after his 48 point game though)

beliges
01-11-2012, 03:21 PM

period.

No, Lakers will have a great shot to win the ring ONLY if Pau plays up to his capabilities. Kobe's playing great right now, Bynum has been very good thus far but very inconsistent. Pau has been consistently mediocre so far this season. You bash the dude whose working his *** off and playing great for this team while your boy is underperforming every single game and yet you have nothing bad to say about him. Tell your boy to man up. And the reason Lakers lost in 08 as because Pau was a vag.

Hellcrooner
01-11-2012, 03:22 PM
No, Lakers will have a great shot to win the ring ONLY if Pau plays up to his capabilities. Kobe's playing great right now, Bynum has been very good thus far but very inconsistent. Pau has been consistently mediocre so far this season. You bash the dude whose working his *** off and playing great for this team while your boy is underperforming every single game and yet you have nothing bad to say about him. Tell your boy to man up. And the reason Lakers lost in 08 as because Pau was a vag.

check the number of shots a game diferrential between kobe and Pau in 08, 09, 10.

while you are at it check the differential between shaq and koeb in 00 01 02 and 04

There you go.

And btw you swaying pau ha sudnerperformed in every game this year shows how much of a hater you are.

haggis
01-11-2012, 03:26 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxklecVIHQ1qcmnsoo1_500.png

Swollen.

LakersKB24
01-11-2012, 03:27 PM

period.

The thing is we only have 3 legit scoring options: Kobe, Pau, Bynum.

Bynum needs to figure out how to deal with double teams and Pau needs to STEP UP and demand the ball during the game, and not complain in post game interviews that he doesn't get the ball, he did that a lot last year.

Don't get me wrong, Pau is one of my favorite players and I would love to see our bigs dominate, but they have to MAN UP.

Who do you want taking those shots if not Kobe? Fisher? MWP?

Kobe HAS to play like this at least in some games and without a real scoring option off the bench we NEED his scoring more than ever (at least since 08)

beliges
01-11-2012, 03:32 PM
check the number of shots a game diferrential between kobe and Pau in 08, 09, 10.

while you are at it check the differential between shaq and koeb in 00 01 02 and 04

There you go.

And btw you swaying pau ha sudnerperformed in every game this year shows how much of a hater you are.

Once again, if Pau was willing or even able to carry some of the scoring responsibilities, Kobe wouldnt shoot as much. Hes got nobody helping him on offense right now. Pau is capable of 22-24ppg every single night. Hes that good but so far hes been nowhere near that good. And saying Pau has underperformed thus far is not being a hater. Its just what it is. After costing his team in the playoffs last year youd think he would come in this season with something to prove, but hes just going through the motions and not having any major impact on games. That is unacceptable. So as a result, Kobe has to shoot to keep the Lakers in games. You see the Laker game against Suns last night. PHO was right there with LA up until the 3rd quarter and Kobe had to go off again to give his team a cushion. Pau needs to step up. The fact that Bynum has surpassed him as the #2 option will tell you exactly what you need to know of Pau's performance so far this season.

Hellcrooner
01-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Once again, if Pau was willing or even able to carry some of the scoring responsibilities, Kobe wouldnt shoot as much. Hes got nobody helping him on offense right now. Pau is capable of 22-24ppg every single night. Hes that good but so far hes been nowhere near that good. And saying Pau has underperformed thus far is not being a hater. Its just what it is. After costing his team in the playoffs last year youd think he would come in this season with something to prove, but hes just going through the motions and not having any major impact on games. That is unacceptable. So as a result, Kobe has to shoot to keep the Lakers in games. You see the Laker game against Suns last night. PHO was right there with LA up until the 3rd quarter and Kobe had to go off again to give his team a cushion. Pau needs to step up. The fact that Bynum has surpassed him as the #2 option will tell you exactly what you need to know of Pau's performance so far this season.

1 i guess you have missed drews "2 option" income to the team tha last 3 games when confronted with real centers instead than midgets.

2 i guess you have missed the last two games in teh 4th quarters when the thign was close, pau making his jumpers and free trhows and allowing the team to keep in the game.

3 pau WILl NEVER score 23 or 24 points in ANY team, because THAT IS NOT HIS GAME, and thats the good thing of it, him not being greedy and looking for the extre pass brings WINS to the team he is in, thats what dudes like Duncan or Magic did too, coudl they have been 30ppg scores? yes, woudl their teams ahve been less succesfull? Yes.

If pau acted like that, me firt, spain woudl ahve 0 medals the last decade, is he hands and shoulders better than any other player in team sapin? Yes, but he always tries to look if Navarro, or Rudy or whatever has a better position and makes the pass.

sp1derm00
01-11-2012, 03:39 PM

period.

Why did Kobe stop playing the hero role?Oh, because he had Pau and Odom helping him.

Why has Kobe been playing the hero role this season? OH, because he's the only Laker player that's capable of creating his own shot from the perimeter right now. No more Odom, and hard doubles are forcing Bynum and Pau to turn the ball over.

Why don't the Lakers go inside to Bynum and Pau more? Actually, if you've been watching, they have been going into Bynum and Gasol quite often.

Bynum's FGA and Usage are up. Pau's FGA are down slightly, but so is his Usage rating. Essentially, Pau is getting the same touches, but using less of them.

Who has Kobe been taking his shots from?

Let's look at player's FGA from this season and last...

Blake + 4.4 FGA
Fisher - 1.5 FGA

Shannon Brown -7.8 FGA
Goudelock +1.9 FGA

Artest -1.3 FGA
Matt Barnes +.1 FGA

Odom - 10.9 FGA
McRoberts +4.3 FGA
Murphy +3.4 FGA

Essentially, Kobe has been taking his FGA and minutes from Shannon Brown (no backup for Kobe really) and Lamar Odom.

this season? Kobe.

Listen to all the post game interviews. Everyone has been saying that Kobe's shots have, for the most part, come within the offense.

If you watch the game, a LOT of Kobe's shots come from his off-ball movement. In fact, if you delve into the stats on http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kobe%20Bryant, Kobe's AS%, or the percentage of his shots that are assists for other players are up ACROSS the board.

Crooner, have you been watching Kobe's movement off the ball? Have you been paying attention to anything OTHER than basic stats?

In the end, Kobe lost his only serviceable backup in Brown, has been playing increased minutes, lost the only other player that could create his own shot from the perimeter (Odom). He's taking 3.7 more shots per game this season. Brown took 7.8, and his replacement takes 1.9. Seems fine.

Hellcrooner
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Why did Kobe stop playing the hero role?Oh, because he had Pau and Odom helping him.

Why has Kobe been playing the hero role this season? OH, because he's the only Laker player that's capable of creating his own shot from the perimeter right now. No more Odom, and hard doubles are forcing Bynum and Pau to turn the ball over.

Why don't the Lakers go inside to Bynum and Pau more? Actually, if you've been watching, they have been going into Bynum and Gasol quite often.

Bynum's FGA and Usage are up. Pau's FGA are down slightly, but so is his Usage rating. Essentially, Pau is getting the same touches, but using less of them.

Who has Kobe been taking his shots from?

Let's look at player's FGA from this season and last...

Blake + 4.4 FGA
Fisher - 1.5 FGA

Shannon Brown -7.8 FGA
Goudelock +1.9 FGA

Artest -1.3 FGA
Matt Barnes +.1 FGA

Odom - 10.9 FGA
McRoberts +4.3 FGA
Murphy +3.4 FGA

Essentially, Kobe has been taking his FGA and minutes from Shannon Brown (no backup for Kobe really) and Lamar Odom.

this season? Kobe.

Listen to all the post game interviews. Everyone has been saying that Kobe's shots have, for the most part, come within the offense.

If you watch the game, a LOT of Kobe's shots come from his off-ball movement. In fact, if you delve into the stats on http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kobe%20Bryant, Kobe's AS%, or the percentage of his shots that are assists for other players are up ACROSS the board.

Crooner, have you been watching Kobe's movement off the ball? Have you been paying attention to anything OTHER than basic stats?

In the end, Kobe lost his only serviceable backup in Brown, has been playing increased minutes, lost the only other player that could create his own shot from the perimeter (Odom). He's taking 3.7 more shots per game this season. Brown took 7.8, and his replacement takes 1.9. Seems fine.

i have been watghine many plays in wich kobe has the ball, bynum or pau have won their position inside, he has a clear passing lane and he decides to shoot.

check yesterdays last quarter there are no less than 6 of those situations, but he wanted to go for 50 points.

beliges
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
1 i guess you have missed drews "2 option" income to the team tha last 3 games when confronted with real centers instead than midgets.

2 i guess you have missed the last two games in teh 4th quarters when the thign was close, pau making his jumpers and free trhows and allowing the team to keep in the game.

3 pau WILl NEVER score 23 or 24 points in ANY team, because THAT IS NOT HIS GAME, and thats the good thing of it, him not being greedy and looking for the extre pass brings WINS to the team he is in, thats what dudes like Duncan or Magic did too, coudl they have been 30ppg scores? yes, woudl their teams ahve been less succesfull? Yes.

If pau acted like that, me firt, spain woudl ahve 0 medals the last decade, is he hands and shoulders better than any other player in team sapin? Yes, but he always tries to look if Navarro, or Rudy or whatever has a better position and makes the pass.

Pau's capable of scoring 22ppg. Hes done if before for the Lakers. And when he was doing so, Kobe was deferring to him quite a bit. Look, Pau's a very good player but he hasnt been himself since last year's playoffs. And its not be just saying Bynum has become our #2 option, but rather its exactly what has occured. But the bottom line is Kobe is taking so many shots because the offense is nonexistent without him doing so. Pau needs to be more decisive with the ball when he gets it. He needs to get a bit more selfish. The Lakers need Pau to play like he did in 09 after getting *****-slapped by the Celtics.

RiLoc
01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Do you think this change could have possibly improved his midrange game?To jump 15% because of a shot adjustment seems unlikely, but I guess we can't know for certain. Over the season, it seems logical for that to level out, at least a some.

What I do feel comfortable saying is; increasing your attempts in the 15-23 foot range is rarely a good idea. It's the least efficient shot in the game. It's possible he could be taking more because he's been feeling hot from there, but using that logic it would seem like he would take less threes, because he's been ice cold from out there. You have to think the decrease in percentage from behind the arc is attributable to his wrist. If he didn't take all those threes, his numbers would look fantastic.

sp1derm00
01-11-2012, 03:56 PM

1. Nene is a better defensive Center than Gortat/Frye are. Marc Gasol seems to have improved his defense tremendously, but also, Bynum defended him just as well, if not better. Marc Gasol is probably the best C Bynum has faced this season and he won that match up by a large margin.

2. Pau also missed 2 FT's which essentially lost us the game against Chicago in the home opener. This is basically like saying Kobe's heroics might have won us the past 5 games since Denver, but that one horrible 6-28 game cost us a win.

3. The reason why Pau/Duncan don't score 25+ ppg is because it's much easier for teams to get away with double teaming them. Teams recover from doubling a post player much easier than recovering from doubling a perimeter player. Conversely, it's also much easier to score in the post than from the perimeter. If Pau could get position, take the entry pass, and go to work and score at a high rate every single time, i see no reason why he would be hurting the team by doing so.

thenaj17
01-11-2012, 04:24 PM
i have been watghine many plays in wich kobe has the ball, bynum or pau have won their position inside, he has a clear passing lane and he decides to shoot.

check yesterdays last quarter there are no less than 6 of those situations, but he wanted to go for 50 points.

There were a load of those situations, you are correct. This is where you stop being right though.

If you watched the whole game, you will have noticed Kobe feed both these players 10 or more times in the same positions through 3 quarters and most times, lead to missed shots, steals, blocks from the Suns. Over and over again Kobe watched Bynum get double teamed, waste a load of the shot clock and give it back to Kobe to rescue them with 1/2 seconds left on the clock. Time and time again, Kobe fed Pau in the post and Pau tries to do something against Gortat and fail miserably and then settle for turn around fadeaways or hook shots that barely touch the rim. (Yes i am aware Kobe had 2 airballs).

Of course Kobe sometimes takes stupid shots, but he also rescues the team last couple seconds of the clock after he stood and watched them fail to score.

Every time Kobe relented from taking control of the game, Phoenix got back into the game and closed the gap. Same happened against Warriors and a few times this year. He's so fed up of the team giving up leads, he is now doing it all himself.

thenaj17
01-11-2012, 04:27 PM
pau's capable of scoring 22ppg. Hes done if before for the lakers. And when he was doing so, kobe was deferring to him quite a bit. Look, pau's a very good player but he hasnt been himself since last year's playoffs. And its not be just saying bynum has become our #2 option, but rather its exactly what has occured. But the bottom line is kobe is taking so many shots because the offense is nonexistent without him doing so. Pau needs to be more decisive with the ball when he gets it. He needs to get a bit more selfish. The lakers need pau to play like he did in 09 after getting *****-slapped by the celtics.

this!!

Bruno
01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
it can be two things.

are you kidding me crooner?
:facepalm:

Bruno
01-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Look at what Crooner has done to this thread.

It's now more of a PSD vs Crooner thread than it is about Kobe's midrange.

they refer to that as "derailing the thread".

anyways, I think the topic is really interesting too. I can't tell if he's just off to a hot start, or if this new offense is giving him spots that allow him to find his rhythm sooner. he's been very efficient from inside the arc which has been great for the team.

at this point, the dude just needs to stop shooting threes and he's golden.

KBfrom8to24
01-11-2012, 09:16 PM
it can be two things.

Out of 11 games the Lakers played this season, when did Kobe shot 40 FGA?
If Kobe will shoot 60 times in any single game, he will surely break Wilt's record and not 40 points only according to you #1 Kobe hater.

It's hurting the team? Lakers is winning while Kobe is on a scoring spree...

Hellcrooner
01-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Out of 11 games the Lakers played this season, when did Kobe shot 40 FGA?
If Kobe will shoot 60 times in any single game, he will surely break Wilt's record and not 40 points only according to you #1 Kobe hater.

It's hurting the team? Lakers is winning while Kobe is on a scoring spree...

Dont you they teach you in school that not everything written means exactly what is written?

Jenceman
01-12-2012, 01:12 AM
I wish Kobe would go the Michael route and stop shooting threes. He'd probably average 30ppg on 50%+ if he did that.

desertlakeshow
01-12-2012, 01:45 AM
What is helping Kobe's game is his off season German Knee procedure.

Crooner, Love your constant posting in the negative of Kobe. It really shines a light as to what the Lakers need. Some fans that do not suck. You are an old School fan and should know better.

You run with the horses that you have. Kobe is not Magic Johnson (my favorite player by the way). Please stop calling him a chucker, he is a winner flat out. He is as good a basketball player that the NBA has produced since Michael Jordan.

He is a shooter, that is what the Lakers pay him to do He is not a point guard, or point forward, or whatever you wish him to be.

When he gets the ball, his job is to shoot it and score.

Which he does very well.

And I love Pau Gasol by the way. I do believe he is injured either physically, or mentally and is going to have a great season.

Cool it on Kobe, they do not win without him shooting. Please stop acting like they win seven titles in a row if he passes first and shoots second.

Not his role.

Hate the price of beer or something.

TmacBryant
01-12-2012, 03:00 AM
it can be two things.

kobe hater going big again.

Kobe faking an injury? Yeah because its so easy playing at 36 years old with a 90 year old wrist with arthritis and a knee that needed some nazi-experimentation from germany to fix.

Appstate2012
01-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Dont you they teach you in school that not everything written means exactly what is written?

Clearly, or else we would think Pau plays for Team "Sapin" as you called it, and quit reading your nonsense responses after the first six words. Your a hater we get it, you have yet to bring a stat to the table, but mumble utter less nonsense, and tell us to go look at certain years. If you want to prove you point, bring the numbers, until then shut up with the hating. Im not even a Lakers fan and know that Pau is soft and always has been. If Bynum figures it out, Pau becomes the third option on the Lakers.

wallerstud05
01-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Hey look it Hellcrooner being a hater once again. You call yourself a Lakers fan?? For one this thread was about Kobe's midrange game with his injury. Not him taking 40 shots for us to win games. Hellcrooner you should think about banning yourself or go get some actual basketball knowledge. Tired of you trashing our team and one of the best players to step on a basketball court.

Chronz
01-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Should the concept of an athlete exaggerating injuries be so far fetched, based pretty much solely on his brand name/rep?

Chronz
01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Clearly, or else we would think Pau plays for Team "Sapin" as you called it, and quit reading your nonsense responses after the first six words. Your a hater we get it, you have yet to bring a stat to the table, but mumble utter less nonsense, and tell us to go look at certain years. If you want to prove you point, bring the numbers, until then shut up with the hating. Im not even a Lakers fan and know that Pau is soft and always has been. If Bynum figures it out, Pau becomes the third option on the Lakers.
If Bynum figures "it" out, he should become the first option.

More importantly, you can be the teams 3rd option, and be its best player.

wallerstud05
01-12-2012, 12:40 PM
haha what player do you know that is the 3rd option and still the teams best player?

KingPosey
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Funny. I wonder why.