PDA

View Full Version : The Return of 2006/2007 Kobe Bryant?

JNA17
01-11-2012, 02:40 AM
At age 33, in his 16th season, Kobe can still score 40+ or 50+ games (48 points tonight) like it's nobody's business.

Ok I just had to get the homer Laker fan in me out of that first :D. Now back to the NBA fan me...

So with the current decline of the Lakers roster compared to the last few years (Odom gone, Pau regressing, roster losing more depth), Kobe now seems to be have taken over the team much more then he has been since 2006/2007.

Will Kobe have that type of year again? And if he does while the Lakers get the top 3 seed (again, IF), will he be a definite MVP candidate unlike those years (due to the Lakers in those years being 7th seeds)? Or is this just temporary? What do you guys think?

John Walls Era
01-11-2012, 02:44 AM
If the Lakers want to win, then he better not take that many shots.

ClippersE.G
01-11-2012, 02:47 AM
He does this because his team sucks. Reminds me of that one year where had had smush parker, chris mihm and luke walton getting heavy minutes. Same thing. This year reminds of the year he asked for a trade. But like ive said...the Lakers keep playing at home so no one will notice this until they get swept in the first round of the playoffs.

Kobe has one off night and its over. Lucky for THe Lakers he is playing really fake right now

Lakers4ItAll
01-11-2012, 02:47 AM
As a Lakers fan I hope they get Bynum and Gasol more involved down low, rather than Kobe leading the them in scoring every night. But If Kobe averages 27+5+5 for the season and they are a top 2 seed in the West then he should deff get some MVP votes!

Bruno
01-11-2012, 02:48 AM
no, he just went off because it was against the suns, he always torches them because their coach refuses to double him. bynum and gasol will need more touches if LAL wants to get back to the finals; bryant just attacked because they threw single coverage at him all game and he got hot.

his numbers through 11 games are great though, on par with his 09 championship figures.

Chacarron
01-11-2012, 02:49 AM
He does this because his team sucks. Reminds me of that one year where had had smush parker, chris mihm and luke walton getting heavy minutes. Same thing. This year reminds of the year he asked for a trade. But like ive said...the Lakers keep playing at home so no one will notice this until they get swept in the first round of the playoffs.

Kobe has one off night and its over. Lucky for THe Lakers he is playing really fake right now

Awesome analysis.

Avenged
01-11-2012, 02:56 AM

"Bingo!"

shep33
01-11-2012, 02:56 AM
We don't really need to get the ball to the bigs more, they're getting touches but they're just not utilizing them. Bynum is getting double and triple teamed and is still having his problems there, Pau is still too passive IMO.

shep33
01-11-2012, 02:57 AM
"Bingo!"

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool:clap ::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Chacarron
01-11-2012, 02:58 AM
"Bingo!"

:laugh: :burn:

shep33
01-11-2012, 02:59 AM
I don't like these threads guys... I'm a Laker fan, but I mean if Kobe has a bad game, then people will come in and bash him. Post in the Laker forum next time.

JNA17
01-11-2012, 03:03 AM
bynum and gasol will need more touches

I disagree a lot here.

Bynum and Gasol have been getting quite the amount of touches. I think people just look at the boxscore and look at their shot attempts and go like "WOW THEY SHOW ONLY 15 SHOTS?! GIVE THEM THE DAMN BALL DAMN IT!".

Gasol is getting all the touches he needs, unfortunately, he doesn't shoot when given the chance. He passes it up and doesn't use his finesse post moves. Bynum on the other hand is having trouble trying to give out the ball on a double or triple team, and when that happens, sometimes it will be a forced shot from Bynum, or a TO.

The problem with those guys right now is their just not utilizing their talents. IMO, Kobe is playing the way he needs to play right now for this team to even compete. Otherwise, we would have gotten killed by the Suns or any teams we have faced previously.

JNA17
01-11-2012, 03:05 AM
I don't like these threads guys... I'm a Laker fan, but I mean if Kobe has a bad game, then people will come in and bash him. Post in the Laker forum next time.

and then if Kobe has a good game, it will be vice versa. It happens. Hell tonight, Lebron blew another 4th quarter yet again with the Heat losing tonight. Only their 2nd lost but that 4th quarter habit is still there despite Lebron still playing at a great level. People will bash Lebron like hell tonight, and Lebron will be praised when he has a good game next game.

The point of this thread is to ask if any of you think Kobe does return to that 2006/2007 form and what happens if he does while the Lakers still end up at the top 1-3 seeds. A simple question.

calien
01-11-2012, 03:11 AM
kobe averaged over 35 a game that year, that's not gonna happen this year.

Not unless he's gonna have several 60 pt games. which isn't happening

THE GIPPER
01-11-2012, 03:13 AM
They played the suns. The suns dont play defence.

shep33
01-11-2012, 03:17 AM

Aren't they like the 7th best defensive team this year? Grant Hill is pretty damn good defensively

John Walls Era
01-11-2012, 03:18 AM

EvansCousinsDuo Wannabe.

LA_Raiders
01-11-2012, 03:19 AM
Kobe is playing great ball. The rest of the team need to step up... Metta and Fisher are playing very poor. Bynum is very inconsistent. We need to trade for Howard if we want to be an elite team...

Chronz
01-11-2012, 03:24 AM
Bynum has been absolutely horrid after a hot start, I dont blame Kobe for shooting so much.

jmoney85
01-11-2012, 03:25 AM
lol he took 38 shots... i hope he can score points shooting that much

shep33
01-11-2012, 03:26 AM
The problem the Lakers have right now, is that they have no shooters. If you've been watching their games Bynum is getting doubled and tripled now. No spacing though, because there are no threats out there.

Fisher has 5 points in the last 3 games

shep33
01-11-2012, 03:28 AM

He took 31 shots tonight, made 18

JNA17
01-11-2012, 03:28 AM

He took 31, seriously stop trolling.

XpLiCiTT
01-11-2012, 03:29 AM
Kobes motivated this year..playing unbelievably so far. Hopefully for his sake injuries dont stop him..hes going for that MVP trophy it looks like

Jenceman
01-11-2012, 03:32 AM
The problem the Lakers have right now, is that they have no shooters. If you've been watching their games Bynum is getting doubled and tripled now. No spacing though, because there are no threats out there.

Fisher has 5 points in the last 3 games

And all 5 of those points were today. Scoreless for two straight games.

The Lakers have to give minutes to Goudelock or Morris at the point. That's just unacceptable.

whitemamba33
01-11-2012, 03:34 AM
The difference comes down to Kobe WANTING the ball, and Gasol/Bynum just thinking it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the ball came their way.

When you watch Kobe, you can tell when he wants the ball. He locks down his defender, yells, screams, waves his hands in the air. Anytime I see the bigs do the same, they get the ball. They just don't demand the ball often enough.

Closed mouth's don't get fed.

JNA17
01-11-2012, 03:35 AM

Suns are top 10 in defense this year. That and if that were even true, why hasn't other players scored 40+ on the suns all the time? Either way...

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/13/128683890709111552.jpg

whitemamba33
01-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Kobes motivated this year..playing unbelievably so far. Hopefully for his sake injuries dont stop him..hes going for that MVP trophy it looks like

Lakers won't have a good enough reg season record for Kobe to get MVP.

Bruno
01-11-2012, 03:36 AM
I disagree a lot here.

Bynum and Gasol have been getting quite the amount of touches. I think people just look at the boxscore and look at their shot attempts and go like "WOW THEY SHOW ONLY 15 SHOTS?! GIVE THEM THE DAMN BALL DAMN IT!".

Gasol is getting all the touches he needs, unfortunately, he doesn't shoot when given the chance. He passes it up and doesn't use his finesse post moves. Bynum on the other hand is having trouble trying to give out the ball on a double or triple team, and when that happens, sometimes it will be a forced shot from Bynum, or a TO.

The problem with those guys right now is their just not utilizing their talents. IMO, Kobe is playing the way he needs to play right now for this team to even compete. Otherwise, we would have gotten killed by the Suns or any teams we have faced previously.

You know I watch the games.

tonight was great, but Bynum and Gasol need to combine for more than 21 FGA when the real season begins.

Bynum and Pau have both had great games this season. I agree that they both give up a lot of potential FGAs, but that doesn't mean the wings shouldn't keep going to them. higher pecentage looks are high percentage looks. I also have no gripe with Bryant shooting a lot of FGAs, so long as theyre inside the arch, against single coverage. he needs to defer to the bigs when he's doubled (see the game at denver).

LA_Raiders
01-11-2012, 03:37 AM
The Return of the Black Mamba... He is going for the Kill...

JNA17
01-11-2012, 03:41 AM
Lakers won't have a good enough reg season record for Kobe to get MVP.

Damn you must know those lottery numbers as well for next week. Care to share that as well? :p

JNA17
01-11-2012, 03:43 AM
The Return of the Black Mamba... He is going for the Kill...

Imagine if he went for 81 again too, wouldnt that be a crazy Deja vu lol. :laugh2:

numba1CHANGsta
01-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Kobe should relax with the shots, I dont want him being out of gas come playoff time

VRP723
01-11-2012, 04:14 AM
When he said in the postgame interview "Not bad for the 7th best player in the league" I laughed out loud. That was awesome.

Hellcrooner
01-11-2012, 04:14 AM
i wonder if "laker" :rolleyes: Fans remember how "well" did the 06-07 roll out for the TEAM

VRP723
01-11-2012, 04:17 AM
They "might"

JNA17
01-11-2012, 04:20 AM
i wonder if "laker" :rolleyes: Fans remember how "well" did the 06-07 roll out for the TEAM

You really have to read the OP man. I already mentioned that. And I don't think any of your favorite Spanish players could even take a team like the lakers had in those years and win even 10 games lol.

J4KOP99
01-11-2012, 04:54 AM
The only major worry I have is the extra milage... will he be able to physically hold up come playoff time? Hew clearly still has all the skills and most of the ability.

Kobe understands the importance of a post game in the playoffs too (even though non-lakers fans love to get on him for being a ballhog) and will play completely different if he is still healthy by the time the postseason rolls around. If Bynum and Gasol are still in LA come may/june, then they will play an important role for this team. If Bynum and Gasol cannot step up, then the Lakers will lose, like last year. As much as Kob would love to be a 1-man wrecking crew, he knows he needs his big guys.

I know this is a shorter season... but it's not THAT short. Kobe needs to slow down a little as the season goes on and may even need to sit out a few games. It will be interesting to see how Mike Brown handles the situation.

celmxc
01-11-2012, 05:01 AM
i think he can average even more points if he uses the pick and roll or other plays ( i think most of his shots come from iso plays ), and he'll be in the MVP discussion but if he wants to win the MVP I think Lakers need to have 1st seed...

beliges
01-11-2012, 05:05 AM
Kobe's playing great right now. Looks much better so far this season than he did all of last year. He is picking up the scoring load right as Bynum is struggling after finally facing constant double teams and Pau just is not playing like he should be playing. Lakers as a team need to start playing much more cohesively on the offensive end and Pau really needs to step up as this season the Lakers do not have the type of roster to rely on other players to pick up their games. Outside of Kobe, Pau and Bynum, this team has nobody that can produce consistently. But if Kobe manages this level of play all the way throughout the playoffs this year, I can guarantee Lakers will not be getting swept by anybody.

Bruno
01-11-2012, 05:06 AM
The only major worry I have is the extra milage... will he be able to physically hold up come playoff time? Hew clearly still has all the skills and most of the ability.

Kobe understands the importance of a post game in the playoffs too (even though non-lakers fans love to get on him for being a ballhog) and will play completely different if he is still healthy by the time the postseason rolls around. If Bynum and Gasol are still in LA come may/june, then they will play an important role for this team. If Bynum and Gasol cannot step up, then the Lakers will lose, like last year. As much as Kob would love to be a 1-man wrecking crew, he knows he needs his big guys.

I know this is a shorter season... but it's not THAT short. Kobe needs to slow down a little as the season goes on and may even need to sit out a few games. It will be interesting to see how Mike Brown handles the situation.

i agree.

with the extra milage, it makes me curious. from what we've seen through 11 games, the experimental surgery in Germany has been a massive success. massive. only question is, will it hold up and allow him to perform at this level in april? how long can he keep it going for? remains to be seen.

Mike has kobe playing over 36.0 mpg this year. thats about 2-3 minutes more per game than Phil played him last season. even if kobe can handel it now, im skeptical. Id like to see mike play kobe less than 3 quarters per game. id like to see kobe at the 33 mpg mark. until the real season starts, then bump it up to 36-39.

naps
01-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Absolute MVP. You take 30 shots a game and you are a surefire MVP. Best player on the planet. Second best all time. One more title that he needs to be the epitome.

basketfan4life
01-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Absolute MVP. You take 30 shots a game and you are a surefire MVP. Best player on the planet. Second best all time. One more title that he needs to be the epitome.

i feel for you man, i know your day is crazy bad after your boy went 1-3 all 4th qt and overtime while Kobe put on a show in staples...But it's not a big deal, just one game, don't make a big deal out of it.

Bruno
01-11-2012, 07:29 AM
check out the updated information on my lonely blog. it includes statistical analysis of Bryants 2012 campaign. I actively update it for anyone who's interested. :cheers:

he is on par with his 2007 and 2008 figures. if the Lakers land a top three spot in the western conference his name will merit discussion in the MVP debate.

blastmasta26
01-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Kobe's still a monster, no doubt but I'm not so sure the Lakers will have a good enough record for him to be in legitimate MVP talks.

Bruno
01-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Kobe's still a monster, no doubt but I'm not so sure the Lakers will have a good enough record for him to be in legitimate MVP talks.

7-2 in their last 9 games.

naps
01-11-2012, 11:50 AM
If anyone else wins MVP over Kobe that would be a joke. No basketball player can play at his level even at this point. He's by far best player in the league.

mdm692
01-11-2012, 12:08 PM

#7 in the league buddy.

But half of his shots he was wearing grant hill as a facemask he just went off and like mentioned gentry refuses to double team him.

showtym24
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
If anyone else wins MVP over Kobe that would be a joke. No basketball player can play at his level even at this point. He's by far best player in the league.

Steve Nash, Channing Frye, and I all agree.

Da Knicks
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
At this pace i dont see an mvp season but rather a short injured season. Kobe will get hurt if the bigs dont start shooting the ball more and let Kobe rest.

omdigga
01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
i love when kobe plays with a chip on his shoulder.. fun to watch..

blystr2002
01-11-2012, 12:53 PM
1st 4 games without Bynum and a brand new offense that they are saying Bynum and others are still adjusting to is a big factor in his shooting increase. It will even out by the end of the season.

As for last night, They had Nash guarding him for a bit and he did the smart thing and posted up right away. Then an overmatched G. Hill. I mean come on. Of course he went for 48 pts.

ShakeN'Bake
01-11-2012, 12:55 PM
At age 33, in his 16th season, Kobe can still score 40+ or 50+ games (48 points tonight) like it's nobody's business.

Ok I just had to get the homer Laker fan in me out of that first :D. Now back to the NBA fan me...

So with the current decline of the Lakers roster compared to the last few years (Odom gone, Pau regressing, roster losing more depth), Kobe now seems to be have taken over the team much more then he has been since 2006/2007.

Will Kobe have that type of year again? And if he does while the Lakers get the top 3 seed (again, IF), will he be a definite MVP candidate unlike those years (due to the Lakers in those years being 7th seeds)? Or is this just temporary? What do you guys think?

Seems temporary to me. But I have no doubt he can go out there and do that a few more times this season.

ewmania
01-11-2012, 12:58 PM
If the Lakers want to win, then he better not take that many shots.

idk with this system he can score and win... jordan use to take this much high amount of shots and win rings

I think kobe can pull it off swell

PrettyBoyJ
01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I'll say this, this Laker team is still competitive and still have some match up advantages. Unlike 06/07 Kobe carried the load, he has better help now then he did before..

JordansBulls
01-11-2012, 01:25 PM
no, he just went off because it was against the suns, he always torches them because their coach refuses to double him. bynum and gasol will need more touches if LAL wants to get back to the finals; bryant just attacked because they threw single coverage at him all game and he got hot.

his numbers through 11 games are great though, on par with his 09 championship figures.

this, although I am impressed that he is better than last year.

mdm692
01-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Gasol needs to step up or they should trade him for amore capable pf if they want to win it all.

nickdymez
01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
1st 4 games without Bynum and a brand new offense that they are saying Bynum and others are still adjusting to is a big factor in his shooting increase. It will even out by the end of the season.

As for last night, They had Nash guarding him for a bit and he did the smart thing and posted up right away. Then an overmatched G. Hill. I mean come on. Of course he went for 48 pts.

See.. Everything Kobe does is brushed off.. That's why he doesn't win accolades are get much respect. Oh well. And when someone shows him respect they are a Dickrider or kober lover...

beliges
01-11-2012, 03:26 PM
See.. Everything Kobe does is brushed off.. That's why he doesn't win accolades are get much respect. Oh well. And when someone shows him respect they are a Dickrider or kober lover...

I think hes got a great shot at the MVP this year. If he can pull off a #1 seed in the West, the MVP is his. Otherwise his only other real competition would be Durant and Rose. OKC will probably take that #1 seed so I see Durant winning it. I dont see how LBJ or Wade could win given that they play with each other.

nickdymez
01-11-2012, 03:52 PM
I think hes got a great shot at the MVP this year. If he can pull off a #1 seed in the West, the MVP is his. Otherwise his only other real competition would be Durant and Rose. OKC will probably take that #1 seed so I see Durant winning it. I dont see how LBJ or Wade could win given that they play with each other.

Don't tell heat or Lebron fans that. If Chris Paul came to the Lakers and played with Kobe, neither Kobe or Paul should be MVP candidates. If Howard does in fact end up going to the Lakers, I don't feel Kobe should get it.

beliges
01-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Don't tell heat or Lebron fans that. If Chris Paul came to the Lakers and played with Kobe, neither Kobe or Paul should be MVP candidates. If Howard does in fact end up going to the Lakers, I don't feel Kobe should get it.

If Dwight comes to LA, Kobe has no shot at the MVP. But with this roster, if LA gets the #1 seed in the West, hes a lock for the MVP.

MTar786
01-11-2012, 05:40 PM
kobe is going to lead the nab in scoring this year and win mvp. i don't really care about all that though. i just want the lakers to win

Bruno
01-11-2012, 06:26 PM
The Lakers are 1/6th done with their 2012 campaign. Thus far Bryant is:
2nd in the NBA in PER @ 26.5
7th in total Win-shares @ 1.8

nickdymez
01-11-2012, 06:47 PM
The Lakers are 1/6th done with their 2012 campaign. Thus far Bryant is:
2nd in the NBA in PER @ 26.5
7th in total Win-shares @ 1.8

Are these good numbers?

RLundi
01-11-2012, 06:58 PM

I agree, if Kobe can pull off the number one seed, the MVP is his. I doubt the Lakers surpass the Thunder though. I don't see how Kobe can sustain this level of play for an entire season, but if he does, I think the voters will have no choice but to surrender MVP to him.

But if he slips even a little or he and the Lakers come down to earth, the MVP will be LeBron and at this point, I see all of that happening. LeBron is having a MONSTER season, and he's overshadowed Kobe in virtually every single aspect and statistic. He's just been unbelievable thus far, the best player hands completely down.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say LeBron wins MVP.

Bruno
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Are these good numbers?

yes. he's second in player efficiency rating behind James, and he's 7th in total win-shares.

look at it like this, those numbers reflect the counting stats/record of:
7-4 on,
46%

billy17
01-11-2012, 07:15 PM
ma

billy17
01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Why do the lakers refuse to realize that they need a point guard who can defend and hit the trey

billy17
01-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Can Aaron brooks please get out of his chinese finger trap of a contract
Perfect Fit

Shortys4711
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Aren't they like the 7th best defensive team this year? Grant Hill is pretty damn good defensively

This. Gipper maybe you should get ur facts straight before just throwing out crap you heard from 3 seasons ago from commentators on espn. This team might not be as good our previous teams passed but defense is one thing they have improved on massively

billy17
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
and quit nit picking kobes game its flawless and he is a top 5 player who had better footwork, michael jackson maybe

billy17
01-11-2012, 07:24 PM
true that i never seen the lakers hedge so many screens in all my life its beautiful

RLundi
01-11-2012, 07:36 PM
This. Gipper maybe you should get ur facts straight before just throwing out crap you heard from 3 seasons ago from commentators on espn. This team might not be as good our previous teams passed but defense is one thing they have improved on massively

Phoenix is still an average defensive team. Doesn't matter that they're allowing far fewer points per game; that's because their pace is among the league's slowest. NBA's average defensive efficiency is 100; the Suns are sitting at 98.9.

Shortys4711
01-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Phoenix is still an average defensive team. Doesn't matter that they're allowing far fewer points per game; that's because their pace is among the league's slowest. NBA's average defensive efficiency is 100; the Suns are sitting at 98.9.

I understand what your saying but my point is they may not be the best D team out there but they are far better then they used to be and shouldnt still be copping the "its the suns there D is crap" and not only that I would not say Grant Hill is just average on D, hes actually right up there.