PDA

View Full Version : 1995 and 1996 MJ/Grant Hill all star question

ShaunGBD
01-10-2012, 06:54 PM
I was reading that Grant Hill beat out Michael Jordan in votes in 1995 and again my 1996. I have a few questions about all that.

My big question is Why didn't Michael make it in 1996 but not 1995?

In his second season (199596), he once again led the All-Star fan balloting, this time edging Michael Jordan (Jordan's first All-Star game after returning since retiring in 1993) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Hill

http://blogs.amctv.com/movie/174427/NBA-Grant-Hill-NBA-Sensation/overview (said he beat him in 1996 when it was in Atlanta)

I understand he play in 17 games so probable wasn't on the ballot that long. But why didn't the NBA just add him as a bench role in 95?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-10-2012, 07:18 PM

theheatles
01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
punishment to mj for gambling debts leading to his pops death

SteveNash
01-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Because the Illuminati 8th Dragon Stern knew Jordan would choke in the playoffs and thought Tyrone Hill was more deserving.

mustaine
01-10-2012, 07:39 PM
I was reading that Grant Hill beat out Michael Jordan in votes in 1995 and again my 1996. I have a few questions about all that.

My big question is Why didn't Michael make it in 1996 but not 1995?

In his second season (1995–96), he once again led the All-Star fan balloting, this time edging Michael Jordan (Jordan's first All-Star game after returning since retiring in 1993) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Hill

http://blogs.amctv.com/movie/174427/NBA-Grant-Hill-NBA-Sensation/overview (said he beat him in 1996 when it was in Atlanta)

I understand he play in 17 games so probable wasn't on the ballot that long. But why didn't the NBA just add him as a bench role in 95?

The All-Star game in 1995 was played in February and MJ returned from retirement in March. So, Hill didn't beat out MJ that year since he wasn't on the ballot or even playing before the All-Star weekend. I'm not sure I understand the other question though, are you asking why MJ made it in 1996 but not in 1995? I already answered the 1995 question, about the 1996 game, MJ was second in the voting and was named a starter at SG while Hill was a starter at SF. Hope that clears it up.

ShaunGBD
01-10-2012, 09:25 PM
The All-Star game in 1995 was played in February and MJ returned from retirement in March. So, Hill didn't beat out MJ that year since he wasn't on the ballot or even playing before the All-Star weekend. I'm not sure I understand the other question though, are you asking why MJ made it in 1996 but not in 1995? I already answered the 1995 question, about the 1996 game, MJ was second in the voting and was named a starter at SG while Hill was a starter at SF. Hope that clears it up.

Thanks

You did. just a few more questions, those. At that time did it go by position voting or overall voting? If it went by position voting wouldn't you have a Vince Carter like situation. Where Jordan was on the bench. Why were they both starting unless it went by the top 5 voted players? Now the starting lineup is voted by position.

mustaine
01-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Thanks

You did. just a few more questions, those. At that time did it go by position voting or overall voting? If it went by position voting wouldn't you have a Vince Carter like situation. Where Jordan was on the bench. Why were they both starting unless it went by the top 5 voted players? Now the starting lineup is voted by position.

It was basically the same that it is today, the top two overall vote getters at guard, two overall forwards and one center start (in that case it was Jordan/Penny at guard, Hill/Pippen at forward and Shaq at center). MJ was the top overall vote getter at the guard position that year, while Hill was the top overall forward so they were both a lock to start. Even if they would both have been playing the guard position they would have started in the backcourt together.

The Carter situation arose because MJ was on the ballott as a guard and was behind Iverson and McGrady in the voting. Carter was voted on as a starter at forward, he had been injured for much of the season and everyone seemed to think that he should give up his starting spot to MJ. He decided to do so and MJ started in his place.

ShaunGBD
01-11-2012, 02:53 PM
It was basically the same that it is today, the top two overall vote getters at guard, two overall forwards and one center start (in that case it was Jordan/Penny at guard, Hill/Pippen at forward and Shaq at center). MJ was the top overall vote getter at the guard position that year, while Hill was the top overall forward so they were both a lock to start. Even if they would both have been playing the guard position they would have started in the backcourt together.

The Carter situation arose because MJ was on the ballott as a guard and was behind Iverson and McGrady in the voting. Carter was voted on as a starter at forward, he had been injured for much of the season and everyone seemed to think that he should give up his starting spot to MJ. He decided to do so and MJ started in his place.

Thanks for answer my question I remember the Carter, he did moan and say that his fan voted him and he should start, then people talked him down.

I also forgot they do the 2 guards/2 forwards. I thought for what ever reason it was like Fantasy, 1pg/1sg.

Thanks for all the answers.