PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power Rankings Week II

OmahaDro
01-09-2012, 02:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/year/2012/week/2

Suprised to see Minnesota at 15. They are 3-5. BUT could easily be 7-1. Lost by 11 to the Cavs.

I think there combined losses are by a total of 24 points.

Baller1
01-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Not that it makes any difference, but I think OKC deserves the second spot after sweeping their back-to-back-to-back.

sixer04fan
01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Sixers up to 7. Leading the league in both point differential and defense. That's what's up...

*Silver&Black*
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Sixers up to 7. Leading the league in both point differential and defense. That's what's up...

Someone gave them a gift with 16 of the next 20 games at home. Hardly no traveling on the off days.

More-Than-Most
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Holy **** 7...

Lol We will come back down to earth fast but today as a sixer fan I can gloat....Sixers------>Lakers/Knicks/Celtics xD

sixer04fan
01-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Someone gave them a gift with 16 of the next 20 games at home. Hardly no traveling on the off days.

Yeah, it's going to be nice. But we did have the longest road trip in the league to start the season, and have a very road-heavy finish to the season as well, so it balances out definitely.

*Silver&Black*
01-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Jarrett Jack isn't on the All-Star ballot and each team has about 3-4 players on it? Who is on the Hornets ballot then? Jack is averaging 16 and 7.

sixer04fan
01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Holy **** 7...

Lol We will come back down to earth fast but today as a sixer fan I can gloat....Sixers------>Lakers/Knicks/Celtics xD

Hey, we're up to 5th in Chris Sheridan's Power Rankings this week too. Also 7th on NBA.com's rankings this week. The Sixers are getting crazy respect right now.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/01/08/sheridans-sunday-power-rankings/

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/powerrankings/01/09/week2/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

More-Than-Most
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Hey, we're up to 5th in Chris Sheridan's Power Rankings this week too. Also 7th on NBA.com's rankings this week. The Sixers are getting crazy respect right now.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/01/08/sheridans-sunday-power-rankings/

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/powerrankings/01/09/week2/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

We have swag Lol

Chi StateOfMind
01-09-2012, 02:40 PM
I think most teams just wanna get to the postseason. I feel this year will be the year teams really don't care about seeding.

SeoulBeatz
01-09-2012, 02:48 PM
SIXERS BABY WOOOO!

#1 in point differential. #1 in Offense eff and #1 Defense eff.....

this can't last.

nice to be at #7 no matter how long it lasts.

seikou8
01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I think most teams just wanna get to the postseason. I feel this year will be the year teams really don't care about seeding.

100% agree they just want to health come playoff time.

Htownballa1622
01-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Not that it makes any difference, but I think OKC deserves the second spot after sweeping their back-to-back-to-back.

They played the Rockets twice so it might not look as good as it sounds

Chi StateOfMind
01-09-2012, 02:56 PM
100% agree they just want to health come playoff time.

Health will be the KEY to going far in the playoffs. Were only like 9 games in and you can already tell this schedule is taking a toll on the players. Depth and health to me is what teams need to make it until the season ends.

Wade>You
01-09-2012, 02:57 PM
delete

310Casper
01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Boston actually has a chance of not making the playoffs this year with the resurrecting of some of the east teams (sixers/pacers). Wow.

As of today, they're an 8th seed in the east standings. If one of their big 3 goes down, you can expect a fire sale in boston. They'd get so many picks. Theres almost no point in continuing this season as they are built. There is virtually a 0% chance of them getting by the bulls and heat, so why bother. Get younger, start over.

Wade>You
01-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Bullish:
-Blazers (strong start)
-Hawks (strong start and wins against good teams)
-Timberwolves (very close games against good teams, could easily be 5-2 or 6-1)

Bearish:
-Knicks (pieces not clicking together)
-Celtics (poor start, maybe middle of the pack team)
-Mavericks (poor start, maybe middle of the pack team)
-Sixers (hot start against weak schedule)

Cfrey
01-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Mother ****ing Timberwolves baby. Best part is they've barely even played together with the unit that is going to win most of the games.

SeoulBeatz
01-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Bullish:
-Blazers (strong start)

Bearish:

hater :) but point has merit. Tonight's game against Indy should be a good measure.

Baller1
01-09-2012, 03:08 PM
hater :) but point has merit. Tonight's game against Indy should be a good measure.

For whatever reason, I'm completely blanking out right now. What's your guys' starting lineup this season?

PG: Jrue
SG: AI
SF: Young?
PF: Brand
C: ?

Edit: Spencer Hawes... I don't know why I couldn't think of him, haha.

XpLiCiTT
01-09-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm soo pumped for tonights Sixers vs Indy game...would be a huge win imo

For whatever reason, I'm completely blanking out right now. What's your guys' starting lineup this season?

Nope..

Jrue
Jodie Meeks
Iggy
Brand
Hawes

with Turner, Thad, and Lou Will off the bench

and don't sleep on Hawes this year! check his numbers, he's playing outta his mind

SeoulBeatz
01-09-2012, 03:11 PM

PG: Jrue/ Lou Will
SG: Jodie Meeks/ Evan Turner
SF: Iguodala/ Craig Brackins/ Nocioni
PF: Elton Brand/ Thaddeus Young/ Lavoy Allen
C: Spencer Hawes/ Nikola Vucevic

seikou8
01-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Bullish:
-Blazers (strong start)

Bearish:

my knicks are starting to get together they will have 3 game winning steak when they beat the bobcats payback *****es, and mavs are like a new team so its takes time to play wtih each other. i think the sixers will come back down to earth but they will be in the postseason.

justinnum1
01-09-2012, 03:13 PM

Have they played a team with a winning record yet?

XpLiCiTT
01-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Tonights gonna be a good test. Our wins come against teams with losing records, and our losses come against teams with winning records. But regardless, if you've seen us play, we look extremely impressive.

sjbirds
01-09-2012, 03:19 PM

yes... lost to portland and utah... both close games..lost to portland by 4 and utah by 3... could have easily won both...they are picking up where we left off last season... after a 3-13 start last season they ended strong

2-ONE-5
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I understand the point of the Sixers only beating teams with losing records. However they are manhandling teams right now and thats what a good team does. Not trying to compare em to the Heat but the Heat squeaked by the Bobcats and Wolves in 2 of their wins. Same can be said for the Pacers who had played a much weaker schedule so far. I expect the Sixers to beat them tonight

Baller1
01-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm soo pumped for tonights Sixers vs Indy game...would be a huge win imo

Nope..

Jrue
Jodie Meeks
Iggy
Brand
Hawes

with Turner, Thad, and Lou Will off the bench

and don't sleep on Hawes this year! check his numbers, he's playing outta his mind

PG: Jrue/ Lou Will
SG: Jodie Meeks/ Evan Turner
SF: Iguodala/ Craig Brackins/ Nocioni
PF: Elton Brand/ Thaddeus Young/ Lavoy Allen
C: Spencer Hawes/ Nikola Vucevic

Ahhh, ok. I thought Iggy's been playing SF, but I didn't know who was starting at the 2. How's Turner been this year? As you can see, I haven't had a chance to watch Philly yet this season.

d nuggets fan
01-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Can you believe they got those Nuggets at #4 - just like Hollinger's prediction and the Knicks way way down there at #17.

There must be some kind of mistake, HUH?

XpLiCiTT
01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Ahhh, ok. I thought Iggy's been playing SF, but I didn't know who was starting at the 2. How's Turner been this year? As you can see, I haven't had a chance to watch Philly yet this season.

Turner has improved ALOT..he is playing with confidence now and getting a lot of minutes off of the bench (more than Meeks anyway). I guess Collins likes him off the bench for now.

valade16
01-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Can you believe they got those Nuggets at #4 - just like Hollinger's prediction and the Knicks way way down there at #17.

There must be some kind of mistake, HUH?

Yeah, just like he had the Blazers at #3.. Oh, he didn't.

Guess Hollinger doesn't know everything...

SeoulBeatz
01-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Evan Turner is definitely a different player from last year.

He pretty much plays the James Harden role for us next to Lou Will.

The Sixers are an incredibly balanced team so I don't see Evan's points going up but he's rebounding and defending at an extremely high clip and he's making plays every game.

THe scoring breakdown goes as such

Lou Will: 17.1 ppg
Holiday: 14.9
Iguodala: 13.1
Thad Young: 12.7
Hawes: 12.6
Turner: 9.9
Brand: 8.4
Meeks: 7.4
Vucevic: 5.2

There are no stars on this roster, just a bunch of high character young players who know there roles precisely with great chemistry.

d nuggets fan
01-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah, just like he had the Blazers at #3.. Oh, he didn't.

Guess Hollinger doesn't know everything...

Blazers are beast - gonna be a season long battle for 2nd best in the West.

Dolfan305
01-09-2012, 04:07 PM
As long as the Heat stay healthy, I think they do care about the regular season. They don't want to go on a 4 game L streak and go through all that **** form the media

valade16
01-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Blazers are beast - gonna be a season long battle for 2nd best in the West.

Between Nuggets/Thunder? :D

BULLSFAN0810
01-09-2012, 04:12 PM
congrats 6ers

Baller1
01-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Evan Turner is definitely a different player from last year.

He pretty much plays the James Harden role for us next to Lou Will.

The Sixers are an incredibly balanced team so I don't see Evan's points going up but he's rebounding and defending at an extremely high clip and he's making plays every game.

THe scoring breakdown goes as such

Lou Will: 17.1 ppg
Holiday: 14.9
Iguodala: 13.1
Thad Young: 12.7
Hawes: 12.6
Turner: 9.9
Brand: 8.4
Meeks: 7.4
Vucevic: 5.2

There are no stars on this roster, just a bunch of high character young players who know there roles precisely with great chemistry.

Sounds like a fun team to watch. I'm gonna check out the Philly/Indiana game tonight, should be good.

d nuggets fan
01-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Between Nuggets/Thunder? :D

Now don't get ahead of yourself snappy:speechless:

The Ooh Child
01-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Sounds like a fun team to watch. I'm gonna check out the Philly/Indiana game tonight, should be good.

Definitely a fun team to watch. These guys love playing ball together and it really shows.

Oefarmy2005
01-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Let me be honest. I love my Wolves, but #15 - seriously? They should be somewhere around 18-21 - way too inconsistent to be anywhere above that. Rubio has looked pretty good so far though.

billsftw
01-09-2012, 05:39 PM

this

C-Style
01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Lakers are better then Philly, Nuggets, & ATL

jiggin
01-09-2012, 08:12 PM
with all the talk on here about the mighty east and its bulk up in the last 2 off-seasons, why are there so many teams from the west in the top 10? I see 7 west teams and 3 east teams...

sjbirds
01-09-2012, 08:36 PM
with all the talk on here about the mighty east and its bulk up in the last 2 off-seasons, why are there so many teams from the west in the top 10? I see 7 west teams and 3 east teams...

actually there is 4 in the top 10...and the top 2 are from the east

LA_Raiders
01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Its about right.

We are just an average team so far...

jimbobjarree
01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Jazz the biggest jumpers!

may as well enjoy it while it lasts

setman2000
01-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Nuggies #4 - BOOYAH! Knicks #17 - BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I thought Melo wanted to go to a team that could get him a ring!

koetravis
01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Rockets should be a lot closer to the bottom.

JNev
01-10-2012, 12:35 AM
1-2-3-4-5-SIXERS baby!

Evolution23
01-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Nuggies #4 - BOOYAH! Knicks #17 - BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I thought Melo wanted to go to a team that could get him a ring!

we still doing this petty ****?

Bruno
01-10-2012, 01:21 AM
admittedly, i haven't watched the 76ers this season.

do they deserve to be a spot ahead of the Lakers? can any relatively unbiased fans give me their two cents here? whats been big for phili? i gotta catch them soon.

Bruno
01-10-2012, 01:22 AM
one thing is for certain, the nuggets and blazers are for real.

imagine this portland squad with a healthy oden and roy. easily the best team in the west, no? dynasty man.

XpLiCiTT
01-10-2012, 01:29 AM
admittedly, i haven't watched the 76ers this season.

do they deserve to be a spot ahead of the Lakers? can any relatively unbiased fans give me their two cents here? whats been big for phili? i gotta catch them soon.

Admittedly, I haven't really seen the Lakers play but I'll still answer you.

Sixers started the season out on a 5 game road trip (longest in the league), so noone expected them to be where they are now. They haven't had, what many would consider, tough games..however if you actually watched the games they've been VERY impressive.

They are like the third youngest team in the league, and have extreme depth. The emergence of Evan Turner has shown off of the bench, he's playing with a lot of confidence this year and getting a lot of minutes. We have a well rounded young group, with a lot of chemistry. We play great defense, and have 7-9 guys who can score at any moment. There is no star player, but the overall chemistry is really working out. Tonight was a pretty good measuring game since we played a similar team (Pacers, but without Granger) and we got the W by 10.

I love what I see out of my team this year, so hopefully they keep it up. As of now they are very deserving of the spot they've been given, it's good to finally see some respect given, because Sixers fans have not seen any respect since the Iverson days!

shep33
01-10-2012, 01:47 AM
I really like Philly's team this year.

310Casper
01-10-2012, 01:50 AM
I'm intrigued to check out the sixers now. I like Doug Collins and the fact that such a young team is all of a sudden making this big a stride out of nowhere. I wonder if Iguodala still ends up staying these in the near future? I remember people talking as if he was soon to be traded, just a matter of where. Now his team is balling, i wonder if he stays.

Bruno
01-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Admittedly, I haven't really seen the Lakers play but I'll still answer you.

Sixers started the season out on a 5 game road trip (longest in the league), so noone expected them to be where they are now. They haven't had, what many would consider, tough games..however if you actually watched the games they've been VERY impressive.

They are like the third youngest team in the league, and have extreme depth. The emergence of Evan Turner has shown off of the bench, he's playing with a lot of confidence this year and getting a lot of minutes. We have a well rounded young group, with a lot of chemistry. We play great defense, and have 7-9 guys who can score at any moment. There is no star player, but the overall chemistry is really working out. Tonight was a pretty good measuring game since we played a similar team (Pacers, but without Granger) and we got the W by 10.

I love what I see out of my team this year, so hopefully they keep it up. As of now they are very deserving of the spot they've been given, it's good to finally see some respect given, because Sixers fans have not seen any respect since the Iverson days!

thanks for your response.

They are leading the league in SRS. they have the 4th ranked offense and top ranked defense through their first seven games. I have spencer hawes in one of my fantasy leagues and know he's been fantastic, statistically.

things are looking exciting for 76ers. as you mentioned, they haven't faced contenders, but if their defense is the real deal they don't need a legitimate super-start to beat some playoff contenders. they lost against Portland but only by four, that says something.

KKell2507
01-10-2012, 02:11 AM
For those who havent seen the Sixers play this year as a lot of people it seems havent; best way to describe them is the east version of the denver nuggets. No star that will get you 25 a night but 6-7 damn good players who can all score and collectively play great defense. Sixers may be the most balanced team in the league and are young and FAST. To have their lowest scoring total of any game so far be 96 points and to be averaging over 100, and yet there leading scorer is Lou Williams at 16.6 points a game shows you how balanced they have to be to score that many points.

And if you havent seen what spencer hawes is putting up numbers wise you should take a look, hes playing out of his mind right now.

Or another comparison i like to use is their the closest thing to a college basketball team that youll ever get on an NBA floor. They play hard, hustle, are scrappy, fight for everything, chemistry is outstanding, and all 13 guys look like they love playing the game of basketball every night. Similar more so to the college game than youll see in the NBA. So if youre a big fan of college basketball, check out the Sixers, cause I think youll love watching them play.

KKell2507
01-10-2012, 02:24 AM
I'm intrigued to check out the sixers now. I like Doug Collins and the fact that such a young team is all of a sudden making this big a stride out of nowhere. I wonder if Iguodala still ends up staying these in the near future? I remember people talking as if he was soon to be traded, just a matter of where. Now his team is balling, i wonder if he stays.

Thing is they didnt really come out of nowhere. Well nationally they have I guess, but most Sixers fans saw this coming(maybe not to this extent this quickly granted but something like this). They were a damn good team last year once they figured out how to play under coach collins new system and understood their roles in his new schemes. Remember they started last year 3-13 and had the worst record in basketball through 16 games. They finished 41-41 and were a game behind the Knicks for 6 seed in the east. Which means over there last 66 games(same as this years schedule) they went 38-28, which was a .576 winning percentage. Had they played that the entire year last year they would have been 48-34 or 5th in the East.

Now add on the fact that now you have a team who understands their roles and has great chemistry, plus another year of these young players getting older together, and you have the makings of a VERY good basketball team. And remember their the 3rd youngest team in the NBA and that includes Tony Battie(35) and Andres Nocioni(32), who have contributed a combined 16 minutes so far this year. This team is here to stay in my opinion.

SportsAndrew25
01-10-2012, 02:40 AM
Rating here are good. I would argue that the Timerwolves are ranked a little high.

valade16
01-10-2012, 02:48 PM
one thing is for certain, the nuggets and blazers are for real.

imagine this portland squad with a healthy oden and roy. easily the best team in the west, no? dynasty man.

I know, imagine being a Blazers fan and knowing this :(

gotoHcarolina52
01-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Hollinger has the Sixers atop his power rankings

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

XpLiCiTT
01-10-2012, 06:24 PM

:)..not going to say that is necessarily true, but it's nice to finally see the Sixers get some recognition.

SeoulBeatz
01-10-2012, 06:42 PM

lol as if hollinger wasn't getting bashed enough on PSD.

But yes, does feel good to get recognition for once. Since their 3-13 start last year, the Sixers have the 4th best record in the East.

Certainly not a fluke team as many on here think.

        
01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
The Knicks are very overrated imo, the Jazz should be above them.

Colts2180
01-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I understand the point of the Sixers only beating teams with losing records. However they are manhandling teams right now and thats what a good team does. Not trying to compare em to the Heat but the Heat squeaked by the Bobcats and Wolves in 2 of their wins. Same can be said for the Pacers who had played a much weaker schedule so far. I expect the Sixers to beat them tonight

Pacers played without Granger and Hill last night. Our best player and best bench player. Was very shorthanded against a very deep team. Sixers are a good team but not better than Indy when Indys at full strength IMO. We will see when the games in Indy. Much better home team than on the road.

bholly
01-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Pacers played without Granger and Hill last night. Our best player and best bench player. Was very shorthanded against a very deep team. Sixers are a good team but not better than Indy when Indys at full strength IMO. We will see when the games in Indy. Much better home team than on the road.

Yeah, it's a shame we have to wait two months before they play again.

The home and away in the last few weeks of the season could be huge, though.

BallIsAll
01-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Let's see if the sixers can beat the Knicks lol that should be a fun game.