PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sloan will return to coaching for the "right situation"

Fresno
01-09-2012, 01:29 AM
"I think if the right situation came along, whatever that is," he said before pausing to ponder. "I don't know what the right situation is. We'll have to wait and see, I guess."

He'll be waiting for the phone to ring again at his home in Utah, where he became the NBA's third-most winningest coach of all time (1,221-803) before abruptly stepping down last February. After 23 seasons, the job became too taxing for the longest tenured coach in league history.

"My energy level has changed a great deal since I quit coaching," said Sloan, who is an avid walker. "It's changed a lot now. I've had time to work out. I feel better.

"I had a chance to relax, to do something that I haven't had the time to do in 30 years. That's rewarding. You have time to spend with the family and have Thanksgiving and things like that. I enjoyed all of that. But [returning to coaching] is a decision where, if somebody talked to me, I'd review the situation like anybody else and take it from there."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/01/07/jerry.sloan/index.html#ixzz1iw5Vp3xC

Glad to see he's thinking about a return.

Wade>You
01-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Go back to Utah, Jerry!

Cavs_Fan24
01-09-2012, 01:42 AM
I say the clips. He's uses to having deadly pg-pf pick and roll combos and cp3 and blake show fit the bill. He could make the clippers a much improved half-court team.

LA_Raiders
01-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Lakers next year, I dont see brown making it.... Kobe is coaching the game not him...

beasted86
01-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Donald Sterling isn't the type of guy I'd see a class act coach like Jerry Sloan coaching for. Don't see him joining the media circus and polarizing fans in NY either.

I'd imagine he wants a coachable team without the primadonna stars who want to outrank the coach. A younger team that would commit to his coaching and play defense.

All that said, Utah looks like a good fit. Trade away Jefferson and Harris and pickup right where he left off but with young players who he can coach.

Chi StateOfMind
01-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Coach the Knicks.

Hellcrooner
01-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Plase come to lakers and get Potato Head out already.

LTBaByyy
01-09-2012, 03:08 AM
He will coach Clippers, Lakers, or Knicks

Guarantee it

Cal827
01-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Knicks. When D'Antoni faces the firing squad in the next couple weeks, they will have a coaching vacancy.

LGhost
01-09-2012, 03:10 AM
I'd imagine he wants a coachable team without the primadonna stars who want to outrank the coach. A younger team that would commit to his coaching and play defense.

Agree

LeonFSU
01-09-2012, 03:41 AM
If OKC ever decided to get rid of Brooks, Sloan could be a great fit.

Fresno
01-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Donald Sterling isn't the type of guy I'd see a class act coach like Jerry Sloan coaching for. Don't see him joining the media circus and polarizing fans in NY either.

All that said, Utah looks like a good fit. Trade away Jefferson and Harris and pickup right where he left off but with young players who he can coach.

Sloan's not going back to the Utah Jazz.

Kevin O'Connor played a key role in what led to his resignation following the last blow-up between him & D-Will.

The last thing Sloan needs to be doing is trying to coach up a "young team" with a bunch of young players that got their previous coach fired. A veteran squad with star power needing a coach to develop a culture there is the best fit for Jerry Sloan at this stage in his career whether it be for 2-4 seasons.

The Clippers & Knicks make the most sense from that standpoint.

Both teams could use a coach like Sloan stepping in and taking them to the next level.

Bravo95
01-09-2012, 04:19 AM
He's just the man this Hawks team needs to instill some damn toughness and a real offensive system.

Too bad the ownership is terrible and cheap. :sigh:

Sactown
01-09-2012, 05:21 AM
Kings, sup

jam
01-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Would love to see Jerry Sloan coaching again.

BULLSFAN0810
01-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Go back to Utah, Jerry!

I If was Riley, I'd send Wade with a blank check.baby pat riles isn't gonna cut it.The Heat ned a leader.Imho Wade is the best player, but isn't much a leader

Bulls_fan90
01-09-2012, 05:53 AM
They just gave baby Pat Riles an extension. Don't rate him as a coach, but now that he's signed on Sloan is not an option for the HEATles.

SportsAndrew25
01-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Like to see him as a Knicks coach.

Sly Guy
01-09-2012, 11:24 AM
clips. Players there are willing to play defense.

Squad13
01-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Kings, sup

That's probably the worst place for him. Do you think he'd put up with Cousins acting like a 16 year old? :laugh:

Greet
01-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't think he'd be good in NY. I think LAC is a great fit though. Maybe he'll rejoin Deron in NJ :)

P Styles
01-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Knicks please! Bye bye D'Antoni!

One can only hope...

beasted86
01-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Kings, sup

Last I checked Cousins being a hotheaded baby was basically one of the reasons they fired the head coach.

Sloan is definitely not going to a situation where Cousins of all people has say on what management does with it's HC position.

omdigga
01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
i cant really see him in ny... i dont think he would like the media pressure that comes along with coaching here.. also it would be hard for our players to go from a coach who lets them get away with anything they do to playing for someone who might hold them accountable for playing some D...

IndyRealist
01-09-2012, 12:57 PM
When Sloan has been really good, he's had all-world PG's. I don't think he goes anywhere that doesn't have a coachable, star-ish PG lined up. He's also a country guy and would probablly shy away from huge cities like LA and NYC. If the Pacers didn't already have a good young coach AND a backup head coach already lined up, I'd take a shot at him.

DMasta718
01-09-2012, 12:57 PM
The best fit for him would be OKC imo.

OaklandsFinest
01-10-2012, 01:31 AM
The best fits for him would be a place like OKC mentioned earlier, or maybe Portland. I could even see him going to Minnesota, I could see him, and Love being a perfect tandem, and he could toughen up Rubio, Williams, and Randolph.

Bruno
01-10-2012, 01:33 AM
id love to see him back in the league. with the recent/current changing of the guard (ownership, coaching and players) it'd be nice to see some old faces back in the league again. ground is shifting quickly in the nba these days.

310Casper
01-10-2012, 01:45 AM
I dont get the hate on Mike Brown. He's done a good job with the lakers thus far, if it werent for their 2nd best player/starting center (Bynum) missing the first 5 games of the season, they'd be 1st or 2nd in the western standings right now.

OaklandsFinest
01-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Plus Minnesota is off the media radar

utl768
01-10-2012, 01:48 AM
go back to utah

derons gone