PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft: Drummond says he's staying at UConn

bholly
01-08-2012, 02:35 AM
I know it's pretty much the beginning of the season, and not time to be thinking draft yet, but this is still interesting news anyway. In the major online mocks he's #1 at hoopshype and nbadraft.net, #4 at ESPN, and #2 at draftexpress.

It's a loaded draft anyway, but it could make a huge difference to some team if he isn't there. I've seen countless posters here use him as the example of the player they're dreaming of if their teams do poorly this season.

PISCATAWAY, N.J. Despite being projected as a lottery pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, UConn freshman Andre Drummond said he plans to return for his sophomore season.

As of right now, I know Ill be back, he told SNY.tv exclusively following No. 8 UConns 67-60 loss to Rutgers Saturday. Thats all I could tell you, Ill be back.

Even if youre a Top 5 pick?

Yeah, Ill be back, added the 6-foot-11 Drummond, who tallied 10 points, 12 rebounds, seven turnovers, two blocks and one highlight-reel dunk in which he took off eight feet from the basket and flushed it.

Eight NBA scouts were at the game, including Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak and Charlotte Bobcats GM Rich Cho.

Still, Drummond said he wants to continue to develop under head coach Jim Calhoun, who has produced a long line of NBA big men, from Emeka Okafor to Jeff Adrien.

Playing under Jim Calhouns wing, its going to be great, Drummond said. Im trying to be here just to be a great basketball player and get better as a person and hes the guy to do it.

Drummond could, of course, change his mind after the season ends but for now he says he wont.

No, Im just going, he said. Im just playing my basketball right now. Im not really thinking about the future. Im just trying to win a national championship and a Big East championship.

Drummond is playing this year as a walk-on after Michael Bradley offered to give him his scholarship once Drummond joined the team in August.

I was paying for school since I came, Drummond said. And he offered to give it to me, I told him No but nobody ever knew about it.
Source: http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/07/drummond-says-he-plans-to-return-for-sophomore-season/

loublue22
01-08-2012, 02:37 AM
"As of right now"

means nothing

Raps18-19 Champ
01-08-2012, 02:46 AM
That's what other players have said before only to declare.

greg_ory_2005
01-08-2012, 02:54 AM
He's probably mad that his team lost the game.

Sactown
01-08-2012, 03:00 AM
And last week when the Kings got blown out I said I was done with the team, but I'm still here...

iggypop123
01-08-2012, 03:05 AM
dont people say he's the next amare? he would be stupid to stay. unless his family is rich

jimbobjarree
01-08-2012, 03:06 AM
this has been said and contradicted before by many

Cano-Montero...
01-08-2012, 03:09 AM
what the hell is mitch doing there? fix our problems at pg first..lol

anyway nothing will change if he stay...

Still, Drummond said he wants to continue to develop under head coach Jim Calhoun, who has produced a long line of NBA big men, from Emeka Okafor to Jeff Adrien.

lol

Cal827
01-08-2012, 03:44 AM
And last week when the Kings got blown out I said I was done with the team, but I'm still here...

:laugh2:

aussie
01-08-2012, 04:13 AM
he'll be a hornet at the start of next season

Gram
01-08-2012, 10:23 AM

:laugh2:

IndyRealist
01-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Plenty of time for his handlers to change his mind for him.

justinnum1
01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
we will see what happens when he is projected #2 pick and 4mil a year...

ramz.n
01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
"as of right now" makes me laugh...and since has calhoun has produced so many talented big men from "okafor and jeff adrien"..give me break..if hes produced such a long line of good bigs why would he name jeff adrien who has not done anything in the nba.

kobebabe
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
They asked him this after a loss. What do you expect? Ask him few days before deadline to declare and see if that changes:cool:

thekmp211
01-08-2012, 11:48 AM
he probably should come out, but two years at uconn would do wonders for drummond. he'd be the consensus #1 pick next season. injuries are always the concern.

rockbottom2010
01-08-2012, 12:14 PM
i think why hes sayin this cuz anthony davis is projected #1 over him rite now...so he wants to create a little controversy and go #1.....hes right now projected #2 or 3....this years draft is super deep....deeper than ever

MagicBucsSox
01-08-2012, 12:27 PM
He needs to, he looks like a nugget in the college game

knicks=love
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
if anyone honestly believes this kid right now, you're stupid. he's in the middle of his season where he should be focusing, not whether he'll enter the draft next year or not. honestly, i think he should've said that i'm on uconn right now, and that's where my heart is or where my mind is. that would prove to me that this kid doesn't need all of the hype and pressure in the middle of his college season.

Sportfan
01-10-2012, 12:23 AM
he probably should come out, but two years at uconn would do wonders for drummond. he'd be the consensus #1 pick next season. injuries are always the concern.

Nope. Shabazz is already the #1 pick.

Although Steven Adams is also coming next year, he's going to be more raw next year than Drummond is this year, but if he does declare good chance we see 2 centers go in the top 3.

2-ONE-5
01-10-2012, 12:37 AM
He will stay and he should. Watched some of him tonight and he looked good but I wouldnt say his game is NBA ready. Most of these big guys that come out too raw struggle and never live up to the expectations.

thekmp211
01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Nope. Shabazz is already the #1 pick.

Although Steven Adams is also coming next year, he's going to be more raw next year than Drummond is this year, but if he does declare good chance we see 2 centers go in the top 3.

i'd be shocked if muhammed went over drummond next year. depends on the team picking i guess.

drummond was a man last night, took over the game against wvu. still don't get why chad ford hates on the kid so much, he's clearly a better prospect than perry jones imo.

VRP723
01-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I could see him staying, he's a strange guy

topdog
01-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Remember a kid named Greg Oden who wanted to finish college before the NBA?

That said, as a Wolves fan I would welcome as many of these top prospects staying an extra year.

310Casper
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
money talks.

When it comes down to that final decision days before the deadline, he will make the right decision.