PDA

View Full Version : Timberwolves: How Good Can They Be?

jam
01-07-2012, 05:21 AM
This team looks pretty good on paper: a terrific young point guard in Rubio; a fantastic rebounder, a good scorer (Beasley) and a 7 footer who may pan out as a starter (Darko). JJ can provide a bit of scoring when he returns.

They haven't had good results, although they've been competitive. They have a modest payroll, and their best players are all quite young.

Can this team make the playoffs in a year or two with their current squad? Management has had a terrible track record recently; but is it conceivable that they could sign a worthwhile free agent, despite their terrible record?

I'm optimistic about this team, but would like objective takes on this team's prospects.

PacersForLife
01-07-2012, 05:26 AM
I don't see why they couldn't be a playoff team next year.

Cal827
01-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Yeah, they should fight... It's unfortunate that Stern is going to make sure their pick is 1st overall if they miss the playoffs though lol

-We haven't seen a lot from Rubio, but from what I've seen, he'll be a good starting pass-first PG.

- Kevin Love looks like he might be on the verge of becoming a superstar

-Wesley Johnson might be a decent starting SG, but not completely convinced yet. I'll say this: It's a damn shame for T'wolves fans that they drafted Flynn as well that year rather than Derozan.

- SF might pose a problem. Derrick Williams was 2nd overall, and they are gonna want him to play. Beasley plays the same position and chucks up alot of shots. It wouldn't surprise me if they try to deal him out for a pick near this deadline to a contender that needs a bit more scoring.

Playoffs should be attainable in 1 year or 2.

RaiderKid318
01-07-2012, 06:17 AM
please just be bad for one more season, so my hornets don't suck for the next 5 years! Next year you can win it all for all i care lol

JayW_1023
01-07-2012, 06:26 AM
I want Rubio to start, he is obviously already a lot better than Ridnour (even though Ridnour is a terrific role player)

eso
01-07-2012, 07:53 AM
8th seed this year and a ship in 5 years if they keep there core...

itsripcity32
01-07-2012, 08:06 AM
As of today, they can be 2-5 good.

theheatles
01-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't expect them to be a playoff team this yr and I don't think they will win a championship with this core but they can be a top 4 team in the west for the next 5 yrs and have some chances at western conference championships if they keep improving but as exciting and promising as this team is, they just have too much competition across the league

lilchuckdoubles
01-07-2012, 10:56 AM
It all depends on Derick Williams to me. If he can develop into a athletic version of Danny Granger, then we have a strong core that can make a run at a championship, maybe two. You can already see what type of players Love and Rubio are going to be. The next thing our F/O has to do is bring in nuthin but great defenders and hope Williams becomes one of the leagues best scorers.

twin4life
01-07-2012, 11:03 AM
We will get to see them without Beasley on Sunday. which they have 2 moves they could make. Move wes to SF and start both Rubio and Luke to have a lineup of
Rubio
Luke
Wes
Love
Darko
or could go big and start
Luke
Wes
Williams
Love
Darko
Im not sure if they will start either of the rookies maybe AT will start. But as of right now they remind me of the Twins bullpen. You got the good ones. then you got the guys who can be good but then suck then give you hope but then fail you again. Matt Capps = Michael Beasley. I wouldnt be surprised at all if both Beasley and Wes get traded this year for a true SG since Darko has been playing better.

Swashcuff
01-07-2012, 11:45 AM
An upgrade at the C and the SG is what they desperately need. Darko is good but for that team they'd need better. Wesley Johnson hasn't become the player they expected him to become. Solid veteran help at those 2 positions and I believe they can be legit contenders in 3 years.

29$JerZ
01-07-2012, 11:48 AM
If they hold on to Love and Rubio has no health problems they will be scary.
They still need a SG IMO. You can get away without having a very good Center but a great wing player is a must with a guy like Rubio.

They should be a playoff team next season. Depends on how their Front office addresses their Sg problem. They also need to swap some of their youth for vets. Mainly Randolph and Beasly if possible.

Nycbball08
01-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Woulda, coulda, shoulda..

bovice163
01-07-2012, 12:17 PM
They need some more veteran presence on their roster. All of them are far too young to succeed in the playoffs right now. Kahn will move some pieces around though and I see them getting some veteran depth.

ZamboniCub
01-07-2012, 12:19 PM
wolves need a 2guard bad. id love to see them get iggy. wes has been bad this year, he needs to go to the bench. klove is the best pf in game right now and he still needs to work on his post game. rubio should be starting so they dont get in these early holes in games. i can really see them fighting for an 8th seed this year with no roster moves. they layed an egg last night but this year they look like a different team. tough schedule and they have competed. watch out.

Hawkeye15
01-07-2012, 12:49 PM
An upgrade at the C and the SG is what they desperately need. Darko is good but for that team they'd need better. Wesley Johnson hasn't become the player they expected him to become. Solid veteran help at those 2 positions and I believe they can be legit contenders in 3 years.

This sums it up. Wes is obviously not going to be a good NBA player, and both he and Ellington are role players off the bench. An active center and an upgrade at SG, and in a couple of years under Adelman, they will be a good team.

Frustrating to watch now however. We get nothing from our wings, and I mean nothing. Wes, Beasley, and Ellington suck. And that midget Barea has been hurt. Rubio and Love are the for sure keepers, and Williams looks like he will be a pretty solid player. But everyone else is whatever.

PrettyBoyJ
01-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I honesty thought they would be better this year..K. Love is playing great but the other guys need to break out already.. I thought this would Wesley Johnson breakout year..

Hawkeye15
01-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I honesty thought they would be better this year..K. Love is playing great but the other guys need to break out already.. I thought this would Wesley Johnson breakout year..

Outside the San Antonio game, where nobody missed, Wes has sucked. He can not dribble the ball, won't attack, and has relegated himself to a spot up shooter. Only he isn't making his shots. 24 years old, I just don't see him being much of a player.

The biggest problem we have, is at every spot but PF in our starting lineup, we have what would be bench players on a good team starting. Rubio should be starting at this point, since the only offense we generate points in is the pick and roll. Love and Rubio are the only guys above league average PER, and the only worthy starters we have. Barea would be better starting than Luke/Wes/Ellington.

Beasley will miss a few games, thank god, so at least we will slide Wes to SF and get another ball handler on the floor.

Hawkeye15
01-07-2012, 12:57 PM
I am not pleased with what I am seeing after the last 2 games. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers, and missed free throws all year. The only games we have won we are on fire. A coach can't help you if you want to just dribble it into traffic or throw a pass into triple coverage, or clank a free throw.

Hellcrooner
01-07-2012, 01:04 PM
They just need to mave one bold move to get into playoffs THIS season.

Send Some of these players Ridnour/Ellignton/Williams / Johnson /Beasley Darko for PAU in a three way wiht orlando. Keeping Love and Rubio.

They could have REALLY used a Sg and a defensive SF, i dont get AT ALL why did they not negotiate with Dallas , i mean they surely coudl have given dallas a Seconr rounder like Nuggets did for Brewer anr Rudy Fernandez ( who just happens to be Rubios best friend......)

Kakaroach
01-07-2012, 01:07 PM
I remember everyone thought the T-Wolves were gonna be better than the Jazz this year. :shrug:

To me it just comes down to drafting for them. Rubio, Williams, and Love were great choices, but everyone else they've drafted just aren't very good like Flynn, Brewer, and Wes Johnson.

I think they can right the ship though with 2 future star players, but they won't be making the playoffs anytime soon.

Fnom11
01-07-2012, 01:07 PM
They need to trade one of their PFs with Beasley for a good SG/SF and they could be a legit contender.

topdog
01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
I remember everyone thought the T-Wolves were gonna be better than the Jazz this year. :shrug:

To me it just comes down to drafting for them. Rubio, Williams, and Love were great choices, but everyone else they've drafted just aren't very good like Flynn, Brewer, and Wes Johnson.

I think they can right the ship though with 2 future star players, but they won't be making the playoffs anytime soon.

Not the "experts." Every article I read had Jazz 4th and Wolves 5th in the NW Division. But it's still early and the Jazz (while currently "in the playoffs" are only 3-3).

Dolfan305
01-07-2012, 01:35 PM
overrated. I will bet anything they won't make the playoffs with this current team

Swashcuff
01-07-2012, 01:37 PM
overrated. I will bet anything they won't make the playoffs with this current team

They aren't overrated in the least bit. Their young players are under-performing. That's not overrated. Aren't you a Heat fan? Look at how they gave the Heat a run for their money in that game. How can they be overrated. If their young support players do what they are suppose to they'd be in a much better position that they're in now.

SlimKid
01-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Not sure how a 17 win team from last year, with a new coach, two rookies, and a midget is considered overrated.. This teams has a lot of work ahead of them to even be considered rated.. (And I'm a T-Wolves fan) There is a glimmer of hope with a few of our guys, but were still a year and SG/C away from being anything really.

jam
01-07-2012, 04:27 PM
The Wolves are young, so they'll have some time to develop.

I'd like to see them get a bit more athletic: exhibit 1--the thunder, another young team. Westbrook travels, turns the ball over, throws up wild shots and generally embarrasses himself every night. Yet, he and his teammates are so athletic, they win most of their games anyway. OKC did manage to pick up a veteran center with a ring, so that helps as well.

The question I have is, is wolves management willing to pony up to make a free agent run, if and when the opportunity presents itself.

Evolution23
01-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Expect them to be decent but still got a long way to go before they can contend. Still too young and inexperienced.

John Walls Era
01-07-2012, 04:48 PM
They just need to mave one bold move to get into playoffs THIS season.

Send Some of these players Ridnour/Ellignton/Williams / Johnson /Beasley Darko for PAU in a three way wiht orlando. Keeping Love and Rubio.

They could have REALLY used a Sg and a defensive SF, i dont get AT ALL why did they not negotiate with Dallas , i mean they surely coudl have given dallas a Seconr rounder like Nuggets did for Brewer anr Rudy Fernandez ( who just happens to be Rubios best friend......)

They're not getting Dwight or Gasol, stop dreaming.

Getting Drummond, Barnes or Lamb in the draft should be enough to get them in the playoffs if their players are who we think they are.

Hawkeye15
01-07-2012, 04:54 PM
They're not getting Dwight or Gasol, stop dreaming.

Getting Drummond, Barnes or Lamb in the draft should be enough to get them in the playoffs if their players are who we think they are.

alas, our previous GM thought SO MUCH of Marko Jaric, he traded Sam Cassell, and what will be this years unprotected 1st rounder for him, signing him to a terrible extension in the process.

We have maybe Utah's pick, but I think they will be too bad. I am more interested giving up some of the young talent to acquire a legit starting wing in the NBA from a team moving into rebuilding, or that has a youngster behind a good wing needing minutes. Anyone but Love or Rubio can go.

ClippersE.G
01-07-2012, 05:06 PM
They are good but the need to get rid of Kevin Love. He sucks, is slow, thinks he is better than he is and just doesnt go with that team. Kevin Love has to be on a slow boring old team like the Celtics. He will mesh with them perfectly. I bet Rubio wished that Williams guy got more PT than Love because that is the type of player he needs...not a unathletic white guy who cant even dunk

ClippersE.G
01-07-2012, 05:07 PM
They should trade Love while people think he is good and people think he can be a cornerstone for a franchise...(when it is obvious he cant be)they might build a decent little team.

John Walls Era
01-07-2012, 05:08 PM
alas, our previous GM thought SO MUCH of Marko Jaric, he traded Sam Cassell, and what will be this years unprotected 1st rounder for him, signing him to a terrible extension in the process.

We have maybe Utah's pick, but I think they will be too bad. I am more interested giving up some of the young talent to acquire a legit starting wing in the NBA from a team moving into rebuilding, or that has a youngster behind a good wing needing minutes. Anyone but Love or Rubio can go.

Wow that sucks. This might be the most stacked draft class (until 2015). I can't see the Wolves making the playoffs with the Love-Rubio-Wes J core. Love can only take them so far by himself. IMO they should've tried to get Afflalo this offseason.

John Walls Era
01-07-2012, 05:09 PM
They are good but the need to get rid of Kevin Love. He sucks, is slow, thinks he is better than he is and just doesnt go with that team. Kevin Love has to be on a slow boring old team like the Celtics. He will mesh with them perfectly. I bet Rubio wished that Williams guy got more PT than Love because that is the type of player he needs...not a unathletic white guy who cant even dunk

Is this because of Blake Griffin?

FriedTofuz
01-07-2012, 05:11 PM
that team is stacked. all their core has been high lottery picks

Ricky rubio-5th pick
wesley johnson-4th pick
michael beasly-2nd pick
kevin love-5th pick
darko milicic-2nd pick
derrick williams-2nd pick

what I wonder is, were the minesota timberwolves tanking all this time? they always seemed to be at the bottom of the western conference every single year.

John Walls Era
01-07-2012, 05:13 PM
that team is stacked. all their core has been high lottery picks

Ricky rubio-5th pick
wesley johnson-4th pick
michael beasly-2nd pick
kevin love-5th pick
darko milicic-2nd pick
derrick williams-2nd pick

what I wonder is, were the minesota timberwolves tanking all this time? they always seemed to be at the bottom of the western conference every single year.

They only drafted 4 of them and even then only 1 of them is a sure thing and what are they going to do with DWill (who I think could and should play SF).

SlimKid
01-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Please tell me this was a joke??

SlimKid
01-07-2012, 06:23 PM
They only drafted 4 of them and even then only 1 of them is a sure thing and what are they going to do with DWill (who I think could and should play SF).

According to Adelman, Williams is unable to guard 3's at this early point of his career, but I am with you on that one.. They'll be forced to eventually, the kid has shown he can play in the limited minutes he's gotten..

topdog
01-07-2012, 06:40 PM

You obviously have never watched Love play. Love can indeed dunk and has added the drive-and-dunk to his 3pt. ball-fake repetoire. Love is exactly the kind of player Rubio needs because you can't run all game and Love is an accurate shooter who finishes off Rubio's open looks.

The man is a rebounding machine (important on a fast-pace team), gets to the line a bunch, is accurate from the 3pt arch, is crafty and is improved defensively after shedding weight in the offseason. How many other PFs can do those things?

The only thing correct in your post is that Williams needs more PT. He and Rubio have good chemistry and have averaged about 1 sick alley-oop per game.

Swashcuff
01-07-2012, 06:45 PM
That Clippers EG guy is obviously a troll I don't think it would make any sense attempting to have a debate with a guy like him

DR_1
01-07-2012, 07:35 PM
If they can keep Love they will be championship contenders in a few years.

DR_1
01-07-2012, 07:36 PM

I thought they would trade Beasley and have DWill start at the 3 eventually.

JasonJohnHorn
01-07-2012, 07:39 PM
This team needs to push for a D-Will trade when the Nets fail to land Howard. D-Will is not staying if he doesnt get help, and when they fail to land Howard, they will be in a rush to trade D-Will before he bolts and they get nothing for him. Minny would be a great location for D-Will, and a trade package including Rubio, picks and perhaps Beasley, would allow the T-Wolves to put D-Will and Kevin Love on the court at the same time, and with Adleman as the coach... fawgitaboudit!

Birdmannn
01-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Thats what im hoping too.

JasonJohnHorn
01-07-2012, 07:43 PM

Are you trolling here? Kevin Love is playing better basketball than anybody in the league right now. But if 20+ points and 15+ rebounds a game equates bad basketball, I'm watching the wrong league.

Hellcrooner
01-07-2012, 08:15 PM
This team needs to push for a D-Will trade when the Nets fail to land Howard. D-Will is not staying if he doesnt get help, and when they fail to land Howard, they will be in a rush to trade D-Will before he bolts and they get nothing for him. Minny would be a great location for D-Will, and a trade package including Rubio, picks and perhaps Beasley, would allow the T-Wolves to put D-Will and Kevin Love on the court at the same time, and with Adleman as the coach... fawgitaboudit!

Mmm deron?

what for?

I mean rubio has a good chance to be better than him in some time, and being younger.

What i dont get is why in hell they dont send khan to orlando to trhow a pitch at howard.
They can have the capspace this summer to add him by renouncing the rights t beasley adn takin loves qualyfyng offer.

Rubio/wes/Williams/Love/Dwight.
Dinasty-

jam
01-08-2012, 05:12 AM
A FL to Minnesota move would be a tough sell, even in the best of times. I think it would be more realistic to see Dwight angling for a move to the clippers or lakers, for that matter.

Dwight's a bit of a media diva, but I suppose anything's possible. It's that type of bold move which catapults franchises to legendary status, i.e., lakers pulling the trigger for shaq.

Does Minnesota realistically have the resources to support max deals for Dwight and Love? That is, can they sell enough luxury boxes, inflate front row ticket prices and max out a tv deal to make that type of payroll possible?

cambovenzi
01-08-2012, 05:24 AM
one of worst teams in league seven years running
praise love as best player and say their team is good anyways
????
profit

IBleedPurple
01-08-2012, 05:48 AM

This. I expect some moves in the next 1-2 yrs.

John Walls Era
01-08-2012, 06:02 AM
According to Adelman, Williams is unable to guard 3's at this early point of his career, but I am with you on that one.. They'll be forced to eventually, the kid has shown he can play in the limited minutes he's gotten..

I hope so.

FreakaNashur
01-08-2012, 06:04 AM
rubio is becoming my fav spanish player