PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 "future" PGs

XpLiCiTT
01-07-2012, 02:42 AM
I wanna see what everyone thinks of this..name your top 5. List should consist of guys still on their rookie contracts that haven't made an all-star game yet.

The discussion was just brought up on ESPN2 (NBA tonight) so I really wanna see some of your lists since there are SO many young guards in the league right now

Jalen Roses top 5 regular was rose, cp3, rondo, westbrook, d-will..then his future top 5 went wall, curry, jennings, tyreke, lawson.

Call me a "homer" but i was kind of mad Jrue Holiday was left out of his list..if you have been watching sixers games this year he is unbelievable and has so much potential..i'd definitely put him ahead of Lawson..but other than that I agree.

Cal827
01-07-2012, 02:45 AM
Yeah, I don't know how Drue isn't there. I've loved what I've seen from the guy. Should be there over the chucker.

Also, Evans is naturally a SG. He needs a scoring PG and he'll be great. Just imagine him and Rose :drool:

XpLiCiTT
01-07-2012, 02:47 AM
Yeah Reke, and even Curry could be fitted at the 2. And Jennings is just a flashy gunner. Jrue is a PURE point guard with ALOT of potential. It is just frustrating because the Sixers (along with their players) get NO respect on ESPN, lol.

shellshocked430
01-07-2012, 02:58 AM
i like the future ones they say but obviously as a philly native and smart NBA enthusiast, jrue holiday got screwed on these rankings.. he is better than lawson.. he also has finally developed a knock down three which makes him even more dangerous for defenders.. the guys isn't your westbrook or rose athlete, but he is (i believe) a hybrid of nash and rondo.... very fast, creative passer, and can shoot (sorry rajon). If he keeps it up with clutch shooting in the fourth and becomes a dagger, i put him right up there with wall as a top 1 or 2 future point guard.. call me hopeful, but i think he could potentially be a top 5 PG in the next several years.. but i go wall, curry, jrue, rubio, irving

Baller1
01-07-2012, 03:01 AM
To be honest, I like Jrue and Lawson as my point guard over Reke and BJ.

asandhu23
01-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Curry and his ankle. Hall of Fame.

thenetslegend
01-07-2012, 03:11 AM
where is rubio? irving? tyreke is a SG and jennings shouldnt have made it. lawson shouldnt be either. poor list.

rubio
wall
irving
holiday
curry- if healthy

tredigs
01-07-2012, 03:17 AM
No Lowry mention yet? Him, Lawson, Curry and Rubio will be the best of that group in my opinion.

Wall has a lot to figure out, but he will be electric.

01-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Lawson is better than jrue holiday. I know because i'm a denver + philly fan. Ty lawson in my opinion is a lot more efficient, and quicker. And look at the stats.

Ty lawson

PPG 16.7
RPG 3.4
APG 5.6
SPG 2.6
BPG 0.0
FG% 0.530
FT% 0.821
3P% 0.333
MPG 32.1

Jrue Holiday

PPG 17.0
RPG 2.6
APG 3.8
SPG 1.2
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.463
FT% 0.882
3P% 0.381
MPG 35.8

yer it's close, but the better player with potential is ty

01-07-2012, 03:20 AM
Yeh lowry needs to have a mention, probs over tyreke, because he has been balling

Bulls_fan90
01-07-2012, 03:21 AM
So what's the question. Top 5 PGs still on their rookie contracts?

Rose
Westbrook
Curry
Wall
Reke

Lowry has been in the NBA for 7 years, why mention him?

01-07-2012, 03:23 AM
where is rubio? irving? tyreke is a SG and jennings shouldnt have made it. lawson shouldnt be either. poor list.

rubio
wall
irving
holiday
curry- if healthy

Rubio and Irving have played less than ten games each. Give them time before they solidify themselves as potential stars. I'll admit Rubio has been playing quite well, but he hasn't earned himself the credentials yet to be deemed better than curry, lowry, lawson, wall etc.

tredigs
01-07-2012, 03:27 AM

Rose
Westbrook
Curry
Wall
Reke

6 years - just 25 yrs old and only got a starting job last year. Steve Nash didn't start until a similar age; and unlike Nash, Lowry might be the best defensive point guard in the NBA. Well worth the 'mention' I'd say? Dude's a double double point guard with elite D and ultimate hustle. I look forward to his future.

01-07-2012, 03:27 AM

Rose
Westbrook
Curry
Wall
Reke

The discussion doesn't include players who have made the all star teams, thats why no-one has said rose or westbrook. And yer ur right about lowry, i forgot he'd been in the league that long :o

chitownbears89
01-07-2012, 03:29 AM

Rose
Westbrook
Curry
Wall
Reke

I think D-Rose just got a big fat contract. Where have you been man?

tredigs
01-07-2012, 03:30 AM
Actually looked at his stats page just now - it's Kyle's 5th (not 6th... or 7th) year, considering he only played a few minutes in 10 games after getting the call his rookie year.

XpLiCiTT
01-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Lawson is better than jrue holiday. I know because i'm a denver + philly fan. Ty lawson in my opinion is a lot more efficient, and quicker. And look at the stats.

yer it's close, but the better player with potential is ty

Yeah Lawson is great (much much better than I thought he ever would be in the NBA)...but as far as potential is concerned I'm on Jrue's side. Jrue is 21, Lawson is 24.

Bulls_fan90
01-07-2012, 03:33 AM
6 years - just 25 yrs old and only got a starting job last year. Steve Nash didn't start until a similar age; and unlike Nash, Lowry might be the best defensive point guard in the NBA. Well worth the 'mention' I'd say? Dude's a double double point guard with elite D and ultimate hustle. I look forward to his future.
My bad you're right. 6 years. 3 with Memphis, 3 with Houston. I like him, beast. I didn't realize we were talking about players that haven't made an All-Star team. But yeah he's not on his rookie contract.

The discussion doesn't include players who have made the all star teams, thats why no-one has said rose or westbrook. And yer ur right about lowry, i forgot he'd been in the league that long :o
My bad.

Wall
Reke
Curry
Lawson
Jrue

I think D-Rose just got a big fat contract. Where have you been man?
He's still on his rookie contract. That doesn't kick in until next season.

XpLiCiTT
01-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Actually looked at his stats page just now - it's Kyle's 5th (not 6th... or 7th) year, considering he only played a few minutes in 10 games after getting the call his rookie year.

It says 5 years experience but this is his 6th year in the league...I didn't realize how good he was this year, damn hes been ballin haha

tyfreaks brotha
01-07-2012, 03:36 AM
Wall
Irving
Evans
Curry
Rubio

mdm692
01-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Rubio
John wall
Stephen curry
Kemba walker
Ty lawson

tredigs
01-07-2012, 03:40 AM
It says 5 years experience but this is his 6th year in the league...I didn't realize how good he was this year, damn hes been ballin haha

Lowry's better than his numbers, too. Telling you. Absolute BEAST - supreme defender, intelligent playmaker and a cutthroat finisher. He'll light you up from 38 feet if you give him an inch. It's disgusting, so good.

Been growing into this fashion for a few years too, just never given the full chance, especially playing second fiddle to Aaron Brooks (Brooks was solid, but should've been the 6th man/spark if it was my choice).

GREATNESS ONE
01-07-2012, 03:47 AM
Wall
Rubio
Lawson
Holiday
WestBrook
Irving

Would definitely add Reke but he's a combo guard and more of a SG but definitely a future star.

No order

wjmoffatt
01-07-2012, 03:52 AM
top 5 future

1. Rose
2. Westbrook
3. Kyrie
4. Brandon Knight
5. Marshall

wjmoffatt
01-07-2012, 03:52 AM
^take out Marshall and put in Rubio

astrosmaniac
01-07-2012, 03:57 AM
love the lowry respect, but yea hes on a very nice 3 year, 18 mil contract

THE GIPPER
01-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Wall
Rubio
Lawson
Curry
Jrue

But its simply a guess i could be way off. And i kept lowry off the list because he's a little older and already very good.

XpLiCiTT
01-07-2012, 04:01 AM
top 5 future

1. Rose
2. Westbrook
3. Kyrie
4. Brandon Knight
5. Marshall

We're not tlking about people like rose or Westbrook..were talking about young guys who haven't come close to peaking yet and still have alot of growing to do

I saw knight play live tonight vs Jrue...Knight has lightning speed but Jrue is the better player

VRP723
01-07-2012, 04:05 AM
I think all the Rubio lovers should watch him for a full game or two, I think the guy has a ton of upside, but Kyrie was literally blowing past him today, it should be interesting to see if he can guard the quicker, strong PG's, but today it didn't look like he could.

Cal827
01-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Drue is only 21. Goddamn. Just thought he was a lot older. So he's got a lot of time before reaching his prime.

The_Jamal
01-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Reke
Curry
Lowry
Jrue
Wall

Reke and Curry are the 2 guys who I could realistically see being franchise players in the NBA. While Lowry and Jrue are both quality talents, I don't see how someone builds a team around them

bholly
01-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Yeah, I don't know how Drue isn't there. I've loved what I've seen from the guy. Should be there over the chucker.

Also, Evans is naturally a SG. He needs a scoring PG and he'll be great. Just imagine him and Rose :drool:

Drue is only 21. Goddamn. Just thought he was a lot older. So he's got a lot of time before reaching his prime.

You're just doing that to get a response, right? Well, I guess this is it.

Now stop it, it's weird.

Sportfan
01-07-2012, 09:04 AM

It wouldn't be good, Tyreke can't shoot. Curry with Tyreke would be a good combo.

justinnum1
01-07-2012, 09:21 AM
chuck jennings? lol

SeoulBeatz
01-07-2012, 10:03 AM
wall
curry
reke
holiday
lawson
rubio

edit: i'm still bitter for drafting brandon jennings in my fantasy league last year cause his percentages suck.

iliketurtles24
01-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Rubio
Who cares? No, i just have not seen enough of any other future pgs game to judge, i just know rubio will be special! I might get crap for it, but i dont think westbrook is top 5, he forces it and turns it over way to much.

GoPacers33
01-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Collison

GoPacers33
01-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Rose would be to since he is only played 3 years

Chi City23
01-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Who are the 5 greatest PGs of all time?

Norris Cole
Norris Cole
Norris Cole
Norris Cole
Norris Cole

Because he spits hot fire!

tbone2171
01-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Kyrie Irving and Ricky Rubio say hello!!!

LJEATON26
01-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Rubio, Wall, Augustine, Collison and Holiday. Sleeper pick is Eric Maynor OkC.

Slimsim
01-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Jure
Curry
Tyreeke
rubio
irving

Iman

Swashcuff
01-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Why is anyone putting Tyreke in there as a top PG? I think it's evident by watching him play that he's far from being a PG and though he's good with the ball in his hands his teams aren't really going to go very far with him running the offense. It's no slight to Tyreke in the very least but he's better off being fed than being the one who's being asked to do the feeding. As soon as Sac Town is able to find the right PG he'd be a SG for the rest of his career (even when/if he leaves Sacremento or is traded).

Swashcuff
01-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Jrue Holiday and John Wall are two of only 5 players in league history to average 14 ppg 4 rpg and 6 apg at the age of 20 or younger. The other 3 are Magic Johnson, LeBron James and Chris Paul. Jrue has already shown the poise of a player beyond his years and has the tools to be one of the better defensive PGs in the game (is already top 5-7 in that department). Based on potential, production and age I'd say that Jrue has a strong case to be in the top 5.

Sixerlover
01-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Rose would be to since he is only played 3 years

The list was PG's under 25 who never made an all star team.

I was shocked that he had Brandon Jennings on there, and left off Jrue and his explanation for Jennings was "remember.. his rookie season he dropped 55 points!!". At that point I stopped taking the list seriously.

Sixerlover
01-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Jure
Curry
Tyreeke
rubio
irving

Iman

Shump shump!

BranWingss
01-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Mine would probably be:

Tyreke Evans (if he stays at PG)
Stephen Curry
Jrue Holiday
Kyle Lowry
Ty Lawson

If I picked today, and didn't use these two new rookies (Rubio/Irving)

Young and Stupid
01-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Wait, what? I thought this was common knowledge: Tyreke Evans is not a good basketball player.

Talented, but not effective. Could that change? Sure. But he's given no indication that he's willing to adjust the manner in which he plays.

I don't see any justification for putting him in the top-5.

The_Jamal
01-07-2012, 04:04 PM
People should really watch Tyreke play and just the Kings in general before passing judgement on him. The last game we played (where he put up 26pts 10 boards 5 assists) he hit at least 6 or 7 wide open shooters after he penetrated which our guys of course missed.

DR_1
01-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Rubio
Curry
Wall
Irving
Holliday/Lawson

Dade County
01-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Cole, Rubio, Curry, Lawson, and who ever ...... lol

blastmasta26
01-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Rubio
Curry
Wall
Irving
Holliday/Lawson
Agree with this list, hard to choose between Holliday and Lawson, but Holliday is younger so I'd lean towards him.

Tyreke is definitely a SG or at least combo guard, he's not that fit to be a PG. Jennings is too inefficient, maybe with a more offensively talented supporting cast and a change in his mindset he'd be better. Cole is a sleeper pick. I think he'll be good, but not quite as good as the top 5.

Doogolas
01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't know why Wall is even on the list. He hasn't shown jack **** yet. Except that he can't shoot and loves to give the other team the ball.

blastmasta26
01-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I don't know why Wall is even on the list. He hasn't shown jack **** yet. Except that he can't shoot and loves to give the other team the ball.
He's young, super athletic, has shown passing ability, and is on a horrible team. Give him time.

Cradle_Rock
01-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I wanna see what everyone thinks of this..name your top 5. List should consist of guys still on their rookie contracts that haven't made an all-star game yet.

The discussion was just brought up on ESPN2 (NBA tonight) so I really wanna see some of your lists since there are SO many young guards in the league right now

Jalen Roses top 5 regular was rose, cp3, rondo, westbrook, d-will..then his future top 5 went wall, curry, jennings, tyreke, lawson.

Call me a "homer" but i was kind of mad Jrue Holiday was left out of his list..if you have been watching sixers games this year he is unbelievable and has so much potential..i'd definitely put him ahead of Lawson..but other than that I agree.

maybe i'm just a biased rockets fan, but Lowry has been putting up some crazy numbers, i'd put him over tyreke, since tyreke is a 2 guard. i've been liking jarret jack's game too

ramz.n
01-07-2012, 04:55 PM

would have to agree with wall,curry and lawson but I will add irving, rubio and my darkhorse would be jeff teague..finally starting to get playing time..and is adjusting nicely to his role on the hawks..he will only get better. NOTE I am noting players who are still on there rookie contract who have not made the allstar team.

GiantsSwaGG
01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Iman Shumpert

/thread

topdog
01-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Rubio and Irving have played less than ten games each. Give them time before they solidify themselves as potential stars. I'll admit Rubio has been playing quite well, but he hasn't earned himself the credentials yet to be deemed better than curry, lowry, lawson, wall etc.

I don't see the point of doing this now if we aren't considering Rubio and Irving (2 top 5 picks). These are "future rankings" meaning we really don't know how any of these players will turn out.

They will be 2 of the best imo.

topdog
01-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Cole, Rubio, Curry, Lawson, and who ever ...... lol

I think Cole is in a really good situation and really has a chance to make a big impact with his shooting and agressiveness, but he is not top 5 in current or future rankings.

Btw, my Wolves have to stop helping you guys out in the draft. Seriously!

NYYCowboys
01-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Shump!!

01-07-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't see the point of doing this now if we aren't considering Rubio and Irving (2 top 5 picks). These are "future rankings" meaning we really don't know how any of these players will turn out.

They will be 2 of the best imo.

Well if you think you can judge how good a player will be in 7 games then be my guest :D

alencp3
01-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Wall
Rubio
Reke
Irving
Curry

in that order

topdog
01-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Well if you think you can judge how good a player will be in 7 games then be my guest :D

As much as we can predict guys who are currently having what I would call "nice" production eventually becoming top 5 players at their position.

Jint.
01-07-2012, 06:45 PM
no order:

Curry
Rubio
Wall
Lawson
Irving