PDA

View Full Version : John Wall is one of the Leagues Worst Shooters

Mile High Champ
01-06-2012, 10:14 PM
John Wall is currently shooting an eFG% of .329. That is simply awful and just slightly better than Channing Frye.. Last year he shot .427 which is slighty better than what we have seen from him this year. Is it possible we are seeing a regression with Wall going forward? Perhaps he will not be the player everyone thought he would be one day.

Thoughts?

Sportfan
01-06-2012, 10:18 PM
it's been what 6 games?

John Wall has probably the worst built team in the league. Like there isn't a rotation that fits worse than Washington's. Blatche, Young, Crawford, Shard, all chuckers. No one plays defense other than Singleton, and McGee a little bit (help D sucks) I feel bad for Wall, they need to get rid of everyone other than him McGee Singleton Vesley and maybe young.

He'll be good. He was never a good shooter coming out, but his speed to to the hoop is enough to get him points and he's shown to be a great passer. Seems like he might turn into a Rajon Rondo who can hit FT's without D.

Bullsfan22
01-06-2012, 10:19 PM
I thought for sure he'd be a 17 and 10 type player this year. I don't follow him much but what's his work ethic like? Seems like he should have worked on his jump shot.

Sinattle
01-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Brandon Jennings 2.0

showtym24
01-06-2012, 10:26 PM
I'd take him on my team.

Demon11
01-06-2012, 10:27 PM
still better than that god awful player brandon jennings

More-Than-Most
01-06-2012, 10:30 PM
his shooting really does look god awful

Its early though and I didn't watch him much last year

spreadeagle
01-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I made a thread like this before the season and people said he would be fine...:cool: hate to say I told ya so,He needs to get out of there,he may walk after his rookie deal

John Walls Era
01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
He plays for a 0-6 team.

His form is actually pretty good.

Put him on the Twolves and he'd be avg 10 assists easily and not getting focused on by Ds as much.

SportsAndrew25
01-06-2012, 10:35 PM
He went 10-22 tonight and looked somewhat good.

NYKnickFanatic
01-06-2012, 10:43 PM
He plays for a 0-6 team.

His form is actually pretty good.

Put him on the Twolves and he'd be avg 10 assists easily and not getting focused on by Ds as much.

OP is talking about his shooting...

meloman1592
01-06-2012, 10:49 PM
His speed is UNMATCHED! Yes, he's faster than Rose,Westbrook,Lebron..whoever you wanna throw out there, Wall is faster. He had a bad (jump)shooting night tonight and he really isn't a good shooter but he shoots it better than Rondo. If Rondo can do it, Wall can too. He just needs a better team

BranWingss
01-06-2012, 10:54 PM
6 games
No training camp
2 pre-season games

thread/

Sixerlover
01-06-2012, 10:57 PM
I feel we can still use the "he's still young" excuse in Wall's case about his shooting. If he continues to shoot this poorly next season, he's in Brandon Jennings territory.

The_Jamal
01-06-2012, 11:04 PM
He'll experience the sophomore slump for sure. Just like with Tyreke last year and Rose 2 years ago, defenses now have film on him and know how to stop him. Until he learns to shoot, he's not going to progress much further than he is now

GoPacers33
01-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Danny Granger is still last in the league

theheatles
01-06-2012, 11:31 PM
he has an ugly and sloppy looking shot too

babyang04
01-06-2012, 11:39 PM
john wall is a nut. Hes the fastest player i seen in a long time. He does get a little crazy thought when he hits layups. Starts cursing and doing all types of body movements. So happy melo shouldered him after he was doing it.

Iodine
01-06-2012, 11:43 PM
He shot 10-22 tonight with 3 shots being desperate end of quarter/game shots

So can we cue the small sample size music?

Bullsfan22
01-06-2012, 11:43 PM
People that's defending him is not talking about his shooting. Sounds like a lot of excuses being made.

Avenged
01-06-2012, 11:44 PM
John Wall is currently shooting an eFG% of .329. That is simply awful and just slightly better than Channing Frye.. Last year he shot .427 which is slighty better than what we have seen from him this year. Is it possible we are seeing a regression with Wall going forward? Perhaps he will not be the player everyone thought he would be one day.

Thoughts?

Do you still think he's top 10 at his position?

More-Than-Most
01-06-2012, 11:52 PM

Probably but its only because of how top heavy the league is with point guards.

gaughan333
01-07-2012, 12:35 AM
His shot selection at the end of that game seemed rather poor to me. He's young though

JNA17
01-07-2012, 12:36 AM
I have never seen a guy so fast on the court.

Yes, he has shooting problems big time and hopefully he will work on it, because if he does, he will make Rose look like a complete joke.

Wall is so fast that when the knicks scored a bucket, I started to pick up my potato chip from the bag, got the chip in my hand, and before I started to eat it, Wall already went to the knicks side and scored a layup. He's still incredible and has amazing potential, give him time.

Mr_Amaziing
01-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Its only his 2nd season.. He'll be ight

I would love if Okc got him

Wall and 1st rounder for Westbrook

xxplayerxx23
01-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Bibby was shooting 17 percent coming into today

gaughan333
01-07-2012, 01:43 AM

Yes, he has shooting problems big time and hopefully he will work on it, because if he does, he will make Rose look like a complete joke.

Wall is so fast that when the knicks scored a bucket, I started to pick up my potato chip from the bag, got the chip in my hand, and before I started to eat it, Wall already went to the knicks side and scored a layup. He's still incredible and has amazing potential, give him time.

Ha

beerman28
01-07-2012, 02:01 AM

Woa woa easy there guy.. Lets not compare him with rose.. D rose is on another planet compared to john wall.. wall isnt even a top ten pg he was totally overhyped all you just proved is that you have no idea what ur talking about and it takes u forever to lift a chip to ur fat face..

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2012, 02:06 AM
He's more of a slasher anyways.

Shammyguy3
01-07-2012, 02:12 AM

:laugh:

That's a god-awful trade for the Thunder

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2012, 02:16 AM
That's a god-awful trade for the Thunder

Are you crazy?

That pick will be a lottery and they get a PG who should be better than Westbrook.

Durant wouldn't have to worry about Wall hogging the ball and Wall is one of the best passers in the league.

Cubs Win
01-07-2012, 02:28 AM

This has to be a joke. :laugh:

Shammyguy3
01-07-2012, 02:31 AM
Westbrook is arguably a top-5 PG. John Wall isn't even top-15. I'm sorry. That's an awful trade.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Westbrook is arguably a top-5 PG. John Wall isn't even top-15. I'm sorry. That's an awful trade.

Name me 15 PG's better.

b@llhog24
01-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Name me 15 PG's better.

Cp3
Rose
D-will
Rondo
Nash
Westbrooke
Lowry
Parker
Lawson
Curry

Everyone after that is debateble IMO.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2012, 03:14 AM
Cp3
Rose
D-will
Rondo
Nash
Westbrooke
Lowry
Parker
Lawson
Curry

1. That's only 9.
2. Lowry is not better than Wall. You people need to stop jumping on so much people for like 1 season's worth of performance. Last year was Dorrell Wright. Look at him now. Before that was Aaron Brooks. And he sucked the year after.
3. Wall is younger than most, if not all, in that list. He'd have improved quite dramatically when he gets to like his 4th year or so. By then, he should be way better than Westbrook. Not to mention the pick in that trade suggested earlier in the thread would be a lottery pick. Meaning that the deal for the Thunder wasn't bad after all.

ChiTownPacerFan
01-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Granger is now shooting 30% from the field. Now I understand why people over in that other thread called him the quietest scorer in the league. :sigh:

sargon21
01-07-2012, 06:28 AM
He'll experience the sophomore slump for sure. Just like with Tyreke last year and Rose 2 years ago, defenses now have film on him and know how to stop him. Until he learns to shoot, he's not going to progress much further than he is now

Except Rose didnt have a sophomore slump...

alencp3
01-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Ummm he is actually a pretty good defender. Do you guys even watch the games, or just open the boxscores?
Yeah thats what i thought

alencp3
01-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Cp3
Rose
D-will
Rondo
Nash
Westbrooke
Lowry
Parker
Lawson
Curry

Thats it

NYKalltheway
01-07-2012, 08:10 AM
the topic is about a player's shooting skills, not his overall quality..

Sportfan
01-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Westbrook isn't top 5.

Westbrook leaves next year, so obviously they're not going to get the best value for him.

Regardless, Washington wouldn't do straight up Wall for Westbrook. Their whole team is selfish me first players, and now you wanna add Westbrook to that and replace their only passer? lol The guy wanted a first round pick as well, the #1 pick atm :laugh:

Wall isn't top 10 right now for sure, but he's got the POTENTIAL to become top 10, top 5 probably. The shooting will come, but you already know he's a great passer. Here's how I'd list the PG's
Rose
Paul

Rondo
D-Will
Nash
Westbrook

Curry
Lowry
Lawson
Parker

Wall is right on the bubble, probably 12th after Jrue. He has the most upside out of everyone after tier 1.

And how can he be BJ territory if Wall plays better D and is a better passer?

Azzacadabra
01-07-2012, 09:33 AM
To be honest I think he needs to slow down if that's even possible he seems to be like an unguided rocket.

abe_froman
01-07-2012, 09:43 AM
yeah,he hasnt lived up to the hype he had coming in obviously...but there's still time yet

time4change
01-07-2012, 10:00 AM
still better than that god awful player brandon jennings

Why bcause he doesn't have a picture perfect J like Kobe?

Lol get over yourself. Pretty sure he wouldn't be in the NBA if he was awful.

If the kid had some decent players around him, kinda like Johnny Wall, you realize how good he is. More or less if you even watched a Bucks game you'd know he's a sensational player, just lacks a few fundamentals. Oh by the way Jennings is still like 21 or 22 so he has some time. Just needs better coaching E.G. not Jim Boylan as an assistant coach...

time4change
01-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Cp3
Rose
D-will
Rondo
Nash
Westbrooke
Lowry
Parker
Lawson
Curry

What are you snorting that could possibly make you honestly believe that Kyle Lowry and Ty Lawson and Stewph Curry are better PG's lol, then John Wall. You see I couldn't even type it without laughing thats so ridiculous.

Corey
01-07-2012, 10:19 AM
What are you snorting that could possibly make you honestly believe that Kyle Lowry and Ty Lawson and Stewph Curry are better PG's lol, then John Wall. You see I couldn't even type it without laughing thats so ridiculous.

Maybe he's looking at statistics...You know...Those things that back up opinions an assertions with fact.

Wall has been horrendous so far this year. He has a negative WS/49 and terrible percentages. Lawson and Lowry are definitely outplaying him right now. Curry has been injured, but his small sample size has been excellent as well.

GiantsSwaGG
01-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Brandon Jennings > John Wall

/thread

masTOR_shake1
01-07-2012, 10:38 AM
he dances too much.

GiantsSwaGG
01-07-2012, 10:51 AM
His dougie is better than his shooting

Chi City23
01-07-2012, 10:56 AM
:laugh2:

Nycbball08
01-07-2012, 11:12 AM
So was Lebron's shooting when he first came into the league,

sunsfan88
01-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Lol Channing Frye....

GiantsSwaGG
01-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Lol Channing Frye....

Who?

effen5
01-07-2012, 12:08 PM

I would take Curry over Wall 10 times out of 10.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Brandon Jennings > John Wall

/thread

:facepalm:

Mile High Champ
01-07-2012, 12:41 PM

No I don't. I think he is regressing and this kind of awful shooting is a concern for me. Currently I have these guys ahead of Wall. Keep in mind that I am not saying Wall will not be better than some of these guys in time, just that he is not playing better than the following at the moment.

Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Deron Williams
Russell Westbrook
Kyle Lowry
Ty Lawson
Rajon Rondo
Steve Nash
Stephen Curry
Jrue Holiday
Tony Parker
Jose Calderon

Sixerlover
01-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I would take Curry over Wall 10 times out of 10.

Without factoring in injuries (because Steph is as frail as they get), I definitely would agree with this.

Mile High Champ
01-07-2012, 12:43 PM
How are some people calling Wall a better PG than Lowry. That is simply insane after what we have watched so far this season.

Sportfan
01-07-2012, 12:44 PM
No I don't. I think he is regressing and this kind of awful shooting is a concern for me. Currently I have these guys ahead of Wall. Keep in mind that I am not saying Wall will not be better than some of these guys in time, just that he is not playing better than the following at the moment.

Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Deron Williams
Russell Westbrook
Kyle Lowry
Ty Lawson
Rajon Rondo
Steve Nash
Stephen Curry
Jrue Holiday
Tony Parker
Jose Calderon
Is your list in order?

Mile High Champ
01-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Is your list in order?

nope, just put it up based on guys I think are playing better than Wall.

jp611
01-07-2012, 12:47 PM
But I thought that John Wall's floor was Derrick Rose's ceiling :confused:

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2012, 12:50 PM
nope, just put it up based on guys I think are playing better than Wall.

Talent wise though, Wall definitely beats some of those guys on that list.

It's not like he'll shoot like this the rest of his career. Most people here know that Wall was better off as a player who cuts to the basket. It would be crazy to expect him to shoot good when his game is to be near the basket.

If this was like Ray Allen shooting horrible, then there should be some talk.

It's 8 games so far. Let's give it some time.

Mile High Champ
01-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Talent wise though, Wall definitely beats some of those guys on that list.

It's not like he'll shoot like this the rest of his career. Most people here know that Wall was better off as a player who cuts to the basket. It would be crazy to expect him to shoot good when his game is to be near the basket.

If this was like Ray Allen shooting horrible, then there should be some talk.

It's 8 games so far. Let's give it some time.

Not debating talent level. Talent means nothing without the work ethic and the ability to execute. I am not saying that Wall will not be a top 10 PG one day, just that he is nowhere near that at this point of his career. The concern that Wall is a bad shooter is a legitimate one.

Your right it has been 8 games but it is still a decent sample size. Couple that with his performance last year and we can start to see a trend with Wall's shooting ability.

PhillyBoomerang
01-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Wall will only get better if they get some better players in there and a new coach. John Wall needs that playmaker other then him to be better.. Wizards might want to hope to Land the Top pick or big Free Agent in '12-'14 cause they are one of if not the worse team in the NBA in 2012 imo I would try to build around Wall and McGee.. They have too many players who shoot wild crazy shots. more disciplined and defense would help the Wizards. Wall will have his sophomore slump with a bad team.. but I think the future is very bright as long as he can bring in another Star player..

Fnom11
01-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Wall's team is seriously a joke. I don't think he'll be as good as Rose but he's definitely better than what his stats are suggesting.

Sportfan
01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
How are some people calling Wall a better PG than Lowry. That is simply insane after what we have watched so far this season.

Then by this argument, Deron Williams isn't a top 10 point guard? Lowry nees to keep this performance up before we crown him a top 7-8 pg

Mile High Champ
01-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Then by this argument, Deron Williams isn't a top 10 point guard? Lowry nees to keep this performance up before we crown him a top 7-8 pg

Agreed but has has been much more impressive than John Wall.

Fnom11
01-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Agreed but has has been much more impressive than John Wall.

It's amazing how much better a PG can look when he has a capable team.

THE GIPPER
01-07-2012, 01:27 PM
If Wall figures it all out he'll be the best pg in the NBA and theres no doubt in my mind. He can get anywhere on the court whenever he wants and has vision you cant teach. Not to mention he's big (6'4 with a huge wingspan). And that size combined with his speed is unheard of.

THE GIPPER
01-07-2012, 01:29 PM

That would be a great trade for okc. maybe even too good they would have to swap 1sts or something.

GIANTKNICK
01-07-2012, 01:50 PM
6 games
No training camp
2 pre-season games

thread/

I Agree! He's not the only player thats got off too a slow start. It's like the preseason just came to an end in all reality.

thekmp211
01-07-2012, 02:02 PM
i thought he was going to explode out the gates, but he has looked pretty bad. still, not only is he probably on the worst team in the league, he is the only guy on the floor looking to set other people up. no one else on his team has any interest in doing anything to make wall's life easier to score. they really don't do anything except for try to score themselves. it must be frustrating. flip probably has to go.

b@llhog24
01-07-2012, 03:43 PM
1. That's only 9.
2. Lowry is not better than Wall. You people need to stop jumping on so much people for like 1 season's worth of performance. Last year was Dorrell Wright. Look at him now. Before that was Aaron Brooks. And he sucked the year after.
3. Wall is younger than most, if not all, in that list. He'd have improved quite dramatically when he gets to like his 4th year or so. By then, he should be way better than Westbrook. Not to mention the pick in that trade suggested earlier in the thread would be a lottery pick. Meaning that the deal for the Thunder wasn't bad after all.

1) I was agreeing that there aren't 15
2) I think that post asg and this year is a large enough sample size but I won't be mad at you for picking Wall.
3) I think dude could be the best PG in the league if he ever gets there I'm not so sure.

jp611
01-07-2012, 04:50 PM
This is John Walls Era, we're just living in it

Nick O
01-07-2012, 04:53 PM
that will change. Jimmer is struggling with his shot right now but we all know he can shoot.. these guys will pick up.. Wall is a good player

THE GIPPER
01-16-2012, 05:47 PM
John Wall had a big game today against a great defensive pg in Lowry. Hopefully his strong play continues.

2-ONE-5
01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Sophomore slump. no veteran PG to help him through the struggles.

John Walls Era
01-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Tank Nation Baby.

John Walls Era
01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
This is John Walls Era, we're just living in it

Hmmm I feel this is a shot, but I can't really do anything to whiny trolls on the internet.

Shareeb_omac2
01-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Anyone see the game he played today?

yanksrock
01-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Kid is young as is the season. He's having a rough start that's for sure, but only time will tell. I'm not writing him off just yet.

MackShock
01-16-2012, 07:22 PM
in one of my leagues this guy is my only point guard..way too inconsistent and turns the ball over way too much

bovice163
01-16-2012, 07:28 PM
I traded Wall and Afflalo for Rubio and Harden right when the season started, and everyone was laughing and telling me how I got raped. And now that I'm 1st in all 4 of my leagues with these people, who is laughing now?

Hustlenomics
01-17-2012, 02:30 AM
oh yea garbage john wall had 38 points, 6 rebounds and 8 assists tonight

Raph12
01-17-2012, 03:11 AM
This doesn't immediately mean he's awesome again, but like I said; give it time, you don't write someone off or decide who is an AS just 10-15 games in (actually this season you do lol, as voting has already begun).