PDA

View Full Version : Does a shorter season = too many injuries?

mzgrizz
01-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Since 1/2/12....in only 4 days , the list of injuries includes
Chuck Hayes;Corey Maggette;Eric Gordon;Jason Kidd;Stephon Curry;Zach Randolph(extent of injury known then);Rip Hamilton;Kris Humphries;Manu Ginobili;Jermaine O'Neal;and A'mare Stoudamire. These were the newsworthy injuries .......wonder how many more are out there?
Could there be a connection between the compressed season and getting hurt more easily?
Any thoughts?

Evolution23
01-06-2012, 07:28 PM
most of those injuries are freak injuries. But towards the end of the season we will see more injured players.

LakeShowRaider
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
The only connection is these guys partied too much during the lockout and didn't keep their ***** in shape. They play basketball for a LIVING. I think they should be able to play 7 games in 11 nights without getting hurt, freak injuries aside.

Hawkeye15
01-06-2012, 07:45 PM
as Evolution said, there are some freak injuries going on, but sure its a problem. Take my Wolves. Pekovic has a pulled groin and Barea has been dealing with an iffy hamstring so far. Obviously victims of the lockout and shortened training camp. But I think the injuries will come later in the season, when the schedule is just too much for some, especially those whose coach's don't properly manage minutes.

Deng is playing 40 mpg for example. That can NOT continue without him having issues later.

Nick O
01-06-2012, 07:45 PM
the guys who are getting injured i imagine alot of them werent keeping in shape over the break

Hawkeye15
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
The only connection is these guys partied too much during the lockout and didn't keep their ***** in shape. They play basketball for a LIVING. I think they should be able to play 7 games in 11 nights without getting hurt, freak injuries aside.

you are totally underestimating how demanding NBA basketball is on the human body. These are very tall men. That means more pressure on joints, ligaments, more weight on their feet and knees, etc. Trust me, even the fattest guy in the NBA would go longer than the best in shape guy at the gym you know. Its not that they haven't kept in shape, its the fact that nobody can get away with playing basically every other day, logging starters minutes, in the NBA, and not have some damage later in the season.

GrumpyOldMan
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Deep teams are going to have an advantage because they wont have to play their key players as many minutes as other teams. Injuries will be a larger factor this season than in other seasons.

Cubs Win
01-06-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm confused how the season being shorter is being blamed for injuries? I certainly think the shortened training camp could be part of the problem. Players that didn't stay in (or close to) NBA shape during the lockout are certainly at a higher risk right now though.

bovice163
01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
No, but the injury is more detrimental to a teams success since they play more games in less days.

GrumpyOldMan
01-06-2012, 07:54 PM
I believe I read where every team has at least one run of 3 games in 3 days and a couple of 3 in 4. I'm not 100% sure about that, but the schedule will create injury concerns. Coaching is going to be very important as they will have to manage players' minutes very carefully.

Hawkeye15
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm confused how the season being shorter is being blamed for injuries? I certainly think the shortened training camp could be part of the problem. Players that didn't stay in (or close to) NBA shape during the lockout are certainly at a higher risk right now though.

I was telling my gf this a while ago.

ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO STAY IN NBA GAME SHAPE ON YOUR OWN.

There is no possible way to replicate the competitive play of the NBA games, no matter how hard you try. The shortened training camp is starting to take victims with knick knack injuries. The ZBo injury for example, was just a freak injury.

Cubs Win
01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I was telling my gf this a while ago.

ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO STAY IN NBA GAME SHAPE ON YOUR OWN.

There is no possible way to replicate the competitive play of the NBA games, no matter how hard you try. The shortened training camp is starting to take victims with knick knack injuries. The ZBo injury for example, was just a freak injury.

I agree, that's why I added or close to. Meaning the players that at least worked on conditioning during the offseason are better off. But wouldn't that mean the shorter training camp is to blame as opposed to the shorter season?

Hawkeye15
01-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I agree, that's why I added or close to. Meaning the players that at least worked on conditioning during the offseason are better off. But wouldn't that mean the shorter training camp is to blame as opposed to the shorter season?

its to blame for injuries like JJ Barea, but the shortened schedule will end up hurting players who are not seeing some sort of reduction in minutes. Deng was a perfect example. The Bulls have got to find a way to lessen his minutes.

TRF929
01-06-2012, 08:05 PM
I would say yes, having so many games in a short span leaves no room for rest on joints. Constant strain on joints with the way they move/slash/jump/cut with little to no rest, is going to hurt you eventually. Given the fact some didn't stay in BASKETBALL shape doesn't help the issue as well. Curry for example, had surgery on his ankle and rested it during the lockout, but then all of a sudden he had to play daily with little rest putting constant strain on it. THe way he moves and cuts, it was only a matter of time. Hamstrings are the same way, along with other injuries

Cubs Win
01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
its to blame for injuries like JJ Barea, but the shortened schedule will end up hurting players who are not seeing some sort of reduction in minutes. Deng was a perfect example. The Bulls have got to find a way to lessen his minutes.

Why would it injure Deng just to play that many minutes? He played 39.1 mpg and started all 82 regular season games last year. He's currently at 39.4 mpg. Who's to say he couldn't handle that for 66 games?

With that said, as a Bulls fan, I'd love to see Deng at around 35 mpg just to keep him more fresh for the playoffs.

But I still don't totally understand where you're coming from. To me, it seems like you're saying, "Even though he played (around) that many mpg last season, playing that much this season, albeit in 16 less regular season games, will make him more likely to be injured."

Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree?

Hawkeye15
01-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Why would it injure Deng just to play that many minutes? He played 39.1 mpg and started all 82 regular season games last year. He's currently at 39.4 mpg. Who's to say he couldn't handle that for 66 games?

With that said, as a Bulls fan, I'd love to see Deng at around 35 mpg just to keep him more fresh for the playoffs.

But I still don't totally understand where you're coming from. To me, it seems like you're saying, "Even though he played (around) that many mpg last season, playing that much this season, albeit in 16 less regular season games, will make him more likely to be injured."

Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree?

You have to stop comparing an 82 game season starting Oct. 27 with a 66 game season starting Dec. 25. In a typical 82 game season, you get 13 games a month roughly. In this shortened season, you get roughy 16 games per month. While that doesn't seem like much, teams now have more back to backs, the crazy back to back to back at least once, and will NEVER get those 3-4 day rest periods like you do a handful of times during an 82 game season.

Players who are over the 36-37 mpg barrier are going to wear out later. Its just a fact. Happened in 1999, it will happen this year.

Its not about the # of games. Its about the limited rest players will get in between games.

Cubs Win
01-06-2012, 08:35 PM
You have to stop comparing an 82 game season starting Oct. 27 with a 66 game season starting Dec. 25. In a typical 82 game season, you get 13 games a month roughly. In this shortened season, you get roughy 16 games per month. While that doesn't seem like much, teams now have more back to backs, the crazy back to back to back at least once, and will NEVER get those 3-4 day rest periods like you do a handful of times during an 82 game season.

Players who are over the 36-37 mpg barrier are going to wear out later. Its just a fact. Happened in 1999, it will happen this year.

Its not about the # of games. Its about the limited rest players will get in between games.

OK, I see where you're coming from now. I suppose it could have that effect this year then too. Personally, I still feel the shortened training camp will be responsible for more injuries than the shortened schedule.

Thinking about it, we'll probably see the highest amount of injuries towards the beginning of the year and again in the last few weeks of the season, with less injuries in the middle. With the training camp injuries being the main cause in the early season and the fatigue injuries coming late.

Hawkeye15
01-06-2012, 08:38 PM
OK, I see where you're coming from now. I suppose it could have that effect this year then too. Personally, I still feel the shortened training camp will be responsible for more injuries than the shortened schedule.

Thinking about it, we'll probably see the highest amount of injuries towards the beginning of the year and again in the last few weeks of the season, with less injuries in the middle. With the training camp injuries being the main cause in the early season and the fatigue injuries coming late.

well, the shortened training camp will certainly claim its victims. It has already.

And you said it perfect. Nagging early injuries? Thanks training camp. Tired legs and less production late? Thank you having to play 4 games a week for 4 months.

Hellcrooner
01-06-2012, 08:46 PM
The problem is definetly so many back to backs or even back to back to backs.

I will say this tough i think that sesons should be ALL of 66 games, but of course starting in november giving in fact more time between games .
IN that scenario the thing would be inversed and there would be LESS injurys-

Hawkeye15
01-06-2012, 08:49 PM
The problem is definetly so many back to backs or even back to back to backs.

I will say this tough i think that sesons should be ALL of 66 games, but of course starting in november giving in fact more time between games .
IN that scenario the thing would be inversed and there would be LESS injurys-

if only you had a flux capacitor....

Hellcrooner
01-06-2012, 08:52 PM
if only you had a flux capacitor....

:D

Know what? i almost bought a delorian a while back, it was only around 4000 dollars making the conversion rate.

But man does that ***** need to refill gas too often, no one can sustain that.

Hawkeye15
01-06-2012, 08:55 PM
:D

Know what? i almost bought a delorian a while back, it was only around 4000 dollars making the conversion rate.

But man does that ***** need to refill gas too often, no one can sustain that.

well, its not as bad as a Fiero, but yeah man, no point.

"Its the power of love!"