PDA

View Full Version : 5 NBA Rookies Who Show Star Potential

Desiretowin
01-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Early on in the NBA season, there are 5 rookies that have shown me star potential early on. Let's take a look.....

Marshon Brooks- Brooks has been one of the lone bright spots on a struggling Nets team.

He had a reputation at Providence of being a guy that could fill it up and has got off to a good start in New Jersey, averaging 13.7 points per game in just a little over 20 minutes of game action per night.

Brooks is a natural scorer and could be in for some big things.

Kyrie Irving- The No. 1 overall pick in the draft, Irving is showing signs of promise and the ability to run the Cavs offense.

He's averaging nearly 15 points and 6 assists per night and seems to get a little better every night out. Most importantly, he's doing a good job taking care of the basketball.

Cleveland just may have landed their point guard of the future.

Markieff Morris- Morris doesn't play like a rookie and could eventually replace Channing Frye as the starter in Phoenix.

He's off to a very good start coming off the bench, averaging 9.4 points and 5.4 boards per game.

He's being given about 20 minutes per night, but expect that and all of his numbers to skyrocket.

Derrick Williams- Williams was the No. 2 pick in last year's draft and is stuck in a crowded Minnesota frontcourt, but has shown the signs that he's going to be very good.

He's only averaging nearly eight points and five boards at the moment, but expect his minutes and touches to increase very soon

Norris Cole- Cole may turn out to be the steal of the rookie class and the Miami Heat have their point guard of the future.

He's already played a role in their successful start to the season and has come off the bench to average 11.7 points per game so far.

Cole is definitely one worth keeping an eye on.

Hellcrooner
01-05-2012, 10:23 PM
:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whis tle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

R.R

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whis tle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Desiretowin
01-05-2012, 10:24 PM

R.R

The fact that you read my post is good enough for me.

phoenix_bladen
01-05-2012, 10:25 PM
U forgot iman shumpert

Desiretowin
01-05-2012, 10:27 PM
U forgot iman shumpert

True, but he has missed a couple weeks since their first game of the year against the Celtics. Can't show me much when you're hurt.

MountainDew
01-05-2012, 10:29 PM
I literally think none of them will be "stars"

aussie
01-05-2012, 10:33 PM
norris cole

poleandreel
01-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Tristian Thompson has looked better than all of them in limited minutes. He is near the league lead in blocks and could be up there in rebounds if given the minutes.

ManRam
01-05-2012, 10:42 PM

Agreed. Unless you have a really loose definition of "star", the only guy that I think can be a star is Kyrie. The rest of these guys aren't going to be "stars" IMO...and haven't shown anything to suggest that. There are a lot of good player and a lot of players who will have long and successful careers, but I don't see a ton of stars...

Rubio included, Crooner ;) He'll be a very good player, but I don't think he'll ever be a top 3-4 PG...

KnicksR4Real
01-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Shumpert. Even though he only played two games. He dropped 18 off the bench with an injured knee, plays tremendous defense, and makes quick decisions. Not to mention he leads all rookies in scoring.

MountainDew
01-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Agreed. Unless you have a really loose definition of "star", the only guy that I think can be a star is Kyrie. The rest of these guys aren't going to be "stars" IMO...and haven't shown anything to suggest that. There are a lot of good player and a lot of players who will have long and successful careers, but I don't see a ton of stars...

Rubio included, Crooner ;) He'll be a very good player, but I don't think he'll ever be a top 3-4 PG...

I beg to differ .. I think Rubio can be a top 5 PG within 5 years or so, there are so few PG's that can come in to the league and efficiently pass/score the ball. His vision has been remarkable, he just knows when to pass the ball and to who, something you really can't teach IMO its just a gift you have. I hope he continues to adjust to the NBA style and improve. LOVE pass first PG's and the Twolves certainly deserve to be great after the recent miserable years

kingkenny01
01-05-2012, 10:47 PM

agreed

GodsSon
01-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Valanciunas.

Remember the name.

jmoney85
01-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Shumpert. Even though he only played two games. He dropped 18 off the bench with an injured knee, plays tremendous defense, and makes quick decisions. Not to mention he leads all rookies in scoring.

lol @ this

hes played 2 games and you really are gonna say hes leading all rookies in scoring? lmao @ that

hes shooting 39 percent

Greet
01-05-2012, 10:57 PM

It depends on what you're definition of a star is. Marshon might already be one of the most talented scorers in the league, and he's got plenty of time to refine his other aspects of his game. He has star potential at least. I think Kyrie is going to be a stud and him and Thompson are going to be a dominant force in a couple years.

Jint.
01-05-2012, 10:58 PM
add Shumpert, is Rubio considered a rookie..?

blastmasta26
01-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Kyrie might have "star potential" but I don't see any of these rookies being stars. Could be very good players, but not quite stars. Rubio might have that star potential as well.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
well, Rubio is turning me into an irrational homer obviously, because I think he has star potential. I think Irving has it as well. Brooks may be a very good SG as well.

NYMetros
01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Irving is going to be a star IMO, I love his game. I like him more than John Wall, to be honest.

Rubio is great as well. I'll enjoy watching his career.

VRP723
01-05-2012, 11:05 PM
No Ivan Johnson? :confused:

meloman1592
01-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Marshon Brooks reminds me a lot of Nick Young...he could be something. Also Kyrie,Rubio and Shumpert have star potential.

Hellcrooner
01-05-2012, 11:06 PM
add Shumpert, is Rubio considered a rookie..?

:confused: what do you mean?

Its his first year on the league so, its a rookie.

AnalyzeNShoot
01-05-2012, 11:10 PM
kenneth faried from the nuggets will forsure become a 20 10 2bpg guy at some point.
In Limited minutes he show very good skills hustle defender and can play good ball.

Reminds me of paul millsap

jayjay16
01-05-2012, 11:12 PM
1. Kyrie Irving

2. Iman Shumpert

3. Ricky Rubio

4. Marshon Brooks

5. Tristan Thompson

SeoulBeatz
01-05-2012, 11:17 PM
I've seen a billion Norris Cole's before, he will be a very good role player in the future, but I just don't see the star potential.

Same can be said for Marshon Brooks IMO.

The only potential stars in this draft are Kyrie, Derrick Williams, and Brandon Knight.

and Iman Shumpert will end up being better than Cole and Brooks, but he's not a star either.

NBA_Starter
01-05-2012, 11:18 PM
I'd add Kemba to the list.

Greet
01-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I've seen a billion Norris Cole's before, he will be a very good role player in the future, but I just don't see the star potential.

Same can be said for Marshon Brooks IMO.

The only potential stars in this draft are Kyrie, Derrick Williams, and Brandon Knight.

and Iman Shumpert will end up being better than Cole and Brooks, but he's not a star either.

How have you seen a "billion" Marshon Brooks? No one out of the draft has shown the natural scoring he has.

KnicksR4Real
01-05-2012, 11:32 PM
lol @ this

hes played 2 games and you really are gonna say hes leading all rookies in scoring? lmao @ that

hes shooting 39 percent

He is look at the stats. He does this on a team where he isn't the first or second option. Irving starts and has the green light, and Marshon Brooks is the Nets only scorer right now due to injuries (and starts). So ya why you laughing?:facepalm:

KnicksR4Real
01-05-2012, 11:34 PM
How have you seen a "billion" Marshon Brooks? No one out of the draft has shown the natural scoring he has.

Ummmm Nick Young? Umm every other scorer in the history of the NBA. Lots of scorers have been drafted in NBA history.

CarniifeX
01-05-2012, 11:49 PM
My top 5

1. MarShon Brooks NJ (Not a homer pick, leads all rookies in player efficiency rating)

2. Kyrie Irving CLE

3. Markieff Morris PHX

4. Iman Shumpert NYK

5. Ricky Rubio MIN

ryguy2k7
01-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Not having Rubio on there is a JOKE

SeoulBeatz
01-06-2012, 12:04 AM

Don't get mad, but yes, I've seen Willie Green light it up his rookie year dropping 30 whenever A.I was out. Nick Young, O.J Mayo, Jamal Crawford. There are a lot of similar players out there already. None of those guys are stars because they contribute nothing but scoring.

I love Lou Will (check the sig), but he will never be a star. He is an extremely good scorer, but he's pretty mediocre at everything else.

I've watched 3 nets games so far (i live in NY) and Brooks can obviously drain buckets, but that's it. He does nothing else that impresses me or makes a significant impact on the game.

He has the potential to be one of the best scorers in this league, but he doesn't have the skillset to be astar. There's a lot more too it than scoring

HOZ THE KNICK
01-06-2012, 12:23 AM
shump baby!

jmoney85
01-06-2012, 12:31 AM
He is look at the stats. He does this on a team where he isn't the first or second option. Irving starts and has the green light, and Marshon Brooks is the Nets only scorer right now due to injuries (and starts). So ya why you laughing?:facepalm:

so what does not being the 1st or 2nd option have to do with shooting 39 percent?.... and when shumpert is on the floor with melo and amare on the bench he is the 1st option.... and brooks started 1 game

jmoney85
01-06-2012, 12:33 AM
lol @ every knick fan saying shumpert.... hes played 2 games.. hes nowhere near top rookie right now

PurpleJesus
01-06-2012, 12:44 AM
forgot Rubio...he's got the flare and the ability. Kid is a star.

BKLYNpigeon
01-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Ricky Rubio is a Rookie.

Slimsim
01-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Rubio
Brooks
Irving
Cole
Iman
Williams

Haven't seen any other but those are my top 6 in that order

spreadeagle
01-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Knicks fans have the biggest hard on for Iman shumpawhatshisname its getting to be Bulls Rose bad..hes good but be easy yall booed him on draft night remember

FriedTofuz
01-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Valanciunas.

Remember the name.

He hasnt even played one NBA game. Valanciunas is playing very well in europe but his game has to translate to the NBA to be judged. If you already mention his name before he even prove his game in the NBA people will just ge mad at you for even stating valanciunas name and raptor fans will look as bad as bulls fans.

Geargo Wallace
01-06-2012, 01:03 AM
What an awful opinion.

topdog
01-06-2012, 01:09 AM

Coming in, I thought Rubio would be a very good player but not a "star." However, if he keeps up his shooting and keeps showing up in the 4th, I think he can be top 3-4.

Slimsim
01-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Knicks fans have the biggest hard on for Iman shumpawhatshisname its getting to be Bulls Rose bad..hes good but be easy yall booed him on draft night remember

We booed Everyone that's how it goes.

spreadeagle
01-06-2012, 01:34 AM

LOL good point :D

BallIsAll
01-06-2012, 02:05 AM
This thread is a jOke. The only player that's a rookie that's actually different and good is Rubio none of these other Players will account to anything more than solid starters/role players in their careers

bovice163
01-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Rubio will be far superior to all of those players in the long run. I really like Shumpert as well.

Hawkeye15
01-06-2012, 02:11 AM

haha so true

Kashmir13579
01-06-2012, 02:38 AM

Don't sleep on Marshon Brooks. That kid put up points in college and is a freakish athlete. He has all the tools.

jmoney85
01-06-2012, 02:45 AM
I dont get why everybody is on the rubio bandwagon... he wont be a top 5 pg in this league at all through his career... kyrie irving will be a top 5 pg... and marshon brooks will be a top 5 sg... the rest of the players are hit and miss

lkingratedr
01-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Marshon brooks is the second best player on the nets ... That's not saying much ... I say add shumpert kemba walker and faried

jerz89
01-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Marshon Brooks WILL BE THE BEST PLAYER OUT THIS DRAFT CLASS!!!!!!!!!!!! book it (shumpert 2nd)

Greet
01-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Marshon brooks is the second best player on the nets ... That's not saying much ... I say add shumpert kemba walker and faried

No he's not. He hasn't even been able to play with Lopez yet and Humphries is better than him.

Tom Stone
01-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Brandon knight has impressed .......His size and high IQ.....make him one to keep an eye on.......Detroit should trade stuckney and a power forward for a center......Get a real center to anchor there D and turn knight loose.......or they can keep loosing... Lawrence Frank is an idiot.....and Dumars for hiring him.

NYsFinest
01-06-2012, 09:35 AM
shumpert is the real deal... im not going to put much stock in the 18 points he scored on 10 shots because its one game but he is the most athletically gifted player in the draft and looks like a guard version of amare... except his defense is amazing, he forced about 5 turnovers with either clean steals or knocking the ball out of bounds off the offensive player.

PrettyBoyJ
01-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Yeah I was actually thinking that the other day.. Idk if it's cuz of the lockout but none of the rookies really stand out to me right now..

BklynKnicks3
01-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Shumpert

sunsfan88
01-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Props to the OP for recognizing Markieff Morris.

quade36
01-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Its Norris Cole time:catfight::catfight::catfight:

Yet another thread talking about him....

alencp3
01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Stars as in top 20 players in the league?

Ricky Rubio and Enes Kanter

rhymeratic
01-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Iman Shumpert easy. Watch him drop 30pts tonight.

rhymeratic
01-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I dont get why everybody is on the rubio bandwagon... he wont be a top 5 pg in this league at all through his career... kyrie irving will be a top 5 pg... and marshon brooks will be a top 5 sg... the rest of the players are hit and miss

:facepalm:

Rubio will be a top 5. He's been cloned from the DNA of Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. Don't sleep.

Daunter
01-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Im starting to hate Cole

Heatcheck
01-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Valanciunas.

Remember the name.

i'll try, but i cant promise u anything

TO Rapz
01-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Jonas Valunciunas.

j11430
01-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Cole has looked like a stud from what I've seen of him. Fill me in if he isn't but from the three Heat games I've seen this year he looks like he could really be an impact player on that team

KingPosey
01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Jimmmmmmmmeeeerrrr!

Ill21
01-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Iman= O.J Mayo

airforceones25
01-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Clippers managed to steal Trey Thompkins in the 2nd round... Don't think he will be a star but he's going to be an above average player in the league for years.. Think Marcus Camby type who can shoot from 3..

canefandynasty
01-06-2012, 01:31 PM
terrel harris is the truth.

MountainDew
01-06-2012, 02:33 PM
terrel harris is the truth.

9 points, 14 rebounds - 7 offensive, 5 assists .. he had one hell of a game, I honestly never even heard of him before the game last night

mdm692
01-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Morris for ROY. Expect him to start with in the next 2 weeks leading to him averaging double double 13ppg 10rpg 1.5bpg 40% 3pt shooting and 50% fg

Chill_Will_24
01-06-2012, 02:52 PM
:facepalm:

Rubio will be a top 5. He's been cloned from the DNA of Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. Don't sleep.

More like Rajon Rondo and Justin Bieber

THE GIPPER
01-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Okay lets just all name the rookie our team drafted :rolleyes:

Rockice_8
01-06-2012, 03:23 PM

I agree he's playing well but he's also chucking a bit to get those numbers. He's shooting 39% from the field and 57% from deep meaning he's shooting terrible from inside the arc. He has a long way to go but the talent is there.

Right now I think in the early going Brooks is #1 and Irving is #2 for ROY. Brooks has the the 11th highest PER% in the entire league, that's just staggering from a rookie on a terrible team. In the Celtics game he was getting double teamed as they were trying to force the ball out of his hands. To bad nobody else on his team could make a shot.