PDA

View Full Version : Kobe: "With a CP3, I wouldn't take 29 shots, I'd take 40"...

kblo247
01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
"Look, I've played 15 years. I've won world championships. I've done all these things. And people still want to talk about this stupid-***** [stuff]? I'm a scorer first ... I'll try to make the good play, the good pass, kick it out when my teammates are open, but I'm a scorer first. I may shoot 27 times. I may shoot 20 times. Nobody complains when I shoot 10 times. You don't hear ME complaining when I shoot 10 times. It just depends on the game, you know?"

Yes, but Kobe, with your right wrist swollen like a miniature Macy's float, wouldn't this be a good time to pass on a few--

--"I've shortened up my follow through," he says.

Yes, but Kobe, according to ESPN research, you have the highest "usage rate" -- that's the number of possessions a player uses per 40 minutes -- in the NBA. In fact, your usage rate (38.9) would be the highest in the 3-point era of NBA--

--"Yeah," he says. "And I also have five rings."

Yes, but Kobe, stats show that the Lakers are 29-4 when rising star center Andrew Bynum scores 20 points. Shouldn't it be a high priority for you to--

--"That's great. How many of those shots come from me kicking it to him for good looks when I'm being doubled?"

He's right, of course. He usually is. Bryant is one of the greatest offensive machines basketball has ever seen. Bynum's glory nights often come because defenses send three men to cover basketball's Jesus and leave his apostles uncovered.

"Would I be all right with a guy taking 29 shots a game?" repeats Blake Griffin of the Lakers' Staplesmates, the Clippers. "I think I'd have to be. I mean, what are you going to say? It's Kobe."

Exactly. Nobody's gonna say nothin', as we say in penitentiary movies.

Besides his coming divorce, which he doesn't talk about, nothing is going to change Kobe Bryant. Whether Phil Jackson is his coach or new Lakers coach Mike Brown. ("Right now, Kobe Bryant allows me to coach him," Brown said the other day, and not kiddingly.) Whether Chris Paul is his teammate or Paul is playing across the hall for the Clipp--

--"Not true," says Kobe. "Chris would've created shots for me. I wouldn't be shooting 29 times a game. I'd be shooting 40. Man, what would people be saying THEN?"

We'll never know. Paul was Kobe's teammate for only half an hour or so in December. Then NBA commissioner David Stern killed the very deal he helped engineer.

And Bryant doesn't care.

"I was working out [in Irvine]," Bryant recalls. "I saw it on the TV. 'Chris Paul to the Lakers.' And I thought, 'Cool.' But I didn't really get to think about it because my workout wasn't done. And it all changed before I finished."

No, Bryant remains an irresistible force of nature, like an avalanche or Justin Bieber. He is 33 and only his conscience can stop him. Luckily for Kobephiles, he doesn't have one. He'll play 66 games in 123 days this season and even that won't persuade him to stop flying into the lane and adding to his contusion collection. How's he going to make it, though?

One solution he's working on is finding somebody to come to LA and give him the same Orthokine therapy on his wrist that worked so well on his knee this offseason in Germany.

"I'm looking into that right now," he says.

But wouldn't you have to miss games for the ther--

--"Nope. Not necessarily. Don't need to miss a game to do it. We'll see."

Having just had similar blood-spinning therapy myself last month, I'd say he's either insane or has the pain threshold of lug nuts.

But this is a man who has missed zero games in three of the last four seasons, and you get the feeling it would take 12 Clydesdales to keep him off the court in this, his 16th season.

"I shouldn't have a problem. I'll be fine. That day will come, though. The key is not to let [expletives] like you see it when it gets here. I'm just gonna get out before you even notice a thing."

The Lakers without Kobe Bryant? Oh, we'll notice.

What will we do with the basketball?

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7428242/kobe-bryant-relentless-shooting

Love the interview, especially the last part. It is a mix of him trolling, telling his haters to **** off because ain't no one on the league won more than him, and because he simply doesn't seem to even care about being that politically correct robot who was a boring interview like years ago when he was repairing his image.

As my 13 year old nephew would say ... SWAG

GoPacers33
01-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Swag

dtmagnet
01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
What was the point of that interview?

poleandreel
01-05-2012, 08:25 PM
sounds like a d-bag if you ask me. That's why I love Kevin Durant being the face of my franchise and not this self-centered prick.

Celticsfan2007
lol kobe don't give a **** this season because the lakers ain't doing ****!

Htownballa1622
Swag

I swear. This is so lame.

bucketss
01-05-2012, 08:26 PM
sounds like a d-bag if you ask me. That's why I love Kevin Durant being the face of my franchise and not this self-centered prick.

you rather want people act like robots and not be themselves because they're scared of how the media potrays them...

Fnom11
01-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Swag that will continue to hurt his team.

NSJ
01-05-2012, 08:29 PM
As much as I want to love Kobe, I still hate him.

kblo247
01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
What was the point of that interview?

Basically a reporter asking him about the Denver game and him going on a tangent.

Said tangent came to this conclusion.

Do you shoot too much? I got 5 rings and been to 7 finals
Teams record is this with Bynum doing this? I got 5 rings and get him those looks
Why not change your approach and be a different type of player? I've won more than any one in the league, so shut the **** up as I get results like always
Do you hear what you are saying? Yep, just don't give a **** how you feel about it

Kobe to reporter, haters: "'I've won 5 titles and been to 7 finals doing it this way, why change now? Anyone else have that kind of resume? ****, don't tell me what to do."

Basically him being Trollbe Bryant and saying I'm tired of always just ignoring stupid *** questions, my motives being looked at, and being politically correct. I'm too old for this **** and my resume speaks for itself, and at the end of the day unless if you can show me someone in this league who has won more, **** off with that **** ..... I respect that more than him trying to always take the high road, being fake, and repeating the word execute 500 times a season and being a boring dry interview who gets asked the same **** over and over to try and get a rise out of him

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
haha kobe is a funny guy

blastmasta26
01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Nothing wrong with shooting a lot, as long as you're efficient though.

D Roses Bulls
01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Take that John Hollinger fans.

Yes, but Kobe, according to ESPN research, you have the highest "usage rate" -- that's the number of possessions a player uses per 40 minutes -- in the NBA. In fact, your usage rate (38.9) would be the highest in the 3-point era of NBA--

--"Yeah," he says. "And I also have five rings."

GoPacers33
01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
I swear. This is so lame.

I only said that cuz of the end of his post

kblo247
01-05-2012, 08:40 PM

My nephew texted me: "Go to espn.com, read kb article .... #SWAG" :p

Htownballa1622
01-05-2012, 08:42 PM

I understand. I'm not calling you lame by no means. I'm sorry if you thought I was. I'm talking about in general...I hate when ppl say that. My Lil Cuz says it and I smack the **** out of him every time.

JNA17
01-05-2012, 08:42 PM

I love Durant as a player, but in terms of his personality with the media, he acts like a robot and is a total tool. He's young though and obviously he will try to be ALWAYS be politically correct about all questions asked to him, instead of actually showing his true feelings, or just being honest.

Kobe, love or hate him, actually is honest when asked these types of questions and never tries to be politically correct or act like a total tool unlike 95% of the NBA (or Kevin Durant in your case).

GoPacers33
01-05-2012, 08:45 PM
I understand. I'm not calling you lame by no means. I'm sorry if you thought I was. I'm talking about in general...I hate when ppl say that. My Lil Cuz says it and I smack the **** out of him every time.

Ok cool

NYtilIdie
01-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Lebron shows his emotions and he's an *******, Kobe does it, he's a cool guy.

I don't get it.

Lidz
01-05-2012, 08:48 PM

I don't get it.

Trush*t.

kblo247
01-05-2012, 08:51 PM

I don't get it.

I'll let him explain it

'I've won 5 titles and been to 7 finals doing it this way, why change now? Anyone else have that kind of resume? ****, don't tell me what to do."

Like those MVPuppets commercials of them said, you can't be a king without a ring

Law25
01-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Not saying I agree but he's paid the cost to be the boss. The reason ebron cant say this is becuase of the obvious. In plus where does Kobe diss fans saying go back to your less fortunate lives? He's saying mind your and i'll mind mines. I'm to old to let you disect my every moment on and off the court.

Khalifa21
01-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I'll let him explain it

Like those MVPuppets commercials of them said, you can't be a king without a ring

So LeBron has to win a ring before he's allowed to say what he wants as opposed to what others want him to say?

Thanks for clearing that up.....

C-Style
01-05-2012, 09:02 PM
hahaha that's a funny response, ppl can't say **** now. He won 5 rings. At least he didn't give a ******** anwser like Durant. Also he was being sarcastic

Lakeshow24KB
01-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Lololol he doesn't give two ***** about anybody.

Punk
01-05-2012, 09:11 PM
LeBron has always come off as spoiled since day 1. He had a bad childhood but soon as he got an ounce of criticism, he took it personal. Kobe was never spoiled and he earned everything he did including his reputation, nearly killed his career and still is a winner despite injuries and everything.

Kobe earned his stripes. Everyone knows he says stuff like this and he also didn't run off to Miami either soon as he got bounced out the playoffs. He actually stayed and waited for his team to make a move which they did and look at them now.

I found this article hilarious, honestly.

smith&wesson
01-05-2012, 09:16 PM
kobe is the man

ManRam
01-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Oh Kobe....

I actually think he believes his team would actually be successful if he did do that, and that's what's funny.

beliges
01-05-2012, 09:19 PM
So LeBron has to win a ring before he's allowed to say what he wants as opposed to what others want him to say?

Without being a winner, you cant go out and say things like "this is going to be easy," and "were gonna win 7 championships together." People will always hate great players because people by nature, are haters. Everyone went through it. MJ went through it, Kobe had it much worse and now LBJ is going through it. The difference however is that MJ ended up winning 6 titles and he shut everyone up. Kobe won 5 titles and he shut everyone up. LBJ needs to win a few titles before he can shut everyone up. LBJ is a douche. Theres no denying that. You obviously cannot make certain statements without every winning in this league. People hate LBJ for a variety of reasons, some justified and others not. But one thing is certain, if he ends up winning a title and performs well, the hate will slowly start to dwindle down.

beliges
01-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Oh Kobe....

I actually think he believes his team would actually be successful if he did do that, and that's what's funny.

I find it funny that people criticize Kobe for his play when he has proven time and time and time again that he wins with that style. Its funny people criticize him for shooting too much and other nonsense. Look, call it what you wanna call it, Kobe playing the way he plays has brought 5 championships to his team. I think winning championships is more important than focusing on passing the ball to Bynum or Pau. His style has actually provided the most success out of any player during this generation. You expect him to change that? This is such a foolish topic.

Patriotsfan97
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
It pains me to the dark depths of my soul to say this being a huge Celtics fan, but the douche bag has a point. He has won a Championship 1/3 of the years he's been in the league. He may be the biggest ball hog in the league, but he has 5 rings to prove how it works. I hate Kobe Bryant to the bone, but he can pretty much do what the hell he wants because he has rings to show for it. As the success will slowly decline, he will always have those rings to prove why he is one of the greatest basketball players of all time.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Oh Kobe....

5 rings:clap:

kblo247
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM

LOL. That will be new default answer. For Charlie Sheen it is winning, for Kobe:

'I've won 5 titles and been to 7 finals doing it this way, why change now? Anyone else have that kind of resume? ****, don't tell me what to do."

Also, a little tidbit, when Kobe came in the league and met Jerry West he said his goal was to play in 10 Finals. 3 away before he hangs em up

magic0320
01-05-2012, 09:32 PM
and kobe don't really have any reasons to change his style. i mean come on when was last time team won with their star player leading league in assist

beliges
01-05-2012, 09:33 PM
LOL. That will be new default answer. For Charlie Sheen it is winning, for Kobe:

Also, a little tidbit, when Kobe came in the league and met Jerry West he said his goal was to play in 10 Finals. 3 away before he hangs em up

Thats a fool proof answer. You cant argue with the dude's success. Only Magic and MJ have as many titles in modern basketball. Thats as great as it gets.

Sactown
01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
He's not going to shoot 6-28 from the fiend but 8-40!

kblo247
01-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Thats a fool proof answer. You cant argue with the dude's success. Only Magic and MJ have as many titles in modern basketball. Thats as great as it gets.

Show Kareem some respect :p

lakers4sho
01-05-2012, 09:47 PM
"I've won 5 titles and been to 7 finals doing it this way, why change now? Anyone else have that kind of resume? ****, don't tell me what to do."

Argument klosed.

5ass
01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Kobe is acting worse than lakers homers on PSD :p

LakersA's49ers
01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
kobe really just can say what he wants. not gonna lie, i wouldnt care if lebron, durant, or even joe johnson said this. the best players are fighters and kobe is the ultimate fighter. hasnt missed a game in 3 of his lst 4 seasons and wasnt that due to suspension for a hard basketball swipe on jaric and some other dude? so 2 games missed that year. and in 2006 he had that knee surgery, missed first 2 games. this guy plays no matter what! like lebron and wade BOTH sitting out tonight and wade last night as well. its a league of who wants it more

beliges
01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Show Kareem some respect :p

Youre right! I was mostly considering perimeter players. But yes, the good ole capn.

rapjuicer06
01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
lol I think Kobe's forgetting some things. Shaq helped a little bit, and Kobe didn't do **** until he got another big man known as Gasol...Kobe has earned the right to take as many shots as he wants, but if he's to arrogant to realize that is what helped them get swept last year then well...

5ass
01-05-2012, 09:55 PM
kobe really just can say what he wants. not gonna lie, i wouldnt care if lebron, durant, or even joe johnson said this. the best players are fighters and kobe is the ultimate fighter. hasnt missed a game in 3 of his lst 4 seasons and wasnt that due to suspension for a hard basketball swipe on jaric and some other dude? so 2 games missed that year. and in 2006 he had that knee surgery, missed first 2 games. this guy plays no matter what! like lebron and wade BOTH sitting out tonight and wade last night as well. its a league of who wants it more

honestly, id rather have kobe sitting than shooting 6-28 from the field, hurting his team and not giving his body a chance to rest.

Tony_Starks
01-05-2012, 09:55 PM

I don't get it.

I knew it would only be so long before Lebron gets brought up in Kobe a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with him.

All thats left are the obligatory MJ comparisons and we're all set!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
lol I think Kobe's forgetting some things. Shaq helped a little bit, and Lakers FO didnt do **** before they got gasol in a highway robbery...Kobe has earned the right to take as many shots as he wants, but if he's to arrogant to realize that is what helped them get swept last year then well...

fixed

kblo247
01-05-2012, 10:08 PM
honestly, id rather have kobe sitting than shooting 6-28 from the field, hurting his team and not giving his body a chance to rest.

You didn't read the article where he said he was going to have the German doctors come to LA for his wrist when a break in the schedule occurs?

He can't sit now though because the thing isn't torn. It is severed. Vitti and Kobe both said it as soon as the results came back and that conventional surgery would mean missing 8 weeks at the earliest to be cleared for practice if everything went well. The whole scenario was broken down by John Ireland.

The German doctor is his best bet, but he has to get a break in the Laker schedule and the doctor has to get a break in his to be flown to LA

Htownballa1622
01-05-2012, 10:14 PM

Shaq and pau say hi.

magic0320
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Shaq and pau say hi.

and kobe says what's up pus sy :cool:

benzni
01-05-2012, 10:21 PM
and how many would he miss?

Htownballa1622
01-05-2012, 10:22 PM
and kobe says what's up pus sy :cool:

Right. Cool story

MTar786
01-05-2012, 10:32 PM

ya basically. and you're allowed to be an *** after you get anywhere over 3 rings. and you get to do aything you wish for the rest of your life if you get 5. till then you cant pretend like you're the ****

jam
01-05-2012, 10:34 PM
and how many would he miss?

55 percent.

NYtilIdie
01-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Bill Russell won 10 so Kobe can blow me.

Kashmir13579
01-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Scumbag. Amazing interview, though.

Chronz
01-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Ive never seen Kobe troll so hard

Kashmir13579
01-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Ive never seen Kobe troll so hard

Epic.

Statik1
01-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Kobe being Kobe

TboneM3
01-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Haters are going to hate.

ChurcH
01-06-2012, 12:53 AM
We'll see if KD remains that after 13 seasons in.

C-Style
01-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Haters are going to hate.

specially that idiot naps

Ty Fast
01-06-2012, 01:20 AM
As much as I want to love Kobe, I still hate him.

me 2

MrfadeawayJB
01-06-2012, 01:28 AM
If i was on kobes team i would shoot 40 times

ugadawgsfan17
01-06-2012, 01:47 AM
I absolutely love Kobe.

beliges
01-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Kobe's won more than any modern NBA franchise player than MJ, Magic and Kareem. I think him playing the way hes always played is perfectly ok. Hes won more than anyone else in his era.

naps
01-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Greatest ballhog in the history of this game. No surprise here.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Greatest ballhog in the history of this game. No surprise here.

you are saying kobe is better than MJ wow

dodie53
01-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Swag.

Monta is beast
01-06-2012, 06:11 AM
I could see him retiring soon. He just doesn't seem happy anymore. And has made comments about winning a title and feeling like he doesn't have to prove anything else.

sunsfan88
01-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Imagine how many rings he would have if he wasnt a ball hog....

marcanthony01
01-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Imagine how many rings he would have if he wasnt a ball hog....

Probably the same amount as Lebron :)

SteBO
01-06-2012, 11:32 AM
ya basically. and you're allowed to be an *** after you get anywhere over 3 rings. and you get to do aything you wish for the rest of your life if you get 5. till then you cant pretend like you're the ****
Really? Where's that in the NBA constitution? :eyebrow:

Funny interview with Kobe though. I liked it.

Daunter
01-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I find it funny that people criticize Kobe for his play when he has proven time and time and time again that he wins with that style. Its funny people criticize him for shooting too much and other nonsense. Look, call it what you wanna call it, Kobe playing the way he plays has brought 5 championships to his team. I think winning championships is more important than focusing on passing the ball to Bynum or Pau. His style has actually provided the most success out of any player during this generation. You expect him to change that? This is such a foolish topic.

Shaq gave him 3 rings and Pau helped him get the other 2,so don't say winning championships is more important to passing the ball to Pau or Bynum because without them he'd have 0 rings.They actually win more when he changes his style that's proven,you act like Kobe can win by himself chucking.Anyways i don't hate Kobe please don't compare him to LeBron.

beliges
01-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Shaq gave him 3 rings and Pau helped him get the other 2,so don't say winning championships is more important to passing the ball to Pau or Bynum because without them he'd have 0 rings.They actually win more when he changes his style that's proven,you act like Kobe can win by himself chucking.Anyways i don't hate Kobe please don't compare him to LeBron.

Ok, never said he did it by himself because obviously nobody does it by themselves. The point was that his style of play has generated the most championships out of anybody during this post MJ era of NBA basketball. And while Shaq helped him get 3 and Pau helped him get 2, he helped Shaq get 3 and helped Pau get 2. Its no coincidence he was able to win more without Shaq than Shaq was able to win without him. And its no coincidence Pau, who had never even won a playoff game before coming to the Lakers, became a 2 time champ during his tenure with Kobe.

Kobe "chucking away" or whatever you wanna call it has proved to be more successful than what any other player has done since MJ. Obviously it works because it generates championships. So yes, winning championships is much more important than passing the ball to Bynum or Pau.

Klivlend
01-06-2012, 05:06 PM
you rather want people act like robots and not be themselves because they're scared of how the media potrays them...

No, I just like people who act likethemselves and aren't d-bags.

Corey
01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
I still haven't decided if this interview makes him seem funny...or like a total douche.

Chronz
01-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Ok, never said he did it by himself because obviously nobody does it by themselves. The point was that his style of play has generated the most championships out of anybody during this post MJ era of NBA basketball.
Meaningless, his style of play hasnt been the same in each and every one of those title runs. If I were the reporter I would have mentioned the fact that hes starting to look more and more like the Kobe whos style of play sent him home ringless. But thats childish and I dont think Kobe would respond in this matter in a different setting.

And while Shaq helped him get 3 and Pau helped him get 2, he helped Shaq get 3 and helped Pau get 2. Its no coincidence he was able to win more without Shaq than Shaq was able to win without him.
LOL, of course its not a coincidence, just like it wasnt a coincidence that Shaq was getting the majority of the credit for those title runs, also no coincidence that when Kobe and Shaq first split up, a declining Shaq continued contending and winning a title, while Kobe missed the playoffs and suffered first round failures for 3 of his prime years.
You cant blindly point at ring tallies.

And its no coincidence Pau, who had never even won a playoff game before coming to the Lakers, became a 2 time champ during his tenure with Kobe.

Its no coincidence that Memphis became a bottom dweller once they lost Pau, that Pau turned a .500 team into a Finalist alongside Kobe is a testament to his talent as well.

Kobe "chucking away" or whatever you wanna call it has proved to be more successful than what any other player has done since MJ.
Based on what? Blind glances at ring tallies. So why not play like the guy that has "proven" to win 8 titles with his playing style, why doesnt he play more like the team oriented Hondo? Elvin Hayes has style of play that was PROVEN to win a title, but only the ignorant would take him over Malone/Barkley.

Obviously it works because it generates championships.
Just for the sake of argument, if he doesnt win a championship this year, at what point do you see its no longer generating championships? Or does that point never come and you just blindly believe in his ability to generate championships being ongoing?

So yes, winning championships is much more important than passing the ball to Bynum or Pau.

If only we lived in a simple world