PDA

View Full Version : Need Data. Better post moves? Dwight or Bynum?

ejdacanay
01-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Which player has the better post moves? I'm having a discussion on another forum and need non-biased data to determine which player is better solely in the post.

I voted Bynum, after several years of mentoring, I believe that he already has better post moves than D12 does and possibly at the top or even the best among current players after Yao and Shaq retired. Thoughts?

Tony_Starks
01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
The better question would be who actually HAS post moves. Bynum can play with his back to the basket he has hook shots, drop steps, even a bit of a face up. Even though Dwight has improved his offense the majority of his stuff is still alley oops, pick and rolls, and out hustling the other center......

ejdacanay
01-05-2012, 08:29 PM
The better question would be who actually HAS post moves. Bynum can play with his back to the basket he has hook shots, drop steps, even a bit of a face up. Even though Dwight has improved his offense the majority of his stuff is still alley oops, pick and rolls, and out hustling the other center......

Yes, this is what I'm trying to ask, back to the basket, legitimate post moves. D12 has to rely more on his athleticism than his back to the basket game, while Bynum is a more traditional old school center.

Raph12
01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVVgEUE4or8

Dwight is better than Bynum when he gets the ball outside of the paint, Bynum is at his best when he's close to the basket and he can just use his footwork to get his shot off.

Last season Dwight scored 23ppg and was ASTd only on 53% of his FGM, Bynum in comparison was ASTd on 57% of his FGM and scored significantly less. I don't think it's fair to compare them so far this season, seeming as how Bynum has gotten significantly more touches than Dwight has and the offense is built for him to get numbers.

Bynum has better footwork and touch around the basket, Dwight is more adept at getting to the basket with or without the ball.

NSJ
01-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Dwights got those stale *** patrick ewing moves. He's definitely improved his offense but to me it looks like he has a move predetermined and tries it regardless of the defensive situation. A well established post player has a repertoire of moves and executes based on the defenses position.

blahblahyoutoo
01-05-2012, 08:50 PM
dwight has ZERO moves, so by default, anyone with 1 move has better moves than dwight.

Bookey
01-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Dwight is better than Bynum when he gets the ball outside of the paint, Bynum is at his best when he's close to the basket and he can just use his footwork to get his shot off.

Last season Dwight scored 23ppg and was ASTd only on 53% of his FGM, Bynum in comparison was ASTd on 57% of his FGM and scored significantly less. I don't think it's fair to compare them so far this season, seeming as how Bynum has gotten significantly more touches than Dwight has and the offense is built for him to get numbers.

Bynum has better footwork and touch around the basket, Dwight is more adept at getting to the basket with or without the ball.

Did you really say that Bynum gets more touches than Howard? :facepalm: Bynum in my opinion is the best big in the league & if he wasn't a third option on his team & actually got more touches his numbers would be even greater.

kblo247
01-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Depends on how you look at it. Guys do make a more concerted effort to get Andrew the ball than Orlando does for Dwight. Kobe, Pau, Lamar, Fish, Luke, and so on for years have got him the ball when he has post postion, instead of just making him catch a lob or put it back. Orlando sometimes is way more content to chuck 3's as a whole and make him get rebounds, not to say Jameer or Hedo don't lob it to him

WildcatsPride
01-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Dwight Howard relies on his athleticism to score. While he is more exciting to watch than Andrew Bynum, Bynum has a better post game than Howard. I'm not a Lakers fan by any means (Mavericks fan here), but the Lakers really don't need Howard, especially if Bynum keeps playing at this high level.

Raph12
01-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Did you really say that Bynum gets more touches than Howard? :facepalm: Bynum in my opinion is the best big in the league & if he wasn't a third option on his team & actually got more touches his numbers would be even greater.

This season smart guy, Bynum has a USG rate of 29.3% while Dwight has a USG rate of only 24.3% (lowest since his third year in the league)...

If he can play like this (23-17-2 on 62+FG%/32+PER and 0.28+WS48) all season, than it'll go down as one of the greatest seasons ever; but don't count on it. It's been a great THREE GAMES, but I expect Bynum to come back down to earth (20-12-2 at best).

LMFAO at Bynum being "the best big in the league", if you really think Bynum is the best big in the league than you need an infinite number of facepalms, because he's not even top 10 lol.

rasajr23
01-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Anyone saying that Bynum gets more touches than Dwight is incorrect. Bynum has been taught by one of the best centers of all time Kareem Abdul Jabbar. One thing I would like to correct someone on is that Bynum does not have a hook shot. He has tried the hook but he doesn't feel comfortable enough to use it. Bynum is a legit Center and when he is on he is no doubt one of the best in the league. With that said I would rather have Howard on the Lakers and will trade Bynum as soon as possible because I feel Bynum will always be in Kobe's shadow and will never be the #1 go-to guy on the team.

Hellcrooner
01-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Bogut.

John Walls Era
01-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Dwight looks the same as he did last year. Hakeem isn't a magician.

Lakeshow24KB
01-05-2012, 09:11 PM

Did you make money off of that video? Just curious.

NSJ
01-05-2012, 09:22 PM
This season smart guy, Bynum has a USG rate of 29.3% while Dwight has a USG rate of only 24.3% (lowest since his third year in the league)...

If he can play like this (23-17-2 on 62+FG%/32+PER and 0.28+WS48) all season, than it'll go down as one of the greatest seasons ever; but don't count on it. It's been a great THREE GAMES, but I expect Bynum to come back down to earth (20-12-2 at best).

LMFAO at Bynum being "the best big in the league", if you really think Bynum is the best big in the league than you need an infinite number of facepalms, because he's not even top 10 lol.

He's only played in 3 games...

Bynum could definitely be considered a top 10 big as well

SteveNash
01-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Bynum easily.

Tony_Starks
01-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I'll put it like this, to put up legit career numbers like Bynum has after historically being the 4th option behind Kobe, Pau and LO is pretty great. With his brief stint as the 2nd option this year you see what he can do, we're talking allstar numbers.....

ThuglifeJ
01-05-2012, 10:10 PM
I have more post moves than Dwight

jmkh
01-05-2012, 10:26 PM

Name me 10 centers better than Bynum right now. Bynum imo is top 3 right now but to say hes not even top 10 is ludicrous

PrettyBoyJ
01-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Louis Scola

Chronz
01-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Bogut.
Bogut hasnt been Bogut for awhile

MountainDew
01-05-2012, 10:56 PM
If we are basing these 2 off strictly post moves then it is easily Bynum

MountainDew
01-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Bogut hasnt been Bogut for awhile

damn injuries :mad:

Raph12
01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
I have more post moves than Dwight

I have more talent in my junk than you do throughout your body... Easy to just talk **** isn't it?

Name me 10 centers better than Bynum right now. Bynum imo is top 3 right now but to say hes not even top 10 is ludicrous

You said "big" not center; he's the second best center, but by a HUGE margin... Largest margin between any 1 and 2 for positional rankings.

He's only played in 3 games...

Bynum could definitely be considered a top 10 big as well

Well if you're talking about last season, it isn't close; if you're talking about this season, you're making judgements prematurely... Either way, this arguement doesn't have merit.

Did you make money off of that video? Just curious.

Actually yes.

Let me just say one more thing before I leave for vacation; comparing Dwight's offensive game to Bynum's, is like comparing Lebron to Melo... Melo may be more versatile in how he scores, but Lebron scores more and does it more efficiently, ergo he's the more dominant scorer.

Chronz
01-05-2012, 11:05 PM
For the record, on the year Bynum is scoring at an unbelievable clip in post up sets thus far. 67% for 1.21PPP and Ive seen him miss some chippies.

Dwight is below his last 2 year rates at .84PPP, 50FG%.

Over the last 2 year tho, no player has been as prolific as Dwight in the post. Not sure how you would define post moves but in terms of Post Efficiency, Dwight is it at the 5. Other players close the gap with their passing efficiency from the post.

To the OP, are there any specific play types you have in mind.