PDA

View Full Version : Kings fire Paul Westphal as coach

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
KBergCBS Ken Berger
The Kings have sent out a new release that they have fired coach Paul Westphal.

8lllllD
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
SHowardCooper Scott Howard-Cooper
Kings announce they have fired Paul Westphal as coach.

Discuss

jimbobjarree
01-05-2012, 03:33 PM
congratulations kings fans

North Yorker
cool, probably deserved.

Birdmannn
DC will be happy might be allowed to take 30 shots a game now...........

Hawkeye15
01-05-2012, 03:34 PM
omg thank you!

Congrats Kings fans, you are finally able to shed the worst player developer in the NBA. Get a players coach who can preach some defense, and get going.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
sam_amick Sam Amick
The Kings have fired Paul Westphal, per team release. Asst. Keith Smart will coach team tonight.

Sadds The Gr8
about time.

Swashcuff
01-05-2012, 03:35 PM
omg thank you!

Congrats Kings fans, you are finally able to shed the worst player developer in the NBA. Get a players coach who can preach some defense, and get going.

Exactly what they need but who?

Sactown
01-05-2012, 03:36 PM
omg thank you!

Finally, I'm so happy! We might actually have an offense

king4day
01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Looks like they're putting all their eggs in the Cousins basket. That should end any trade rumors.

justinnum1
01-05-2012, 03:38 PM
nice

sacgiants1213
01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
But, But, DeMarcus Cousins demanded a trade and Westphal was just trying to do what was right for the team!

John Walls Era
01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Just because of Duo, I hope Cousins still demands a trade.

Gators123
01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Saw this on twitter...

Firing the coach he didn't like will probably do wonders for keeping Cousins' sense of entitlement in check. #NBA

I don't think this is going to help Cousins.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Exactly what they need but who?

well, they will roll with Smart the rest of the year I would guess. We will have to see who is available this summer (Flip Saunders anyone?).

Cal827
01-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I just wonder if De-Marcus will actually be able to develop properly knowing that the team fired a coach to appease him. Didn't work too well with Barfnani here in Toronto. lol

sacgiants1213
01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Woj mentioned Larry Brown.

sacgiants1213
01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Saw this on twitter...

They have so much talent on the roster, but Westphal had no idea how to use it. Firing Westphal goes much further than the Cousins incident. The truth is, Westphal should have been fired long ago.

John Walls Era
01-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Saw this on twitter...

:laugh2:

Will this be Brown's last gig :)

That would be terrible imo. Larry Brown doesn't play young guys. They need someone who can be discipline yet fair and not let Cousins BS around and act immature on and off the court.

Swashcuff
01-05-2012, 03:51 PM
well, they will roll with Smart the rest of the year I would guess. We will have to see who is available this summer (Flip Saunders anyone?).

Sam Mitchell, Larry Brown and Jeff Van Gundy can also be some potential candidates. I'd like the idea of Mitchell for them however I'm not too sure how Brown, Van Gundy and/or Saunders will deal with that roster. It's still very early however and all of this is just speculation on my part. As you said Smart is probably going to finish the season for them.

Yeah, I just wonder if De-Marcus will actually be able to develop properly knowing that the team fired a coach to appease him. Didn't work too well with Barfnani here in Toronto. lol

DeMarcus Cousins is an all time great talent and the best C in the NBA however.

imReallyCHI
01-05-2012, 03:51 PM
they might still trade big cuz

PlezPlayDKnicks
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Lol.. Flip is so bad it's amazing that he still has a job. I blame him for not taming Marbury b4 he got out of hand. Him and Garnett was such a beastly duo

Lake_Show2416
so i guess they're pretty serious about not trading Cousins lol

Hawkeye15

You do not want Larry Brown anywhere near Cousins, or a roster full of youth for that matter.

John Walls Era
01-05-2012, 03:54 PM

Different situation. BC wanted Mitchell gone the day he met him. Impossible after that COTY season, but its been long known BC wanted to get his own guy. Funny he went back to a tough defensive minded coach this season though.

Swashcuff
01-05-2012, 03:55 PM
The bigger issue with Cousins is not his coach playing him but his ability to stay out of foul trouble and stay on the floor. He's already leading the league in fouls committed. Needs to cut that number drastically if he intends to prove that he's worthy of being a #1 option on offense.

Cal827
Sam Mitchell, Larry Brown and Jeff Van Gundy can also be some potential candidates. I'd like the idea of Mitchell for them however I'm not too sure how Brown, Van Gundy and/or Saunders will deal with that roster. It's still very early however and all of this is just speculation on my part. As you said Smart is probably going to finish the season for them.

OK CED We know already lol

Funny Mitchell is listed here, he's they guy I was alluding to in Toronto that was fired for putting Barg into his doghouse for not playing defense and rebounding.

PlezPlayDKnicks
Keith smart might just help that team.. Free Garcia and throw away Bad Salmons.

Hawkeye15
Lol.. Flip is so bad it's amazing that he still has a job. I blame him for not taming Marbury b4 he got out of hand. Him and Garnett was such a beastly duo

haha, well in his defense, he used to be a very good offensive coach. The league figured out his playbook.

Marbury wasn't going to be tamed. He saw the monster deal KG got, and just couldn't accept the fact that when his contract was due up, the league had put the clamps on how much money you could offer players, so he forced his way out. At the time I was upset, but he has proven he cares only about the name on the back of his jersey, so it was a false dream thinking the Wolves had a bright future with him.

Cal827
01-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Different situation. BC wanted Mitchell gone the day he met him. Impossible after that COTY season, but its been long known BC wanted to get his own guy. Funny he went back to a tough defensive minded coach this season though.

:laugh2: yup

Ebbs
01-05-2012, 03:56 PM
I hope Cousins still gets traded

The_Jamal
01-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Thank. ****ing. God.

Now we can finally see what kind of roster we have. Westphal's "offensive system" resembled a 5v5 pick up game offense

Hawkeye15

I was kidding on Flip. I mentioned him because he is obviously not capable of getting thru to big men with low IQ's.

Van Gundy would be great, but is he interested in coaching anymore? Mitchell, meh. And hell to the no on Brown. He hates young players.

Cal827
Where's CED when you actually want to hear from him? lol

CityofTreez
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM

Don't make me laugh.

They fired him because he couldn't run an offense and the entire team was frustrated, not just Boogie. According to reports, Tyreke threw up and vomitted when he drew up plays at halftime in Denver last night. He was awful at as a leader/coach and he was awful at play calling.

The_Jamal
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
This isn't just about the Cousins incident either. It's been painfully obvious that none of the players respected or gave a **** about Westphal.

John Walls Era
01-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Blatche for Cousins sounds like a great deal for the Kings.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2012, 04:01 PM
This isn't just about the Cousins incident either. It's been painfully obvious that none of the players respected or gave a **** about Westphal.

yep. He lost that team last year, midway through.

rockbottom2010
01-05-2012, 04:01 PM
i like demarcus cousins alot.....hes a big time talent at only 21......petrie chose cousins over westpaul.....well see whats next.....cuz the kings have craaaazy talent with a future ahead of them

rhymeratic
01-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Now things will be right when Knicks get rid of D'Antoni

cooters22
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Good to see another NBA player running the franchise and in essence causing a guy to lose his job.

Cal827
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Don't make me laugh.

They fired him because he couldn't run an offense and the entire team was frustrated, not just Boogie. According to reports, Tyreke threw up and vomitted when he drew up plays at halftime in Denver last night. He was awful at as a leader/coach and he was awful at play calling.

lol Ok, my mistake. I'll admit, I don't know a ton about the situation. Reke vomiting is a little random though.

The 916 Guy
01-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Good to see another NBA player running the franchise and in essence causing a guy to lose his job.

I know everybody wants to make this about Cousins and Westphal, but Westphal was an awful coach who absolutely deserved to get fired.

Lakers + Giants
01-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Ima LMAO if kings continue to lose. A lot of their fans are saying they sucked because of their coach, i doubt it was just because of him. .

raidersrock99
01-05-2012, 04:10 PM
this has nothing to do with cousins, westphal only one 50 games as a kings coach

PleaseBeNice
01-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Praise the lord

Swashcuff
01-05-2012, 04:17 PM
I know everybody wants to make this about Cousins and Westphal, but Westphal was an awful coach who absolutely deserved to get fired.

I knew someone would say that but I agree with this statement. This wasn't just because of Cousins. They really played badly last night (especially on offense against an awful defensive team) and really haven't shown any signs of improvement over past seasons despite the fact that their young players have grown older and they added some veteran help.

Corey
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Do Kings fans have any more excuses if DeMarcus Cousins is still a disgruntled hot mess for the rest of the year?

Vincent
01-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Westphal was awful as the Kings coach.

Didn't really seem like he knew how to use Tyreke, and was content on just feeding the post to have DeMarcus go 1-on-1 on plays that weren't 3 pointers.

sacgiants1213
01-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Do Kings fans have any more excuses if DeMarcus Cousins is still a disgruntled hot mess for the rest of the year?

Yes.

valade16
01-05-2012, 04:26 PM
People keep bringing up the talent of the Kings as if they'd be a playoff team with a better coach or something. They have talent but looking at the Western conference, how many teams do they really have more talent than? Pheonix, NO, and?..

ESaady
01-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Keith Smart is aboutta beast it up as a coach in Sactown lolz.

Sactown
01-05-2012, 04:28 PM
LOL at all the hate

Hawkeye15
01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
I mean, SOME Kings fans have defended Cousins actions when they shouldn't, but a ton of them have been real on him.

I am happy for Kings fans, Westphal lost that team last year.

Iron24th
01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Probably one of the worst coach ever, good move sacto fans.

smith&wesson
01-05-2012, 04:46 PM
looks like cousins proved to be more valuable to the kings. adios paul

LakersMaster24
01-05-2012, 04:48 PM
For some reason I think Brian Shaw and the triangle would be a good fit in Sac Town. Sadly Shaw is Pacers assistant coach right now. What good coaches are out there looking for a job?

tyfreaks brotha
01-05-2012, 04:51 PM
**** yeah

The_Jamal
01-05-2012, 05:01 PM
I knew someone would say that but I agree with this statement. This wasn't just because of Cousins. They really played badly last night (especially on offense against an awful defensive team) and really haven't shown any signs of improvement over past seasons despite the fact that their young players have grown older and they added some veteran help.

This in a nutshell. While we are the youngest team in the NBA, we expected to see SOME sort of offensive cohesion and SOME sort of offensive system for these guys to play in. It's basically been 1on1 basketball the past 2 years and enough is enough. We saw the talent this team has when we beat the Lakers handily(without Bynum, but still) and these guys need a coach who will give them structure.

CityofTreez
01-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Ima LMAO if kings continue to lose. A lot of their fans are saying they sucked because of their coach, i doubt it was just because of him. .

We were a young team with an old coach. Most of our players are immature and all, but it's how Westphal combated that with his "old school" philosophy. It's definitelt not just because of HIM, you cannot place all the blame on the coach. Just 80% of the blame to the man calling out plays and actually calling practice a "practice".

He had his several dark moments, and his limited bright moments, like you know, outcoaching Mike Brown in Sacramento.

SDDodger
01-05-2012, 05:04 PM
While I think Westphal is a bad coach the Kings problems run deeper than the coach. The roster while very talented is poorly assembled. It has become painfully obvious that Tyreke is not an NBA pg and most people knew this last year. He either can't or won't facilitate any offense. He constantly penetrates wrecklessly, leaves his feet and then has no clue what to do with the ball. That is the Kings offense. Marcus Thornton shoots everytime he touches the ball and thats Salmons MO as well.

Before last years draft I hoped Brandon Knight would fall to the Kings. Then they trade their only PG in Beno for Salmons and the right to move down and draft Jimmer?? WTF. Another small guard who cant defend or play the point in the NBA. Hated the draft on draft day and hate it more after watching the team for the first 2 weeks.

I am a huge Geoff Petrie fan, think he is one of the best in the business, but I think a lot of the Kings problems can be laid at his feet for having a pooly assembled roster.

Sactown
01-05-2012, 05:09 PM
While I think Westphal is a bad coach the Kings problems run deeper than the coach. The roster while very talented is poorly assembled. It has become painfully obvious that Tyreke is not an NBA pg and most people knew this last year. He either can't or won't facilitate any offense. He constantly penetrates wrecklessly, leaves his feet and then has no clue what to do with the ball. That is the Kings offense. Marcus Thornton shoots everytime he touches the ball and thats Salmons MO as well.

Before last years draft I hoped Brandon Knight would fall to the Kings. Then they trade their only PG in Beno for Salmons and the right to move down and draft Jimmer?? WTF. Another small guard who cant defend or play the point in the NBA. Hated the draft on draft day and hate it more after watching the team for the first 2 weeks.

I am a huge Geoff Petrie fan, think he is one of the best in the business, but I think a lot of the Kings problems can be laid at his feet for having a pooly assembled roster.

Geoff wanted Knight, and Tyreke doesn't know what to do with the ball because as every player has said "What offense"? Tyreke gets the ball at the last second drives into the paint gets closed out and doesn't know where anybody is lol.. After awhile and while clashing with the coach the team just gave up.. they did what Westphal told them or they'd get benched, but what Westphal told them just didn't work... Although I do agree we do not have a true past first player

Lakers + Giants
01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
We were a young team with an old coach. Most of our players are immature and all, but it's how Westphal combated that with his "old school" philosophy. It's definitelt not just because of HIM, you cannot place all the blame on the coach. Just 80% of the blame to the man calling out plays and actually calling practice a "practice".

He had his several dark moments, and his limited bright moments, like you know, outcoaching Mike Brown in Sacramento.

That's the highlight of your season so far, lmao. It's just funny how when Kings win it's because the team played well, when kings lost it was because of Paul Westphal, Kings players did no wrong in their fans eyes.

CityofTreez
01-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Poorly assembled roster because of some lousy, cheap owners who wouldn't spend a dime for 3-4 years just because of their well-being. Petrie has been one of the best NBA executives since his tenure, but the Maloofs have been some of the worst owners since their tenure.

topdog
01-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Bad timing with the Cousins thing, but Westphal had to go!

That roster still needs to be put in check and taught to play as a team and make noise on the court, but this should help.

CityofTreez
01-05-2012, 05:13 PM
That's the highlight of your season so far, lmao. It's just funny how when Kings win it's because the team played well, when kings lost it was because of Paul Westphal, Kings players did no wrong in their fans eyes.

Of course the highlight of our 7 game season was beating the Lakers! You kidding me? That's the worst highlight of your season so far, Losing to the Sac KINGS!

Iodine
01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Oh thank you sweet baby jesus

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Cousins will be a MVP

marj987
01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Diantoni with Kings sound just about right.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
Of course the highlight of our 7 game season was beating the Lakers! You kidding me? That's the worst highlight of your season so far, Losing to the Sac KINGS!

Kings>lakers:cry:

SDDodger
The Maloof's have not been cheap with salary. When Sacramento had a team built to win they paid huge salaries to players, overpaid in most cases. Cwebb, Bibby, Divac, Peja, Brad Miller all got paid huge contracts, but when it became obvious that we were no longer title contenders we had to cut salary and rebuild. The team now has young talent and cap space put them in a major market and players would be flocking to come to the Kings.

In the early 2000s the Maloofs were the darlings of the NBA. They were young, flamboyant and willing to spend to win. People wanted to play for them. The reality of being in a small media market with no corporate sponsors have suddenly changed the way people view them. All it will take is that one signing ala Vlade to turn the views of the Maloofs back around. When the full terms of the new CBA come into effect the Kings are going to be primed to take advantage of it and Petrie and the Maloofs will again be NBA royalty.

JLynn943
01-05-2012, 05:25 PM
This is the best news I've heard in a long time. I don't expect an offense to be installed overnight, but I'm expecting noteworthy improvement by season's end.

CityofTreez
01-05-2012, 05:31 PM
The Maloof's have not been cheap with salary. When Sacramento had a team built to win they paid huge salaries to players, overpaid in most cases. Cwebb, Bibby, Divac, Peja, Brad Miller all got paid huge contracts, but when it became obvious that we were no longer title contenders we had to cut salary and rebuild. The team now has young talent and cap space put them in a major market and players would be flocking to come to the Kings.

In the early 2000s the Maloofs were the darlings of the NBA. They were young, flamboyant and willing to spend to win. People wanted to play for them. The reality of being in a small media market with no corporate sponsors have suddenly changed the way people view them. All it will take is that one signing ala Vlade to turn the views of the Maloofs back around. When the full terms of the new CBA come into effect the Kings are going to be primed to take advantage of it and Petrie and the Maloofs will again be NBA royalty.

I can only hope you're correct. BUT, the Maloofs are ****ing miserable. They still don't give a **** about this city, and never will. It was reported in our media outlets that the Maloofs finally moved here and invest all their energy into the Sac Kings. Yeah ****ing right, they want us gone and still hault any plans for us to STAY here, our mayor cares more than our owners!

We could sign Steve Nash and the Maloofs are still Snakes! Petrie talks business while the Maloof Family sits courtside at every home game. That's their primary interest.

CaptainClutch
01-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Looks like they want DeMarcus on their team....adios trade rumors

Lakers + Giants
01-05-2012, 05:46 PM

Sure, that makes up for 02 right? :D

SportsAndrew25
01-05-2012, 05:55 PM
No surprise considering how bad that team started the season.

IBleedPurple
01-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Much deserved. Watching them last night, I've never seen a more one-on-one, pathetic offense.

And they did average more turnovers than assists

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Who's next?

Mike no D Antoni?

Sactown
01-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Who's next?

Mike no D Antoni?

No.

fredv
01-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Should have fired Tyreke.. Dude couldn't pass even if his life depended on it!

Dribble...dribble...dribble...dribble... SHOOT!

Dribble...dribble...dribble...dribble... dish to a teammate with 3 seconds left on the shot-clock! Good luck Stupid!

NYtilIdie
01-05-2012, 06:16 PM
We can finally see this team play to its potential now, should be fun.

Wrigheyes4MVP
01-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Should have fired Tyreke.. Dude couldn't pass even if his life depended on it!

Dribble...dribble...dribble...dribble... SHOOT!

Dribble...dribble...dribble...dribble... dish to a teammate with 3 seconds left on the shot-clock! Good luck Stupid!

You are actually spot on lol.

Sactown
01-05-2012, 07:46 PM
You are actually spot on lol.

So this is the conversation Westphal had with the team

"Well Guys, I run a free flowing offense and I want you to make things happen! Just try to move the ball"

Team, "A..L..R..I..G..H..T..???"

Westphal, "Oh Tyreke, you're the point guard, so I want you to drive and dish! Make things happen!"

Tyreke "A..L..R..I..G..H..T..???"

In Game situation

Tyreke to himself, "Alright I have the ball and nobody is moving, Okay I see a screen! Okay I'm attack, Oh **** they're closing in... where the **** is my teammates? where did they go? did they even move? well I might as well shoot it..."

Thornton "Well, I haven't shot the ball in the last 30 seconds so I think it's time to put up a triple or two.. maybe 10..."

John Salmons "****K I'M SO HIGHH, what are we doing again? Something about free lancing this ****?

Chuck Hayes "Hey Westphal, where's our playbook?"
Westphal "We don't have one silly goose"

DeMarcus Cousins "So Mr. PW, We stopped giving me the ball, and our offense is kinda crappy? what's my roll and what are we trying to do? Oh just a BTW, teams are scoringggg a shittt ton of points"

Westphal "WHO THE **** ARE YOU! TO QUESTION ME THE ZEN MASTER!"

DeMarcus Cousins "But Coach I'm just trying to figu...

Westphal "DAMNIT COUSINS I DON'T LISTEN TO LOGIC AND REASON! YOU'RE A CANCER TO THE TEAM"

DeMarcus Cousins "Well you POS if you feel that way tra...

Westphal "Is that a trade request! GO HOME!"

DeMarcus Cousins "Westphal! I was going to say 'trays full of donuts are cheap and I'll pick up a dozen!"

Westphal "GET OUT OF MY OFFICE!"

That's the Kings

Tony_Starks
01-05-2012, 07:47 PM
They should get Brian Shaw and let him deal with the young guys......

DerekRE_3
01-05-2012, 07:53 PM
They should get Brian Shaw and let him deal with the young guys......

I wouldn't mind that, but for now it will be Keith Smart for the rest of the year.

Infamous916
01-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I've seen streetball games more organized than how Westphal ran the team. The Kings players never bought into him as a coach & this isn't something that started this season. He is a horrible fit on the team & stayed much longer than he should've.

Cal827
01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
So this is the conversation Westphal had with the team

"Well Guys, I run a free flowing offense and I want you to make things happen! Just try to move the ball"

Team, "A..L..R..I..G..H..T..???"

Westphal, "Oh Tyreke, you're the point guard, so I want you to drive and dish! Make things happen!"

Tyreke "A..L..R..I..G..H..T..???"

In Game situation

Tyreke to himself, "Alright I have the ball and nobody is moving, Okay I see a screen! Okay I'm attack, Oh **** they're closing in... where the **** is my teammates? where did they go? did they even move? well I might as well shoot it..."

Thornton "Well, I haven't shot the ball in the last 30 seconds so I think it's time to put up a triple or two.. maybe 10..."

John Salmons "****K I'M SO HIGHH, what are we doing again? Something about free lancing this ****?

Chuck Hayes "Hey Westphal, where's our playbook?"
Westphal "We don't have one silly goose"

DeMarcus Cousins "So Mr. PW, We stopped giving me the ball, and our offense is kinda crappy? what's my roll and what are we trying to do? Oh just a BTW, teams are scoringggg a shittt ton of points"

Westphal "WHO THE **** ARE YOU! TO QUESTION ME THE ZEN MASTER!"

DeMarcus Cousins "But Coach I'm just trying to figu...

Westphal "DAMNIT COUSINS I DON'T LISTEN TO LOGIC AND REASON! YOU'RE A CANCER TO THE TEAM"

DeMarcus Cousins "Well you POS if you feel that way tra...

Westphal "Is that a trade request! GO HOME!"

DeMarcus Cousins "Westphal! I was going to say 'trays full of donuts are cheap and I'll pick up a dozen!"

Westphal "GET OUT OF MY OFFICE!"

That's the Kings

Best Description of a teams daily routine, EVER :laugh: :laugh2:

fredv
01-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Unfortunately I doubt Keith Smart is the answer to the Kings' problems..

Just signed for 2 years.. per Woj.

Kakaroach
01-05-2012, 09:18 PM
That took entirely too long. Should have happened months ago. Hopefully the Kings can now at least function and look respectable. And most important, not have to trade Boogie.

Sactown
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Best Description of a teams daily routine, EVER :laugh: :laugh2:

we ball bro.. we balll

slynxpac
01-05-2012, 10:24 PM
bye bye Paul