PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies/76ers/Hornets involved in 3 team deal

Gators123
01-04-2012, 12:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7423424/memphis-grizzlies-talks-philadelphia-76ers-marreese-speights-sources-say

The Memphis Grizzlies are in advanced discussions on a three-team trade with New Orleans and Philadelphia that will bring 76ers center Marreese Speights to the Grizzlies, according to sources with knowledge of the trade.

The deal, on course to be completed later Wednesday, would send Memphis' Xavier Henry to the Hornets and two second-round picks to Philadelphia.

thenetslegend
01-04-2012, 12:11 PM
lol i was expecting it to be bigger than that

North Yorker
Insurance for Mem with Randolph's injury?

They never played Xavier anyway iirc so not a bad move for them.

BallIsAll
That's a boring trade

Raps18-19 Champ
01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I hope those were protected first round picks.

sixer04fan
01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
I hope those were protected first round picks.

Do we know what round the picks are? While Speights still has potential in a new setting, I think the Sixers would be lucky to get a 1st round pick out of this deal, as Speights has essentially no value at this point.

nolafan33
01-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Hornets got Henry for a 2nd rounder :)

SeoulBeatz
01-04-2012, 12:31 PM
ill be extremely happy if we pull a first in this years draft for speights, but i highly doubt it.

2 future 2nds? meh, he has all the talent in the world but is quite possibly the dumbest player in the league so i guess that's a fair deal.

Lakeshow24KB
01-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I Definitely give a ****

jimbobjarree
01-04-2012, 12:32 PM

this stuck out to me as well, savvy deal. Shame my Jazz couldn't have got him :sigh:

CinnPirate
01-04-2012, 12:34 PM
"The deal, on course to be completed later Wednesday, would send Memphis' Xavier Henry to the Hornets and two second-round picks to Philadelphia." Marc Stein

A key part of the qoute you left out!

ChaseHamels
01-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I Definitely give a ****

Yeah... who the **** cares if the trade doesn't involve the "lakeshow".

GrkGawdofWalkz
01-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Good to get a return for Speights. Clears some cap off. Still need to figure out what to do in the 2 and 3 area in Philly. Good luck to you Marreese.

PhillyFaninLA
01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
ill be extremely happy if we pull a first in this years draft for speights, but i highly doubt it.

2 future 2nds? meh, he has all the talent in the world but is quite possibly the dumbest player in the league so i guess that's a fair deal.

Considering that even you would have a hard time making a Speights highlight reel with the amazing work you do with your you tube vids I'll take 2 seconds over Speights not doing anything. I suspect we will get a first.

What I wonder is if this is a precursor to another move.

Hustla23
01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I was about to say. Philly made off like thieves in this deal. I didn't know Speights was that undervalued. I thought he had quite a bit of potential. Oh well.

PhillyFaninLA
01-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Do we know what round the picks are? While Speights still has potential in a new setting, I think the Sixers would be lucky to get a 1st round pick out of this deal, as Speights has essentially no value at this point.

No value to us. Teams will still look at his size, age, and offense (he does have some of that) and might take the chance and see more value then we do.

theducksmuggler
01-04-2012, 01:01 PM
he has been rotting on our bench for 2 years, doug collins hates him because he has no work ethic...ill take 2 second rounders all day

lavilevi23
01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Good deal for Grizzlies.

Carey
01-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Good deal for the Hornets, he's at least a solid rotation player

Giraffes Rule
01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Insurance for Mem with Randolph's injury?

They never played Xavier anyway iirc so not a bad move for them.

It might have more to do with Darrell Arthur's injury. They lack the front court depth that made them dangerous in the playoffs last year without Arthur.

Sadds The Gr8
01-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Weak deal...I was expecting something with Iggy or Turner included. And does anyone know the deal with Xavier Henry? He had a good amount of hype and I basically never heard his name in 2 years.

MrfadeawayJB
01-04-2012, 01:38 PM

Enjoy having Henry sit on your bench!!! Dude stays injured.

I was about to say. Philly made off like thieves in this deal. I didn't know Speights was that undervalued. I thought he had quite a bit of potential. Oh well.

I like this deal for my grizz. We are log-jammed at the guard positions, and Speights is a hot commodity for us since Arthur was injured. Now with Z-Bo out, this is a needed move since we only got 3 bigs on the roster right now until Haddaddi becomes active

Hellcrooner
01-04-2012, 01:39 PM
does this mean Randolphs injury is going to be longer than expected?

Iverson3018
01-04-2012, 01:41 PM
does this mean Randolphs injury is going to be longer than expected?

Same question here

Sixerlover
01-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I'll take 2 picks for a guy who doesn't play. At least there is potential to grab a useful player in round 2 as opposed to knowing Speights will rot on the bench

jrm2054
01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Thought it would be bigger

Sixerlover
01-04-2012, 01:46 PM

Had some solid potential, but the worth ethic of a lazy 5th grader. That won't work in the NBA and especially not under Collins

Point-Blank
01-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Man i was expecting this to involve the grizzlies trading Mayo.

HOZ THE KNICK
01-04-2012, 01:49 PM
boring deal, but everyone get's what they want.

Iverson3018
01-04-2012, 01:52 PM
it looks like I'm the only Sixer fan that thinks Speights could have been useful this year. Ok.

goalie
01-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Just like to clear up something for some people here:

Iggy and Turner do not play the same position. Iggy is not "blocking" Turner. Sixers have no reason to trade Iggy unless they get to the deadline out of the playoff race and at the point it would be to get rid of his deal, not his talent.

Doug loves Iggy and Doug has 100% authority over what happens with this roster right now because of the respect Thorn and ownership has for him.

Meeks is the guy playing "ahead" of Turner and thats only because Turner is still young and Doug is making him earn it, not because Turner is a bust or Meeks is better.

Doug's goal coming into this season was to have a 2nd unit as strong as the
1st unit. To be deep and to kill teams with fresh legs.

Sadds The Gr8
01-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Iggy and Turner do not play the same position. Iggy is not "blocking" Turner. Sixers have no reason to trade Iggy unless they get to the deadline out of the playoff race and at the point it would be to get rid of his deal, not his talent.

Doug loves Iggy and Doug has 100% authority over what happens with this roster right now because of the respect Thorn and ownership has for him.

Meeks is the guy playing "ahead" of Turner and thats only because Turner is still young and Doug is making him earn it, not because Turner is a bust or Meeks is better.

Actually he kind of is. they're both ball-handling/playmaking wing players and they wouldn't really mesh well at all if they both started. They both have limited shooting range (Iggy has been better so far this year but i'm still skeptical). Teams don't like to play guys who are very similar in playing styles together.

RaiderKid318
01-04-2012, 02:15 PM
What the **** do the hornets expect to do with all these young players? God damn by the season end we won't have a player older than 28! And how the **** are we supposed to decide who we want to start for us come next season and we added two top 15 picks in the draft? Jesus stern this isn't 2k12 I get you are "rebuilding", but I'm thinking it is safe to say we have all the youth we need.

EaglesJackson10
01-04-2012, 02:29 PM
If people watched the Sixers they would realize that Lou Williams not Iggy. Whenever Turner is on the floor Lou is usually out there too taking all of the shots. That's one of the biggest reasons this guy doesn't get an opportunity to produce. Then again Iggy does take minutes from him.

PhillyFaninLA
01-04-2012, 02:34 PM
it looks like I'm the only Sixer fan that thinks Speights could have been useful this year. Ok.

I think in a late game situation against a team with no big and we need a few minutes of offense I think he could be useful to us if Brand, Hawes, and Vuc are in foul trouble. Not in any other situation.

He won't be even a 10 minute a game guy for us so 2 second round picks for a guy that would be a bench warmer most of the time is pretty good.

PhillyFaninLA
01-04-2012, 02:37 PM
(pointless post deleted it)

More-Than-Most
01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Jesus christ I got my hopes up... Can we please ****ing trade iggy already? Trade Iggy for potential or picks while dumping the season to get a high number 1 and let Turner/Holiday/Meeks and so on continue to get better. This is the recipe for success right now considering we have no shot at a title.

More-Than-Most
01-04-2012, 02:40 PM
As for this trade from a sixers fan I have no issues with it...I am not sure Speights even plays anymore to be honest... I really never expected us to get anything of value but 2 number 2s makes me happy.

Kingz4L
01-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Laim....thats like hearing my friend wants to trade me a Pizza for my cheese sticks only to have a another friend involve himself by willing to trade the pepper and sauce for an item too...

GiantsSwaGG
01-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Who & Who?

Bajecco
01-04-2012, 02:57 PM

You guys keep looking for excuses as to why Evan Turner isn't starting or getting starter minutes.

How about this. EVEN TURNER ISN"T VERY GOOD.

He's a bust and Collins knows it. Remember, he DID NOT WANT TURNER IN THE DRAFT.

The 76ers need to deal Turner is possible. In the mean time getting a couple of picks for Speights (another wasted 1st round pick by Philly) is a smart move.

DeRozan10
01-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Great deal for NO ... Henry was a lottery pick who has yet to really get a chance to show what he's got.

Great low risk high reward.

They have some really nice young pieces now and are looking great for a rebuild

Eric Gordon, Al-Farouq Aminu, Xavier Henry, Greivis Vasquez, 2 potential lottery picks, and tons of future cap space

IMO things are looking good in NO

PhillyFaninLA
01-04-2012, 03:07 PM
We need to ask ourselves will Stern demand the Sixers throw in Holiday and Memphis Gasol to approve the deal.

ElFuturoDeESPN
01-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Has there been a bigger bust in recent memory than Xavier Henry? I remember going into the '10 draft some "experts" saying he was gonna be the next big superstar in the NBA and that he had all the potential in the world..

Apparently that's false because he hasn't done a damn thang in the league.

dtmagnet
01-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Henry can finally get some PT and show why he was picked so high.

DR_1
01-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Good deal for Grizz and Hornets. Don't get it for the Sixers.

Sportfan
01-04-2012, 05:39 PM
WTF? Xavier? Celtics why are you not getting in this, I'd give a first for X

ChaseHamels
01-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Laim....thats like hearing my friend wants to trade me a Pizza for my cheese sticks only to have a another friend involve himself by willing to trade the pepper and sauce for an item too...

:facepalm:

Speights was never going to play under Collins so its a solid move.

gbrl
01-04-2012, 06:31 PM
mayo and iggy came to mind when i say the teams involved

unleashthebeast
01-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Nice deal for the hornets, out of Aminu and Henry you would think that at least 1 of them will pan out as a solid wing next to Gordon.

PhillyFaninLA
01-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Good deal for Grizz and Hornets. Don't get it for the Sixers.

You and I have played the same amount of minutes for the Sixers this year as Speights. Its 2 second round picks for a player that didn't see the floor.

LTBaByyy
01-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Boring.

goalie
01-04-2012, 07:11 PM
You guys keep looking for excuses as to why Evan Turner isn't starting or getting starter minutes.

How about this. EVEN TURNER ISN"T VERY GOOD.

He's a bust and Collins knows it. Remember, he DID NOT WANT TURNER IN THE DRAFT.

The 76ers need to deal Turner is possible. In the mean time getting a couple of picks for Speights (another wasted 1st round pick by Philly) is a smart move.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Typical NBA fan, if the player isn't a superstar he's a bust. You probably haven't seen the Sixers play yet this year and just look at box scores.

raptor fan
01-04-2012, 07:17 PM
what a great deal for the hornets. getting a player like henry who was drafted one year ago for a second round pick is a steal.