PDA

View Full Version : NBA Announcers: Shouldn't They Be Impartial?

Young and Stupid
01-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I've long been baffled by the lack of objectivity amongst many of the league's regional broadcasts. I had always noticed it, but it became more apparent when I began watching more games on NBA League Pass.

Apparently, I've been spoiled by the broadcasts of the teams I happen to watch most (the Nets and the Knicks). I was under the impression that all announcers strived to remain objective, fair and impartial; but the more I listened to other announcers, the more I realized how rare it was. I was actually curious enough about this topic that I questioned Michael Kay (I interned at 1050 ESPN) about it. He couldn't give me a definitive answer on why it seemed that the majority of broadcasts (I asked him about basketball, not baseball) failed to uphold a sense of objectivity.

I've tried to distinguish if there was some semblance of a breakdown of broadcasts that were objective versus those that were not. Being the snobby New Yorker that I am, I hypothesized that it might be a northeast or coastal thing. Then I remembered that the Celtics' announcers are among the worst in the league. I did, however, realize that the Clippers and Lakers broadcasts did a pretty good job of remaining impartial. As a result, it appeared that it could be resigned to the major media markets (although it would seem that Chicago and Dallas would be included in this group).

Anyway, I'd like to hear PSD's answer to a few questions: (1) Can you think of a reason why (it appears that) New York and LA broadcasts are the only ones that remain objective and fair? Or are there other broadcasts that do a good job of being impartial? Can we determine some sort of pattern? What dictates that a broadcast hold itself to that standard? (2) Shouldn't every announcer strive to be impartial and fair? Isn't that part of what makes a good broadcast? I was under the impression that objectivity and professionalism went hand-in-hand. (3) Are there any of you that prefer that your announcers act as fans? If so, why?

Edit: I'm less complaining and more trying to understand how others view the issue. I have no problem being in the minority, I'd just like to hear others' opinions.

Also: Just to clarify, I don't mean that regional announcers should be completely impartial -- obviously they're broadcasting to the fans of the team, they should display some sense of affinity -- more that they should call the game fairly. More specifically, if a big play happens, they should call it with enthusiasm, no matter what team makes the play. Or if a bad call occurs, they shouldn't ***** and moan about it for one side and not the other.

BcEuAbRsS
01-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Why? He doesnt do anybody but the Bulls right?

Bulls fans love him... so who cares if you dont...

Scarified
01-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Boo hoo....sad story.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2012, 11:46 PM
It is literally impossible to be impartial. Some are great at masking it, but its impossible.

TheSportMessiah
01-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Umm... he is a Bulls announcer..On the Chicago Bulls networks....

BcEuAbRsS
01-03-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking the OP is insane...

gocubs2118
01-03-2012, 11:51 PM
You realize he gets paid by the Bulls to broadcast BULLS games, right? It's not like he's on ESPN doing all of his lines.

NBA_Starter
01-03-2012, 11:52 PM
They should be bias to a certain extent but King is just over the top!

D1JM
01-03-2012, 11:54 PM
King is a bulls announcer. Why should he root for the lakers, clippers or Knicks?

Raps18-19 Champ
01-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Have you ever seen Tommy boy?

Confusious
01-03-2012, 11:55 PM
They should be bias to a certain extent but King is just over the top!
Clearly you never watched a Miami home game.

mwoodri
Beep Beep!!

BcEuAbRsS
He is over the top... but that's why meatball fans love him... other than his "over the topness" he does have great insight in the game...

Young and Stupid
01-03-2012, 11:56 PM
You realize he gets paid by the Bulls to broadcast BULLS games, right? It's not like he's on ESPN doing all of his lines.

Without a doubt.

As I said, maybe it's because I've been spoiled by New York broadcasts. They are obviously paid by the team to broadcast games, yet they remain (for the most part) impartial.

Also: 'Impartial' isn't necessarily the best word. However, I'm having trouble finding a better one. Of course they should show some likeness for the team for which they're broadcasting, but it would seem that they should remain fair in the manner they announce the game. (For instance, they should get excited for big plays by both teams, as opposed to just their own.)

northsider
King is a chicago homer period. The guy is an ex bull and a huge fan. He calls games for the Bulls and not on a national level. Don't like him then mute it who cares what he says.

xsilencerx
King gets into it but he is the Bulls announcer hes a fan and is basically expressing what all Bulls fans are yelling from their couches. He does though compliment other teams when they do things right, and will get excited if there players do something big also.

GoPacers33
I was watching the Bulls v Hawks game and I noticed how obnoxious their announcer was. It's fine but it was a little over the line. He was like BIGGER , STRONGER , FASTER, BETTER, THAN YOU MR. TEAGUE. Geez

BcEuAbRsS
01-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Without a doubt.

As I said, maybe it's because I've been spoiled by New York broadcasts. They are obviously paid by the team to broadcast games, yet they remain (for the most part) impartial.

Also: 'Impartial' isn't necessarily the best word. However, I'm having trouble finding a better one. Of course they should show some likeness for the team for which they're broadcasting, but it would seem that they should remain fair in the manner they announce the game. (For instance, they should get excited for big plays by both teams, as opposed to just their own.)

I for one, am glad that my home announcers don't want the opponent to win...

Young and Stupid
01-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Okay, since I'm receiving more insults than answers, I'll ask a slightly different question: Is impartialness not a measure of a regional announcer's professionalism? Should we expect that our announcers broadcast as if they were fans of the team (the group to which they're broadcasting)?

I for one, am glad that my home announcers don't want the opponent to win...

So you're saying that when an announcer gets excited for a play, you take it as them supporting the team which made the play rather than good basketball? I know it sounds like I'm being a dick, but I'm not being facetious, I'm legitimately interested in the expectations that others set for their announcers.

Confusious
I was watching the Bulls v Hawks game and I noticed how obnoxious their announcer was. It's fine but it was a little over the line. He was like BIGGER , STRONGER , FASTER, BETTER, THAN YOU MR. TEAGUE. Geez
I'm sure you think Paul George is BIGGER, STRONGER, FASTER, BETTER than Derrick Rose too. :laugh:

grayski
Your name says it all.

Teeboy1487
01-04-2012, 12:02 AM
I have to watch to Houston announcers tonight in the Lakers game. They are the worst.

BcEuAbRsS
01-04-2012, 12:02 AM
I think you broadcast to your style... he is a Bulls announcer and makes it well known... Bulls fans love him... I would say that means he is doing a pretty good job...

Hustlenomics
01-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Stacey King is the worst

gaughan333
01-04-2012, 12:10 AM
If you're scared, go buy a dog

Procision
01-04-2012, 12:11 AM
National - Yes
Local - No

Rosh
01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
It'd be one thing if Stacey was just some mindless mook who just a straight up paid homer, but King is actually very knowledgeable about the game. I'm not going to deny that he's a homer, but really, he would be one of those types that, if he was your announcer, you'd love him, which we do.

It's very understandable that he gets hate from other fans, and I'm really not going to try and convince otherwise because King is what he is. But I do want to debunk any misconceptions that he isn't still a good color commentator. The man knows the game well and just happens to really like the Bulls.

NSJ
01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Should we expect the announcers that broadcast the games in a specific region to be a fan of that specific regions team? Yeah I think I'd expect that..why would you want to hear or be an announcer for a team you don't like? An even better question is would why would the local sports channel hire a guy who's not a fan of the squad? I love listening to Tommy and Mike, it's gonna be a sad day when they both go.

However, if it's a nationally televised game than you should be somewhat impartial, even though you constantly hear announcers jerkin it to lebron when he's on the floor.

What's the big deal anyways? Do people need the broadcasters to speak a certain way to enjoy the game because I actually find it entertaining to hear some of these root for their team. Hate the spurs, watched the spurs game the other night on that free league pass preview and found it quite funny.

NSJ
01-04-2012, 12:16 AM
I also like how the "no" to this question was worded with "I want them to be on my side" opposed to openly rooting for or showing affinity for a team lol

MJ-BULLS
01-04-2012, 12:16 AM
It'd be one thing if Stacey was just some mindless mook who just a straight up paid homer, but King is actually very knowledgeable about the game. I'm not going to deny that he's a homer, but really, he would be one of those types that, if he was your announcer, you'd love him, which we do.

It's very understandable that he gets hate from other fans, and I'm really not going to try and convince otherwise because King is what he is. But I do want to debunk any misconceptions that he isn't still a good color commentator. The man knows the game well and just happens to really like the Bulls.

well said.

I know for a fact that if fans had him as their announcer, they would love him. He is a very Knowledgeable person. and is a extremely funny guy.

DaBear
01-04-2012, 12:17 AM
On a national audience stand point (ESPN, CBS, etc.), they should be impartial. On the teams home network, why the **** can't they cheer for their own team? That's why they get hired. It makes the game more enjoyable. If you're watching our network from a different location, mute the god damn tv.

And Stacey King gives credit where it is due for the opposing teams. People just get mad when he gets excited about his team. Cry me a river.

Ill21
01-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Boo hoo....sad story.

Black American dad story. But for real, if I'm watching a game on MSG and Frazier is doing the game it doesn't bother me if he shows homerism toward the Knicks. But if I'm watching a game on abc, espn or TNT I expect their to be no favoritism as the fans of both teams are watching.

Cub_StuckinSTL
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Gimme the hot sauce!

marvILLous
01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
ya king is a homer but he doesn't seem like a dumbass.. although his homerism can be annoying sometimes.. tommy heinsohn on the other hand.. :pity:

72 Wins
01-04-2012, 12:19 AM

Exactly, Stacy is paid by the Bulls so he's gonna obviously be biased one way. However... it's funny because I could sense at times he wants to say something negative about Asik's "soft" hands, but has to hold back any kind of overt criticism. Last time a commentator made negative comments about the team he was paid to broadcast for was Steve Stone, he basically was forced out for this back in 2004.

John Walls Era
01-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Announcers try to appeal to the fan base. In some ways they become fans (after broadcasting so many games, the team has to grow on them). King is an exception, but most commentators aren't huge homers.

Dolfan305
01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Nation broadcatser like Marv Albert, Mike Breen, Kevin Harlan etc. should be impartial but I have no problem with guys like Stacey King and any local NBA broadcaster rooting for their team. These guys are like part of the team, they travel with them and broadcast almost every single game for their team exclusively.

phen0m
01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
stacey king is the best

fyp

DaBear
01-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Stacey King > your teams announcer

Doogolas
01-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Basically what Rosh said. King is a really smart guy when he's not flipping his ****. And he's fun as hell to listen to as a Bulls fan, the guy is legitimately very funny and usually pretty creative at that.

NSJ
01-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Nation broadcatser like Marv Albert, Mike Breen, Kevin Harlan etc. should be impartial but I have no problem with guys like Stacey King and any local NBA broadcaster rooting for their team. These guys are like part of the team, they travel with them and broadcast almost every single game for their team exclusively.

Idk if this guys even a fan of basketball or just likes watching the dudes run up and down the court

NSJ
01-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Stacey King > your teams announcer

I'd like to see him and Tommy Heinsohn step in to the octagon lol

gaughan333
01-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Stacey bashes boozer

effen5
01-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Stacey King has three rings...

This thread is invalid

asik and destroy...

bye

gaughan333
01-04-2012, 12:28 AM
I'd like to see him and Tommy Heinsohn step in to the octagon lol

Stacey is too big, too fast, too strong, too GOOD

Sadds The Gr8
01-04-2012, 12:28 AM
I don't mind showing a bit of bias, but the dicksucking that Stacey King does is annoying as ****. I can't stand him, and alot of the other announcers. Be more professional.

gaughan333
01-04-2012, 12:31 AM
Stacey's job is to announce bulls games. Bulls' fans love him. He is doing his job just fine.

John Walls Era
01-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Stacey King has three rings...

This thread is invalid

asik and destroy...

bye

Tom Heinsohn has 8

Must mean hes way better.

Young and Stupid
01-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Okay, so it appears that I'm in the minority. I guess that effectively answers all of my questions.

Also: It's likely that the announcers I usually listen to (Ian Eagle, Marv Albert, Kenny Albert, Mark Jackson, Mike Breen, Gus Johnson) are more impartial because they also do national broadcasts. Makes sense.

NSJ
01-04-2012, 12:33 AM
I don't mind showing a bit of bias, but the dicksucking that Stacey King does is annoying as ****. I can't stand him, and alot of the other announcers. Be more professional.

I can see where you're coming from but I feel it's within their job parameter to root for the squad they work for.

effen5
01-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Okay, so it appears that I'm in the minority. I guess that effectively answers all of my questions.

Also: It's likely that the announcers I usually listen to (Ian Eagle, Marv Albert, Kenny Albert, Mark Jackson, Mike Breen, Gus Johnson) are more impartial because they also do national broadcasts. Makes sense.

Honestly,

My favorite announcer is Steve Kerr...but I am a biased towards him.

KH12
01-04-2012, 12:35 AM
If you're scared, go buy a dog.

jimbobjarree
01-04-2012, 12:36 AM
hell no, **** league pass. These guys are employed to please their own markets, so I hope they solely talk about their own teams.

Although watching the other announcers when your team plays certain teams is really rough going, especially when your team sucks a lot like mine does.

gaughan333
01-04-2012, 12:41 AM
If you're scared, go buy a dog.

I already said that

Phenomenonsense
01-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Kelser and Blaha are very impartial. Even on obviously bad calls they say no more than "Looked like that might have been a walk" or "He may have gotten away with X" and move on. I prefer impartiality myself. I actually like this Bulls team, but I cannot watch games with their announcers because they're just so blah.

gaughan333
01-04-2012, 12:48 AM
I think he is a lot like Hawk for the White Sox. If it's not your team, you're gonna watch on mute.

DaBear
01-04-2012, 12:49 AM
If it's annoying, mute the god damn tv. Stacey King is rooting for his team and pleasing the Bulls fan base. He could give a flying **** if the opposing teams fans are getting mad at him being happy for his team.

Bravo95
01-04-2012, 12:52 AM
I can't say yes because the Hawks radio play-by-play guy is Steve Holman and he takes personal shots at opposing players, teams, coaches, and cities every game and I love it. :laugh2:

thebet
01-04-2012, 12:56 AM

Some of you guys are profoundly naive. There is no professionalism involved with announcing, other than,of course, respecting the crew, producers, and co-workers. There is no "guideline" addressing how to act during a game.

Please understand that broadcasting is a game of viewership and money. Announcers are paid by television stations or the organizations in which they work for (espn, etc..) Stacey King draws viewers because he is a local announcer passionate about the team he announcers for. Announcers on ESPN can't act the way Stacey King does because they HAVE to appeal to every fan base. And its not because of "professionalism" its because of viewership. They know who will be watching and cant sacrifice upsetting one fan base. That means less viewers and less money.

Ladies Man
01-04-2012, 01:04 AM
If he was on ESPN commentating the game then I agree with you. But King is great covering the Bulls and he is very exciting for us Bulls fans. He doesn't get paid to say how great the opposition is. Whatever team you follow I feel bad that you probably listen to guys who sound like they aren't supporting your team 100%. Thats what Stacey does.

njnets
01-04-2012, 01:08 AM
announcers should never say their support for the team, but its almost impossible not to. the local channels that call the games are meant for the people that like the team. if the announcers kept praising the visitors, he would be hated.

national games called are usually more impartial because the announcers do not call that teams games all year (there are exceptions, like buck and aikman, but im discussing the majority).

i believe an announcer can show favoritism to the local team and still be good at the same time. as long as that announcers acknowledges a good play or whatever by the visitors, i think they are doing their job very well. i never mind it when a local announcer says something nice about the other team when it is deserving.

biased announcing will always happen because people are not perfect. limiting it is the key.

topdog
01-04-2012, 01:08 AM
To each their own. They are the home team's commentators so there is nothing wrong with showing support HOWEVER I enjoyed listening to the Spurs broadcast team last night because while they did say "we" an awful lot in reference to the Spurs, I also felt like they were a bit more objective with reference to foul calls and good plays by EITHER team.

Wade>You
01-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Clearly you never watched a Miami home game.I'm sure by now a lot of people have watched a Miami home game, and our announcers are not biased homers. They actually praise the other team/players and apologizes for the refs or makes up some excuse when the Heat get a bad call. That is all.

abe_froman
01-04-2012, 02:55 AM
why should they be? they hold no journalistic creds(thus not bound by a code of ethics),they're representative of the organization(why pay someone who's not gonna talk you up?),and who's audience is the fanbase....yes,many of you like to watch feeds of games that arent your fav team and thus you not liking what they say is thats your fault,not theirs.(as you arent the ones they are catering to)

i'm more surprised at how naive some of you people are thinking they are there to placate you non fans instead of the people who they depend on for their jobs

Cal827
01-04-2012, 02:58 AM
This brings up other questions... Shouldn't the Referees be impartial ? :D

There is some acceptable bias... but these commentators are on D-Roses **** so tightly you would think they used crazy glue.

Now I understand why some Bulls fans are so sensitive when people critique their players :D

CityofTreez
01-04-2012, 03:03 AM
Have you ever seen Tommy boy?

I hope you're implying the OP ate Paint Chips (as a kid).

Blah Blah Blah
01-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Preface: This thread was sparked by Stacey King's nonsense. It's disgusting.

I've long been baffled by the lack of objectivity amongst many of the league's regional broadcasts. I had always noticed it, but it became more apparent when I began watching more games on NBA League Pass.

Apparently, I've been spoiled by the broadcasts of the teams I happen to watch most (the Nets and the Knicks). I was under the impression that all announcers strived to remain objective, fair and impartial; but the more I listened to other announcers, the more I realized how rare it was. I was actually curious enough about this topic that I questioned Michael Kay (I interned at 1050 ESPN) about it. He couldn't give me a definitive answer on why it seemed that the majority of broadcasts (I asked him about basketball, not baseball) failed to uphold a sense of objectivity.

I've tried to distinguish if there was some semblance of a breakdown of broadcasts that were objective versus those that were not. Being the snobby New Yorker that I am, I hypothesized that it might be a northeast or coastal thing. Then I remembered that the Celtics' announcers are among the worst in the league. I did, however, realize that the Clippers and Lakers broadcasts did a pretty good job of remaining impartial. As a result, it appeared that it could be resigned to the major media markets (although it would seem that Chicago and Dallas would be included in this group).

Anyway, I'd like to hear PSD's answer to a few questions: (1) Can you think of a reason why (it appears that) New York and LA broadcasts are the only ones that remain objective and fair? Or are there other broadcasts that do a good job of being impartial? Can we determine some sort of pattern? What dictates that a broadcast hold itself to that standard? (2) Shouldn't every announcer strive to be impartial and fair? Isn't that part of what makes a good broadcast? I was under the impression that objectivity and professionalism went hand-in-hand. (3) Are there any of you that prefer that your announcers act as fans? If so, why?

Edit: I'm less complaining and more trying to understand how others view the issue. I have no problem being in the minority, I'd just like to hear others' opinions.

yea, i've listened to my fair share of knicks/lakers games as well and no, they are not objective/fair all the time and also show bias. But since you are a fan of the knicks, you won't see that. All the local commentators show bias to their own teams, ur knicks included.

Blah Blah Blah
01-04-2012, 03:13 AM
I'm sure by now a lot of people have watched a Miami home game, and our announcers are not biased homers. They actually praise the other team/players and apologizes for the refs or makes up some excuse when the Heat get a bad call. That is all.

you're joking right? if not then :facepalm: your commentators are f'n horrible to a non heat fan (fans of a team won't notice the extreme biases as much as outside fans).

metsbulls1025
01-04-2012, 03:40 AM
I hope you're implying the OP ate Paint Chips (as a kid).

Here comes the meat wagon.

SportsFanatic10
01-04-2012, 04:10 AM
you're joking right? if not then :facepalm: your commentators are f'n horrible to a non heat fan (fans of a team won't notice the extreme biases as much as outside fans).

stacey king makes bulls games unwatchable. hes pretty much the worst commentator in the league.

SportsFanatic10
01-04-2012, 04:11 AM
I'm sure by now a lot of people have watched a Miami home game, and our announcers are not biased homers. They actually praise the other team/players and apologizes for the refs or makes up some excuse when the Heat get a bad call. That is all.

exactly. eric and tony are very professional.

NetsPaint
01-04-2012, 04:37 AM
I used to dislike Stacey King, thought he was terrible, but now I think he's hilarious. The game against the Hawks I noticed he actually did bring some insight too, so he's fine to me.

The Celtics commentary, at least by one of them, the former Celtic, is downright dreadful. He never thinks the Celtics do anything wrong.

Commentator 1: Where's the foul?!

Commentator 2: Right there.

Commentator 1: Where?

Yeah...

MJ-BULLS
01-04-2012, 04:46 AM
I used to dislike Stacey King, thought he was terrible, but now I think he's hilarious. The game against the Hawks I noticed he actually did bring some insight too, so he's fine to me.

The Celtics commentary, at least by one them, the former Celtic, is downright dreadful. He never thinks the Celtics do anything wrong.

Commentator 1: Where's the foul?!

Commentator 2: Right there.

Commentator 1: Where?

Yeah...

as an outsider fan, its great to see somebody gets the picture. He really is a good broadcaster.

TopsyTurvy
01-04-2012, 04:47 AM
As a die hard Bulls fan and season ticket holder, I was really hoping you had a problem with Neil Funk - the other commentator. He should have been gone years ago. :shrug:

King is very similar to nearly every 'home team color commentator' in the league. League Pass or watching games on NBA TV demonstrate that very quickly/clearly.

Bulls_fan90
01-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Why you mad though? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeKSm3ojjp8&feature=related)

Lidz
01-04-2012, 05:53 AM

I was about to bring this up but wanted to make sure nobody did first. When he said that he seemed like a fan that won a contest and was able to call the game and not an announcer. Weird to me because out of all the years i've had league pass and watched different games I don't think i've heard another announce say something to that extent. And it wasn't just what he said, because what he said was true, it's how he said it.

t2a2e9j12
01-04-2012, 06:58 AM
The announcers can route for whatever team they want and even be a bit biased but they need to be honest about it. A foul is a foul and a penalty is a penalty and so on and so fourth. When they are clearly wrong or saying something that is total bull that is very annoying

jp611
01-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Stacey King is a boss... Best announcer ever, guys hilarious

Lakerfan In NY
01-04-2012, 10:32 AM
If they should be Impartial than the boston celtics announcer has to go...Thats a Tommy point right there LOL...But they shouldn't be they represent the beat of the team. I rather an announcer like a fan.

IndyRealist
01-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Regional broadcasters work for the team, not the nba directly. If the announcers for bad teams were objective about their team they'd get fired.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Oh my god you don't like a teams announcer that you don't have to watch. What are we going to do?

Stacey King is the **** by the way.

YoungOne
01-04-2012, 10:59 AM
It's only bad when it's on NBA TV, because its for everybody.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-04-2012, 11:00 AM
stacey king makes bulls games unwatchable. hes pretty much the worst commentator in the league.

Then don't watch. Pretty simple. He's loved by most if not all Bulls fans.

YoungOne
01-04-2012, 11:06 AM
too bad u cant choose the broadcasting network on league pass..
then you would have at least the choice between two homer-sides..

YoungOne
01-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Then don't watch. Pretty simple. He's loved by most if not all Bulls fans.

weak argument, if u payed for League pass you want to see all the games...

king4day
01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't think they should be impartial but I hate when you hear opposing announcers complain about every little thing that has not gone their teams way.
The Suns announcers will state if something didn't seem right but they don't harp on it and don't sound whiny.
I know 2 NBA team announcers for 100% sure are extremely bias (like listening to 2 10 year olds calling a game, but crying as they do it as if there toys are being taken away) that I have to mute my TV and just listen to music over it. I won't say who they are for the sake of hurting fans' feelings or starting an unnecessary argument.

tcav701
01-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Tommy Heinson makes it difficult for me to watch Celtic games. I love when Gorman calls him out on his blantant homerism but he has become no diffrent than the annoying fan complaining about every call.

I really enjoyed Tommy about 7-8 years ago when he was given Tommy points to Waltaaahhhh. But now I just get pissed when he speaks.

Daunter
01-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Umm... he is a Bulls announcer..On the Chicago Bulls networks....

This

PhillyFaninLA
01-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Announcers doing national games should be impartial but team announcers should not. They should be professional and not take cheap shots at the other team but should get excited with a great play from the team paying them.

Think of it this way:

Payed by TBS, ESPN, ABC or some other source to call a national game impartial

Payed by team or local network then you can be partial but not talking negative about other teams

IndyRealist
01-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Announcers doing national games should be impartial but team announcers should not. They should be professional and not take cheap shots at the other team but should get excited with a great play from the team paying them.

Think of it this way:

Payed by TBS, ESPN, ABC or some other source to call a national game impartial

Payed by team or local network then you can be partial but not talking negative about other teams

I'm not even sure about national announcers. These guys are paid to have informed opinions.

uptown0364
01-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Hawk Harrelson, Harry Carey, Jack Brickhouse, Ron Santo, Johnny Red Kerr.....all of our announcers are like Stacey King in that you can tell they actually care about the team and let it show through their commentary. Some of these guys have become bigger legends than the players, so I can't say I blame them. I loved Ron Santo and I love Stacey King!

Pierzynski4Prez
01-04-2012, 11:34 AM

Oh I see. The Bulls should either fire their color commentary guy or tell him to tone it down because the non-locals who have league pass don't like to listen to him. I'm sure the bulls organization will be right on that. But yet my argument is weak.

mavwar53
01-04-2012, 11:48 AM
These announcers are paid by the team that they work for, do you really think they are going to be unbiased?

Sly Guy
01-04-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't mind them rooting for a team, what bothers me is when they openly question the officials about wrong calls when they were in fact correct. The announcers are there to sell the game of basketball, not their home team. It does a disservice to new fans of the game when they think calls are made incorrectly when in fact they are not.

Besides, blatant homerism is annoying, even when it's homerism of your own team.

DaBUU
01-04-2012, 12:00 PM
We love Stacey King in Chicago, and since he's a Chicago announcer, it seems to be working well for all of us. you people in here hate everything, bunch of haters.

LGhost
01-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Who is that masked man?

effen5
01-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Weak argument, you are paying for the League Pass knowingly that you are getting homer announcers for each games.

effen5
01-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I don't mind them rooting for a team, what bothers me is when they openly question the officials about wrong calls when they were in fact correct. The announcers are there to sell the game of basketball, not their home team. It does a disservice to new fans of the game when they think calls are made incorrectly when in fact they are not.

Besides, blatant homerism is annoying, even when it's homerism of your own team.

Umm did you not see that last foul on Luol Deng of the second to the last play of the game?

That was a horrific call.

lavilevi23
01-04-2012, 12:16 PM

We have the most un-biaesed commetors in the NBA probably. If I wasn't a HEAT fan and I'd watch them commet a game for the 1st time without any1 telling me who they were commeting for, I'd have a really hard time telling to which team they belong. I bet you never watched a heat game on sun sports. :confused:

JIDsanity
01-04-2012, 12:17 PM
He is so bias it's funny. It makes it a good experience though. Same can be said for Cavs announcers.

northsider
01-04-2012, 12:20 PM
We have the most un-biaesed commetors in the NBA probably. If I wasn't a HEAT fan and I'd watch them commet a game for the 1st time without any1 telling me who they were commeting for, I'd have a really hard time telling to which team they belong. I bet you never watched a heat game on sun sports. :confused:

LOL This is a joke right? This isn't like some secret he just came up with everyone knows the Heat announcers are just as bias and at times worse then any other announcers in the league.

The thing is I don't care cause they are the Heat announcers.

To me I just don't want to watch a national broadcast with bias announcers and even then it really doesn't bother me cause it is their opinion. I could give a **** less if they don't like so and so or a team.

lavilevi23
01-04-2012, 12:21 PM
It sounded as if the Bulls announcer was tapping Asik's *** after every home game seriously. It was becoming hilarious how every little thing he did he acted as if he won the game already. Never seen any1 riding any players dick so hard in my life.

northsider
01-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Thats cause every player on that court for our team was horrid last night until Asik came out and actually looked like a ball player on the court. He was vital last night cause he helped get things rolling and is the least likely guy you would think to do so.

lavilevi23
01-04-2012, 12:23 PM
LOL This is a joke right? This isn't like some secret he just came up with everyone knows the Heat announcers are just as bias and at times worse then any other announcers in the league.

The thing is I don't care cause they are the Heat announcers.

To me I just don't want to watch a national broadcast with bias announcers and even then it really doesn't bother me cause it is their opinion. I could give a **** less if they don't like so and so or a team.

So I guess Rose - BETTER, FASTER , STRONGER, QUICKER, HARDER, DEEPER, FCK ME ROSE - is very unbias and not homerish at all. Gotcha ;)

northsider
01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
So I guess Rose - BETTER, FASTER , STRONGER, QUICKER, HARDER, DEEPER, FCK ME ROSE - is very unbias and not homerish at all. Gotcha ;)

I never said our announcers weren't bias cause Stacey King is a Bulls homer. I was commenting on your insane notion the Heat announcers were the best which is hilarious.

I also don't get bothered by it cause its that teams announcers.

Sly Guy
01-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Umm did you not see that last foul on Luol Deng of the second to the last play of the game?

That was a horrific call.

not talking any specifics, cuz I didn't see the game you're talking about. I'm actually speaking more from experience from my raps' announcers, and the random out of market games I get to watch.

pd1dish
01-04-2012, 12:36 PM
why would an announcer have to be impartial? unless you're a TNT announcer, you should be a homer. when im watching a Chicago game on WGN, it should be a homer Chicago announcer. thats what i want to hear. i want to listen to an announcer that favors my team and is celebrating Rose's amazing plays along with me. or if the local FSN channel is carrying the Cavs (since i live in Columbus, OH), then it should be Cavs announcers, like it is now.

on the other side, i want my announcers to be honest. i dont want them being such a homer that it causes extreme bias. although, Stacie King says some outrageous things sometimes, but I still love him just like the Cavs fans love that annoying, obnoxious announcer theyve got.

Vincent
01-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Stacey King is wildly entertaining. Fans like him because he basically says what the general fan population (homers) are thinking throughout the game. And his jokes are hilarious.

Plus, his calls on Derrick add to the excitement.

But on a National broadcast, I much rather have a non-bias viewpoint. Hubie Brown, Steve Kerr, and Mike Fratillo (sp?) are pretty great to me.

I think Nets fans are really lucky with the broadcast team that they have, but I'm perfectly happy with Stacey shouting on the top of his lungs when the Bulls make big plays. I can see how other fans (outside Bulls fans) can find him annoying. Personally, I find a ton of the other broadcasters annoying too :P

theheatles
01-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Clearly you never watched a Miami home game.

huh????? wtf are you talking about? eric reid and coach fiorentino are the least bias home announcers in the league, it pisses me off how neutral they are sometimes

theheatles
01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
stacey king is terrible because even if the ball would clearly go out of bounds off a bulls player he would still complain and whine...it's fine to get crazy and excited about when the bulls make shots or a play but he's just ridiculous with cut and dry plays that rightfully go against the bulls

D-Leethal
01-04-2012, 06:31 PM
I have noticed this too before as a Knick fan. We have Breen who is a national lead commentator so I see where it comes naturally for him, but even Clyde you hear criticize the Knicks all the time, praise things the other team does well, and really comes off as more critical of the team than a home...

Listening to Heat games is ridiculous, the old Cavs guy who I think is still there was bad, Heinsohn in Boston is bad with that too

Most guys from the crappy teams are impartial. Its almost like the announcers get humbled when the team stinks and turn into Rex Ryan when the team is great

ChicagoRox
01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Well, last night I listened to the Hawks announcers. And they were a little bit bias. But that is truly expected because it is there home station. The best was to hear how upbeat they were when they were up by 19 and to hear there cofidence die as the game came closer to the end. "Harford blocks Rose, no it went in." Lol. I still think they did a good job overall. If your a major network ABC, TNT, and ESPN, they shouldn't be baised but If you want a different and fun experience listen to the other teams station.

kilgore2345
01-05-2012, 01:44 AM
stacey king is terrible because even if the ball would clearly go out of bounds off a bulls player he would still complain and whine...it's fine to get crazy and excited about when the bulls make shots or a play but he's just ridiculous with cut and dry plays that rightfully go against the bulls

Why do you really care? What isn't connecting with you about what it means to have a homer broadcaster on a hometown sports channel broadcasting a hometown sports team? You have a FAN with his own idiosyncrasies broadcasting for his team - which, might I add is being paid to be this weird for the amusement of like-minded fans. The package isn't marketed to you the Heat fan - it is marketed to us. The professionalism at play here isn't of some unbiased stiff Marv Albert sound-a-like, BUT a fan that describes something that other fans feel about players and the team. Are you so dense and thin skinned that it is completely outside the realm of possibility that there exists broadcasters that care about some other team than the Heat?

What really offends me about your post and others like it in this thread isn't the claim that YOUR team's broadcasters aren't as bias or obnoxious. Instead, it is the complete stupidity of this argument because someone isn't catering to your precious princess needs, wants, whims, and desires. Deal with it.

Here, I got a simple lesson that you aren't obviously bright enough to learn on your own. Chicago Bulls broadcasters are going to be bias for the Bulls - even on painfully obvious out-of-bounds calls. You have four viewing options, and you apparently have chosen the one that makes you look like a whiny second grade girl. First, the one you have chosen, you can watch the game and whine that Stacey King is the worst homer ever in the history of broadcasting. Second, you can watch the game with the sound on and deal with a homer broadcaster which so many other people have manage to do. Third, you can watch the game muted. Fourth, you can chose not to watch the game. Choose wisely princess.