PDA

View Full Version : Can the Heat win a title playing smallball?

Wade>You
01-03-2012, 07:03 PM
That seems to be Erik Spoelstra's plan, which I think is flawed, personally.

Small ball has never won in history and it's already taken a toll on their defense this season.

This is our depth at Center under Spo: Anthony/Bosh/Haslem or LeBron.

MFFL==FML
01-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Maybe if they trade Bosh, Anthony, and Haslem for Paul George and he is their 6'10 center. If not, I don't think so.

heyman321
01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes, they have too much sheer talent not to win, and i HATE miami. They only lost last year because to be honest, Lebron sucked huge dick.

The Suns would have won with smallball in 07 if Horry didn't tackle Nash and cause the Amare and Diaw suspensions.

Rndy
01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
I'd love to see Lebron Bunt.

Green_Monster
01-03-2012, 07:18 PM
The Heat can win with Small-Ball, but they would be better suited to not use it.

lavilevi23
01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Yes. It would be a lot easier though with a decent center.
Well, maybe we could get Camby or JO for the MLE next offseason....

MFFL==FML
01-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Yes. It would be a lot easier though with a decent center.
Well, maybe we could get Camby or JO for the MLE next offseason....

Just take Brendan Haywood from us for an autograph Paul George jersey and we'll call it a deal...

beliges
01-03-2012, 07:25 PM
The HEat can win with any type of ball. They have the most stacked team in the league. They should win. They shouldve won last season. But it just goes to show, just because you have the most talent, doesnt mean you can beat a good balanced team.

Mr_Jones
01-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Only if they get the best 6'10 player in the world

RLundi
01-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Yes they can do. They have two of the top 5 players in the league to make up for any lack of a big man.

davids22
01-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah, they were two games away from a title last year playing small ball. And this year they look like they've figured it out even more and have addressed their issues. The thing you have to remember about the Heat is that almost none of them are playing any position you can classify. When you have Wade, Lebron, Bosh, Haslem, and Battier out on the floor, you can't just classify them as who is playing the 1, who is playing the 2, etc.

So generally they are all going to play Miami Heat ball which is new because you have a bunch of 2/3/4s out on the floor playing who knows what position. Basically they go for mismiatches all over the floor, and are only undermanned down low, but that didn't stop them from getting past Boston and Chicago last year.

kingbrentg
01-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I'd love to see Lebron Bunt.

First thing I thought of :laugh2:

MFFL==FML
01-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Only if they get the best 6'10 player in the world

Paul George? He grew 2 inches you know. :)

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
no

Geargo Wallace
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Hells yes. Have you looked at the NBA lately?

Cubby
01-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Small ball could work against some teams, but not against teams with good bigs. Personally, running LeBron at the point and Battier at the 3/SF would cause more mismatches and would be better for their team, but Spo hasn't utilized it yet to my knowledge (if he has, feel free to correct me). Then again, they're the ****ing Heat. I'm sure it could work out, but I have my doubts. Like the OP says, I personally believe it to be flawed.

lavilevi23
01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
No real threats at center except for Dwight Howard is why it doesnt readlly matter who you play at center for the HEAT.

Mr_Jones
01-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Paul George? He grew 2 inches you know. :)

Yeah, I heard.
Paul George is 6'10.

:speechless:

lavilevi23
01-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Just take Brendan Haywood from us for an autograph Paul George jersey and we'll call it a deal...

No thaks. You could keep that fart.

Birdmannn
01-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Yeah, they were two games away from a title last year playing small ball. And this year they look like they've figured it out even more and have addressed their issues. The thing you have to remember about the Heat is that almost none of them are playing any position you can classify. When you have Wade, Lebron, Bosh, Haslem, and Battier out on the floor, you can't just classify them as who is playing the 1, who is playing the 2, etc.

So generally they are all going to play Miami Heat ball which is new because you have a bunch of 2/3/4s out on the floor playing who knows what position. Basically they go for mismiatches all over the floor, and are only undermanned down low, but that didn't stop them from getting past Boston and Chicago last year.

This is right on.

Spiderman 1nner
01-03-2012, 08:01 PM
I have no doubt they can win the east playing small ball, but i dont think they can beat the lakers, clippers, or thunder so it really all depends who their opponent is. Personally I think they should trade for Demarcus Cousins, if he's a loud mouth there, he has no business in the NBA

--23--
01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
small ball could help against some teams, but i don't see them winning a championship that way.

justinnum1
01-03-2012, 08:25 PM
yes, lebron at the 4 is big time advantage

Birdmannn
01-03-2012, 09:14 PM
yes, lebron at the 4 is big time advantage

That may be right but is it enough of an advantage compared to the disadvantage of Bosh at the 5?

blastmasta26
01-03-2012, 11:24 PM
With their overall talent and team defense, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Maybe Memphis with Randolph and Gasol or the Lakers with Bynum and Gasol could give them trouble in a potential Finals matchup. But anyone else they face in the postseason either doesn't have good enough big men or a good enough team around their big men to hurt Miami more when they are going small.

knickerbockerny
01-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Are they really playing small ball when lebron is at pf and bosh at center? I don't think so. Lebron has power forward size he is darn near 6'9" 260, and Bosh is a couple inches from 7ft.

mynameismo
01-04-2012, 12:20 AM
It all boils down to the match up.

Miami's main advantage is it's speed. And Lebron playing the 4 maximizes that advantage. If they can make stops and control the boards while playing small, then that's a sure win. But without stops and rebounds, it nullifies the speed because they will now be able to run in transition.

Sactown
01-04-2012, 12:55 AM
When your back court can meet up other teams bigs at the rim and block shots it's not really playing small...

Evolution23
01-04-2012, 12:57 AM
They can play small ball for small bursts, not an entire game or season.

Wade>You
01-04-2012, 01:52 AM
They can play small ball for small bursts, not an entire game or season.That's how I feel, but Spoelstra suffers from D'Antonitis and thinks other wise.

xbrackattackx
01-04-2012, 01:56 AM
I want spo to make Lebron PG when Mike miller gets better.

Slimsim
01-04-2012, 02:14 AM
the heats can win the title blind folded they are that good

LA_Raiders
01-04-2012, 02:28 AM
No, they will lose to NY or Chi.

Law25
01-04-2012, 05:07 AM
If they make it out the East I dont see them winning unless the refs give Wade 16ft attemps a game j/k But being serious Lakers, Thunder, Memphis, and maybe even Clippers will be to dominate inside. Small ball just dosent win. The Suns tried is with primed Nash, Stat, and Marion but couldnt pass the Spurs or Mavs becuase deep in the playoffs when legs get tired,and games are more phyical than the game slows down the small ball approach suffers. Last year Finals Lebron had dead legs becuase of this.

kdspurman
01-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Yes, they have too much sheer talent not to win, and i HATE miami. They only lost last year because to be honest, Lebron sucked huge dick.

The Suns would have won with smallball in 07 if Horry didn't tackle Nash and cause the Amare and Diaw suspensions.

omg lol tackled?? really? :rolleyes: man some people need a clue... Nash admittedly flopped. Seriously time to get over that...

stfN
01-04-2012, 11:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LT_C7o5ZGM

Flopped? Are u ******* kidding me?

nycericanguy
01-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Lets be honest, MIA should win the title every year unless a few other superstars find a way to team up, and thats just hard to do.

They CAN & SHOULD win, Lebron is bigger than alot of PF's and even some Centers, so its not that small of a team.

It will come down to whether MIA, more specifically Lebron can handle the spotlight... but they can and will win with any type of lineup, they just have far and away more talent than anyone else.

ombada
01-04-2012, 11:51 AM
With their overall talent and team defense, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Maybe Memphis with Randolph and Gasol or the Lakers with Bynum and Gasol could give them trouble in a potential Finals matchup. But anyone else they face in the postseason either doesn't have good enough big men or a good enough team around their big men to hurt Miami more when they are going small.

I dont mean to sound homerish, but the Pacers match up really well against them, and could easily see them in the second round of the playoffs (if they make it that far)

They have Hibbert and West down low who Miami would have to worry about. they play the Heat tonight, so we will get an idea of how that match-up will play out.

ChiSox219
01-25-2012, 09:31 PM
They got killed playing small in game 1 of the ecf

justinnum1
01-25-2012, 09:42 PM
They got killed playing small in game 1 of the ecf

And what happened in games 2-5:confused:

Heat did fine with a bosh/haslem front court and that was haslem at about 70%

ChiSox219
01-25-2012, 09:56 PM
And what happened in games 2-5:confused:

Heat did fine with a bosh/haslem front court and that was haslem at about 70%