PDA

View Full Version : Can Kevin Love play Center?

Jeffy25
01-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Okay, I am a baseball nut, so I admit ignorance to the NBA. But my friends and I are having debate. Would Kevin Love be a successful center in the NBA if forced to man the position?

It started with the discussion if Kevin Love and Blake Griffin were traded to the same team, who would man center?

Raps18-19 Champ
01-03-2012, 12:07 AM
You'd probably put Kevin Love at C if he was teamed up with Blake.

But I wouldn't want to put him at C everyday.

Hellcrooner
01-03-2012, 12:10 AM
"can" He ?Yes.

Would he be ok at it ? Yes

Would he be good at it? No.

And the answer to your question is, i woudl try to make one of them play Sf .

twin4life
01-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Darko has been playing better. So that helps knowing that we have an option with going small out there with Love at C or big with Darko

Jeffy25
01-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Would you basically be wasting some of his better qualities by making him stay low?

Birdmannn
Not indefinitely. He can slide to the 5 during the game depending on match ups but you don't want to put him as a full time center.

Raps18-19 Champ
"can" He ?Yes.

Would he be ok at it ? Yes

Would he be good at it? No.

And the answer to your question is, i woudl try to make one of them play Sf .

Are you crazy?

Neither are good defenders. Imagine them at SF. They would get beat on the dribble.

Sactown
01-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Okay, I am a baseball nut, so I admit ignorance to the NBA. But my friends and I are having debate. Would Kevin Love be a successful center in the NBA if forced to man the position?

It started with the discussion if Kevin Love and Blake Griffin were traded to the same team, who would man center?

I would say it would be difficult for him to consistently play the center spot without a big PF

Raps18-19 Champ
Would you basically be wasting some of his better qualities by making him stay low?

Both aren't known to be the greatest of defenders. But at C, they wouldn't have to worry as much.

But one of Love's biggest advantage as a big man is his 3 point shot. If he was playing C, it would limit his advantage.

MJ-BULLS
He could certainly play center in my opinion. But he is better suited for the power forward position. it really all depends what the center does of the team he is currently on, if that center is a good defensive center, you can go right ahead and plug him in the power forward position.

but yes, he can play C. he would actually be a tough matchup against other opposing centers since he is a good shooter.

D1JM
01-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Love is perfect to play center in FIBA but not in the NBA

PurpleJesus
Love plays C for the wolves when opponents go small, and it works out fine...but there is no way he could handle big minutes there when the opponent has a legit center out there.

Hawkeye15
Love can play either frontcourt position, as long as he has a coach like Adelman who understands how to use him correctly. His defensive numbers are better at C actually, but he is far better this season, so I will hold my evaluation until 10-20 games get played.

Hellcrooner
01-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Are you crazy?

Neither are good defenders. Imagine them at SF. They would get beat on the dribble.

And at center they would get outweighted and overpowered, neither is strong enough to deal with heavy weighted dudes as Howard, Bynum or Marc Gasol.

blastmasta26
01-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Both aren't known to be the greatest of defenders. But at C, they wouldn't have to worry as much.

But one of Love's biggest advantage as a big man is his 3 point shot. If he was playing C, it would limit his advantage.
Why would they not have to worry as much as centers? I know they would have to deal with athletic SFs sho play on the perimeter, but wouldn't their defense allow a lot of easy baskets inside at center?

Iodine
01-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Defends on the team style and coach and some other variables.

In a traditional sense no, but in a spread out, fast, and ball movement based offense and a coach who can get the players to buy into help D (and love is improved on his own D), it would be interesting to see.

Of course that required management to be creative and smart at the same time, so were more likely for JB to badmouth TMac and Hakeem in the same post

Raps18-19 Champ
01-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Why would they not have to worry as much as centers? I know they would have to deal with athletic SFs sho play on the perimeter, but wouldn't their defense allow a lot of easy baskets inside at center?

Outside of Howard, Gasol, Bynum, Hibbert, DeAndre and Bogut, I believe they can hold their own playing C. But playing SF, they would get beat off the dribble.

Also, both are great rebounders. Playing SF would greatly limit their chances at rebounds.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-03-2012, 12:22 AM
And at center they would get outweighted and overpowered, neither is strong enough to deal with heavy weighted dudes as Howard, Bynum or Marc Gasol.

Their biggest strength is rebounding. Playing one at SF would be taking that away.

Hellcrooner
01-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Their biggest strength is rebounding. Playing one at SF would be taking that away.

On the contrary, how many 10 rpg Sf are out there right now?

CityofTreez
01-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Love can play either frontcourt position, as long as he has a coach like Adelman who understands how to use him correctly. His defensive numbers are better at C actually, but he is far better this season, so I will hold my evaluation until 10-20 games get played.

I agree.

Adelman's most memorable coaching was how he used Vlade Divac while he was with the Kings. Vlade was bigger, but Love (as of late) has shown to be somewhat similar. Great shooter, rebounds, and one of the better PF/C passers in the game right now.

So I would give Love the benefit of the doubt and say "Yes" he can play Center.

thekmp211
01-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Defends on the team style and coach and some other variables.

In a traditional sense no, but in a spread out, fast, and ball movement based offense and a coach who can get the players to buy into help D (and love is improved on his own D), it would be interesting to see.

Of course that required management to be creative and smart at the same time, so were more likely for JB to badmouth TMac and Hakeem in the same post

yes he could definitely be dangerous playing against second unit centers or in a small-ball lineup. he's just not tall, long, or explosive enough to deal with the real big guys down low, and you wouldn't want him getting in foul trouble trying to get it done.

i would never start him at center, but he could be effective in spurts there. i think he's been the best 4 in the game so far this season.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-03-2012, 12:28 AM
On the contrary, how many 10 rpg Sf are out there right now?

If Love played SF, he'd be far away from the basket. He'd probably foul a lot more too because he'd be late on defense. His offense would take a hit because it would be SFs guareding him, who are used to guarding players at the perimeter, instead of PF or C's.

Jeffy25
01-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Next question, if you had Josh Smith and Blake Griffin, who would you put at center?

Hellcrooner
01-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Next question, if you had Josh Smith and Blake Griffin, who would you put at center?

Kirk hinrich or rubio, obviously.

CityofTreez
01-03-2012, 12:45 AM

Josh Smith on the weekdays, and Blake Griffin on the weekends.

Iodine
01-03-2012, 12:53 AM
Josh Smith at Center would get Raped so damn hard :laugh2:

CityofTreez
01-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Jeffy, more questions. come on!

MJ-BULLS
01-03-2012, 01:03 AM

Josh Smith wouldn't do good at center. I will probably go with Blake Griffin, he seems more of a power strength type guy.

MrfadeawayJB
01-03-2012, 01:21 AM
He can play Center effectively, but he is much better suited to be a versatile 4-man who can stretch the defense

MrfadeawayJB
01-03-2012, 01:22 AM

Josh Smith is a undersized 4 man. He even plays the 3 sometimes

WolvesJagsOs
01-03-2012, 01:47 AM
@Raps08-09 Champ

My bad, im half asleep, thought you said Klove was a bad defender.

SportsAndrew25
01-03-2012, 01:53 AM
I think he would be capable.

Jeffy25
01-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Josh Smith wouldn't do good at center. I will probably go with Blake Griffin, he seems more of a power strength type guy.

So a weak team (bad in basically every way) but has Blake Griffin and Josh Smith and no other bigs really (zydrunas ilgauskas on the bench) and no real small forwards.

Would it be more wise to play Griffin C and Smith PF, or Griffin PF and Smith SF?

I know this is going way off topic, but now I am more so just curious.

shep33
01-03-2012, 03:58 AM
I don't know in all honesty. If they're playing the Magic or Lakers, that means he guards Dwight or Bynum.

It depends on the situation

Supa
01-03-2012, 04:45 AM
Although listed at 6'10", he is actually only 6'7.75", fine for a shooting power forward, but too much for him to play center at all time.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kevin-Love-1062/

---

5ass
01-03-2012, 05:27 AM
So a weak team (bad in basically every way) but has Blake Griffin and Josh Smith and no other bigs really (zydrunas ilgauskas on the bench) and no real small forwards.

Would it be more wise to play Griffin C and Smith PF, or Griffin PF and Smith SF?

this one, without a doubt. Smith plays SF a lot. He is capable of being a SF full time.

MJ-BULLS
01-03-2012, 05:35 AM

the second option for sure.

abe_froman
01-03-2012, 06:00 AM
to the original question-sure he could,probably not be as good as he is at pf but still good

and this-blake at pf and smith at sf.smith is a tweener f as it is and atl runs lineups with him at sf a good enough amount to know he'd do ok there full time

Chronz
01-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Individually both have been better off defending centers I think, but the team defense suffers if they are the last line of defense.

Love has more strength than he does quickness

Not as many easy shots as their lack of on ball defense would lead to. It may not be their man that scores but imagine how often the defense would break down with Love on an island.

Hellcrooner
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Individually both have been better off defending centers I think, but the team defense suffers if they are the last line of defense.

Love has more strength than he does quickness

Not as many easy shots as their lack of on ball defense would lead to. It may not be their man that scores but imagine how often the defense would break down with Love on an island.

Did you miss him losing 30 lbs this summer?

Chronz
01-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Did you miss him losing 30 lbs this summer?
So that brings him down to what? SF size and quickness? LOL

Again, Love has more strength than he does quickness.

lavilevi23
01-03-2012, 12:51 PM
No.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2012, 12:56 PM
So that brings him down to what? SF size and quickness? LOL

Again, Love has more strength than he does quickness.

oh for sure man. He is quicker now that he is lean, but his game is all power and IQ.

njnets
01-03-2012, 06:33 PM
you can put him at center for some stretches. dirk plays the center position for the mavs during some games.

its all about matchups. some teams play small while others like to play big.

he definitely has the size and strength to do it for some parts of a game, but not for a full season. it would wear him down and probably put him in foul trouble. he would have an offensive advantage but i would not want him protecting the basket. his offense is too valuable for taking fouls.

Green_Monster
01-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Me and a few friends were having the same disscusion. Execpt we disscused if he could be capable of holding his own at Center. I said NO, friends said YES. I got outnumbered but stuck with my answer. I think he's to small and wouldn't match up against some of the bigger Centers in the League.

rhymeratic
01-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Love COULD play Center. But he shouldn't on a team wanting to win a Championship someday. Simple as that.

It's not a hard concept T-Wolves fans. You're gonna have to trade your glut of Forwards for a legit Center. SOMEHOW you have to convince Sac-Town to give you DeMarcus Cousins. Or really think outside the box... Andrea Bargnani out in Toronto. I think Bargnani with Love and Rubio would be deadly.

5ass
01-03-2012, 07:28 PM
^no1 wants to see a frontcourt of love and bargnani. i think a good fit would be bogut. not sure if the wolves can get him though