PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Cousins: Should W's pursue him?

asandhu23
01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- The Sacramento Kings say DeMarcus Cousins has demanded a trade and has been told to stay away from the team.

Kings coach Paul Westphal released a statement before Sunday's game against New Orleans, saying when Cousins "continually, aggressively, lets it be known that he is unwilling/unable to embrace traveling in the same direction as his team, it cannot be ignored indefinitely."

Cousins' agent, John Greig, says he "has no idea what the Kings are doing" and didn't know the team excused him from Sunday's game until Westphal's announcement. Greig withheld any further comment.

The Kings drafted Cousins with the fifth overall pick in 2010 after he spent one season at Kentucky. The 21-year-old Cousins is averaging 13 points and 11 rebounds per game this season.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/01/01/kings-cousins.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Big Man with skills. Should W's pursue him?

steveweve
01-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I say yes. I believe Jackson and the staff could easily control Cousins "idiocy" mentioned in the poll question haha. No doubt Cousins would be a huge upgrade and would take us to another level. He could be a great pickup.. A core of Curry Monta Lee and Cousins is knocking on the playoffs door ready to bash it down. Hopefully it goes through and we pick him up, we're in need of a starting center and our staff knows it. This is our opportunity, come on Jerry West! :)

likemystylez
01-01-2012, 10:00 PM
tuff call, IM wondering what cousins will demand. Hes a 21 yr old big man who has the talant to be an all star for the better part of the next decade.

I wouldnt mind picking him up on a baron davis type of deal.

ekpe udoh, brandon rush, and kwame brown for cousins and salmons?

steveweve
01-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Udoh, Thompson, 2 2nd rounders for Cousins

GSW 2012 CHAMPS
01-01-2012, 10:10 PM
tuff call, IM wondering what cousins will demand. Hes a 21 yr old big man who has the talant to be an all star for the better part of the next decade.

I wouldnt mind picking him up on a baron davis type of deal.

ekpe udoh, brandon rush, and kwame brown for cousins and salmons?

I don't think we are gonna be able to get him on a baron davis type deal because we are in the same division as him, when they trade him they probably don't want to play him 4 times a year.

Silent
01-01-2012, 10:13 PM
U dont have the assets to get Cousins you need a third team

curtcocaine
01-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I say we have to try to get him it would gives us the swag we need in the low post he plays hard

curtcocaine
01-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Ellis and Udoh for Jimmer and Cousins?

Silent
01-01-2012, 10:24 PM

:facepalm: They have Tyreke, The Kings would ask for a pf c or sf, No Guards

likemystylez
01-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I don't think we are gonna be able to get him on a baron davis type deal because we are in the same division as him, when they trade him they probably don't want to play him 4 times a year.

I dont think thats as common as the media talks about. I dont think teams are that concerned with it. Heck we traded mitch richmond to sacramento. Besides- demarcus cousins isnt that great of a player to alter the balance between the two teams.

likemystylez
01-01-2012, 10:28 PM
:facepalm: They have Tyreke, The Kings would ask for a pf c or sf, No Guards

are there any bog contracts the kings want to unload? Udoh, and dorell wright for cousins and someone?

likemystylez

Ummm I dont think so...

maybe if they throw in their first round pick this year we can talk

steveweve
U dont have the assets to get Cousins you need a third team

Wait..... We don't have Curry, Monta, Thompson, Udoh, Wright or Rush as trade value? Oh ok, yeah we need 3rd team guys :confused:

Silent
01-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Wait..... We don't have Curry, Monta, Thompson, Udoh, Wright or Rush as trade value? Oh ok, yeah we need 3rd team guys :confused:

Sorry should have made myself more clearer you don't have the Required pieces to get a deal done they Don't need Curry Or Monta Wright And Udoh would not be enough to land Cousins.

steveweve
01-01-2012, 10:46 PM
^^ Udoh is a PF and Wright is a SF incase you didn't know. And if your front office is to blind to see Lee's contract he can be a trading piece

Silent
01-01-2012, 10:51 PM
^^ Udoh is a PF and Wright is a SF incase you didn't know. And if your front office is to blind to see Lee's contract he can be a trading piece

Stop acting like a smart *** i know there positions

likemystylez
01-01-2012, 10:54 PM
yeah itd be a tuff trade without a 3rd team. the salarys just dont work out for anything thats even close to resembling the value that the kings would want.

If the kings had some big contracts they were trying to unload, that could help a lot... but the kings have no significant contracts on the payroll.

salmons, garcia are the more expensive players.

Monta is beast
01-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Stop acting like a smart *** i know there positions

Your the one who thinks your going to get allot in return for Cousins. He is a head case. He would destroy the chemistry on almost any team. Isn't he the one who just said "be loyal & stick with your team". You would be lucky to get a starter & a 1st round pick back form him.

steveweve
01-01-2012, 11:06 PM
^^ You said Kings would ask for PF,C,SF. I mentioned 3 players in those categories and you acted as if they'd be useless. You're not going to get much for Cousins, like someone mentioned above he can/will destroy the chemistry on about any team. Your acting as if your trying to get a star and picks for him.

MackShock
01-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Mibs is right...Cousins is hella immature and did say that..and now he's demanding a trade? No thanks...we have great chemistry going on here and we don't need anybody bringing it down.

lol, please
01-02-2012, 02:37 AM
Please make the next GDT so we can all recover from that loss. I didn't even get to watch it and it still bothers me :(
I am not sure if getting Cousins is the right move, but if Jerry West nods it, then I support it. I just want to win.

ninerrider80
01-02-2012, 03:20 AM
This is the baron like trade we need to make, hes very immature and is a headcase but thats y we hired mark jackson. Keep our core and give them peanuts (beadris? Udoh?) and continue to mold this young team under jacksons tutilage.

Lloyd Christmas
01-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Yes Cousins is a headcase, but he will net the Kings a legit return if they trade him.

Monta is beast
01-02-2012, 03:46 AM
Yes Cousins is a headcase, but he will net the Kings a legit return if they trade him.

I don't think so. Not many teams are going to want him. He's a headcase who will ruin the chemistry on 90% of the teams in the NBA.

ninerrider80
01-02-2012, 03:53 AM
If the kings do trade him they wont get much ala what the lakers got for lamar odom

The_Jamal
01-02-2012, 03:54 AM
I officially hate every fanbase on PSD.

IF we put Cousins on the trade block, we WOULD NOT trade him for junk like Udoh, Wright and picks.

BrandoCommando
01-02-2012, 05:25 AM
i would want him, only if we don't have to give up too much.

BrandoCommando
01-02-2012, 05:29 AM

IF we put Cousins on the trade block, we WOULD NOT trade him for junk like Udoh, Wright and picks.

Actually, Kings fans should be thrilled if they got Udoh, D Wright, and picks for Cousins.

robbnen#31
01-02-2012, 05:43 AM

Junk as in the guy taken 2 picks behind Cousins during the draft?

TrueFan420
01-02-2012, 06:30 AM

Junk... You'd be lucky to get that much for him. Yea Cousins has talent but the kid needs to grow up and is already considered a head case so teams will not payout high for him.

Monta is beast
01-02-2012, 06:32 AM
I would be surprised if he does get traded. The Kings probably think they could get a huge return for him & they wont. I can't think of one team that is desperate enough to risk the entire teams chemistry on one player. And for teams looking to build around someone, this is not the guy to do it.

MackShock
01-02-2012, 06:46 AM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Hours before Sacramento Kings coach Paul Westphal ordered DeMarcus Cousins to stay away from Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Hornets, the temperamental center had yet another shouting match with Westphal in the coach’s office, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Westphal and Cousins’ agent John Grieg are at odds over whether Cousins issued a actual trade demand – the coach said yes, the agent no – but a Kings player said he heard the center yelling that he wanted out of Sacramento, sources said.

“Trade me now,” Cousins was heard to yell after Saturday’s loss to the New York Knicks, a source told Y! Sports.

Before the Kings’ 96-80 victory over the Hornets Sunday, Westphal told reporters that Cousins requested trades on Dec. 24 and again after Saturday night’s loss to the Knicks. In a statement released by the Kings earlier Sunday, Westphal said he ordered Cousins to stay away from that evening’s game because Cousins “continually, aggressively, lets it be known that he is unwilling/unable to embrace traveling in the same direction as his team.”

Kings co-owner Joe Maloof and general manager Geoff Petrie said they will not trade Cousins, regardless of his wishes. Cousins, 21, is in the second year of a rookie contract paying him $3.6 million this season, and it would be tough for the Kings to get equal value for a talented player who already has a long history of throwing temper tantrums.

“We’re happy that he’s a King,” Maloof told Y! Sports. “But when a coach asks you to do something, you got to do it. We’re not trading him. …We have great expectations for him. It’s just one of those things that happens.

“Sooner or later he’ll understand what the NBA is about. Just get along with people. That’s all.”

Teams interested in Cousins have called the Kings, but none believe the team will seriously consider trading him so early in his career. Several rival executives expect the Kings will eventually make a coaching change and try a tougher style with Cousins.

“Once you saw that release only came from Westphal, that was a telltale sign that this was a coach venting and not a call to the league by management and ownership that they were trading Cousins,” one Eastern Conference executive told Y! Sports.

Cousins had nine points and 11 rebounds against the Knicks and asked Westphal afterward if he could meet with him. The two met in the coach’s office, a source said. Cousins had told reporters he wasn’t happy with the team’s offense. Westphal told Cousins in a private meeting Sunday morning that he wouldn’t be playing in the Hornets game, a source said.

Just last week, Cousins had another verbal altercation with Westphal after Westphal called him for a technical in practice, several sources said.

Cousins is an immensely talented young player, which is why the University of Kentucky and the Kings have tolerated his behavior over the past two seasons. The fifth overall pick in the 2010 draft pushed through a rookie season full of spectacular promise on the floor tempered with volatile, immature behavior on and off the court. The Kings disciplined Cousins several times for behavioral issues, and Cousins had run-ins with Sacramento coaches, including Westphal, former assistants Truck Robinson and Mario Elie, and strength-and-conditioning coach Daniel Shapiro. Cousins was also was suspended after a locker-room altercation with teammate Donte Greene last season after Greene didn’t pass him the ball for a potential game-winning shot in a loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder. At the time, Greene called Cousins “spoiled,” one source said, a reference to the franchise’s coddling of its young center.

“He’s selfish,” one source close to the team said of Cousins. “He’s always angry or clowning. He needs to change. The Kings have been great about covering things up for him, and his agent has been protecting him.

“He’s always miserable. He acts like he’s entitled.”

Some players are disillusioned with the constant drain of Cousins’ tantrums, sulking and absence of professionalism. “He’s a bully, and they let him get away with it,” one source said. “No one wants to deal with the guy.”

Cousins is averaging 13 points and 11.2 rebounds in four games. The Kings don’t doubt Cousins’ talent, but they want to see him become more professional.

“He’s passionate and he wants to win, but he just needs to learn how to control his actions,” Kings center Chuck Hayes said. “Some things are better left unsaid. And if you’re not feeling the system, the team, the players, don’t let your body language say it.”

Said Kings guard Tyreke Evans: “I’ve known DeMarcus for a long time and I want nothing but the best for him, but hopefully he can keep his head on straight and be a part of this team because we need him.”

The Kings next play Tuesday in Memphis. When asked if Cousins will play, Petrie said he will meet with him prior to the Kings’ flight on Monday and “go forward from there.”

“He just has to put away the childish things and start to grow up,” Petrie said. “Learn to be more professional. Learn to put in effort and time and grow as a player. We want to help him help himself and the team.”

The Kings are 2-3 this season. Prior to Sunday’s victory, Petrie was asked about Westphal’s performance as coach.

“I don’t think anyone is happy with the way we are playing,” Westphal said. “We have to play better. That’s what we are all working on.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ajt3K1WxKKY9jTyCalOt9GC8vLYF?slug=ys-demarcus_cousins_kings_010112

Yahoo sports NBA front page

MackShock
01-02-2012, 06:47 AM
selfish, is he..we dont need players like him here then..he really needs to learn to grow up.

killaT
01-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Cousins is a tremendous talent no doubt. Only 21, i certainly wouldnt mind making a run at him. I think Mark Jackson can keep his head straight....

Charles Jenkins and Ekpe Udoh for DeMarcus Cousins and Isaiah Thomas.

If we dont make a run at him now, Boston will guarantee..........

MackShock
01-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Cousins is a tremendous talent no doubt. Only 21, i certainly wouldnt mind making a run at him. I think Mark Jackson can keep his head straight....

Charles Jenkins and Ekpe Udoh for DeMarcus Cousins and Isaiah Thomas.

If we dont make a run at him now, Boston will guarantee..........

Dude, No to Cousins. Udoh is a bigger talent in my opinion. He is slowly adding to his offensive game, but it's coming along. KEEP UDOH. Thomas is also way too small. We have Ish Smith already.

They also arent getting rid of Jenkins, who Jackson and the FO are very high on, which is why they got him. They didn't waive their asset in Jeremy Lin to trade Charles Jenkins.

curtcocaine
01-02-2012, 09:44 AM
if we arnt smart enought to get im ima be pissed

Lloyd Christmas
01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
This reminds me of the Webber situation. We should give up whatever it takes to get him.

likemystylez
01-02-2012, 03:46 PM
This reminds me of the Webber situation. We should give up whatever it takes to get him.

I think he i worth pursuing. I'm not sure about whatever it takes though..... A 21 yr old center with the talent he has is going to have a lot of GMS interested though... despite the personality issues.

BrandoCommando
01-02-2012, 03:56 PM
cousins is a lil hoe. NO to cousins

iFYouSeekAmy
01-02-2012, 07:39 PM
We need to pursue him IMO. I honestly think that we can make a Baron deal out of this. However- LOL we have a situation here: (according to ESPN NBA trade machine) http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Jenkins, Thompson, and Tyler- Draft picks cannot be traded 30 days after they're signed.

Brown, C. Wright and McGuire- Free agents cannot be traded for 3 months after they've been signed.

Rush and Smith- Cannot be traded in a package with another players for 2 months since they're received in a trade/ claimed off waivers. They can be traded alone.

Maybe that was the old CBA requirements.. who knows, but a trade for Cousins would be great since his value is fairly low. We would only hope that in a few months, he will continue to be a headcase for the team.

Kdirt
01-02-2012, 07:58 PM
We dont have the pieces to land DMC. Id quit as a fan if we moved Monta and Klay/Udoh just isnt enough. Kings would get a better offer plus likely a nice pick which we dont have.

BKLYNpigeon
01-02-2012, 07:58 PM
this is going nowhere. the kings wouldnt trade him to the warriors.

GSW 2012 CHAMPS
01-02-2012, 10:59 PM
I dont think thats as common as the media talks about. I dont think teams are that concerned with it. Heck we traded mitch richmond to sacramento. Besides- demarcus cousins isnt that great of a player to alter the balance between the two teams.

Considering the trades we have made, do you really think that is a good example? Plus, Cousins has as much talent as any big he just needs to get his mind in the right place hell right now with his mind out of it isn't he averaging 13 and 11? I'm not comparing him to DLee, Monta, or Steph cause they are better than him right now at least but if we traded one of those 3 would you want to have to play them 4 times a year knowing they want to dominate you for trading him? I sure wouldn't so I would definitely ask for a lot more from a divisional opponent than someone else. My guess is Cousins goes to the East or out the pacific division.

steveweve
01-02-2012, 11:35 PM
^^ Nailed it.

Bayareaboy
01-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I think he doesn't leave and the coach is fired before they let him go. And if down the line they decide to give n and let him go he goes to a contender or an up and coming contender otherwise he's gonna cry his whole career away

TrueFan420
01-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Naw he is Hella dumb only way I see us making a move for him is if we get a great deal

mavwar53
01-03-2012, 01:08 AM
I don't think cousins would be a very good fit for this team considering he's a big headed fool and he's proven very little, I do like him as a player.

If I was to make a deal for him I'd make it Lee and Wright and a 2nd for Cousins, Salmons and Garcia.

I would like to keep Udoh as a defensive presence, also cause his offense is coming along pretty good I think.

A lineup of

Curry/Ish/Jenkins
Ellis/Thompson/Rush
Garcia/Salmons
Udoh/McGuire/Tyler
Cousins/Biedrins/Kwame

The one thing I would want to do is find a back up vet 4 incase we need McGuire to play some D on guys like LeBron or Melo.

But I'm not even completely sold on this deal, but I just know I'd rather not deal Udoh who is getting better offensively and is miles ahead defensively, and light years ahead mentally.

John408
01-03-2012, 02:19 AM
I'd give udoh only. Since he's already not with the team, they'll probably let him go for cheap.

Monta is beast
01-03-2012, 02:28 AM
I'd give udoh only. Since he's already not with the team, they'll probably let him go for cheap.

:facepalm:

sacgiants1213
01-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Petrie: We aren't trading DeMarcus.

well that was fun.

Geoff Petrie
01-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Petrie: We aren't trading DeMarcus.

well that was fun.

sfgiants5518 is correct. I did say that. And as a Princeton man, I always keep my word. DeMarcus has rejoined the team in Memphis and we look forward to his contributions to the team. Thank you for your interest in our immensely talented big man.

Monta is beast
01-03-2012, 08:54 PM
sfgiants5518 is correct. I did say that. And as a Princeton man, I always keep my word. DeMarcus has rejoined the team in Memphis and we look forward to his contributions to the team. Thank you for your interest in our immensely talented big man.

:facepalm:

Lloyd Christmas
01-03-2012, 08:57 PM

Haha. I like this guy.