PDA

View Full Version : Was Dallas the Perfect Situation for Chandlers Game?

Tony_Starks
12-30-2011, 03:26 PM
The more Im watching him play the more I see why he was so effective in Dallas and so regular everywhere else. Dallas was a team stacked with scorers so he basically just had to play the Ben Wallace role, any scoring was a bonus. Plus he had premier wing defenders in Stevenson and Marion to communicate with on pick and rolls. Plus he had a pg who knew how to keep an eye on him when he was roaming for the easy lob.

On the Knicks it seems more like they want him to be a one man defensive stopper and cover up everyone's defensive deficiencies....

penny421
12-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Dallas was the perfect team for Chandler and Chandler was the perfect player for Dallas.

shep33
12-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Yeah Dallas was perfect, but he'll be fine on the Knicks. Problem is nobody else plays D on that team. He can't do it by himself. I think Amare had 2 rebounds yesterday, that just can't happen. Chandler will be a great fit for NYK but everyone else has to buy in on that end of the floor.

Also Chandler was a beast for the Hornets, so he's no one hit wonder. Knicks are lucky to have a guy like him

RLundi
12-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Not necessarily. He just had a good point guard. Pair him with a point guard that loves to pass and can set him up for easy baskets and Chandler looks All-Star worthy.

Once Baron comes back, if he's motivated, he'll make Chandler look good again.

Lakers + Giants
12-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Once Dallas let him go I new they were in HUGE trouble. It's ****in hilarious how some mavs fans believe haywood can be as effective as Chandler was last year.

beasted86
12-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Knicks need a wing defender, and need to pray Baron Davis can play well.

DRose7
12-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Once Dallas let him go I new they were in HUGE trouble. It's ****in hilarious how some mavs fans believe haywood can be as effective as Chandler was last year.

Huh? Dude I dont think any mavs fan believes that...find me the person, and i'll kill him myself :horse:

Vikingfan84
12-30-2011, 04:01 PM
The more Im watching him play the more I see why he was so effective in Dallas and so regular everywhere else. Dallas was a team stacked with scorers so he basically just had to play the Ben Wallace role, any scoring was a bonus. Plus he had premier wing defenders in Stevenson and Marion to communicate with on pick and rolls. Plus he had a pg who knew how to keep an eye on him when he was roaming for the easy lob.

On the Knicks it seems more like they want him to be a one man defensive stopper and cover up everyone's defensive deficiencies....

The PERFECT fit for Tyson was with the Hornets with Chris Paul, not the Mavericks.

And here's the proof:
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/984/tyson-chandler

Rndy
12-30-2011, 04:04 PM
If I were the Knicks I'd start building around defense. PG,SG and back up roles all defensive role players. Although with their coach they will continue to get rid of players like Corey Brewer for 3 point players.

Tony_Starks
12-30-2011, 04:07 PM
If I were the Knicks I'd start building around defense. PG,SG and back up roles all defensive role players. Although with their coach they will continue to get rid of players like Corey Brewer for 3 point players.

I don't see why they didn't get Stevenson. Great defender who can knock down open three's. He could've been D'Antoni's new Raja Bell. PLUS he already played with Tyson. Seems like a no brainer......

GhostfaceDrilla
12-30-2011, 04:11 PM
But once Chandler leaves we let go of Bill Russell and WIlt Chamberlain combined...

1. Chandler was a great player with us. Outside of Dirk, he was clearly the MVP of the team.

2. With us, he had Stevenson, Kidd, Marion, Terry (was actually a decent defender last year), Haywood, and even Dirk was solid on D. All these guys played defense and Chandler was the perfect fit to lead the team. Outside of Chandler, no one plays D on NY. Amare tries every once in a while I guess but Melo never tries.

3. Notice how with New Orleans and Dallas, he had career years. Both teams had elite passing point guards in Paul and Kidd. He was a scrub in Charlotte with no PG and now he has to live with Toney Douglas and a not that great Baron Davis.

4. Chandler will be a good center with NY. He will be a good presence down low. However, he will not be the same player, or even remotely close to how he was with us. He certainly won't score as much either.

Not ragging on Chandler as he was a huge loss for us but if anyone thinks that with NY he is an All Star and a DPOY candidate and that he is gonna lead the Knicks as a top defensive team, they are out of their minds,

NY007
12-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Chandler will be fine the problem is we don't have a ****ing pg or sg for that matter.

ZHawk1123
12-30-2011, 04:15 PM
He'd be perfect on the Celtics or the Heat as well... Just sayin...

penny421
12-30-2011, 04:15 PM
The PERFECT fit for Tyson was with the Hornets with Chris Paul, not the Mavericks.

And here's the proof:
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/984/tyson-chandler

His per game stats were better in NO but he played more minutes.
His per 36mins stats and advanced stats were better in Dallas.

John Walls Era
12-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Dwane Casey defense.

Bravo95
12-30-2011, 04:43 PM
The Knicks will need more than one wing defender. Shumpert could be one someday, but that's a lot to expect from a rookie. The Mavs will miss Chandler, Stevenson, and Casey.

Ty Fast
12-30-2011, 05:24 PM
it didnt hurt he was playing for a contact.

marj987
12-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah Dallas was perfect, but he'll be fine on the Knicks. Problem is nobody else plays D on that team. He can't do it by himself. I think Amare had 2 rebounds yesterday, that just can't happen. Chandler will be a great fit for NYK but everyone else has to buy in on that end of the floor.

Also Chandler was a beast for the Hornets, so he's no one hit wonder. Knicks are lucky to have a guy like him

he did? Yikes......but let's not forget Chandler, and Melo are great rebounders as well.

llemon
12-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Perfect? Not sure. But he was a very good fit, definitely.

king4day
12-30-2011, 06:47 PM
A lot of premature threads.

Are the Lakers and Mavs done?
Is Norris Cole the next coming of Christ?
Are the Warriors and Kings forces to be reckoned with?

And this.

Camp and preseason was shortened by weeks. We have teams out of shape that need more time. After a month (end of January), we'll know who's the real deal.

5ass
12-30-2011, 07:02 PM
give NY more time, they just need to get used to each other and communicate better defensively. Especially Amare and Chandler. Chandler needs to sit Amare's *** down and explain to him that he should use his big *** body and impressive athleticism on the defensive end as well. He cant just stand around most of the game and block one or two shots the rest of the game. If you cant do both dont play help defense, focus on stopping ur man, help defense should come from chandler.

BlondeBomber41
12-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah, which is what alot of people don't realize. He isn't Dwight Howard, he has weaknesses as a defender. Not to mention that for most of his career he's been injury prone. Giving almost $15 million a year to a guy who can't score and gets injured alot could end up being a big mistake, and with the Mavs being an older team they didn't need more long term contracts holding them down.

Not saying the Mavs won't miss him, but there were many reasons to not give him that contract... especially if the Mavs can indeed lure Dwight Howard to Dallas next offseason.

llemon
12-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah, which is what alot of people don't realize. He isn't Dwight Howard, he has weaknesses as a defender. Not to mention that for most of his career he's been injury prone. Giving almost $15 million a year to a guy who can't score and gets injured alot could end up being a big mistake, and with the Mavs being an older team they didn't need more long term contracts holding them down.

Not saying the Mavs won't miss him, but there were many reasons to not give him that contract... especially if the Mavs can indeed lure Dwight Howard to Dallas next offseason.

I believe your post sums it up.

There is no way Chandler is worth that contract.

But perhaps he will get Knicks into the 2nd rd.

Everything still lies ahead in this NBA season.

Lakers + Giants
12-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Huh? Dude I dont think any mavs fan believes that...find me the person, and i'll kill him myself :horse:

LTBaby. . . he's said so many times that Tyson wasn't **** before he got to dallas and that haywood could be as good as Tyson. He always states that this current team that mavs have is better and more talented than last years mavs. It's just hilarious, mavs fans just have to admit cuban just wants to acquire players next years instead of going for a repeat. . i love it.

LTBaByyy
12-30-2011, 08:47 PM
LTBaby. . . he's said so many times that Tyson wasn't **** before he got to dallas and that haywood could be as good as Tyson. He always states that this current team that mavs have is better and more talented than last years mavs. It's just hilarious, mavs fans just have to admit cuban just wants to acquire players next years instead of going for a repeat. . i love it.

I said all that? :eyebrow:

Like the great Kanye West said "That **** Kray"

I think we are good but OKC is going to the championship! !

I don't even care about this season! I am waiting for the offseason when Dwight Howard or Deron Williams comes to Dallas!!

blastmasta26
12-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Chandler will be fine with NY, but the contract was way too much and the defense from his supporting cast isn't good enough. Amare is the main culprit of poor defense on the squad, but Fields gets beat routinely because of his lack of athleticism compared to other SGs. Melo isn't a great defender, but he's putting more effort on that end than he has in past years, and Douglas is another good but not great defender. Shumpert's return will definitely help but I think Amare is the key. More effort from him and the Knicks can play defense as a complete team, which is where Chandler shines.

SportsAndrew25
12-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Chandler showed he can be a defensive force on this team with his blocks on Sunday. It is still early. I think he will get it together.

Cal827
12-30-2011, 11:23 PM
he did? Yikes......but let's not forget Chandler, and Melo are great rebounders as well.

I'm sorry, but where's that excuse for guys like Bosh? I mean Lebron and Wade are excellent rebounders at their position. Then include the other centers on the team are there to mainly rebound (as well as Haslem).

I don't have anything against Amar'e but if we pick on one, we gotta pick on the other.

Back to the topic... yup just like people say about say about Tom Brady in the NFL, Chandler's season was a product of the excellent system carlile/Casey had. They had excellent defenders in Kidd, Stevenson, Marion who were rarely beaten by their opponent. Chandler did help the odd times.

Bruno
12-30-2011, 11:46 PM
I'd say so. it was a great fit all around.

FriedTofuz
12-30-2011, 11:56 PM
chandler was a good piece for dallas because his compliment dirk by taking on more defensive responsibilities. Dirk isnt a good defender and chandler certainly helped him and got the whole team more encoouraged to play defense.