PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the way Vince Carter is being used?

NetsPaint
12-30-2011, 04:12 AM
First off, this isn't a biased post. I'm a fan of him, but I've seen times even on the Nets where he should have been driving more and all that. I know he's not as nearly as athletic as he once (still does make pretty impressive athletic moves), maybe there's times he should demand the ball instead of standing around 'till it's passed to him, I know the Magic and Dallas were/are contending teams so he had to adjust with his new teams, but he's been oddly used.

On the Magic, Suns, and so far Dallas, I've seen MANY times where the ball wouldn't even be passed on the side of the floor he's on. They'd keep feeding someone else, even if they couldn't create their own shot....why???

Dallas barely played him against OKC, and one time near the end of the game Carter makes a shot, then gets taken out LOL? He gets put back in soon after, but, still idiotic. Why play Odom that much who's been struggling offensively and not him?

Carter does not play as a superstar level anymore due to age, but Dallas needs be the team that finally uses him. I know he has a lot of haters on here, but if you don't see that he can still create better than most of that roster than you haven't been paying attention. A conspiracy I tell ya!

Ebbs
12-30-2011, 04:14 AM
I'd like to see him play more minutes to honestly but he hasn't been great with his allotted minutes til today

Raps18-19 Champ
12-30-2011, 04:15 AM
He's been lazy for years now.

marvILLous
12-30-2011, 04:16 AM
vc's always been clutch.. i'm not surprised whenever he hits a clutch shot lol no matter how difficult the shot

he's just so streaky now that it's hard to give him consistent minutes

NetsPaint
12-30-2011, 04:21 AM
vc's always been clutch.. i'm not surprised whenever he hits a clutch shot lol no matter how difficult the shot

he's just so streaky now that it's hard to give him consistent minutes
But he barely gets the ball. This is my point. Ever since his post-career as a Net teams have been trying to make him into a simple role player spot-up shooter. It's not ALWAYS the coaching/teammates fault, sometimes it's him being passive, but it's hard for him to do anything when he's not even given the ball.

sunsfan88
12-30-2011, 04:23 AM
Because he's a chucker. Everytime he got the ball in Phoenix he would settle for the worst possible shot.

Every time he shot the ball, Suns fans would say "Wow that's awful shot selection. I guess it can't be worse than that"

Then Carter would surprise us again by even more horrible shot selection.

NetsPaint
12-30-2011, 04:30 AM
Because he's a chucker. Everytime he got the ball in Phoenix he would settle for the worst possible shot.

Every time he shot the ball, Suns fans would say "Wow that's awful shot selection. I guess it can't be worse than that"

To be fair, that is the Suns' style of play a lot of the time. I do agree though, he did settle at times, but he also should have been used to handle the ball and create plays more.

5ass
12-30-2011, 04:34 AM

same way in orl. thats really an accurate description. he's just not agressive anymore. you know how many posterizings AIR CANADA had in his years in orl? One on verajoa. Thats it.

Raph12
12-30-2011, 04:36 AM
He got the ball a lot on our team, he just sucked, he beasted (20pts) against crap teams and sucked (10pts or less) against any physical team... He is only good as a third/fourth option, maybe off the bench.

Wade>You
12-30-2011, 04:37 AM
Plus it looks like he put on a little extra weight.

sunsfan88
12-30-2011, 04:48 AM
To be fair, that is the Suns' style of play a lot of the time. I do agree though, he did settle at times, but he also should have been used to handle the ball and create plays more.
He got the ball a lot in late game situations and rarely showed up. He was our go to scorer yet couldn't do anything.

Once a month he would have a great game then he disappears.

I'm so glad we don't have him anymore. At least Dudley and Brown can play defense for us even if their not great scorers.

Bulls_fan90
12-30-2011, 04:50 AM
I used to love Vince (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q)

Shareeb_omac2
12-30-2011, 05:11 AM
They need to run pick and rolls with Dirk and Carter...

dodie53
12-30-2011, 07:34 AM
half man,
half retired.
sorry

thenetslegend
12-30-2011, 07:47 AM
half man,
half retired.
sorry

haha!

ghettosean
12-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Vince is pretty much done... It showed on his last few teams like the Magic and Suns. I'll quote what his old teammate said when they were on the same team in Toronto.

"He's a lazy bum" said by Charles Oakley when asked about Carters training habits.

Hawkeye15
12-30-2011, 11:10 AM
he appears out of shape, and at this stage of his career, if you have him starting at SG and playing big minutes, you are weak at SG.

IndyRealist
12-30-2011, 11:16 AM
He's a big name vet with an ego, I suspect he decides how involved he's going to be in the offense.

king4day
12-30-2011, 11:25 AM

While true, you were able to tell if the shots come in rhythm or if they try to fake out the defender and take a contested shot.
Pietrus was doing the same thing.

Hawkeye15
12-30-2011, 11:32 AM
While true, you were able to tell if the shots come in rhythm or if they try to fake out the defender and take a contested shot.
Pietrus was doing the same thing.

Pietrus? He is the most guilty player I have ever seen at giving a pump fake, watching his guy sail into the stands, and STILL shooting a bomb instead of driving.

Nets/Raiders!
12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Carter is still the man. But he's out of shape and he's still gaining chemistry. He's improving on his defensive efforts every game. He will be used once Carlisle figures out how to use him more. This team has very little chemistry now. Don't worry, Carter will be dropping 14 nights here and there, just not consistently.

ttam68
12-30-2011, 12:25 PM
This should be merged with the AI conspiracy thread, as well as any Steve Francis or Stephon Marbury threads. Aging ego = bad player.

sep11ie
12-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Instead of contraction they should make a team of all out of shape, washed up players. Then everyone can stop asking about them.

Hawkeye15
12-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Instead of contraction they should make a team of all out of shape, washed up players. Then everyone can stop asking about them.

That would be a great idea. The Jacksonville Fatties or something like that. The only requirement is that they must have over 12% bodyfat at all times. Smoking on the bench is optional.

Iceman05
12-30-2011, 01:00 PM
They need to run pick and rolls with Dirk and Carter...

Funny - VC hasnt avg more than 3 assists a game in 4 years. Hes nothing but a chucker now

UKblazers
12-30-2011, 01:06 PM
From what I've seen so far delonte west looks to be the better player at this point in their careers, its early in the season but i could see dallas playing a lot of Kidd Delonte backcourt lineups so i don't know how many minutes VC will get in crunch time.

Corey
12-30-2011, 01:06 PM
He's playing 20 MPG, and in those minutes, his USG% is 22.12.

That's higher than Delonte, Marion, Haywood, Kidd, Mahinmi, and right on par with Roddy and Lamar.

Nick O
12-30-2011, 01:25 PM
maybe its because hes a lazy washed up loser...

king4day
12-30-2011, 01:26 PM
That would be a great idea. The Jacksonville Fatties or something like that. The only requirement is that they must have over 12% bodyfat at all times. Smoking on the bench is optional.

:laugh:

Optional....but encouraged

ThuglifeJ
12-30-2011, 01:30 PM
ok maybe instead of attempting to crack cliche jokes like "VC IS SO WASHED UP BRO" let's go to a reliable source.

-'Rick Carlisle has vowed that Vince Carter will fit in and the coach is trying his best to figure out where and when to plug him in.'
'So where does Carter fit? Might not be in the starting lineup. A backcourt that averages close to 37 years old (Carter and Jason Kidd) just isn't a realistic defensive option to start games. Jason Terry is the first shooting guard off the bench, so Carter has to fit into situations and matchups.'

"I'm ready to play when he calls my number," Carter said. "I don't want to be a statue, I want to be a player. On this team it's not about how many points you score, it's how effective you are, move the ball, make plays."
"I told him [Carlisle], 'Hey, whatever, it's all about winning,'" Carter said. "That's what I want to do. I'm not really into arguing about, 'Hey, I should be starting.' No, I should be productive for the team and that's what I worry about."

Rick Carlisle: "I can't tell you how impressed I am with Vince Carter after three games," Carlisle said. You're talking about an eight-time All-Star. And, really, if you look at his stats and his career, he's a sure-fire Hall of Famer. He is willing to do anything we ask of him to help us win. He was willing to come off the bench, no problem. I had him come in for one possession when Dirk was out. He hit a big shot, then came right back out of the game. Then he's ready at the end to knock in that shot.

"That's what we need. We need some other guys to step up that aren't getting it done."

And that latter comment from Carlisle just might have been directed at the other high profile addition that is 4-of-27 from the floor with 13 rebounds and shoots a reality show on the side.

aka you cant start VC because Kidd is already slow/old they need quickness and defense to start. Mavs are deep so VC wont be seeing heavy minutes as much of a scoring asset he is they already have scoring in Dirk so he will fit where he fits.. VC is older now and slowed down from his big timer days since the past couple years. Since 08-09 hes no longer a dominant guard and is now more so good in spurts. Which is good to have on your team if theyr willing to do so. which he is. Carlisle is a smart coach knows what hes doing.

mavwar53
12-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Cause he's not very good, he's old, his D sucks, he's lazy, and last but not least his shot selection sucks.

BigDFan85
12-30-2011, 01:36 PM
First off, this isn't a biased post. I'm a fan of him, but I've seen times even on the Nets where he should have been driving more and all that. I know he's not as nearly as athletic as he once (still does make pretty impressive athletic moves), maybe there's times he should demand the ball instead of standing around 'till it's passed to him, I know the Magic and Dallas were/are contending teams so he had to adjust with his new teams, but he's been oddly used.

On the Magic, Suns, and so far Dallas, I've seen MANY times where the ball wouldn't even be passed on the side of the floor he's on. They'd keep feeding someone else, even if they couldn't create their own shot....why???

Dallas barely played him against OKC, and one time near the end of the game Carter makes a shot, then gets taken out LOL? He gets put back in soon after, but, still idiotic. Why play Odom that much who's been struggling offensively and not him?

Carter does not play as a superstar level anymore due to age, but Dallas needs be the team that finally uses him. I know he has a lot of haters on here, but if you don't see that he can still create better than most of that roster than you haven't been paying attention. A conspiracy I tell ya!

Ever heard of this guy named Dirk Nowitzki?

Odom is playing more because he's a bigger part of the team than Vince right now, his D is much better also.

rocketman0621
12-30-2011, 01:36 PM
He's been lazy for years now.

Yup. Time to hang that jersey for good :)

NetsPaint
12-30-2011, 01:49 PM
ok maybe instead of attempting to crack cliche jokes like "VC IS SO WASHED UP BRO" let's go to a reliable source.

-'Rick Carlisle has vowed that Vince Carter will fit in and the coach is trying his best to figure out where and when to plug him in.'
'So where does Carter fit? Might not be in the starting lineup. A backcourt that averages close to 37 years old (Carter and Jason Kidd) just isn't a realistic defensive option to start games. Jason Terry is the first shooting guard off the bench, so Carter has to fit into situations and matchups.'

"I'm ready to play when he calls my number," Carter said. "I don't want to be a statue, I want to be a player. On this team it's not about how many points you score, it's how effective you are, move the ball, make plays."
"I told him [Carlisle], 'Hey, whatever, it's all about winning,'" Carter said. "That's what I want to do. I'm not really into arguing about, 'Hey, I should be starting.' No, I should be productive for the team and that's what I worry about."

Rick Carlisle: "I can't tell you how impressed I am with Vince Carter after three games," Carlisle said. You're talking about an eight-time All-Star. And, really, if you look at his stats and his career, he's a sure-fire Hall of Famer. He is willing to do anything we ask of him to help us win. He was willing to come off the bench, no problem. I had him come in for one possession when Dirk was out. He hit a big shot, then came right back out of the game. Then he's ready at the end to knock in that shot.

"That's what we need. We need some other guys to step up that aren't getting it done."

And that latter comment from Carlisle just might have been directed at the other high profile addition that is 4-of-27 from the floor with 13 rebounds and shoots a reality show on the side.

aka you cant start VC because Kidd is already slow/old they need quickness and defense to start. Mavs are deep so VC wont be seeing heavy minutes as much of a scoring asset he is they already have scoring in Dirk so he will fit where he fits.. VC is older now and slowed down from his big timer days since the past couple years. Since 08-09 hes no longer a dominant guard and is now more so good in spurts. Which is good to have on your team if theyr willing to do so. which he is. Carlisle is a smart coach knows what hes doing.
Good response and information. Hopefully he starts using VC more than Odom. I don't know why he gets such a free pass a lot of the time. I like Odom, but yeah.

NetsPaint
12-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Ever heard of this guy named Dirk Nowitzki?

Odom is playing more because he's a bigger part of the team than Vince right now, his D is much better also.

4 for 27 is much bigger?

Ty Fast
12-30-2011, 01:54 PM
same way in orl. thats really an accurate description. he's just not agressive anymore. you know how many posterizings AIR CANADA had in his years in orl? One on verajoa. Thats it.

he's scared to drive it to the basket now.

Cal827
12-30-2011, 01:57 PM
It's his end... damn shame too. He had the talent from when he was with the Raptors, but unfortunately, didn't give the effort needed to win. Now his athleticism is almost gone, exposing his average shot, which makes him a lower option over guys like Dirk, Terry, etc.

However the Raptors are up next for the Mavs, and he has a history of going off on us lol

BigDFan85
12-30-2011, 01:59 PM
4 for 27 is much bigger?

I wasn't talking about points. Lamar is being asked to take a bigger role then Vince is right now and the Mavs need to get him more acclimated to their system than Carter at the moment.

Nick O
12-30-2011, 02:03 PM
i dont care how good he used to be this is a guy you dont want on your team... hes a multiple time all star who could have been a hall of famer if he had enough ****ing work ethic.. instead hes a whining , lazy quitting liar who never reached his full potetential and he was freaking good.. like really damn good watching him play for the raps for so many years was a treat but he just never had the work ethic and then left like a douchebag

sep11ie
12-30-2011, 02:07 PM
:laugh:

Optional....but encouraged

The uniforms will be plaid shorts and oversized Hawaiian shirts.

Hawkeye15
12-30-2011, 02:14 PM
The uniforms will be plaid shorts and oversized Hawaiian shirts.

with a beautiful spread in the locker room at halftime.

sep11ie
12-30-2011, 02:29 PM
No games during Matlock and a 30 minute nap between quarters.

Hawkeye15
12-30-2011, 02:30 PM
No games during Matlock and a 30 minute nap between quarters.

alright that made me laugh

"This damn sport burns too many calories"

sep11ie
12-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Had to do something with this thread.

Chronz
12-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Did I miss the typical VC bashings about his work ethic, laziness, lack of heart, yadda yadda yadda.....

Hawkeye15
12-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Did I miss the typical VC bashings about his work ethic, laziness, lack of heart, yadda yadda yadda.....

basically, yes.

sep11ie
12-30-2011, 02:50 PM

Well, that and a few of us making some good clean fun of the thread itself.

KingPosey
12-30-2011, 03:07 PM

12% not that high, considering the avg male adult wants to be at about 15 or lower, but I see what you're getting at, and I like it.

Nick O
12-30-2011, 03:14 PM

they are all truths

Hawkeye15
12-30-2011, 03:18 PM
12% not that high, considering the avg male adult wants to be at about 15 or lower, but I see what you're getting at, and I like it.

well, for an athlete its high. But yeah. A team of fatties who refuse to work hard. There could even be a rule that you can't have the ball cross halfcourt against their defense until they have all 5 guys back (this was a rule in the father-son games in my youth. It allowed the Dad's to walk back slowly, while one guy waited on our side of the floor, and when they were finally set on defense, their guy would cross haha).

sep11ie
12-30-2011, 03:51 PM
well, for an athlete its high. But yeah. A team of fatties who refuse to work hard. There could even be a rule that you can't have the ball cross halfcourt against their defense until they have all 5 guys back (this was a rule in the father-son games in my youth. It allowed the Dad's to walk back slowly, while one guy waited on our side of the floor, and when they were finally set on defense, their guy would cross haha).

I doubt VC would be smart enough for that.

llemon
12-30-2011, 03:56 PM

His coach is a reliable source?

Now, that is funny.

ThuglifeJ
12-30-2011, 04:16 PM
A reliable source to how vince is being used and what he wants? Ya I think that's a good source ****

llemon
12-30-2011, 04:32 PM
A reliable source to how vince is being used and what he wants? Ya I think that's a good source ****

Then you are very naive.

Coaches say what their players and the press want to hear.

They almost never speak the truth.

Reliable source. Again, very funny.

kenzo400
12-30-2011, 06:20 PM
"That's what I want to do. I'm not really into arguing about, 'Hey, I should be starting.' No, I should be productive for the team and that's what I worry about."

:laugh2: I'm pretty sure he would prefer not to play at all, and still collect the money. That would be his dream scenario. He accomplished it while playing in Toronto in his last couple of years.

kblo247
12-31-2011, 07:36 AM
half man,
half retired.
sorry

Let me try

Half season, half heart