PDA

View Full Version : Just A thought About Elite Small Forwards

Lisound15
12-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Over the last 20+ years, it seems like every championship team has won it with having their key offensive players as a hall of fame guard or center/pf, (or in some cases both) . Look at the Mavs (nowitzki), the spurs (duncan), the celtics (Garnett and allen), the lakers (Kobe/shaq), the bulls (Jordan), The lakers again (Magic), The rockets (Hakeem), The Pistons (Isiah). The last team to have a small forward to be the key of their offense was the Celtics (Larry Bird).
Now that being said, do you guys feel as though this is a fluke, or that teams Need to have dominant players at this position and less dominant players at small forward to not only compete for, but win a championship?

Dade County
12-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Paul Pierce

BranWingss
12-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Well, there's only three elite SFs in the entire league. LeBron, who's made it to the NBA Finals twice, Kevin Durant, who's team is one of the favourites, and a potential darkhorse with Carmelo and the Knicks. SGs, and these PFs have a lot more all-star depth.

Lisound15
12-30-2011, 01:35 AM
Paul Pierce
Paul pierce wasn't the main piece though. They were all important, kind of like the pistons in 04

Raps18-19 Champ
12-30-2011, 01:39 AM
I usually see it as PG, SF and SG, then PF or C.

There's been a fair amount of SF and SG leaders winning.

Dolfan305
12-30-2011, 01:45 AM
It's a fluke. SF and SG are essentially the same position

B'sCeltsPatsSox
12-30-2011, 01:48 AM
Paul pierce wasn't the main piece though. They were all important, kind of like the pistons in 04

He was the Finals MVP:shrug:

Bos_Sports4Life
12-30-2011, 01:55 AM

I think KG was the best player on that c's team when talking overall impact. But strictly offensive? Pierce was still the most important

Dade County
12-30-2011, 01:56 AM

you made me ****ing buss out laughing

Giraffes Rule
12-30-2011, 01:56 AM

KG was the defensive star, but Paul Pierce has been the Celtics best player since they all got together. No Paul Pierce, no championship.

Dade County
12-30-2011, 01:58 AM

Who is that woman in your avatar pic... thats the real question

Sportfan
12-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Who is that woman in your avatar pic... thats the real question
zomg i saw a naked girl ona 75x75 pixel avatar!!!!! hORNy!!!!!

Cal827
12-30-2011, 02:18 AM
zomg i saw a naked girl ona 75x75 pixel avatar!!!!! hORNy!!!!!

This.

Switch
12-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Scottie Pippen

iam brett favre
12-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Gordon Hayward.

Wade>You
12-30-2011, 02:26 AM
Ultimately it depends on the caliber of the player, not the position.

Sly Guy
12-30-2011, 11:02 AM

he was in the year they won the championship. Ray Allen hadn't found his groove with his new team all season, and Garnett was the defensive stopper. It was Pierce's offense that carried the day for the C's.

Hawkeye15
12-30-2011, 11:08 AM
meh, I think its just chance that a SF or PG hasn't been the top player on a championship team in a long time.

Gram
12-30-2011, 11:33 AM

That's because there has to be one. :rolleyes: And although I can't stand him or the Celtics, he played a great series. However, like someone said, he wasn't the only big piece. If it were just him in there with no Allen or KG, LA would have walked all over them. ;)

Alayla
12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
importance to a teams offense in order in terms of position PG SG PF SF C
Importance in terms of defense C PF PG SG SF
in my opinion small forward is the least important position in the game
HOWEVER i do believe to win a ring its more about teamwork talent defense and communication so the position of your best player is not really relevant

Rentzias
12-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Dream, Shaq and Dwight disagree with the middle part of your rankings.

Sixerlover
12-30-2011, 12:25 PM
HOWEVER i do believe to win a ring its more about teamwork talent defense and communication so the position of your best player is not really relevant

Definitely disagree with the PG being the most important to a teams offense. At least championship caliber teams. Majority of the time they don't have a great PG.

BULLSFAN0810
12-30-2011, 03:43 PM
It's a fluke. SF and SG are essentially the same position

No it isn't...here's some ball 101. In ball the most important positions r Pg. and Post.why? They both create the same turmoil.a center post, forces a high percentage shot or passes it to a open shooter for a uncontested shot.
A pg penetrates to create a high percentage shot for himself or a teammate, if neither is available he kicks pity to open shooter.

A Sg is less skilled pg since he must be able to shoot, and he must be able to dribble to relieve tension at PG. position, whereas a Sf is a runner and finisher and is a defensive stopper and must be a rebounder. Ie imo why Lbj is trash, he has 2 handles without a shot, so he controls the rock too much in the half court .the heat succeed when the heat push the rock....lbj capitalizes on his real strength...running and jumping...like a true sf.

BULLSFAN0810
12-30-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm sort I must disagree..it goes Pg..the brain of your team, he decides who when where and why people shoot.MUST be a defender or willing.

Center..the center of your offense .he is for lack of better words the secondary quarter back.he anchors defense, and MUSt be a willing passer out of double teams.

Sg..on conjunction with Pg he is secondary ball handler.he also must space the floor.and be an adept finisher and creator.

Sf..the GLUE guy does everything but excels at nothing.more of an athlete and defender

Pf..high post...good perimeter defender help defender 15 feet away.be able to high post (hit 15 footer) Good at crashing boards.

magichatnumber9
12-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Paul pierce wasn't the main piece though. They were all important, kind of like the pistons in 04That is ****ing ********... Ray Allen sucked during the playoffs pal. Nice try. Garnett and PP made **** happen during that championship playoff run.