PDA

View Full Version : missed calls easily corrected

Lord Leoshes
12-29-2011, 07:49 PM
How many of us are tired of seeing refs miss calls that could determine the outcome of a game? :facepalm:

In my opinion, i think that there should be another referee (or an assistant) sitting at the scorers table reviewing replay of questionable calls to help correct their fellow referees mistakes on the court.
I have seen way too many missed calls go in a game that could have, & have determined the outcome of games.
I don't think any of us feel it's fare that ANY team looses a game cause some idiot ref missed the call.

All that has to be done is while the game is in progress(not stopping the game flow), have an assistant watching replay fixing all & any mistakes that the ref's on the court missed for what ever reason. It's not rocket science. Just add one more person to the crew.
What do you guys think? Any other suggestions that could fix this problem?

Fnom11
12-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Seems somewhat logical, so no.

Slug3
12-29-2011, 07:53 PM
So you want the games to be 6 hours long, everyone to foul out, and even more FTs. I think the refs should let them play more and a blatant foul is a foul. Not a tiny bump and then the player screams type of foul.

LGhost
12-29-2011, 07:55 PM
It works out because sometimes there are calls that you want corrected and sometimes calls that you don't want corrected, for every team. Plus what Slug3 just said

beasted86
12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
They should definitely find a way to expand reviewable calls somehow.

Not sure this idea makes sense or what type of calls they can really review, but definitely needs proactive expansion.

Lidz
12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
I think that'll take away from the excitement. Think about hearing this over the PA at the next time-out. "Correction, the foul that occurred at the 4 minute mark was on Rondo, not Paul Pierce. Rondo is now fouled out of the game and Paul Pierce has 3 fouls. The ruling on the court that the And-1 play was a continuation and after further review, it was not. Oklahoma City will be rewarded for their one point at the free-throw line, but the two points from the And-1 will be taken away. That leaves the score at 89 to 88, with Boston winning and 21 seconds to go in the forth quarter. Let's play some basketball."

ManRam
12-29-2011, 08:06 PM
It's part of the game. Better than adding 30 minutes of useless time...

A 4th ref on the floor not reviewing every play would be better than this option. Maybe a challenge feature for non-judgement calls...

Refs are humans, and until we have robots that can be perfect, fans gotta learn to deal with it. It's a very tough job.

Lidz
12-29-2011, 08:15 PM
It's part of the game. Better than adding 30 minutes of useless time...

A 4th ref on the floor not reviewing every play would be better than this option. Maybe a challenge feature for non-judgement calls...

Refs are humans, and until we have robots that can be perfect, fans gotta learn to deal with it. It's a very tough job.

And even when we have perfect robots, there will still be arguments about calls and no-calls. You can't please everybody. I think right now, the game is fair because it's "unfair". By that, I mean yes, there may have been a charge that should've been a block on one end, but on the other end, one quarter later, the refs can accidentally give the ball to the team that that was called for the charge in the quarter before, even though they touched it last. Both calls are unfair, but because it happened to both teams, technically, it makes it fair.

Dolfan305
12-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Refs miss calls, they can't be perfect, just like the players can't make every shot. I think it would be a good idea for coaches to have challenges like the NFL

Lord Leoshes
12-29-2011, 11:48 PM
They should definitely find a way to expand reviewable calls somehow.

Not sure this idea makes sense or what type of calls they can really review, but definitely needs proactive expansion.

Maybe something like a team can call for 1 replay in each quarter, but if the call stands they lose a timeout.

LakersIn5
12-30-2011, 02:52 AM
they should favor calls on superstars and big market teams so dan gilbert writes another letter to stern

whitemamba33
12-30-2011, 02:58 AM
It's part of the game. They have already done lots to implement replays into the current game...but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Flashsides
12-30-2011, 03:47 AM
All that has to be done is while the game is in progress(not stopping the game flow), have an assistant watching replay fixing all & any mistakes that the ref's on the court missed for what ever reason. It's not rocket science. Just add one more person to the crew.
What do you guys think? Any other suggestions that could fix this problem?

How do you "fix" any and all mistakes without stopping the game?

This literally makes no sense. It's the worst thing I've ever read.

Suppose Lebron is fouled. He shoots his two free throws and makes them. Paul Pierce, who fouled him, received his fourth foul in the second quarter and therefore sat for the next ten minutes. Ten minutes later, the fourth ref determines Lebron was not actually fouled. He takes away two points from Lebron's score? But what about the ten minutes of lost playing time from Paul Pierce? How do you fix that?

What if there's a no call? Do you stop the game immediately (ten minutes after the foul) and give Lebron the two foul shots? But it would've been Pierce's sixth. Since then he's scored four points and gotten two assists. Do you erase all of those points?

Dumb idea is dumb.

jmoney85
12-30-2011, 04:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvNzEgl9lU

Raps08-09 Champ
12-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Challenges like in football maybe. :shrug:

Nyc4You
12-30-2011, 04:25 AM
they should favor calls on superstars and big market teams so dan gilbert writes another letter to stern

more like a novel :D