PDA

View Full Version : Name the top 4 contenders for 2012 NBA Championship

dnewguy
12-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Which 4 teams would you pick as serious contenders for the crown?

GoPacers33
12-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Heat
Knicks
Thunder
Pacers(Believe IT)

dnewguy
12-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Heat
Thunder
Mavs
Knicks.

kdspurman
12-29-2011, 03:47 PM
If we're going off pre-season & the first few games: (IMO)

Miami
OKC
Chicago (despite that loss in GS)
Spurs (yes the "old" spurs)

Chi StateOfMind
12-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Heat
Chicago
OKC
Memphis

Hellcrooner
12-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Heat / Bulls

Lakers / Mavs

gotoHcarolina52
12-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Thunder
Knicks
Mavs
Heat

macc
12-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Miami OKC Boston Clipps - and I don't feel good about the last two

CrasH-X
12-29-2011, 04:01 PM
HEAT
Thunder

Lakers
Bulls

Cal827
12-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Heat
Thunder
Bobcats
Bulls

meloman1592
12-29-2011, 04:04 PM
From a talent standpoint, I'd go with
Miami
NYK
LAC
OKC

meloman1592
12-29-2011, 04:05 PM
But reality,
MIA
CHI
NYK
OKC, nobody else in the west really scares me

Tony_Starks
12-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Heat
Chicago
Spurs
Lakers

ManRam
12-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Heat
Bulls
Knicks

Thunder...

Spurs and Dallas maybe next. Trying not to overreact about Dallas...but yeah...

Khalifa21
12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Heat
Thunder
Bulls
Knicks

In that order

Hawkeye15
12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Heat
Bulls
Thunder

I think the next tier is a dropoff.

Lakers
Mavs
Knicks
Celtics
Clippers

the rest

nickdymez
12-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Lakers
Heat
Chicago
OKC

Mayweather&NYK
12-29-2011, 04:17 PM
New York Knicks
Miami Heat
Portland Trailblazers
OKC Thunder

*Sleepers*
Pacers
Bulls
Spurs
Clippers

GhostfaceDrilla
12-29-2011, 04:20 PM
LMAO at all the Knicks fans saying Knicks are contenders. Maybe when they have someone outside of Chandler who plays defense. MAYBE.

In order:

Miami
Oklahoma City
Dallas
Chicago

Spurs and Celtics are both really old but they will both be outsice contenders. Boston hasn't had Pierce and have no big men and they still almost beat the Heat and Knicks full strength. Spurs will be contenders imo as well.

mightybosstone
12-29-2011, 04:22 PM
God... How many of these threads are we going to have? Personally, as hawkeye already said, I think the Heat, Thunder and Bulls are the obvious top 3 and there's a steep dropoff after that. Based on previous seasons, you'd think the Lakers, Mavs and Celtics would be in it, but they're all playing horribly right now. The Spurs and Hawks have started out red hot, but it's still way too early to tell.

Can we please put a cap on the "contenders" threads until at least a quarter of the way into the season? This is starting to get ridiculous...

Giants-49ers-Ws
12-29-2011, 04:23 PM
its a lot more open this year...finally; which is a good thing..6-7 teams in the west have a shot...and though the heat are the frontrunners in the east, with a trade i wouldn't write off Chicago, Boston or New York

SportsFanatic10
12-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Heat
Bulls
Thunder

Lakers
Mavs
Knicks
Celtics
Clippers

the rest

this sums it up nicely...

Hustlenomics
12-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Heat, Celtics,Mavs,Grizzlies

Corey
12-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Heat/Bulls
Bulls/Heat
Thunder
Clippers

Teams like the Knicks, Celtics, Pacers have no shot against beating Chicago or Miami in a 7 game series.

The only team I could see pulling upsets in the West are the Lakers and the Spurs if they're both fully healthy come playoff time.

Edit: I completely agree with Hawkeye about the tier drop off after Heat, Bulls, Thunder.

Hustlenomics
12-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Heat/Bulls
Bulls/Heat
Thunder
Clippers

Teams like the Knicks, Celtics, Pacers have no shot against beating Chicago or Miami in a 7 game series.

The only team I could see pulling upsets in the West are the Lakers and the Spurs if they're both fully healthy come playoff time.

Edit: I completely agree with Hawkeye about the tier drop off after Heat, Bulls, Thunder.
let the bulls prove themselves before we crown them

VCaintdead17
12-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Heat
Knicks
Thunder
Pacers(Believe IT)

Jesus

Corey
12-29-2011, 04:52 PM

Went further than the Celtics last year, and got better.

Same team + Rip Hamilton and a less crappy Carlos Boozer = Significantly better Bulls team.

It will be Heat - Bulls in the ECFs again.

Hustlenomics
12-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Went further than the Celtics last year, and got better.

Same team + Rip Hamilton and a less crappy Carlos Boozer = Significantly better Bulls team.

It will be Heat - Bulls in the ECFs again.

they're Derrick Rose or bust i don't see how no team has a chance of beating them outside the Heat

kozelkid
12-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Was 62 wins, the best record in the NBA and making it to the ECF not enough?

Heat
Bulls
Thunder

Lakers
Mavs
Knicks
Celtics
Clippers

the rest

This, plus Memphis and SA in the second group imo.

To take it a step further, LAC and Knicks are the two teams that I can see in the top tier depending on certain interior developments (without the necessity of further outside additions). In the case of LAC, they certainly have the talent imo and it's a matter of coming together. They're raw more than anything. In the case of the Knicks, they will have a rough regular season, but if Baron can get in shape and rekindle some of his 07 playoffs magic while Chandler can carry that team defensively, then they can be very dangerous.

Corey
12-29-2011, 05:03 PM
they're Derrick Rose or bust i don't see how no team has a chance of beating them outside the Heat

Then what are the Celtics? The Bulls were a significantly better team last year...and got better.

ChitownSports16
12-29-2011, 05:05 PM

?????????? what do they need to prove??? lol

WadeKobe
12-29-2011, 05:10 PM
:laugh2: Knicks. lol. :laugh2:

Chill_Will_24
12-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Heat
Heat
Heat
Heat

BranWingss
12-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Heat
Thunder
Bulls
Knicks

In that order

Exact same order for me too. I don't think Dallas will be as good. I then think the Lakers and Celtics take a step down in competition.

GrandDaddyPurp
12-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Miami
Heat
Miami
Heat

Corey
12-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Miami
Heat
Miami
Heat

Dont troll too hard, you might hurt yourself.

kdspurman
12-29-2011, 05:17 PM
LMAO at all the Knicks fans saying Knicks are contenders. Maybe when they have someone outside of Chandler who plays defense. MAYBE.

In order:

Miami
Oklahoma City
Dallas
Chicago

Spurs and Celtics are both really old but they will both be outsice contenders. Boston hasn't had Pierce and have no big men and they still almost beat the Heat and Knicks full strength. Spurs will be contenders imo as well.

How are the Spurs really old but you have Dallas and dont mention their age lol.. The spurs got younger and more athletic. Their average age is 27. Meanwhile Dallas is right at 30 (29.85) Not to mention the loss to their only defensive presence in the middle. I think Dallas will get better, but they are not the same team as last year, and I dont see how they got better. Just curious to know your thought process...

SteBO
12-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Heat
Heat
Heat
Heat

Miami
Heat
Miami
Heat
It's this kind of crap why people hate the heat. There are other teams besides the Heat that have just as good a chance.

EaglesJackson10
12-29-2011, 05:22 PM
:laugh2: Knicks. lol. :laugh2:

Exactly what I was going to post. Such a joke that people think this team is a title contender.

Heat
Thunder
Bulls
Portland

lavilevi23
1.HEAT
2.Thunder
3.Bulls
4.Mavericks

D Roses Bulls
LMAO........ I don't know if some people are trolling with some of these answers or are being serious. Let's hope they are just trolling and aren't really this dumb.

LakersMaster24
12-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Heat (They have the talent and the experience to win, its all up to Lebron and Wade being clutch)
Mavs (Defending chmaps, although Chandler was a vital part of their roster)
OKC (Still gotta see what happens with that Westbrook situation)
Lakers (Healthy Roster)

GrandDaddyPurp
12-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Dont troll too hard, you might hurt yourself.

No other team even has a shot. Everyone knows this except you. :facepalm:

BranWingss
Exactly what I was going to post. Such a joke that people think this team is a title contender.

Heat
Thunder
Bulls
Portland

Yeah, not really. What makes Portland much more of a contender than New York? The Knicks are strong at every position, except PG. Their bench isn't the best thus far, but it is improving. They have two fringe superstars, and a perfect front court.

LakersMaster24

Heat
Thunder
Bulls
Portland

You think Lamarcus Aldridge can lead them to a championship without any help except for Wallace, Felton, Matthews, Batum?

GrandDaddyPurp
12-29-2011, 05:26 PM

Heat
Thunder
Bulls
Portland

Says the one who posts Portland..

EaglesJackson10
12-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Yeah, not really. What makes Portland much more of a contender than New York? The Knicks are strong at every position, except PG. Their bench isn't the best thus far, but it is improving. They have two fringe superstars, and a perfect front court.

As a team they still don't play good defense and they have no depth. Portland on the other hand has great depth, plays good defense, and has a legitimate point guard.

Hustlenomics
12-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Then what are the Celtics? The Bulls were a significantly better team last year...and got better.

4 all stars or bust

?????????? what do they need to prove??? lol

they can beat a good team in the playoffs

Jint.
12-29-2011, 05:29 PM
OKC
Heat
Bulls
Knicks

Corey
12-29-2011, 05:30 PM
No other team even has a shot. Everyone knows this except you. :facepalm:

:sigh:

Just like the Kings have one of the most efficient back courts in the history of the NBA, right

EaglesJackson10
12-29-2011, 05:30 PM
You think Lamarcus Aldridge can lead them to a championship without any help except for Wallace, Felton, Matthews, Batum?

I forgot that Jamal Crawford wasn't a great scorer. He is obviously streaky but when he's on he will win you games. Marcus Camby is also still a great defensive center. People are making a huge deal about this Tyson Chandler signing when he is pretty much the same player as Camby. I don't see anyone getting that excited about him.

EaglesJackson10
12-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Says the one who posts Portland..

I'll respond when you come up with an actual response.

Corey
12-29-2011, 05:32 PM
4 all stars or bust

they can beat a good team in the playoffs

What Celtics are you watching? Father time isn't being kind to Mr. Garnett at the moment. They have no shot with the youth movement in the East.

GrandDaddyPurp
:sigh:

Just like the Kings have one of the most efficient back courts in the history of the NBA, right

It's about damn time you got it right.

justinnum1
Heat
bulls
okc
mem

bos if 100% healthy replaces mem

Chill_Will_24
12-29-2011, 05:33 PM
It's this kind of crap why people hate the heat. There are other teams besides the Heat that have just as good a chance.

I dont see anyone that can stop them. People hate the Heat cuz they made a superteam and turned the league into a "fraternity buddies team up" league. Wanna call me out because i dont see any team that can stop them? GTFOH

LakersMaster24
12-29-2011, 05:35 PM
I forgot that Jamal Crawford wasn't a great scorer. He is obviously streaky but when he's on he will win you games. Marcus Camby is also still a great defensive center. People are making a huge deal about this Tyson Chandler signing when he is pretty much the same player as Camby. I don't see anyone getting that excited about him.

So you are trying to tell me that a borderline or heck one All Star (Aldridge) + some role players is enough to win the West let alone win a ring?

olm718
12-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Heat
Chicago
Spurs
Lakers

Love your sig lol

Bravo95
12-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Spurs
Heat
Thunder
Lakers

kdspurman
12-29-2011, 05:38 PM
I dont see anyone that can stop them. People hate the Heat cuz they made a superteam and turned the league into a "fraternity buddies team up" league. Wanna call me out because i dont see any team that can stop them? GTFOH

The heat can be beat. Anyone can. No team is unbeatable, especially if Miami doesn't figure out how to beat the zone and score when the game slows down which they couldn't do vs Dallas and still couldn't do vs Boston. They're playing now the way they played last season after their slow start. But their half court offense still is very suspect. Good thing for them is the have another 63 games to figure it out.

GrandDaddyPurp
12-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Yes the Heat can be beat but no team will be able to beat them 4 times to win out a series. It's as simple as that.

kdspurman
12-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Yes the Heat can be beat but no team will be able to beat them 4 times to win out a series. It's as simple as that.

Same thing was said last year... And they still are relying on running and gunning and having trouble beating the zone. Like i said they have time to figure it out. Everyone can call them the favorites just like last year, but you need a half court offense to win it all.

xxplayerxx23
12-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Heat
thunder
Bulls
Lakers

Slight chance knicks, Memphis, Dallas, Spurs
I really dont see anybody besides the heat or bulls repersenting the east maybe the knicks if davis turns out good. I see heat thunder

xxplayerxx23
12-29-2011, 05:49 PM

they said that last year, but yet dallas beat them. there beatable. I dont see anybody but the thunder doing it, But it def can be don.

GrandDaddyPurp
12-29-2011, 05:51 PM
they said that last year, but yet dallas beat them. there beatable. I dont see anybody but the thunder doing it, But it def can be don.

I don't know or even care who "they" is. I said it this time so there.

Da Knicks
12-29-2011, 05:58 PM

I actually want for people to count new york out, we are playing with a sg playing the point for the moment and trying to figure out the lineup. When this team gets baron and iman back our guards will be in good shape. Douglas coming off the bench along with Fields is going to help us tremendously.

Corey
12-29-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't know or even care who "they" is. I said it this time so there.

The all-mighty GrandDaddyPurp has spoken! May it be written in stone, for his word is as good as gold!

xxplayerxx23
12-29-2011, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=GrandDaddyPurp;20307171]I don't know or even care who "they" is. I said it this time so there.[/QUOTE

they as in everyone, And in that case I can care less what you say, How is the most efficient backcourt in the game doin?

xxplayerxx23
12-29-2011, 06:01 PM
The all-mighty GrandDaddyPurp has spoken! May it be written in stone, for his word is as good as gold!

It must be true, the heat and kings will meet in the finals :speechless:

Hawkeye15
12-29-2011, 06:06 PM
I actually want for people to count new york out, we are playing with a sg playing the point for the moment and trying to figure out the lineup. When this team gets baron and iman back our guards will be in good shape. Douglas coming off the bench along with Fields is going to help us tremendously.

I don't think many outside NY think the Knicks are a contender, so you are getting your wish.

I just can't get why anyone would believe Baron Davis is the answer at this stage of his career, in a shortened season.

Corey
12-29-2011, 06:13 PM
I just can't get why anyone would believe Baron Davis is the answer at this stage of his career, in a shortened season.

I agree with this quite a bit.

I think he's capable of being a difference maker, but I'm not expecting it at all. I've read quite a few posts from fans that think he's going to come in and instantly be the "B-Diddy" version of Baron Davis like he was with GSW.

Even a healthy Baron is a terribly inefficient player. He's been around a 39% FG shooter for the past two years, and he's a pretty bad 3pt shooter as well. When he was really good, he was getting to the line 6+ times per game, and he doesn't do that anymore either.

Chill_Will_24
12-29-2011, 06:27 PM

This.

Dallas did an outstanding job and i agree they still struggle against the zone but no team will contain them this year. The Mavs had the perfect players to contain MIA and the perfect weapons to outscore them. i cant see a team that can do both of those things in a playoff series this year

Spurred1
12-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Way too soon to make predictions like this, but anyway...

Heat- The pressure is on for them to win it all this year. They've had a full year together.
Thunder-They've steadily progressed each year, no reason to think they can't make it to the Finals this year.
Bulls- Hopefully someone aside from Rose will be able to participate in the playoffs this year. Boozer should be better this year, provided he stays healthy.

Some possibility, but so many factors to screw it all up :
Mavs-Let Chandler walk and basically rented players for the year in hopes of landing a FA in 2012. Doesn't seem like Cuban is dead set on repeating.
Spurs- Splitter has to get more time and must continue to improve. Manu's health is vital-if he goes down, it will be nearly impossible to win anything.
Knicks-Sure, it is possible, but they have got to get a coach that preaches defense on a consistent basis. Chandler can provide defense, but they need everyone playing it. Baron Davis will provide something-but he's not consistent and is an injury liability much of the time.

Clippers- They'll be scary for someone in the playoffs, but I think they'll need another year to fully mesh.

jmoney23
12-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Heat
Thunder
Bulls
Spurs

Dallas and Knicks are borderline.

I legitimately think the Pacers could be a darkhorse to get to the finals. They might have one of the deeper benches in the league and played the
Bulls tough last year in the first round. I think they could get to the ECF and give the Heat some issues.

Wade>You
12-29-2011, 06:40 PM
I'll give you three:

Heat
Bulls
Thunder

Knicks are the favorite for being the 4th team, waiting to see how they gel once they get more PT together and Baron of course.

Heat
Thunder
Bobcats
BullsWhile no one was looking... lol, but yeah, after that game against the Heat, they looked good. Exciting team to keep an eye on this season.

Dolfan305
12-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Heat
Thunder
Bulls
Maybe Lakers, Knicks, Spurs etc. Haven't seen enough.

LongIslandIcedZ
12-29-2011, 06:51 PM

In order:

Miami
Oklahoma City
Dallas
Chicago

Pretty much everyone has the Knicks there.

Sofnr
12-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Heat
Thunder
Bulls

Wade>You
12-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Heat
Thunder
BullsThat's exactly how I feel, 4th is really a tossup with the Knicks leading the way.

Pretty much everyone has the Knicks there.Yeah, don't see why it's a big deal. Can't get too offended when people don't favor your team, how do u think I got this name?

CarniifeX
12-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Miami
Chicago
OKC
Spurs

SportsAndrew25
12-29-2011, 07:04 PM
The Heat, Bulls, Thunder and Lakers. The Heat because of the big three, the Bulls because of Derrick Rose, the Thunder because of Durant and Westbrook, and the Lakers because of the Black Mamba.

socalswag24
12-29-2011, 07:16 PM
miami
chicago
okc
Lakers

assisi805
12-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Thunder
Heat
Bulls
Mavs

People putting Lakers in over thunder :facepalm:

xxplayerxx23
12-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Thunder
Heat
Bulls
Mavs

Ive only seen one.

smith&wesson
12-29-2011, 07:37 PM
thunder, clippers, & grizz in the west

heat, knicks, & bulls in the east

i got 6

Fnom11
12-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Heat, OKC, Bulls, the rest are debatable but unlikely.

Slimsim
12-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Heats
Bulls
OKC
Boston

NYK have a **** load of work to do

leftymo
12-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Heat
Oklahoma
Chicago
LA Lakers

leftymo
12-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Thunder
Heat
Bulls
Mavs

yeah, but two 7'footers are tough to beat, and one team has been to 3 of the last 4 finals and it ain't the thunder.

GrandDaddyPurp
12-29-2011, 08:15 PM

You are learning my friend.

they as in everyone, And in that case I can care less what you say, How is the most efficient backcourt in the game doin?

I did not say that last year so therefore you are incorrect. As for your question, better than the Knicks.

EaglesJackson10
12-29-2011, 10:08 PM
So you are trying to tell me that a borderline or heck one All Star (Aldridge) + some role players is enough to win the West let alone win a ring?

He's not a borderline All Star. He's a very very good player. I might even take him over Amare right now. He's a slightly better rebounder and a much better defender. I would also expect his offensive output to increase while I expect Amare's to decrease. Right now I would probably take Amare but by the end of the year I would expect that to change.

I don't view all "role players" the same. The NBA isn't simply superstars and role players. People look at the Knicks and see 2 superstars and assume they're a really good team when it's not the case. They are still very flawed and their "superstars" aren't dynamic enough to make up for those flaws.

You look at the Blazers and see 1 All Star and role players. I look at them and see 7 really good players. They also have stability in what is probably the most important position in this league (PG). Something the Knicks don't have. Oh and don't give me Baron Davis. All that guy is going to do is take away shots from Carmleo and Amare.

Hawkeye15
12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
He's not a borderline All Star. He's a very very good player. I might even take him over Amare right now. He's a slightly better rebounder and a much better defender. I would also expect his offensive output to increase while I expect Amare's to decrease. Right now I would probably take Amare but by the end of the year I would expect that to change.

I don't view all "role players" the same. The NBA isn't simply superstars and role players. People look at the Knicks and see 2 superstars and assume they're a really good team when it's not the case. They are still very flawed and their "superstars" aren't dynamic enough to make up for those flaws.

You look at the Blazers and see 1 All Star and role players. I look at them and see 7 really good players. They also have stability in what is probably the most important position in this league (PG). Something the Knicks don't have. Oh and don't give me Baron Davis. All that guy is going to do is take away shots from Carmleo and Amare.

Man, as I look at my personal top 15, I think I am slighting LA. I too may take him over Amare at this point.

RCarlson85
12-29-2011, 10:17 PM
1. Miami Heat
2. Heat
3. Miami
4. El Heat

In all seriousness, I think OKC and the Spurs look good in the west so far. The bulls are probably the next best after the Heat in the East. It's hard to say this early though.

knicks=love
12-29-2011, 10:51 PM
knicks are getting a lot of votes from what i saw.. after the game last night, i'm not too sure. we also have shumpert out, and baron davis hasn't touched the court and won't for a couple more weeks. i think towards the end of the season we'll be pretty scary, but i wouldn't put them as a top 4 contender. i'd go:

1. heat
2. thunder
3. bulls
4. mavs/celtics

5. knicks/lakers

Alayla
12-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Heat
Thunder
Mavs
Knicks.

zero chance at a repeat as they are now

ll_eric_ll
12-30-2011, 12:04 PM
zero chance at a repeat as they are now

Mavs have just as good a shot as anyone in tha West to advance to tha finals,... OKC will hit tha floor running this season, because they pretty much brought back their same team, but MAVS, lakers, still top dogs once playoffs come around.... and Kobe still got it just sayin

Silent
12-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Memphis
Okc
Chicago
NY

I won't even mention the heat there a lock

D-Leethal
12-30-2011, 12:33 PM
If the Knicks are healthy with Baron and end up getting KMart I think they are legit contender. Heat are definitely the favorites. West is wide open, I think we are in for a surprise out West this year. I think when the Clips get there chemistry going they are going be very tough to beat and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win it......

Heat
Knicks

OKC
LAC

vegasdave
12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
In the east its obviously the Bulls and Heat. However, we need to see how the Celtics look after Paul Pierce gets back in the lineup. The Pacers, Hawks, and Sixers look like they will improve significantly. Orlando is still decent with Howard, but doesn't have enough to step back into the top tier. The rest of the pack are all sub 500 teams.

In the west I like OKC and Denver in the finals unless they meet in an earlier round. Other possible contenders are Memphis, Dallas, and the Spurs.

Rentzias
12-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Man, as I look at my personal top 15, I think I am slighting LA. I too may take him over Amare at this point.
Guy was treated with a healthy amount of respect last night; Nuggets got called for I think three defensive three second violations in one quarter last night trying to deal with LA. Very legit, definitely a much better passer than Stoudemire (but less mobile) and lethal in the post.

Don't sleep on the Nuggets though.

P Styles
12-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Heat, Bulls, OKC, San Antonio

Hawkeye15
12-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Guy was treated with a healthy amount of respect last night; Nuggets got called for I think three defensive three second violations in one quarter last night trying to deal with LA. Very legit, definitely a much better passer than Stoudemire (but less mobile) and lethal in the post.

Don't sleep on the Nuggets though.

dude, I have been pumping the Nuggets since so many Knicks fans were pissed off that Hollinger would dare rank them 7th in the regular season becasue they have zip depth, and he ranked Denver #2 out west because of their insane depth.

Whatever.

Rentzias
12-30-2011, 12:53 PM
dude, I have been pumping the Nuggets since so many Knicks fans were pissed off that Hollinger would dare rank them 7th in the regular season becasue they have zip depth, and he ranked Denver #2 out west because of their insane depth.

Whatever.
Wasn't aimed at you specifically, but I can fix.

"Don't sleep on the Nuggets though PSD."

Deep rotation means sub-30 minutes for everyone, which is key in a run-all-the-time offense in a shortened season with a ton of three-games-in-four-nights scenarios. The team also got extremely big up front and I believe have a very favorable matchup against most teams.

Again, not aimed at you, I was agreeing with your LA assessment and shouting out my Nugs to PSD.

Tmath
12-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Lol at the people putting Knicks.

Hawkeye15
12-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Deep rotation means sub-30 minutes for everyone, which is key in a run-all-the-time offense in a shortened season with a ton of three-games-in-four-nights scenarios. The team also got extremely big up front and I believe have a very favorable matchup against most teams.

Again, not aimed at you, I was agreeing with your LA assessment and shouting out my Nugs to PSD.

Oh I know it wasn't aimed at me bro. And yes, you are exactly right. Starters minutes will drop across the board, and teams with massive depth will be better off for three reasons: If you have better reserves, you win the battle of the bench big time. If you have depth, you are still fresh on the 4th game in 5 nights. If you have depth, you can sustain injuries better than most teams.

The Nuggets may not go far in the playoffs, but they will overachieve in the regular season because their 2nd unit could probably start for half the NBA.

UKblazers
12-30-2011, 12:59 PM

Nuggets look legit so far, Ty lawson looks like he's about to make that leap into top 30 players in the league, almost impossible to stop him penetrating of the dribble.

Heat should be the heavy favourites with bulls close second.Thunder are the favourites out west just worry about how little they get from their front court offensively outside of ibaka open mid range shots, sometimes their half court offence is straight ugly.

Kutchie03
12-30-2011, 01:01 PM
1. HEAT (you just know this is their year)
2. Thunder (need to establish some front court scoring, Durant won't be able to carry Westbrook every night)
3. Bulls (2nd best team in NBA but they have to go through the HEAT so they don't have as good of a chance as the Thunder)
4. Spurs/Celtics (the playoff schedule is in their favor, plenty of rest between games)

sleepers: trailblazers and lakers

J_M_B
12-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Thunder
Heat
Bulls
Lakers

Tony_Starks
12-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Are the people that are putting the Knicks serious or just looking for altercations? If D'Antoni couldn't get one of the most outlandish offensive teams in history to the finals what makes you think he'll get Melo/STAT/Chandler and a bunch of roster players there?

The Knicks can never be expected to contend as long as that man is in the coaches seat.

kozelkid
12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I agree with this quite a bit.

I think he's capable of being a difference maker, but I'm not expecting it at all. I've read quite a few posts from fans that think he's going to come in and instantly be the "B-Diddy" version of Baron Davis like he was with GSW.

Even a healthy Baron is a terribly inefficient player. He's been around a 39% FG shooter for the past two years, and he's a pretty bad 3pt shooter as well. When he was really good, he was getting to the line 6+ times per game, and he doesn't do that anymore either.

The thing is, it isn't about him scoring. That's gravy. People seem to always forget that he is a very good distributor of the basketball as well. On that team, at least offensively, all they need is someone to set up their stars and be a threat if left open. Baron can certainly do that. At the very least, he can truly make them an elite offense. Their defense will always be in question, but that's why I guess they brought Chandler in the first place... :shrug:

Ty Fast
12-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Heat
heat
heat
heat

clevelafan4life
12-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Chi
miami
lac
okc

wjmoffatt
12-30-2011, 05:55 PM
East
Heat
Bulls
Sleeper (Pacers)

West
Thunder
Grizz
Sleeper (Blazers)

kozelkid
12-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Heat
heat
heat
heat

original
original
original
original

C-Wick925
12-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Pistons
close thread

Law25
12-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Lakers
Mavs

Heat
Bulls

I think the Knicks are a close third right now and I think the Thunder need a low post scorer. If Westbrook can drive the lane and creat for Durant or get his game goin then that team cant score enough. I also think that the Mavs are deeper than the Thunder when they figure out there team. Lakers have everything they need to win it despite popular belief. If they can stay healthy and continue to improve there D I think they win it. Last year they were tired and couldnt defend the pick and roll. This year there rested, hungry, and have the potential to lock down the pick and roll.

KnicksR4Real
12-30-2011, 06:33 PM
How can we be considered contenders after the way we've played?

Law25
12-30-2011, 06:53 PM
How can we be considered contenders after the way we've played?

Your team is still figuring themselves out give them some time before discounting them. That teams potential is what I think can put them there. Melo allaround scorer, Stat is your midrange/inside player, and Chandler as a defensive stopper. The Bulls supporting cast is what puts them ahead of you guys, but Rose would kill to have a balanced big there or a big three at all.

kozelkid
12-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Your team is still figuring themselves out give them some time before discounting them. That teams potential is what I think can put them there. Melo allaround scorer, Stat is your midrange/inside player, and Chandler as a defensive stopper. The Bulls supporting cast is what puts them ahead of you guys, but Rose would kill to have a balanced big there or a big three at all.

Na, Rose is just happy with his teammates.

Dilbert456
12-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Heat, Bulls and Thunder are in front by far then maybe Lakers, not this year for the Knicks.

Bruno
12-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Heat/Bulls

Lakers/OKC

sorry to dallas fans, don't flame me. I don't think they stand a chance in repeating without Chandler and Barea giving them big minutes come playoff time.

theheatles
12-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Heat
Thunder
Lakers
Spurs

bulldog312
12-31-2011, 03:11 AM
I think the Heat and the Bulls are clearly a tier in front of everyone in the East. Out West I would go with the Thunder and the Mavs. I'm not really buying anyone else. I think the Lakers window is nearly closed and I don't think the Clippers are good enough to reach the finals.

Corey
12-31-2011, 03:14 AM
Heat
Thunder
Lakers
Spurs

You have the Spurs ahead of the Bulls?

kozelkid
12-31-2011, 03:18 AM
You have the Spurs ahead of the Bulls?

Don't take him serious. He just thinks that not including Bulls or Rose in any discussion regarding elite team/players will rile up Bulls fans when, in reality, no one really cares. He loves trolling. :shrug:

UPRock
12-31-2011, 03:31 AM
Heat
Heat
Heat
and Heat.

xBLAMEITON24x
12-31-2011, 03:34 AM
LA Lakers
OKC
Miami Heat
Chicago Bulls

Confusious
12-31-2011, 03:35 AM
Heat
Knicks
Thunder
Pacers(Believe IT)
Paul George's two inches will single handedly carry the Pacers to 10 straight NBA Championships.

The_Jamal
12-31-2011, 03:45 AM
Heat

Thunder
Bulls

no one else

lol, please
12-31-2011, 03:54 AM
Knicks most definitely.

ClippersE.G
12-31-2011, 03:54 AM
Thunder
Grizzlies
Lakers (case of Kobe)
Bulls

stawka
12-31-2011, 04:17 AM
Heat, Thunder, Bulls, Lakers

I don't care how "old" or "on-the-decline" Kobe is, he's still Kobe and that itself scares me. Add Gasol and Bynum, and yeah, they're serious contenders. Nothing more I love to see than Kobe fail, but the Lakers are far from done

The other teams I mentioned, are there for obvious reasons

DChibes
12-31-2011, 04:47 AM
Heat
Bulls
Thunder
Lakers

Heat-Look great this year, LeBron & Co. are on a mission.

Bulls-Rip Hamilton has been a great acquisition but not sure if they can beat the Heat in a seven game series.

Thunder-Scary good team...Durrant is nasty and Westbrook is lighting it up. Skinny Perkins=Really good.

Lakers-Kobe is pissed about CP trade and all the talk that he is washed up. Look out for him to have a big season.

Cano-Montero...
12-31-2011, 05:08 AM
Heat and Thunder...

Chicago..Dallas...Lakers..Boston...

Cool007
12-31-2011, 05:36 AM
I think there are 3 actual contenders only.

Heat
OKC
Bulls

Sure the other teams definitely can make it (Lakers/Celtics/Knicks/Clippers/Spurs/etc) but I still see those teams with lot more flaws than the 3 I named above.

I think those 3 teams above are really ready for primetime and unless there is a problem in OKC, I think they are destined to come out of the Western Conference.

This year, I want to see how Bulls (hopefully healthy) and with a SG who can actually score/shoot in Rip vs Heat's defense and superstar Trio matchup vs each other.

I want to see LeBron guarding Rose again in the 4th qtr this time around and see how Rose handles that. If he is not fatigued, then I really like Rose vs LeBron this year but still I want to see it first hand.

Iron24th
12-31-2011, 05:40 AM
HEAT
Thunder

Lakers
Bulls

Agree, and with the same order.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-31-2011, 08:35 AM
I honestly don't feel OKC's defense is consistent enough to win a championship. I also feel that even though Chicago's defense is tough, I don't trust the bigs in Noah/Gibson/Boozer scoring enough, which will put heavy heavy scoring load pressure on D. Rose and might fatigue him.

I think it's down to the Lakers and the Heat. The consistent inside playing of Bynum & Gasol and the support they'll get from Murphy & McRoberts and Kobe's scoring and Lakers team defense will be enough to win the championship this season. And our 3pt shooting is now taken care of IMO.

Miami's big 3 can win a championship against any team in the West easily IMO, but I think they're very small in the frontcourt and if they go up against a long, length and overall big Lakers team in the finals, they'll have a tough time and I seeing them taking a lot of contested jumpshots, which plays a lot in the Lakers favor.

KobeBeefBryant
12-31-2011, 08:50 AM
1) Heat
2) Thunder
3) Bulls
4) Lakers

blom85
12-31-2011, 08:53 AM
East

Miami
Chicago

West

Oklahoma City
Wait for it..... wait for it............... Golden State!

pacersfan1967
12-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Heat
Knicks
Thunder
Pacers(Believe IT) I agrea with you except ...heat, bulls thunder ,INDIANA PACERS.......The knicks are good but there guard situations is there weakness...

pacersfan1967
12-31-2011, 09:28 AM
they said that last year, but yet dallas beat them. there beatable. I dont see anybody but the thunder doing it, But it def can be don. If the knicks are back at 1-2 what about the indiana pacers being 3-0...we are really back action speak louder then words....:clap:

Evolution23
12-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Surprised to see a lot of people picking the Knicks. They played like crap the last 2 games but it's still early and they still have to figure out their PG issue.

Corey
12-31-2011, 11:00 AM
You're surprised at people taking the Knicks, I'm surprised at people picking the Pacers.

calien
12-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Heat
Bulls
OKC
Lakers

TO Rapz
12-31-2011, 01:28 PM
I truly think its..

Heat
Bulls
OKC
-Filler-

The filler could be one of many teams...the Celtics, Knicks, Lakers, Mavs, Spurs, Memphis, AKA the teams that we dont know whether or not they could figure it out or not, and have too many unknowns whether or not they can be that good again, whereas, OKC, Chicago and Miami, we KNOW what we will get from them this year.

NBA-GMaster
12-31-2011, 01:29 PM
HEAT, Thunder, Bulls and Knicks/Clippers(tie)

310Casper
12-31-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm shocked at how many people are listing Knicks as a top 4 team in the league.

Really?

Wow :laugh2: Until they add a good pg to that squad, they arent a top 4 team in the league, not even close. People really overestimate that team badly. Either that or there are way too many Knicks homers in here. You're telling me Chandler makes them go from a 6th seed in the East to a TOP 4 team in the whole NBA?

310Casper
12-31-2011, 01:37 PM
I'll just list the top 4 teams most likely to win it all according to Vegas. Their picks are decided on using professional analysts who are paid 6 digits, some even 7, to keep casino sports betting in business.

1) Heat
2) Bulls
3) OKC
4) Lakers

BGeer091
12-31-2011, 01:51 PM
For me right now it is this.

Chicago
Miami
Oklahoma City
Dallas

Im obviously a Knicks fan. They are just not their yet. Do I personally believe they will be their by the end of the year? Im not sure. Baron Davis is a huge addition. Not to mention it certainly looks like K-Mart will be here in March. So the potential is their. It just matters on how they mesh. I'm hopeful but they always seem to let us down at the end :/

I wouldn't sleep on Portland guys. They are one of a few complete teams. Felton makes them alot better. I know losing Roy is tough but he was never healthy and didn't gel with the team towards the end. So for this constructed team its not a lose.

Memphis is so close. They could really be in that position. They like Portland are a complete team.

The Lakers well i will just say this... never count out Kobe!!!

leftymo
12-31-2011, 02:07 PM
I'll just list the top 4 teams most likely to win it all according to Vegas. Their picks are decided on using professional analysts who are paid 6 digits, some even 7, to keep casino sports betting in business.

1) Heat
2) Bulls
3) OKC
4) Lakers

well according to vegas, Lakers have 2nd best odds.

Shaq & Charles mentioned something about OKC that was very apparent in the dallas game. They are jump shooters. Jump shooting teams do not win the championship. Eventually you'll have to go inside with a post game.

Heat are most likely to win, but they have the same flaw as last year. Great in the open court, slow it down, and they aren't nearly as good.

justinnum1
12-31-2011, 02:07 PM
I honestly don't feel OKC's defense is consistent enough to win a championship. I also feel that even though Chicago's defense is tough, I don't trust the bigs in Noah/Gibson/Boozer scoring enough, which will put heavy heavy scoring load pressure on D. Rose and might fatigue him.

I think it's down to the Lakers and the Heat. The consistent inside playing of Bynum & Gasol and the support they'll get from Murphy & McRoberts and Kobe's scoring and Lakers team defense will be enough to win the championship this season. And our 3pt shooting is now taken care of IMO.

Miami's big 3 can win a championship against any team in the West easily IMO, but I think they're very small in the frontcourt and if they go up against a long, length and overall big Lakers team in the finals, they'll have a tough time and I seeing them taking a lot of contested jumpshots, which plays a lot in the Lakers favor.
even with bynum AND odom miami beat la twice last season...miami is way to athletic for LA. Heat would be a horrible matchup for the lakers.

Vincent33
12-31-2011, 02:12 PM
1. Miami Heat
2. Oklahoma City Thunder
3. Chicago Bulls
4. Knicks/Clippers/Mavs...no clue.