PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James dunk blocked by opponent's head

beasted86
12-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Miami Heat All-Star forward LeBron James threw down a vicious one-hand dunk during the fourth quarter of a Tuesday night game against the Charlotte Bobcats. One problem, though. As the ball went through the rim cleanly, Bobcats guard Gerald Henderson flew underneath the basket in a failed attempt to contest the play. James' dunk bounced off of Henderson's head and back through the rim, richocheting out clear to midcourt.

The officials apparently thought James' dunk either clanged off the bang rim or was blocked by Henderson and let play continue without counting the basket. James protested mightily, to no avail.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34075880

Here's the ridiculous video of LeBron James dunking the ball off of Gerald Henderson's head, only to have the basket not count.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDNEuXlgcCE&feature=player_embedded

This seems like a fluke play, but could have determined the game. Will and should the referees ever be allowed to review things like this?

Bruno
12-29-2011, 01:09 AM
haha, wow.

reviewing plays is a slippery slope in a game where momentum is so important. does the NBA stop the game and review Dengs travel against the Lakers as soon as the ball is passed to rose in the final seconds? really tough to say. I think i personally favor prioritizing momentum and just accepting that games aren't called 100% accurately. but i understand the other side as well.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-29-2011, 01:10 AM
A miscalled goal tending. Happens all the time.

This is a different type of goal tending but goal tending none the less. REview this, review all potential goal tending plays.

beasted86
12-29-2011, 01:12 AM
A miscalled goal tending. Happens all the time.

This is a different type of goal tending but goal tending none the less. REview this, review all potential goal tending plays.

I understand what you are trying to say, but this is not goaltending. It was a scored field goal that was never counted.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-29-2011, 01:14 AM
I understand what you are trying to say, but this is not goaltending. It was a scored field goal that was never counted.

There's a rule for that but I forget if it is goal tending or not.

But on occasions, there are plays when offensive rebounds are being tipped around that a player tips it out when it was just tipped in and officials miss it.

It happens occasionally. In this case, it was a head instead of hands tipping the ball.

GoPacers33
12-29-2011, 01:16 AM
That happened to the Pacers and Rasheed Wallace a few years ago

Lakeshow24KB
12-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Stern vetoed that dunk

Wade>You
12-29-2011, 01:24 AM
You could've had a 100 NBA referees at the game and none of them would've seen it. Worst officiating in basketball and in all major sports. The next time you happen to come across a bball game from another league, pay attention to the officiating. Huge difference.

marvILLous
12-29-2011, 01:29 AM
give him the bucket and make the final 98-95 lol

Kinglorious
12-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Right in the ****ing dome... :laugh2:

Dolfan305
12-29-2011, 01:43 AM
If the Heat lost by 1 or 2 points it would be ridiculous

BRICKCITYPIMP12
12-29-2011, 01:51 AM
**** was funny as hell....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

but nah seriously.. i ****in hate the heat but even i would admit that was 2 points that the heat got robbed of.
ball was all the way in the basket..then headered back out...lol

Dade County
12-29-2011, 02:01 AM
ridicules

jrm2054
12-29-2011, 02:05 AM
that was funny but im not for reviews in bball

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-29-2011, 02:06 AM
If the Heat lost by 1 or 2 points it would be ridiculous

Yes. It would have. That was in the back of my mind during the closing seconds. I woulda been ****ing pissed.

DRose7
12-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Maybe if this was playoffs they would have reviewed and counted it

Raph12
12-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Goaltending has never been reviewable and even if it was a call that would be reviewable, the call, would have to be made... The refs didn't think there was anything to call, so they played on, you can't review nothing.

Btw that dunk was just :drool:

Teeboy1487
12-29-2011, 02:56 AM
That was pretty bad. It really could have cost them the game.

Evolution23
12-29-2011, 03:18 AM
If you look closely Lebron didn't travel

P-O-Z
12-29-2011, 03:40 AM
If you look closely Lebron didn't travel

:clap:

mdm692
12-29-2011, 04:12 AM
does that count as a block for him??

Cal827
12-29-2011, 05:05 AM
They should have to review this.. I mean this wasn't a case where the ball was tossed in the air and a guy might have blocked it on the way down. Lebron's hand was clearly on/in the rim. Although this probably won't happen again for a long time lol

I wouldn't really blame Heat fans, who probably would post like 200 threads on the points that were missed, had Wade missed the GW.

Lord Leoshes
12-29-2011, 06:04 AM
All that has to be done is have someone watching replay on the sidelines, working in tandem with the officials helping correct their mistakes.

Just one extra guy at the scoring table is all it would take.

MOST
12-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Dont really matter since y'all won. Refs miss plays and fouls all the time both ways and will still continue. No biggie you win some you lose some

MOST
12-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Only excuses come when you lose most of the time so / thread will never know

justinnum1
12-29-2011, 09:16 AM
coaches should be able to stop one play and challenge the call for the game

justinnum1
12-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Dont really matter since y'all won. Refs miss plays and fouls all the time both ways and will still continue. No biggie you win some you lose some

True, but this type of thing will happen again and it could cost a team a game...i remember there was a 2 month span of baseball where a lot of close playe(foul balls, slides to base) were controversial and they moved to implement a review system. Something to think about for stern

LanceUpperCut
12-29-2011, 09:32 AM
There is no way you can review most play's other than the one's they do now. Basketball is not like baseball or football it's to fast with end to end plays, you can't stop another teams fast break to look at a play etc. I like how they can review 3 pointers and out of bound plays but that's about all you can.

HiphopRelated
12-29-2011, 10:16 AM
There is no way you can review most play's other than the one's they do now. Basketball is not like baseball or football it's to fast with end to end plays, you can't stop another teams fast break to look at a play etc. I like how they can review 3 pointers and out of bound plays but that's about all you can.
what's the difference between reviewing a 3 pointer to subtract 1 or add 1 at a timeout and reviewing the play being discussed here at a timeout to add 2?

He115ing
12-29-2011, 10:34 AM
haha, wow.

reviewing plays is a slippery slope in a game where momentum is so important. does the NBA stop the game and review Dengs travel against the Lakers as soon as the ball is passed to rose in the final seconds? really tough to say. I think i personally favor prioritizing momentum and just accepting that games aren't called 100% accurately. but i understand the other side as well.

I favor momentum as well, that is why I can't stand to watch american football.
But what if the heat would have lost by 2 points, then reviewing that play might have decided the outcome.

blahblahyoutoo
12-29-2011, 01:08 PM
that was funny but im not for reviews in bball

why not? you don't believe in fairness and accuracy?

it should be like football. each team gets a set number of challenges per game to be used on verifiable, objective, non-judgement calls (out of bounds, clock violations, etc., but NOT FOULS).
win the challenge? the call goes your way and you're not charged for the challenge.
lose the challenge? you lose the call, a challenge and a timeout.

at the end of the year, the refs that don't meet a set standard get disciplined, sent to ref D-league, or fired.

sep11ie
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
So did James get T'ed up for "protesting mightily"?

king4day
12-29-2011, 02:57 PM
I watched it and didn't see it until the replay. Henderson would have been on many signatures today had that not happend.

xxplayerxx23
12-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Good defense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daleja424
12-29-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't think goal-tending ought to be reviewable... slippery slope, however, this was not goaltending. This was a completed basket that the officials simply did not see go in. A play like that ought to be reviewable. That play cost the HEAT 4 points (The Bobcats went down and got a layup on the other end while the heat argued) and nearly the game. Can't have blind refs taking points off the board and altering game outcomes.

Sometimes calls are subjective and a matter of opinion...this was not one of them however.