PDA

View Full Version : What Do You think Was the Worst Offseason move?

xabial
12-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Well, Now that the regular season is underway, What do you think was the worst off-season move? The Worst contract given? Worst Trade a team agreed to? Or a particular use of the Amnesty Clause?

Personally, I thought it was the warriors. They have so many long-term deals committed under the old CBA, and they don't exactly have a history of success under these players. (5 years $60M+ to David Lee), (3 years $27M to Biedrins), (3 Years $33M to Ellis)

They used the one time Amnesty clause provision on Charlie Bell's $4M Expiring Contract.

Sure Amnestying Charlie Bell Freed up Cap space to offer $48M to Deandre Jordan, and $60M to Tyson Chandler but if they weren't sure the FA's would sign they shouldn't have wasted it. I personally would have saved it just in case David Lee or Biedrins, had major injuries later on in their careers or for Ellis who I hear many fans and nonfans of GS say he's a ball-hog and hindering Curry's development.

Plus Amnesty Clauses don't come often.. They come maybe once every ten years, If they decide to include it in the next CBA if/when another NBA lockout happens in ten years when this current CBA expires.

beliges
12-27-2011, 02:59 PM
It was handing away Lamar Odom and getting absolutely nothing back in return. Not only the worst off-season move but one of the worst moves in the history of the Lakers' organization.

GoPacers33
12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Pretty much any move the Lakers made

AtlantaFalcons
12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Nene in my opinion .. they should have just completely rebuilt. I think he is one of the most overrated players in the NBA and is at best a 3rd option, what was his contract 5 years 65+ million? Absolutely obsurd .. I would love to see a 33 year old Nene making 13.5 million a year and people wonder why we had a lockout :shrug:

Iodine
12-27-2011, 03:05 PM
The Charlie Bell was the biggest WTF move already lol.

Worst? Well Andray Blatche is allowed to exist.....

P Styles
12-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Gotta go with LA trading Odom.

DJcomestar
12-27-2011, 03:09 PM
lakers trade would be the worst by far... giving away 6th man of the year for absolutely nothing..

GS move amnestying Charlie Bell was biggest wtf. why not get rid of biedrins

Matrix3132
12-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, Now that the regular season is underway, What do you think was the worst off-season move? The Worst contract given? Worst Trade a team agreed to? Or a particular use of the Amnesty Clause?

Personally, I thought it was the warriors. They have so many long-term deals committed under the old CBA, and they don't exactly have a history of success under these players. (5 years $60M+ to David Lee), (3 years $27M to Biedrins), Ellis (3 Years $33M).

They used the one time Amnesty clause provision on Charlie Bell's $4M Expiring Contract.

Sure Amnestying Charlie Bell Freed up Cap space to offer $48M to Deandre Jordan, and $60M to Tyson Chandler but if they weren't sure the FA's would sign they shouldn't have wasted it. I personally would have saved it just in case David Lee or Biedrins, had major injuries later on in their careers or for Ellis who I hear many fans and nonfans of GS say he's a ball-hog and hindering Curry's development.

Lee was overpaid. When Biedrins was signed, he looked like he was developing into one of the better centers in the league, he has probably digressed since then but i won't hold that one against GS too much. People always talk about Ellis's contract but I think 3 years/$33 million is a steal and actually think curry/ellis make a nice backcourt, one of the quickest in the league

iliketurtles24
12-27-2011, 03:11 PM
odom!

king4day
12-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Ellis and Lee are big parts of that team. They could trade them and get value back so there's no chance that either would have been amnesty'd.

Cutting Bell wasn't the best move but not the worst.
I'd say dealing Odom. This wasn't at the fault of LA. They had the right idea to make that Paul trade but the league blocked it and now they are paying for it.
In the end, they could have gotten something good back for him and probably should have waited until a better offer came on the table. Like a sign and trade to NJ for Humphries.

Iron24th
12-27-2011, 03:13 PM
If our TPE gives us nothing in a near future,yeah the Odom trade.

Htownballa1622
12-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Kwame brown warriors deal

MTL_123
12-27-2011, 04:05 PM
La for getting rid of odem n the KNicks for paying so much for chanler i think they could of got a good center like him for cheaper

hugepatsfan
12-27-2011, 04:08 PM
GSW amnestying Charlie Bell. There is literally no good reason to do it. They wasted it on an expiring player. Maybe it isn't the worst in terms of its affect on a team's W-L record, but in terms of the reasoning behind it, it is the worst. No doubt in my mind.

NYMetropolitans
12-27-2011, 04:13 PM
LA trading Odom to the Mavs.

or Mavs signing a worthless IMO Vince Carter.

JasonJohnHorn
12-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Gotta go with LA trading Odom.

This.

Troy Murphy has been a huge help, but Odom just had so much chemistry with the players, especially Gasol, I see LA kicking themselves for that move.

njnets
12-27-2011, 04:42 PM
odom trade. he was so important to the lakers. definitely not a good move on their part.

Chi StateOfMind
12-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Odom.

Bravo95
12-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Bell move was strange, but yeah, it's the Odom deal.

lavilevi23
12-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Kwameehhhhhhhhhhhh Brown for 7 million $

KnicksR4Real
12-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Odom "deal"

shep33
12-27-2011, 05:45 PM
I'll say this, the Odom deal right now seems the worst. However, he does not look like he's in shape, and he's at that age (32 I believe) where it starts to go downhill. Right now for the Mavs, correct me if I'm wrong but he's 2-16 from the field this year, averaging 5 and 5. Murphy has been a real surprise he's at 8 and 8 off the bench, and McBob is at 4 and 6.5. I'm not saying those guys are better than Odom, but LA essentially saved 9 mill plus got relief from the luxury cap. We probably weren't going to hang onto LO after this year anyways, just like Dallas probably won't.

I hope he picks it up, because LO is loved by Laker fans, probably the best teammate any franchise can have. That being said, if his production still slips, it could actually benefit LA in the long run.

RLundi
12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Lakers giving away Odom for a stick of gum? :shrug:

dayreezy
12-27-2011, 05:53 PM
the odom trade and ill tell you why.. GSW had to get rid of Bells worthless contract because he served as a human paper weight.. he was trouble off the court and a bench warmer on.. everyone knew Chandler would pick NY and DJ would get matched.. so why amnesty 1 of our 3 starters if we get nothing in return.. FO would probably rather keep those pieces, see how they play and if anything splash worthy make a trade.... Biens is playing at a level i havent seen since 3 seasons ago... and Kwame is a total suprise off the bench these 1st 2 games... so i understand the Bell amnesty now... not saying i wasnt wtf either lol

Odom trade though.. 6th man of the year... your best player off the bench and a starter for when Bynum gets hurt... LA trades for a TPE.. TO DALLAS!!!... now Bynum has 2 games left of suspension, Kobes playing hurt and theres really no bench presence... sure Odom asked for the trade but get something back now.... i think when the CP3 trade didnt happen everything went south... oh well all my opinion feel free to hate.. :)

RaiderLakersA's
12-27-2011, 05:58 PM

This, with the Odom trade tops on the list. I'd fire Mitch, if I had the power to do so.

RaiderLakersA's
12-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Not even a stick of gum, just the plain white wrapper.

Hellcrooner
12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
odom for nothing or rudy and brewer for nothing-

LakeShowRaider
12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Odom for peanuts was pretty bad

MickeyMgl
12-27-2011, 06:15 PM

Only the Odom deal. Signing Murphy and McRoberts were actually pretty good, and they drafted OK.

Oh, and not conducting a more extensive coaching search can go up there with the Odom deal, too. Oh, and not focusing on Howard from the start, instead of Paul AND THEN Howard.

MickeyMgl
12-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Oooh, good one.

"___ sign Kwame Brown" is always a strong candidate for worst offseason move, especially for how much they're giving him.

However, this year I'm sticking with the Odom-for-low-1st-rounder deal.

mavwar53
12-27-2011, 06:21 PM

How is a 1 year signing ever bad? Some people just don't get it, that warriors made smart moves IMO, Amnestying a guy who went to court for drunk driving and showed up drunk to the hearing how can you keep that guy, Lee is a key part of the team, Lee is just as good as Boozer if not better and nobody is saying the bulls should have released him? Monta, anyone that thinks he isn't worth 11mil per year is just stupid, and Biedrins wasn't released cause they would have had no center if they let him go, releasing him would have given them more money to go after DeAndre Jordan with but if they spent 13-15 mil on him that would have been the worst deal of the offseason. Biedrins has played well so far this year and they have hopes he can get back to 08/09 form, just getting close he'd be worth the money, and he's still very young.

Htownballa1622
12-27-2011, 06:37 PM
How is a 1 year signing ever bad? Some people just don't get it, that warriors made smart moves IMO, Amnestying a guy who went to court for drunk driving and showed up drunk to the hearing how can you keep that guy, Lee is a key part of the team, Lee is just as good as Boozer if not better and nobody is saying the bulls should have released him? Monta, anyone that thinks he isn't worth 11mil per year is just stupid, and Biedrins wasn't released cause they would have had no center if they let him go, releasing him would have given them more money to go after DeAndre Jordan with but if they spent 13-15 mil on him that would have been the worst deal of the offseason. Biedrins has played well so far this year and they have hopes he can get back to 08/09 form, just getting close he'd be worth the money, and he's still very young.

Because he's overpaid. He might actually hurt the team.

The Rockets signed Samuel dalembert for basically the same thing.

Its just the worst for now.it still isn't that bad but I don't think kwame deserves even that.

The lakers were trying to dump salary. It doesn't look good now but there's a reason.l.a has some of the best management in the league.

topdog
12-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Hard to say for sure at this point because teams have played one or two games.

-Dallas probably is smart to re-tool given the age of the roster although they will look foolish this year.

-Bell was on an expiring contract so he wasn't exactly amnesty material but the Dubs saw this FA period as their chance to get the player they wanted/needed and went for it.

-The Odom trade was pretty foolish seeing as there is always drama in LA and it always blows over.

-I would've thought whoever signed West was going to get screwed, but the Pacers got him at a decent price and for not too long.

Wrigheyes4MVP
12-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Worst move was the Odom debacle.

Best move(s) were the Kings signing Thornton and Hayes to very reasonable long term contracts.

TO Rapz
12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Odom "deal"

I'll say this, the Odom deal right now seems the worst. However, he does not look like he's in shape, and he's at that age (32 I believe) where it starts to go downhill. Right now for the Mavs, correct me if I'm wrong but he's 2-16 from the field this year, averaging 5 and 5. Murphy has been a real surprise he's at 8 and 8 off the bench, and McBob is at 4 and 6.5. I'm not saying those guys are better than Odom, but LA essentially saved 9 mill plus got relief from the luxury cap. We probably weren't going to hang onto LO after this year anyways, just like Dallas probably won't.

I hope he picks it up, because LO is loved by Laker fans, probably the best teammate any franchise can have. That being said, if his production still slips, it could actually benefit LA in the long run.

the odom trade and ill tell you why.. GSW had to get rid of Bells worthless contract because he served as a human paper weight.. he was trouble off the court and a bench warmer on.. everyone knew Chandler would pick NY and DJ would get matched.. so why amnesty 1 of our 3 starters if we get nothing in return.. FO would probably rather keep those pieces, see how they play and if anything splash worthy make a trade.... Biens is playing at a level i havent seen since 3 seasons ago... and Kwame is a total suprise off the bench these 1st 2 games... so i understand the Bell amnesty now... not saying i wasnt wtf either lol

Odom trade though.. 6th man of the year... your best player off the bench and a starter for when Bynum gets hurt... LA trades for a TPE.. TO DALLAS!!!... now Bynum has 2 games left of suspension, Kobes playing hurt and theres really no bench presence... sure Odom asked for the trade but get something back now.... i think when the CP3 trade didnt happen everything went south... oh well all my opinion feel free to hate.. :)

This, with the Odom trade tops on the list. I'd fire Mitch, if I had the power to do so.

odom for nothing or rudy and brewer for nothing-

Odom for peanuts was pretty bad

Only the Odom deal. Signing Murphy and McRoberts were actually pretty good, and they drafted OK.

Oh, and not conducting a more extensive coaching search can go up there with the Odom deal, too. Oh, and not focusing on Howard from the start, instead of Paul AND THEN Howard.

Oooh, good one.

"___ sign Kwame Brown" is always a strong candidate for worst offseason move, especially for how much they're giving him.

However, this year I'm sticking with the Odom-for-low-1st-rounder deal.

Hard to say for sure at this point because teams have played one or two games.

-Dallas probably is smart to re-tool given the age of the roster although they will look foolish this year.

-Bell was on an expiring contract so he wasn't exactly amnesty material but the Dubs saw this FA period as their chance to get the player they wanted/needed and went for it.

-The Odom trade was pretty foolish seeing as there is always drama in LA and it always blows over.

-I would've thought whoever signed West was going to get screwed, but the Pacers got him at a decent price and for not too long.

idk if its been mentioned yet, but i think its the Odom deal.

Tony_Starks
12-27-2011, 08:20 PM
The Lakers goofing off of Odom and subsequent acquisition of numerous random white players........

MeLaPelan!
12-27-2011, 08:20 PM
The worst move by far is Jerry Buss giving the keys to the Lakers franchise to his half retarted son Jimmy...

MickeyMgl
12-27-2011, 11:54 PM
The worst move by far is Jerry Buss giving the keys to the Lakers franchise to his half retarted son Jimmy...

Winner for "Worst Move of the past Few Seasons".

DR_1
12-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Knicks picking up Billups's option only to waste their amnesty on him.

marj987
12-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Signing Vince Carter had to be the facepalm, of the offseason.

AddiX
12-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Drafting ends kanter is looking like a good choice right now. Too early to tell, but he looks completely outclassed.

xabial
12-28-2011, 12:50 AM

It would have been IMPOSSIBLE under NBA rules for the Knicks to sign Tyson Chandler to a four year $58M contract and still have Billups on Books for $14.2M. They would have never wasted the Amnesty on Billups expiring contract if Tyson Chandler turned their offer down which, he didn't. It was a waste of an amnesty considering Billups $14.2M would have came off the books the end of this season but they have Tyson Chandler to show for it, something Golden State didnt get for Amnestying Bell's $4M Expiring.

I think it was FAR from the worst offseason move, because a Trio of Amar'e-Carmelo-Tyson will keep the Knicks competitive for the next 4-5 years.

ElFuturoDeESPN
12-28-2011, 01:14 AM
Travis Outlaw to the Kings. What a waste of space he's been on every team.

You could say I'm bitter that POR wasted that pick instead of snagging Delfino, Mo Williams or Kendrick Perkins.

I would say you're correct.

Giancarlor
12-28-2011, 01:16 AM

Really? Is that your honest opinion or you just hate the Knicks that much?

To me it has to be the Odom trade. I think they got a TPE so they better use it but I don't know how much they can really get for that unless of course they use it for like a Steve Nash lol. (Highly unlikely)

Atownballa5
12-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Everything nets did...

rapjuicer06
12-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Magic bringing Jason Richardson back

Lakers + Giants
12-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Lakers gift wrapping LO to Mavs. TBH though, McBob n Murphy are playing solid for us. If we can get a solid player for that 8.9 TPE then we're gonna be pretty good.

Cal827
12-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Kings picking up Travis Outlaw... Whenever a team picks up Outlaw, you know that they are going to suck.

tcav701
12-28-2011, 09:43 AM
The NBA not fixing any of their issues before ending the lockout.

Mainly the officiating.

Hawkeye15
12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
The Odom trade makes absolutely no sense. You trade away your front court depth to the team that swept you out of the playoffs for nothing. WTF??

ink
12-28-2011, 02:21 PM
LA trading Odom to the Mavs.

or Mavs signing a worthless IMO Vince Carter.

Agreed.

ink
12-28-2011, 02:22 PM
The NBA not fixing any of their issues before ending the lockout.

Mainly the officiating.

And this. They got cold feet and achieved nothing with the lockout in the end.

BrandoCommando
12-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Dealing Odom to the Mavs. That's going to haunt them.

Bruno
12-28-2011, 07:43 PM
The single worst off-season move was Dallas letting Chandler walk. no way do they repeat without the big man in the middle.

it's early, but Odom has been terrible for them through two games.

If LA used the TP to get back a good player then its not as bad as everyone thinks, although still baffling.

If you're the Laker front office, what do you take. A 8.9 million TE, Troy Murphy and Josh McRoberts for three million or a disgruntled Odom for 9 million?

smith&wesson
12-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Lakers trading lamar odom

Mavs not resigning tyson chandler.

Flashsides
12-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Bulls sending Norris Cole to Miami.

Followed closely by the Lakers abandoning Lamar.

Captain Moroni
12-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Bulls did not send cole to Miami. Minny did.

rhymeratic
12-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Lamar Odom trade on Lakers part. They just look completely stupid and cheap. Should have gotten something better back for him.

king2218
12-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Magic re-signing J-Rich. -____-

Sactown
12-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Travis Outlaw to the Kings. What a waste of space he's been on every team.

You could say I'm bitter that POR wasted that pick instead of snagging Delfino, Mo Williams or Kendrick Perkins.

I would say you're correct.

I don't think it's that bad since he's getting paid right around 3 mill a season lol? I would say the Knicks signing Chandler to a massive contract, and I think the Lakers have a plan up their sleeves, Although I think if they would of kept Odom they could have sent him over to Orlando for Howard along with other pieces of course

Iodine
12-28-2011, 10:36 PM
2 things:

Bismack not going 1

Spurs not extending manu another 25 years

THE MTL
12-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Kwame Brown to the Warriors for 7 million dollars! Seriously who were they bidding against?????

mizo21
12-28-2011, 11:06 PM
VETOING cp3 TRADE, THEN ODOM FOR TPE

TrueFan420
12-29-2011, 04:07 AM
Kwame Brown to the Warriors for 7 million dollars! Seriously who were they bidding against?????

they paid 7 million for one year... kwame wanted more years less per but the warriors didnt want a long term deal so they paid him more money up front and seing as they had cap space and not much left on the market it wasnt that bad. the amnesty on bell was bad though.

ps. brown just out played chandler tonight

utl768
12-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Kwame brown for 7 million

Hopper15
12-29-2011, 11:25 AM
GSW amnestying Charlie Bell. There is literally no good reason to do it. They wasted it on an expiring player. Maybe it isn't the worst in terms of its affect on a team's W-L record, but in terms of the reasoning behind it, it is the worst. No doubt in my mind.

i'll also never understand the move. I could see if bell had two years left on his contract.

TmacBryant
12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
It was handing away Lamar Odom and getting absolutely nothing back in return. Not only the worst off-season move but one of the worst moves in the history of the Lakers' organization.

Lakers keeping luke walton was worse than trading LO rofl