PDA

View Full Version : Was it a good thing Eric Gordon was traded away from LAC?

LTBaByyy
12-27-2011, 11:06 AM
After watching his game last night when he hit the game winning shot over the Suns

I really think it is a good thing he was traded

1) He is out of Blake Griffin shadow

2) Its his team, best player

3) The Hornets will have a lot of young talent in a couple of years with these amazing drafts the next 2 years and free agents bc the veterans contracts will be gone

king4day
12-27-2011, 11:14 AM
It depends on if he stays. The best thing for them to do is lose though. Half of their fanbase might have been happy with the win but the other half might be cringing.
Also, I don't think the Wolves' pick will be that high. So if neither pick is in the top 5, then they might be forced to deal their picks to move up.

It'll help his career for sure though.

Romo2Bryant
12-27-2011, 11:22 AM
^ I'm pretty sure Gordon is a restricted free agent.

Mishmin
12-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Yep now he'll be the #1 option on a terrible team. Some players handle that position better than others. We'll see how he embraces it.

Depends on how you mean "good thing". He's much further from a championship. But after this year, will be more inclined to be a max contract player.

mdm692
12-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Yup he'll be a RFA and I expect the suns to offer him really big contract.

king4day
12-27-2011, 11:55 AM
^ I'm pretty sure Gordon is a restricted free agent.

He is but if a team offers him 15mil to the max, how likely is it that he returns?
If I'm him, I might want to begin building my legacy there and knowing that there is a chance some help comes via the draft this year, it might be a good place to be. That said, at this stage of his career, he has to think of money first. If a team offers him 15mil and the Hornets only offer 10, he's not going to give a 'hometown discount'.

Kenny
12-27-2011, 11:56 AM
It depends on if he stays. The best thing for them to do is lose though. Half of their fanbase might have been happy with the win but the other half might be cringing.
Also, I don't think the Wolves' pick will be that high. So if neither pick is in the top 5, then they might be forced to deal their picks to move up.

It'll help his career for sure though.

Any "fan" on GAME ONE that would root for their team to lose isn't a real fan to begin with.

Karnivore
12-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I dont see him being the "Face of the franchise", not because of ability, but marketability. He is a quiet guy that goes about his business. He doesn't have a ego, he doesnt give bulletin board quotes, and doesnt talk bad about anyone... In reality, he should be though.

daleja424
12-27-2011, 12:14 PM
depends what is more important to you.

If it is stats and money... hes better off

If it is having fun and winning... hes way way way worse off

thenetslegend
12-27-2011, 12:19 PM
he coud never be the face of the franchise but a very good piece to start with, he just isnt marketable

3mikee_
12-27-2011, 12:20 PM
This guy looks like a man on a mission. Going to have a huge season..

Sadds The Gr8
12-27-2011, 12:48 PM
he coud never be the face of the franchise but a very good piece to start with, he just isnt marketable

neither was Duncan. how'd that work out?

sep11ie
12-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Who wants to stay in N.O.? I mean, I love the city, but with all the uncertainty of the team's future it has to make a player question signing long term there.

Karnivore
12-27-2011, 12:50 PM

And thats why you dont see many people repping Duncan jerseys across the world. We arent talking the playing side, but the other part of the franchise.

beasted86
12-27-2011, 12:54 PM
He is but if a team offers him 15mil to the max, how likely is it that he returns?
If I'm him, I might want to begin building my legacy there and knowing that there is a chance some help comes via the draft this year, it might be a good place to be. That said, at this stage of his career, he has to think of money first. If a team offers him 15mil and the Hornets only offer 10, he's not going to give a 'hometown discount'.

I hear this all the time, but I think people forget that there is a cap on salaries depending on how long a player has been in the league.

A "max" salary for Eric Gordon actually starts at $13.6M. Also with the new CBA raises have gone down significantly from 11% to 7.5%. A full blown max salary for Gordon over 5 years starts at 13.6M and ends at $18M. It will be worth about 5 years / $76M. It's worth even less if he signs an offer sheet elsewhere and the Hornets match, only can offer 4 years with 4.5% raises at most per year.

A 4 yr offer sheet for Gordon is only 4 years / $57M. Easily matchable. He's not going anywhere unless he really wants out and only signs a 1yr qualifying offer sheet.

YoungOne
12-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I hope we will offer him a good contract next year.

Capital G
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
a good thing for his name to be more out there and $$$ when he signs a contract.

a bad thing if he wanted to contend soon.

althought you never know. if they draft well next year and sign some good pieces w. the cap space they will have they could contend sooner than later.

DR_1
12-27-2011, 01:33 PM

:burn:

Chronz
12-27-2011, 01:37 PM
No its not, he could have been doing the same thing in LAC alongside Blake+CP3 instead Stern had to put on his GM hat.

LTBaByyy
12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I will throw out a bold prediction

Eric Gordon will be an All Star this year

He is on a mission and looked amazing last night

JeffG20
12-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Who wants to stay in N.O.? I mean, I love the city, but with all the uncertainty of the team's future it has to make a player question signing long term there.

Maybe, but having 10,000 season tickets puts them in the upper part of the league and having an owner by march will help things. A new lease is expected shortly after

JeffG20
12-27-2011, 01:53 PM
No its not, he could have been doing the same thing in LAC alongside Blake+CP3 instead Stern had to put on his GM hat.

Um no he wouldnt, no way that deal goes theough with out Gordon. And Stern is well within his right as the league owns them

mttwlsn16
12-27-2011, 02:21 PM

not really that bold imo, the guy is a top 5 SG and the best player on the hornets. he could definitely make it

Chronz
12-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Um no he wouldnt, no way that deal goes theough with out Gordon. And Stern is well within his right as the league owns them
Dont care bro, Im answering the OP's question.

ombada
12-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Dont care bro, Im answering the OP's question.

The Question: Was it a good thing Eric Gordon was traded away from LAC?

Had Gordon not been traded Paul wouldnt be on the Clippers, he would be in NO or elsewhere.

So he wouldnt be doing the same thing next to Griffin+Paul, just Griffin.

Chronz
12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
The Question: Was it a good thing Eric Gordon was traded away from LAC?

Had Gordon not been traded Paul wouldnt be on the Clippers, he would be in NO or elsewhere.

So he wouldnt be doing the same thing next to Griffin+Paul, just Griffin.
The question was answered from my point of view (that of a Clippers fan), maybe thats not the way to answer this (I should be answering from Gordons point of view) but the way I see it, him staying in LAC with CP3 coming would have been the best thing for him.

This isnt something we can debate, I will always believe that the Clippers caved by throwing EG in there. I dont think any team that CP3 was willing to go to could have topped the Clippers original offer. You can say nothing to change my mind but if given your parameters the question becomes more complex.

shep33
12-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Gordon played really well yesterday, and you have to wonder if Chauncey can last 66 games at the 2 guard position. It works against teams like the Warriors with small backcourts, but I wonder if the grind will eventually get to him

AddiX
12-27-2011, 05:57 PM

When the spurs were in the finals, those series ratings were among the worst in the NBA. There's more Manu fans in San Antonio than Duncan fans.

That doesn't mean it didn't work out for the spurs, but at the end if the day, a franchise needs marketable players.

Cracka2HI!
12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
I think it's better for Gordon and the Clippers. We would have preferred re-signing Gordon to trading for CP3, but his agenst asked for $18 million per. He wasn't going to get that from us and we preffered probably to not even deal with him with those kind of demands. Quite frankly Billups is probably still a better player than Gordon and we really needed a closer like Billups this year, than an up and comer like Gordon who defenitely needs his touches to take the next step. Good trade all the way around!

airforceones25
12-27-2011, 07:03 PM

Not bold at all... :rolleyes:

Last night he played well but he is much better than that. I would call yesterdays game average at best. This is why Clipper fans were upset in losing him regardless of CP3. Eric Gordon is on the verge of being very special. He needs to be the focal point of a team.

This trade should workout well with both teams.

thenetslegend
12-27-2011, 07:10 PM

from a marketable point of view not well, when they were in the finals they had low ratings, i have not seen one duncan commercial in my life and i have seen 5 derrick rose ones in the past year

nolafan33
12-27-2011, 07:29 PM

What uncertainty?

A new lease will be announced keeping the team here until atleast 2025.

A new owner will follow shortly after that, and I would bet it's Gary Chouest who is up there with Cuban money wise.

Good GM and coach, the future has never been brighter. Take it for what it's worth, but Dell Demps said he and Gordons agent have already began talking an extension.

TheNumber37
12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Teams will no doubt bid on him this summer. He is going to need a big to open up his shot.
Because of that, Gordon would be best in: Orlando, Portland, Grizzlies, Spurs, Nets.
Grizzlies could offer Conley, Mayo and Pick for Gordon.

nolafan33
12-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Or he resigns with the Hornets.

Vinylman
12-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Teams will no doubt bid on him this summer. He is going to need a big to open up his shot.
Because of that, Gordon would be best in: Orlando, Portland, Grizzlies, Spurs, Nets.
Grizzlies could offer Conley, Mayo and Pick for Gordon.

Don't worry... he will get one in the draft with that Minny pick...

Andre Drummond...

Once NO gets him everyone will realize how bad the deal is for the clippers

BKLYNpigeon
12-27-2011, 07:58 PM
who cares, its just Eric Gordon.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-27-2011, 08:06 PM
He'll be there for 4 more years at the least. If he wants to leave, they can very well trade him for another young piece and start over.

It's a lot better than anything else.

HiphopRelated
12-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Yep now he'll be the #1 option on a terrible team. Some players handle that position better than others. We'll see how he embraces it.

Depends on how you mean "good thing". He's much further from a championship. But after this year, will be more inclined to be a max contract player.
well he was the 2nd option on a terrible team so...

Tony_Starks
12-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Nope. Had he stayed him and CP3 would've been the best backcourt in the league. Plus there is no way he sticks around in NO so Stern just basically screwed the Lakers and Clippers for "basketball reasons....."

HiphopRelated
12-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Nope. Had he stayed him and CP3 would've been the best backcourt in the league. Plus there is no way he sticks around in NO so Stern just basically screwed the Lakers and Clippers for "basketball reasons....."
He'll be in NO for a while..if he performs this year he'll get a max extension...nobody turns that down coming off a rookie deal

Sadds The Gr8
12-27-2011, 09:15 PM
from a marketable point of view not well, when they were in the finals they had low ratings, i have not seen one duncan commercial in my life and i have seen 5 derrick rose ones in the past year

It sounded to me like you were saying Gordon can't be successful or a franchise player because he isn't marketable. maybe he doesn't care about commercial and spotlights, like Duncan. I don't think Duncan cares about having low ratings. Guy has 4 rings and is a top 10 player all-time. I think he'd prefer 4 rings, than 10 commercials.

CubbieColts
12-27-2011, 09:39 PM
He will be an Indiana Pacer as soon as he is done with his contract in Nawlins..... He will be very marketable to Indy with it being his hometown and could be the cornerstone of a franchise that is on the way back up for the next 10 years! That trade worked out perfect for the Pacers and YES he is gonna have a beastly season this year!

mdm692
12-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Suns will offer max contracts to gordon, kevin love and westbrook its just a matter of who wants to sign here and probably a deak around 8-10 mill to nick young and oj mayo.

nolafan33
12-27-2011, 10:53 PM
I just laugh at the people who think there is no shot he stays with the Hornets, especially when he's done nothing but embrace the city and have already had contract discussions with the Hornets.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-27-2011, 10:58 PM
I just laugh at the people who think there is no shot he stays with the Hornets, especially when he's done nothing but embrace the city and have already had contract discussions with the Hornets.

He is a RFA. He basically has no choice but to discuss an extension.

Chronz
12-28-2011, 12:41 AM

no choice?

nolafan33
12-28-2011, 12:48 AM

That isn't the least bit true.

He could easily just say he doesn't want to be here and sign the one year tender and be a UFA the next offseason.

GhostfaceDrilla
12-28-2011, 12:53 AM
For all these people saying he won't be the face because he isn't marketable, Dirk and Duncan both aren't marketable and now they have a total of 5 championships and are both top 20 players of all time.

Eric Gordon is a great player and can elevate his game this season. I could see him in the top 5 in scoring.

thenetslegend
12-28-2011, 12:56 AM
It sounded to me like you were saying Gordon can't be successful or a franchise player because he isn't marketable. maybe he doesn't care about commercial and spotlights, like Duncan. I don't think Duncan cares about having low ratings. Guy has 4 rings and is a top 10 player all-time. I think he'd prefer 4 rings, than 10 commercials.

gordon will most likely never be a franchise player, he is just a great addition, i wasnt saying you cant be a franchise player if you arent marketable but it certainly does help if you are

Suns will offer max contracts to gordon, kevin love and westbrook its just a matter of who wants to sign here and probably a deak around 8-10 mill to nick young and oj mayo.

nobody :p

what else is he suppose to do?

GhostfaceDrilla
12-28-2011, 12:59 AM

Not a chance in hell that Westbrook leaves OKC unless Phoenix offers like 50 mil more. I could see Love signing with Phoenix if they offer the most. I bet Gordon stays with New Orleans. He seems like the type of guy who views the Hornets valuing him as the main piece in the Chris Paul trade as a very good thing so he'll stay with the team that wanted him.

That last sentence is kinda confusing lol.

thenetslegend
12-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Not a chance in hell that Westbrook leaves OKC unless Phoenix offers like 50 mil more. I could see Love signing with Phoenix if they offer the most. I bet Gordon stays with New Orleans. He seems like the type of guy who views the Hornets valuing him as the main piece in the Chris Paul trade as a very good thing so he'll stay with the team that wanted him.

thats what they all say

Raps18-19 Champ
12-28-2011, 01:07 AM
no choice?

Hornets will match any offer. So he will be there for another couple of years regardless unless he takes a reduced 1 year deal, which considering his talent, seems very unlikely.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-28-2011, 01:09 AM
That isn't the least bit true.

He could easily just say he doesn't want to be here and sign the one year tender and be a UFA the next offseason.

He's way too talented to take that 1 year deal. He's going to be in his prime. I doubt he'd take the 1 year deal when he can sign something around 5 mil for $80 mil.

mdm692
12-28-2011, 02:03 AM

see but phoenix has enough to offer 2 max contracts next year and still resign hill/nash/lopez using their mle's and/or bird exceptions(I think)