PDA

View Full Version : Is this the season we see some of the top teams decline and some bottom teams rise?

Gideon
12-27-2011, 02:25 AM
I recognize it is way too early to tell one way or the other whether teams like Dallas and the Lakers are on the way down, where as, teams like the Clippers, Kings, or Warriors could be on the rise, but eventually some of the lower tier teams who have had lottery picks year after year should begin their turnaround and some top teams will begin looking old. I don't want this to come off as an overreaction to what we have seen so far in these first 2 games, but as something that I have wondered for years when the turnaround would start happening and in this shortened season it looks like this year could be the beginning. Again, I'm not speaking about complete role reversals, but where we begin to see a decline in some of the older teams and start to see improvements in some of the younger teams. Thoughts?

MacFitz92
12-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Dallas will find it's way. They are way too good and experienced.

They just seem out of rhythm completely. They have a bunch of new guys like Vince Carter, Lamar Odom, Sean Williams (pay attention to him, he could be last year's Tyson Chandler), Delonte West, Brendan Wright.. AND not to mention the youngsters Dominique Jones and Roddy Beaubois missed almost all of last season. That's 7 new players that will see time.

It'll be best to let RC make adjustments in the lineup, and evaluate them at game ~20.

As for LA, they threw one away against Chicago (#1 seed last year), and I wasn't able to watch the game against Sacramento.

I think it's more than far too early.

latinofire21
12-27-2011, 02:39 AM
I agree with you. I think the teams with the Veteran Cores will do poorly this season because the games are condensed too much and they had no training camp to get in shape.

Teams the fall

Lakers
Celtics
Spurs

Teams that Rise

Knicks
Kings
Pacers
TWolves
76ers

kjoke
12-27-2011, 02:40 AM
For some reason, i think the spurs will be fine

Mishmin
12-27-2011, 02:47 AM
short answer no, long answer yes.

GrandDaddyPurp
12-27-2011, 03:15 AM
As of right now it is safe to say the Kings, Clippers, Pacers, and Wolves are all on the rise. I refuse to mention any other teams.

king4day
12-27-2011, 11:18 AM
The Clips will rise.
It's too early to tell for the Kings and Warriors.

The Lakers will be better when Bynum returns. Dallas will figure things out too.
It does look like both teams could be on their way down though (I felt that way before the season started). They lost key pieces to their title teams and both teams have additions that require major adjustments and time.

avon_barksdale
12-27-2011, 11:29 AM
kings looked nice last night but if bynum playd tyreke aint gettin in the lane that easy like he did

gs playin hard under mark jackson, seems like they headin in the right place

minny be lookin aight but they gona get a lottery pick when its all done

celtics be better when pierce returns, same wit lakers and bynum

i aint see much of dallas

okc looks legit

bulls be same story, still cant score

blazers looked good last night

todu82
12-27-2011, 01:07 PM
I think the Lakers aren't going to be as good this year. They have a weaker coach in Brown plus they lost Odom and didn't get Howard or Paul.

Corey
12-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Celtics are done.

Knicks, Memphis, Portland, Clippers, 76ers on the rise. Bulls and Heat are class of the East, obviously. Thunder, Lakers and Mavs are still class of the West with the Spurs in the mix if they stay healthy.

sep11ie
12-27-2011, 01:39 PM
kings looked nice last night but if bynum playd tyreke aint gettin in the lane that easy like he did

gs playin hard under mark jackson, seems like they headin in the right place

minny be lookin aight but they gona get a lottery pick when its all done

celtics be better when pierce returns, same wit lakers and bynum

i aint see much of dallas

okc looks legit

bulls be same story, still cant score

blazers looked good last night

Do you be typing like this on purpose?

Hawkeye15
12-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Yes, this is the year where the teams that have dominated the last 12-13 years decline. Its tough to see the Lakers, Celtics, and Spurs being contenders. Lakers have zip depth up front for the games Bynum will miss, and their SF position is a wreck. Celtics are old as crap, and not built for this super condensed schedule. The Spurs are in the same boat. The Mavs will figure it out, but without Chandler in the middle, its tough to see them anything more than the same Dallas team that won a bunch of games and then got bounced in round 2-3.

The bottom teams such as the Wolves, Kings, and Clippers seem to have enough talent to win a good amount more games, percentage wise. The Clippers may even be fighting for HCA in the playoffs for a round.

Its 1-2 games in. Tough to make a bunch of predictions that weren't already made a few weeks ago.

YoungOne
12-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Celtics are done.

Knicks, Memphis, Portland, Clippers, 76ers on the rise. Bulls and Heat are class of the East, obviously. Thunder, Lakers and Mavs are still class of the West with the Spurs in the mix if they stay healthy.

stop this celtics are done bs.

iam brett favre
12-27-2011, 02:12 PM
I think the Spurs will be fine. But i see the Lakers falling off hard this year

beliges
12-27-2011, 02:15 PM
I think the Spurs will be fine. But i see the Lakers falling off hard this year

The Lakers roster is mediocre at best. They really have very minimal talent on that team.

iAugust
12-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Do you be typing like this on purpose?

"Do you be" talking like this on purpose?

Chronz
12-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Mavs are done for sure, they look like the 07 Heat

Jay
12-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Parity is slowly trickling into the NBA ranks. About time. In the end, expect the same teams in the NBA Finals, though. But at least we're seeing some progress here from recent years.

ManRam
12-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Yeah, it looks like a transition year, I'm just not certain it will be drastically bigger than usual. I'm also not at all ready to count LA, Boston or SA out...

But still, this happens every year to an extent. Last year, NYK, Philly, Indiana and Chicago made huge strides from frequent under-.500 teams to playoff teams/contenders. Cleveland fell off a lot, Orlando fell off a little. In the West, Memphis, New Orleans, Oklahoma City rebounded/made big strides...where Utah and PHX fell.

Basically, it happens every year. Last year marked the end of Cleveland, PHX and Utah's eras...and perhaps Denver's too. Last year, Chicago, OKC, New York, Memphis etc. started their big turnaround.

There's always constant turnover...this year might result in more than usual, but it always happens.

Gideon
12-27-2011, 06:06 PM
I just believe outside of maybe a few of the top or bottom teams there won't be a huge gap in team records or a huge disparity in talent among the majority of teams. I also believe they older teams will struggle a bit in a shorter condensed schedule.

AtlantaFalcons
12-27-2011, 06:11 PM
3 years ago who would have guessed that the Clippers have a realistic shot at having a better record than the Lakers?

Cal827
12-27-2011, 06:19 PM
3 years ago who would have guessed that the Clippers have a realistic shot at having a better record than the Lakers?

lol not me, by now I thought the Lakers would have Paul-Kobe-Durant-Love-Howard with Charlotte's, Toronto's, Cleveland's and Washington's unprotected first rounders this year lol

A bit early, but I think the Lakers and Celtics and Dallas are done. Kobe is getting old and deteriorating, Bynum has glass knees, and the rest of that roster has bad contracts or are older too. All of the teams might get into the playoffs, but I see an up and coming team taking them out (e.g. Indiana/Grizzlies).

Venomous88
12-27-2011, 06:37 PM
I see more parity going into the future, but not this soon. The Mavs was on its back to back against a fresh Nuggets team which featured a lot of players who were playing in the Euroleague this off season. Didn't expect the Mavs to get blown out again, but they will pick it up and still be a top 3 team in the West.

The Lakers were in a middle of a back to back to back. With that said, the Kings were also fresh and played like it. The Lakers looked much better Christmas day and only lost the game because of a simple stupid miscommunication on Kobe's and Pau's part. Given that, the Lakers will pick it up.

However, realize that in a compressed season, there will be more competitive games and more balanced winning percentages amongst the league than if it was a normal regular season. You're going to see a lot more games were mediocre teams will beat top teams, but this will change by the playoffs and next season.

iam brett favre
01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Bump