PDA

View Full Version : Adidas sponsorship keeping Howard from Chicago?

Iodine
12-26-2011, 02:25 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34048218
Posted by Royce Young

There are a lot of things that go on in the NBA behind closed doors. A lot of things that happen for reasons fans and media don't understand, but simply because that's the way the business operates. Things like one-sided trades made only for money reasons. Things like why players pick certain cities to sign, things like why a player was waived or traded.

Which brings us to Dwight Howard. He's got a couple cities he's considering for his impending free agency next year or that he'd like to be traded to. Los Angeles (with the Lakers), New Jersey, Dallas or Orlando. But as many have asked, why not Chicago? Why aren't the Bulls, with MVP Derrick Rose and a solid pile of assets, in the running?

Could it just be the shoes? Via Yahoo Sports:
And as one high-ranking sneaker executive says, “Adidas simply cannot have its two signature players on the same team in the same market. … Derrick is the face of that market, owns that market, and Adidas can’t possibly have maximum bang for its buck with Dwight there.

“It serves Adidas no purpose. They need them as rivals in competing markets.”

Howard knows this, too. He has an Adidas renewal on deck in the next year, and Los Angeles and Brooklyn guarantee him maximum money.

I want to say that's ridiculous. I want to dismiss that. But that's real life. In the end, the NBA is a business and while all this talk from players about going somewhere where they can win championships sounds good, what rules the day is money and fame. At least for a lot of players. I don't doubt some players truly want that championship and the money and global notoriety come after (Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin and Rose come to mind), but things like sneaker deals do have a ton of influence.

Rose has a new Adidas contract coming soon which could make him the highest paid sneaker endorser ever. So it does make some sense that Adidas might push Howard to look places other than Chicago.

But think about this. It's crazy. Howard could team with Rose for a long period of time, giving the Bulls maybe the best 1-2 combo in basketball. And yet, potentially, some shoes are stopping that from happening.

That's the NBA for you.

ChitownSports16
12-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Imo I think this is what's keeping D12 away...

Young and Stupid
12-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Not sure that this fits perfectly into the topic of the thread, but here goes: I was very impressed by something that Rose said in an interview yesterday -- that he was going to make an effort to take less shots and be more efficient. If this is the truth (and we saw that yesterday) then the Bulls may offer the best fit for Dwight Howard.

I was of the opinion that Chicago wasn't a good fit for Howard because of Rose's style of play; however, if Rose can become more of a distributor and a little less of a scorer (which is closer to what he was in high-school and at Memphis) then it would behoove Howard to team up with him.

Prior to Brook Lopez's injury the Bulls could not offer the Magic the best possible offer -- it wasn't even close. But if the Lakers aren't willing to give up Bynum and Gasol for Howard (which I don't believe) then the Bulls may be able to give Orlando the best package.

As for Woj's article, I think there's some truth to it. Is it strong enough to prevent Howard from joining the Bulls if he changes his mind? I doubt it. But it's certainly in play. Although, let's not forget about the rumor of LeBron's Nike bonus if he went to the Knicks.

mnatiq
12-26-2011, 02:34 PM
I think this is so stupid.

Why would Dwight even care? It's not as if Nike or reebok or any other major player can't afford him. Why the heck should he care for his renewal wit adidas?

Celticsfan2007
12-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Dwight would just switch to NIKE if he really wanted to play for the Bulls.

Dwight's not playing anywhere where its cold unless its the Big Apple.

JordanPippen
12-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Brand identification. It was Dwight and Rose that the Adidas basketball brand was being built around - moresoe Dwight until about two years ago when there became a shift. I still remembering traveling to Shanghai and seeing Dwight and Rose billboards everywhere. It's not easy to just switch brands like that. Yes it has been done in the past with Kobe switching form Adidas to Nike, but nevertheless, I'm sure this has a role in why Dwight may not be considering the Bulls as a destination

Hustla23
12-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I doubt Adidas has that sort of power. Next topic.

Cal827
12-26-2011, 02:55 PM
**** Dwight Howard.

Sinestro
12-26-2011, 02:58 PM
**** Dwight Howard.

This

2doors
12-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Imo I think this is what's keeping D12 away...

that plus all you have to offer is over paid bums

shep33
12-26-2011, 03:04 PM
I think it's more of Orlando not wanting Boozer and Noah's combined $121 Million left on their contracts. That's not to say that they're bad players, i love Booze and Noah's game, I think they're awesome. But I just doubt that's what Orlando would want for Howard.

Bulls are a very nice fit for both Boozer and Noah, Chicago will be great this season with those guys up front.

utl768
12-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Nike has 2 of its 3 biggest stars in Miami so that article is ********

Wade for Jordan brand and the Nike Lebron line

Cubs Win
12-26-2011, 03:15 PM
I think it's more of Orlando not wanting Boozer and Noah's combined $121 Million left on their contracts. That's not to say that they're bad players, i love Booze and Noah's game, I think they're awesome. But I just doubt that's what Orlando would want for Howard.

Bulls are a very nice fit for both Boozer and Noah, Chicago will be great this season with those guys up front.

While Orlando may not like that package, that doesn't mean that's why Dwight doesn't have Chicago as one of his options. If he wants to go to the Bulls, I don't think he'd have a problem listing them as one of his teams even if it may not be the best deal for Orlando. You may be right on from Orlando's point of view, I just don't think you're on from Dwight's point of view.

ramsizzle
12-26-2011, 03:16 PM
that plus all you have to offer is over paid bums

Deng n Noah >> Lopez

Hell I honesly think Deng is a better player than lopez.

C_Mund
12-26-2011, 03:21 PM

...or if he just wants superior shoes

JEDean89
12-26-2011, 03:27 PM
ya adidas would be like well we're not going to pay you as much and dwight will be like screw you ill go to nike.

shep33
12-26-2011, 03:42 PM
While Orlando may not like that package, that doesn't mean that's why Dwight doesn't have Chicago as one of his options. If he wants to go to the Bulls, I don't think he'd have a problem listing them as one of his teams even if it may not be the best deal for Orlando. You may be right on from Orlando's point of view, I just don't think you're on from Dwight's point of view.

Oh I agree man, I'm not gonna go into D12's mind though... the guy seems unsure about himself, and has flip-flopped so much already. Honestly at this point I kinda don't care anymore wherever he goes, because I feel bad for Orlando fans. I'm sure they want this fiasco over just as much if not more than D12. The Magic need to move on.

The only thing that makes the Bulls unrealistic is outside of Deng, who has the most reasonable contract that the Magic are willing to take on, I think Orlando wants to re-build, or else get players with shorter deals and less money than what Chicago has to offer. I think he'd be a great fit in Chicago, don't get me wrong, but the likelihood of him getting dealt there is pretty slim, because in the end Orlando will not take on long-term contracts and a ton of money that is owed to those players. Essentially if D12 says I want to go to Chicago... well fine, but I am almost certain Orlando would just keep him and let him walk via free agency. The last thing the Magic want right now is a financial burden, again those guys are good players, but it's absolutely ludacris to take on that kind of money, even 1 of Noah and Boozer I believe is more than Pau Gasol alone is owed. I'm not saying he's going to LA, as a Laker fan I pray we don't trade both our bigs for D12, but trading him to Chicago makes 0 sense for the Magic financially. And it's unlikely they take Deng, Gibson and a draft pick for him. They might as well just keep him, make money off Dwight then let him go for cap relief.

Hester23Jordan
12-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Everyone has their own opinion. Dwight obviously doesn't feel comfortable coming to Chicago, and I respect that. I know that Chicago might be the best destination for him to win a championship, but he might not agree. As long as my team is good, I am happy without Dwight.

John Walls Era
12-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Always thought Chicago was the best option for FAs. But they seem to think otherwise and decides to team up elsewhere.

NYKalltheway
12-26-2011, 04:59 PM
that's capitalism and free choice of workplace for you

NetsPaint
12-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Oh I agree man, I'm not gonna go into D12's mind though... the guy seems unsure about himself, and has flip-flopped so much already. Honestly at this point I kinda don't care anymore wherever he goes, because I feel bad for Orlando fans. I'm sure they want this fiasco over just as much if not more than D12. The Magic need to move on.

The only thing that makes the Bulls unrealistic is outside of Deng, who has the most reasonable contract that the Magic are willing to take on, I think Orlando wants to re-build, or else get players with shorter deals and less money than what Chicago has to offer. I think he'd be a great fit in Chicago, don't get me wrong, but the likelihood of him getting dealt there is pretty slim, because in the end Orlando will not take on long-term contracts and a ton of money that is owed to those players. Essentially if D12 says I want to go to Chicago... well fine, but I am almost certain Orlando would just keep him and let him walk via free agency. The last thing the Magic want right now is a financial burden, again those guys are good players, but it's absolutely ludacris to take on that kind of money, even 1 of Noah and Boozer I believe is more than Pau Gasol alone is owed. I'm not saying he's going to LA, as a Laker fan I pray we don't trade both our bigs for D12, but trading him to Chicago makes 0 sense for the Magic financially. And it's unlikely they take Deng, Gibson and a draft pick for him. They might as well just keep him, make money off Dwight then let him go for cap relief.
You nailed it.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Why exactly wouldn't Orlando want Noah's contract? His contract is reasonable for a 7 footer who plays good defense, rebounds and can run the court like a deer while handling the rock like a PG on fastbreaks. Theres a premium on good centers in the league, and if Orlando is losing Howard, Noah is a good enough replacement where they can add a superstar through the draft if they get lucky at another position.

CTCUBBIES
12-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Why exactly wouldn't Orlando want Noah's contract? His contract is reasonable for a 7 footer who plays good defense, rebounds and can run the court like a deer while handling the rock like a PG on fastbreaks. Theres a premium on good centers in the league, and if Orlando is losing Howard, Noah is a good enough replacement where they can add a superstar through the draft if they get lucky at another position.

Exactly - The contract the Knicks just gave Chandler and the Clippers gave Jordan make Noah's contract look like a bargain for a good young center. People trying to lump Noah's contract in with Boozer's are just wrong.

rds1488
12-26-2011, 11:41 PM
the bulls ain't getting dwight but the trade offer would be a combo of noah/deng/ gibson/ asik and picks

Dade County
12-27-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with the shoes...

He just doesn't want to play their.

shep33
12-27-2011, 03:22 AM

I love me some Noah, but 5 years and 60 mill left, is a lot of money for him. The reason I say that is because you have to look at circumstance. The Knicks needed Tyson Chandler, they had no Center and no defensive presence whatsoever. They were willing to overpay because he was a piece of the puzzle... If a team is rebuilding, despite Noah being a good player, he isn't needed there as the piece to build around. What makes Bynum and Lopez more attractive to the Magic is that they are cheap and relatively low risk for right now, and easier to flip if they ever wanted too. Please don't mistake this for Bynum or Lopez being better than Noah, but financially it works better for the Magic, and they both are younger then Noah by 3-4 years each. But most of all, look at it financially... Lopez is on his rookie salary still, and Bynum will make 15 mill next year, and has a very important team option the year after. Bynum especially if he doesn't get hurt, becomes extremely valuable as a trade asset for the Magic in that option year... If he stays healthy, and puts up 20 and 12 like a lot of people, scouts, and Gm's think he can, he's essentially an expiring and potentially the 2nd best center in the league. Bynum can then be flipped for picks, young players, etc... or who knows maybe he ends up being a stud and they hold onto him.

Financially it's easier to deal Bynum or Lopez than it is to deal Noah if it ever came to it. Again, I love Noah, guy is awesome. But financially and for the potential ability to trade those guys, it just makes sense to go after Bynum or Lopez...

Even as a Laker fan I think he goes to the Nets.

Lakeshow24KB
12-27-2011, 03:41 AM
He could just switch from Adidas to Nike

But the stern would veto it....for basketball reasons

NYMetropolitans
12-27-2011, 04:05 AM
**** Dwight Howard.

This.

Who the f cares?

5ass
12-27-2011, 04:53 AM
maybe, maybe not.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-27-2011, 04:59 AM
What about the fact that they won't include Noah in the deal?

I'm not accepting anything from Chicago without Noah. And I hate Noah.

abe_froman
12-27-2011, 05:03 AM
What about the fact that they won't include Noah in the deal?

I'm not accepting anything from Chicago without Noah. And I hate Noah.

they most certainly would(hell they'd have no use for him if a trade happened),except if howard didnt agree to extension before hand.

back to the topic.yeah i can see it,it's better from addias standpoint to have the two top spokesmen not be in the same market

Raps18-19 Champ
12-27-2011, 05:09 AM
they most certainly would(hell they'd have no use for him if a trade happened),except if howard didnt agree to extension before hand.

I haven't heard of the Bulls making an offer.

And for the most part, it seems that Bulls fans don't want to trade him. I've heard of some saying that even Bulls management wouldn't trade him. :shrug:

abe_froman
12-27-2011, 05:16 AM
I haven't heard of the Bulls making an offer.

And for the most part, it seems that Bulls fans don't want to trade him. I've heard of some saying that even Bulls management wouldn't trade him. :shrug:

that was in the melo deal,different players require different deals.and yes,there are reports that the bulls have been in pursuing howard since it started,thats not where there is a breakdown,that comes from orlando or if reports are to be believed howard himself saying no

most fans would trade him if there was an extension of howard,hell i'd say 50% would do that without one(i'm not one of them, neither is our management).but there is growing distaste among fans on howard,a kind of "if he doesnt want to be here,than i never want him here"(call it stupid,but is understandable and something i share view of when it comes to players)

Raps18-19 Champ
12-27-2011, 05:27 AM
that was in the melo deal,different players require different deals.and yes,there are reports that the bulls have been in pursuing howard since it started,thats not where there is a breakdown,that comes from orlando or if reports are to be believed howard himself saying no

most fans would trade him if there was an extension of howard,hell i'd say 50% would do that without one(i'm not one of them, neither is our management).but there is growing distaste among fans on howard,a kind of "if he doesnt want to be here,than i never want him here"(call it stupid,but is understandable and something i share view of when it comes to players)

Ahh. I forgot that was the Melo deal.

But I haven't really heard much from the news with the Bulls being in pursuit. Probably because the Lakers and Nets are being talked about as the likely destinations. I can't really see the Bulls offering something for Howard outside of Noah. There's Deng and Boozer but their contract larger than Turkoglu's and even longer so that doesn't fit what the Magic would want.

Relating to the topic though, the reasoning makes complete sense but I don't really think that it is the reason that Howard isn't going to Chicago if he gets traded somewhere else.

abe_froman
12-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Ahh. I forgot that was the Melo deal.

But I haven't really heard much from the news with the Bulls being in pursuit. Probably because the Lakers and Nets are being talked about as the likely destinations. I can't really see the Bulls offering something for Howard outside of Noah. There's Deng and Boozer but their contract larger than Turkoglu's and even longer so that doesn't fit what the Magic would want.

Relating to the topic though, the reasoning makes complete sense but I don't really think that it is the reason that Howard isn't going to Chicago if he gets traded somewhere else.
thats cuz they're the frontrunners.thats where he wants to go,while we arent.we cant offer a good rebuilding package like you allude to which also hurts our chances.thus those reasons are why we're out of the running/why we arent mentioned ,but not for lack of desire or holding anyone back(with exception of rose,obviously) on our part

i agree somewhat.it probably isnt a main factor in his mind,but i can see the company not wanting it in any case

TheLegend
12-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Lebron wears Nike. Wade wears Nike.
U guys are fools if u believe this nonsense. :facepalm:

Raph12
12-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Dwight doesn't want to go to Chicago because Rose owns Chitown, period.