PDA

View Full Version : NBA's return draws big TV ratings on Christmas

Iodine
12-26-2011, 02:19 PM
NEW YORK (AP) NBA fans seem more excited about basketball's return than bitter about the lockout based on television ratings for the league's delayed openers.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hXUZEa8NbWbUBaIFSF2hITbrG4fg?docId=a919b07da efa4c70add1dc7be52541b2
The five Christmas games Sunday attracted large audiences, with the Bulls-Lakers matchup drawing the third-highest preliminary rating for a regular-season game on ABC. The 6.5 overnight rating trailed only a 7.3 for last year's highly anticipated Heat-Lakers showdown and a 7.9 for another meeting between Miami and LA in 2004.

Chris Paul's Clippers debut in the nightcap against the Warriors earned a 2.3 overnight, up 77 percent over last year's Portland-Golden State telecast. It was ESPN's highest-rated Christmas prime-time game.

The earlier night game on ESPN Magic-Thunder drew a 1.9 overnight, up 36 percent from to last year's Denver-Oklahoma City matchup. The afternoon's finals rematch on ABC, the Heat's rout of the Mavericks, earned a 5.6 overnight, up 6 percent from Boston-Orlando last year.

The Celtics-Knicks game on TNT to open the day drew a 4.1 overnight. The early game on ESPN last year, Bulls-Knicks, had a 2.7 on ESPN.

Ratings represent the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned to a program. Overnight ratings measure the country's largest markets.

So much for that all powerful "BOYCOTT THE NBA" crap we've dealt with recently

gotoHcarolina52
12-26-2011, 02:31 PM
The Bulls-Lakers matchup drew the third-highest preliminary rating for a regular-season game on ABC. The 6.5 overnight rating trailed only a 7.3 for last year's highly anticipated Heat-Lakers showdown and a 7.9 for another meeting between Miami and LA in 2004.

HEAT-Lakers is always a popular one

More-Than-Most
12-26-2011, 02:36 PM
The season started on Christmas with these kind of games...Did you honestly expect low ratings? I figured they would be higher then ever as well... That being said if they would have opened earlier in the month with different games the ratings would not have been the same. They had the benefit of it being Christmas and of them picking the match ups they wanted while football moved to Saturday.

I still think there will be a fall off down the line... Just give it time.

I am actually interested to see if Football buried basketball last night even with a packers/Bears game that everyone expected to be a blow out or an unimportant game.

AndyfromNeptune
12-26-2011, 02:51 PM
I honestly expected more people to watch the Knick/Celtics game.. i personally thought that was the most exciting game along with the Lakers game of the day.

Heat/Mavs was disappointing...

Thunder/Magic is blah..we see it all the time in the regular season

Lakers/Bulls was great..right up there with the Knicks/Celtics game

Warriors/Clippers was interesting only beacuse of Cp3..otherwise just another regular season game..

Dankster
12-26-2011, 03:22 PM
^^Knicks game was televised on basic cable (TNT,) not ABC hence the reason for the lower rating in comparison to the ABC games. It did draw over double the ratings the Thunder game had (which was also on basic cable.)

Sadds The Gr8
12-26-2011, 03:23 PM
this isn't surprising.

davids22
12-26-2011, 03:24 PM
I honestly expected more people to watch the Knick/Celtics game.. i personally thought that was the most exciting game along with the Lakers game of the day.

Heat/Mavs was disappointing...

Thunder/Magic is blah..we see it all the time in the regular season

Lakers/Bulls was great..right up there with the Knicks/Celtics game

Warriors/Clippers was interesting only beacuse of Cp3..otherwise just another regular season game..

I disagree. The Finals rematch obviously deserved a slot on ABC since it was the Finals rematch. I wouldn't say it was disappointing... I'm assuming you think that because it was a blowout. I for one feel like it was a great start to the "villians" seasons as they blow out the reigning champs in considerable fashion. Instantly puts a target on Miamis back as well as Lebrons since he came out looking fierce and determined to prove doubters wrong.

Lakers Bulls got the 2nd ABC game because it's the two biggest markets pitting against each other. One is the team who had the best record in the East with the MVP, the other is the Lakers which is enough said.

Knicks Celtics was a good game yeah, but those teams are expected to be 3-5 seeds in the East and didn't have potential pull the other games had (such as former MVPs D Rose, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James and the Heat team in general, not to mention the champs from last year the Mavs). Plus we didn't know how close any of these games were going to be.

Celticsfan2007
12-26-2011, 03:30 PM
this isn't surprising.

x2. It's Xmas and the opening day for the NBA. What did you expect?

Gators123
12-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Impossible. I thought nobody cared about the NBA anymore?

Hawkize31
12-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Impossible. I thought nobody cared about the NBA anymore?

Impossible is nothing.

AndyfromNeptune
12-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I disagree. The Finals rematch obviously deserved a slot on ABC since it was the Finals rematch. I wouldn't say it was disappointing... I'm assuming you think that because it was a blowout. I for one feel like it was a great start to the "villians" seasons as they blow out the reigning champs in considerable fashion. Instantly puts a target on Miamis back as well as Lebrons since he came out looking fierce and determined to prove doubters wrong.

Lakers Bulls got the 2nd ABC game because it's the two biggest markets pitting against each other. One is the team who had the best record in the East with the MVP, the other is the Lakers which is enough said.

Knicks Celtics was a good game yeah, but those teams are expected to be 3-5 seeds in the East and didn't have potential pull the other games had (such as former MVPs D Rose, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James and the Heat team in general, not to mention the champs from last year the Mavs). Plus we didn't know how close any of these games were going to be.

Nah i totally agree with you.. like the timing of the games for me was totally fine... the heat/mavs deserved national recognition for their excellent play last year.. but i figured that as the games went along alot more people would have turned on to the knicks/celtics game and lakers/bulls game...and turned off the heat/mavs, magic/thunder, and warriors/clippers game like i did.

mostly beacuse i wus hungry and played basketball with my brother...but if they were good games i would have kept watching

ManRam
12-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I thought everyone was boycotting?

dnewguy
12-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I thought everyone was boycotting?

Damn dude I have been staying away from the store or anywhere else where I can get exposed to beer. I promised myself to stay away from drinking till Dec 31.....just looking at your sig pic, I think I just broke my promise not to drink.

seikou8
12-27-2011, 04:39 AM
people lie and change their minds all the time like dwight howard