PDA

View Full Version : David Stern cautions against "mailing the trophy" to Miami

Wade>You
12-26-2011, 05:06 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/25/2561828/david-stern-miami-heat-not-a-lock.html
Despite so many predictions of the Heat winning the championship, Stern cautioned against “mailing the trophy” to Miami before the season. Stern reminded reporters that he said the same thing last season, and the Mavericks surprised everyone with its run to the championship.

The last time that David Stern predicted the Heat won't win the championship:

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/10/30/david-stern-supports-lebron-james-decision-to-move-to-heat/

"These roster changes in Miami have certainly occasioned a fair amount of publicity and it's kind of fun to watch all the speculation and the combination of 'mail the trophy to Miami' or not, 'play the season' or not, etc. But it's a great game and we always play the season and it always has interesting results.

A commissioner should never be commenting on the championship chances of a team in their league.

Cal827
12-26-2011, 05:14 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/25/2561828/david-stern-miami-heat-not-a-lock.html

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/10/30/david-stern-supports-lebron-james-decision-to-move-to-heat/

A commissioner should never be commenting on the championship chances of a team in their league.

A commissioner also shouldn't veto a trade agreed upon by the affected parties, shouldn't rig lotteries day in day out, shouldn't hire referees that rig games, shouldn't allow Owners to sign deals that got them to this lock-out in the first place, or plain retain Joey Crawford either.... but hey, It's David ****ing Stern!

bholly
12-26-2011, 05:16 AM
I see absolutely nothing inappropriate about what he said. He didn't even predict they won't win, he just said it isn't a lock. What's the problem with it?

Zweaty
12-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Ok? Watch him be right again.

Zweaty
12-26-2011, 05:17 AM
LOL are you declaring you self's champions or something?

shep33
12-26-2011, 05:29 AM
He can always veto a Heat championship.

_Supreme_
12-26-2011, 05:33 AM
All he said is let's not hand out the championship to anyone until the games have actually been played. He would have said the same thing about any other team.

I don't see an issue :shrug:

Cal827
12-26-2011, 05:35 AM

lol just imagine the article:

"After a hard fought seven game series between the Heat and the Thunder, David Stern vetoes Miami's game 7 victory, demands the game to be played again."

And that's where about half of the overall fanbase waits for Mcmahon to take his Stern mask off.

Law25
12-26-2011, 05:49 AM

100% agreed. If the Heat dosent win it all this year people would scream conspiracy once again. Just a dumb move

bholly
12-26-2011, 05:50 AM
100% agreed. If the Heat dosent win it all this year people would scream conspiracy once again. Just a dumb move

lol, seriously? He said almost the exact same thing last year, and I don't remember anyone digging it up as evidence of wrongdoing.

Zweaty
12-26-2011, 05:52 AM

Just smh @ your grammar

AddiX
12-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Stern is just trying to spin the fact that he pissed off a lot of owners amd fans by allowing Mia to build there team the way they did. There had to be a whole heck of a lot of scheming going on to put that big 3 together the way they did.

The ratings it's caused have been great, but realistically there will be 3-4 less teams in the NBA because of it, in the near future.

It'sMyTime
12-26-2011, 06:13 AM
This is the nba's plot to show that it is not rigged by making the heat actually win the title..also the hornets getting the first pick.

abe_froman
12-26-2011, 06:21 AM
trying to stir up excuse/conspiracy just in case?

as supreme said,he just saying for people to not get ahead of themselves by already crowing them(or any) as there's a whole season to play out.

Philapsychosis
12-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Oh, cool, a bunch of weirdo's thinking the league is rigged again. Cool Story.

Dude didn't do anything wrong. What's he gonna say "Yeah, the Heat will probably win, no point in watching any of the games until then"

knicks_champ
12-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Misleading thread....

He never said "They won't win" like the OP stated.

He said "cautioned against “mailing the trophy” to Miami before the season" which means he doesn't think people should say Heat will win the chip already before the season is played out because of last year. He never said, they won't win. He just saying you can't predict these things.

Stop trying to be the victim here OP.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-26-2011, 07:34 AM

It's not like he has any control whether or not they actually win a title or not. Then again, we have idiots here thinking that the NBA is fixed.

knicks_champ
12-26-2011, 07:35 AM
It's not like he has any control whether or not they actually win a title or not. Then again, we have idiots here thinking that the NBA is fixed.

It's a conspiracy (http://skepticalteacher.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/conspiracy.jpg)

Badluck33
12-26-2011, 07:46 AM
LOL. But if David Stern predicts Heat to win the championship he is the best commissioner of all time?

LOL!

Raps18-19 Champ
12-26-2011, 07:48 AM
I agree he shouldn't be commenting on it since he is the Commissioner. But it's a harmless comment. Only an idiot would think his opinion will have any effect on who actually wins the title.

PhillyFaninLA
12-26-2011, 07:49 AM

This is a commissioner that voided a valid trade so he is not really someone I consider a commissioner anymore.

12-26-2011, 08:12 AM
A commissioner also shouldn't veto a trade agreed upon by the affected parties

False, The commissioner was one of the affected parties, and he didn't agree..

SkipBaylessFan
12-26-2011, 08:41 AM
They got to learn to close out games. A problem that has plauged them since the formation of the big 3.

tcav701
12-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Threads like this prove how fair weather most heat fans are.

SteBO
12-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I understand when people say that the commissioner shouldn't be saying these things when he's the one running the league, but really? He's just reiterating what alot of people think here. He isn't outright saying the Heat will or won't win. He has a right to his own opinion like everyone else. There are other teams in the league besides the Heat you know?

Raps18-19 Champ
12-26-2011, 09:45 AM
I understand when people say that the commissioner shouldn't be saying these things when he's the one running the league, but really? He's just reiterating what alot of people think here. He isn't outright saying the Heat will or won't win. He has a right to his own opinion like everyone else. There are other teams in the league besides the Heat you know?

Thank you.

DR_1
12-26-2011, 10:25 AM

:laugh:

Anyway, :clap: for Stern. My opinion of him went from -infinity to
-infinity+1

nycericanguy
12-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Thread needs to be closed, absolutely false and misleading title. Nowhere did Stern predict MIA would not win, nowhere does he predict ANY team will win.

I guess MIA fans want him to come out and say "I feel like MIA is the best team and Lebron is destined to get his ring this year".

Rocco007
12-26-2011, 10:56 AM
You've been warned Heatfan...Take it from Lakerfan

Dolfan305
12-26-2011, 11:02 AM
He will veto the Heat's championship if they win. God I hate Stern

OC Knights #11
12-26-2011, 11:15 AM
I love this man. His stupidity is far more entertaining to watch than the NBA these days anyways.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-26-2011, 11:21 AM
How dare David Stern not declare the Heat the 2012 NBA champions before the season is played out. Doesn't he know the Heat are already 2012 champs, on top of 2011 champs.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-26-2011, 11:49 AM
stern said..

Sox72
12-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Can someone show me where on earth he says this????

Dade County
12-26-2011, 12:00 PM
unlike some people I believe the league decides who wins or not... so if stern says the HEAT are not winning the title, they want WIN... end of story.

But it's already been decided by the hire ups... HEAT WIN IT ALL, for a very long time! :)

The HEAT will win it all this year, unless stern veto's it.

It's entertainment people.

Rivera
12-26-2011, 12:04 PM
i dont like this at all...a commish shouldnt be opening his mouth saying i "predict" that they will or wont win the championship......it just opens the door for more conspiracy theorys

dumb move by stern he should just keep his mouth closed

kobebabe
12-26-2011, 12:06 PM
It's funny how the miami fans have already declared themselves the champions already! I say do not underestimate or disrespect other teams! Who know who will be the surprise team this year? Stern has all the right to say what he thinks

king4day
12-26-2011, 12:09 PM
I see absolutely nothing inappropriate about what he said. He didn't even predict they won't win, he just said it isn't a lock. What's the problem with it?

I feel the same way. This isn't him making a prediction. He's saying, just because you drastically improve doesn't assure you the title. He doesn't say Miami won't win.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-26-2011, 12:11 PM
I feel the same way. This isn't him making a prediction. He's saying, just because you drastically improve doesn't assure you the title. He doesn't say Miami won't win.

Sad to say, but that is an insult to many heat fans. They assume its just a lock this year, like it was last year.

whitemamba33
12-26-2011, 12:33 PM
This thread was made by the same guy who is responsible for my sig...so I'm not going to pretend that I'm surprised when he spins what Stern ACTUALLY said into "no championship for Heat".

I'm convinced it's some kind of sickness, so I'll stop there.

Corey
12-26-2011, 12:33 PM
I have no issue with what he said.

You want to commissioner of a major sport to go out and say "Well they're probably my pick to win.."

That would be awful.

RIPSweetness34
12-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Sad to say, but that is an insult to many heat fans. They assume its just a lock this year, like it was last year.

Well, I mean, they do have Chris Bosh... :D

MacFitz92
12-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah, last year when Dirk made those two game winners, it was a conspiracy by Stern.

tredigs
12-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Are you just lying on the thread title to drum up views, "Wade > Kobe"? I don't get it. That's absolutely not what he said, and what he DID actually say ("don't mail them the trophy, season always brings about interesting results") is about as PC/bland of a response as someone could give.

The league has started fellas, this thread really shouldn't be open considering it's only going drum up more pointless banter and is flat out dishonest to begin with.

ne3xchamps
12-26-2011, 01:00 PM
A commissioner also shouldn't veto a trade agreed upon by the affected parties, shouldn't rig lotteries day in day out, shouldn't hire referees that rig games, shouldn't allow Owners to sign deals that got them to this lock-out in the first place, or plain retain Joey Crawford either.... but hey, It's David ****ing Stern!

this. well said sir, well said.

nycericanguy
12-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Are you just lying on the thread title to drum up views, "Wade > Kobe"? I don't get it. That's absolutely not what he said, and what he DID actually say ("don't mail them the trophy, season always brings about interesting results") is about as PC/bland of a response as someone could give.

The league has started fellas, this thread really shouldn't be open considering it's only going drum up more pointless banter and is flat out dishonest to begin with.

agreed, dont know where the mods are today but this really should be closed.

Blatantly misleading and lying title. Stern never said anything even remotely close to what the OP is implying

Googilyotta21
12-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Yeah, not sure what the problem is here, with what Stern said.

Sandman
12-26-2011, 01:52 PM
A commissioner also shouldn't veto a trade agreed upon by the affected parties!
:facepalm: Hornets owned by NBA = Stern is the CEO = NOT agreed upon by affected parties.

If you want to argue that the league shouldn't own a team, that's another story.

:cry::catfight::cry::catfight::cry:

He basically said "anything can happen"

Just another conceited Heat post crying foul because they're supposedly too good to lose.

I suppose they used voodoo or some kind of shia to help Dirk hit 46% from 3pt land and 94% at the stripe. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE :mad:

Captain Moroni
12-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Stern envy

hgtiger32
12-26-2011, 02:12 PM
YOU MAD Heat fans that David Stern said let the games play out and no one wins it automatically?

Sadds The Gr8
12-26-2011, 03:24 PM
he knows he wants the Cheat to win.

numba1CHANGsta
12-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Stern is against super teams so as long as he is Commissioner, no super team will win the championship

JayHunter
12-26-2011, 04:03 PM
All the prediction are for the so-called experts. To be honest, I don't think they make the finals

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-26-2011, 04:27 PM

This. Its obvious why he would say that too.

But i also agree with the fact he shouldn't be commenting at all, because if we don't then people start getting suspicious.

VinceCarter
12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
No where did he predict anything and nothing wrong was said...

Sox72
12-26-2011, 04:44 PM
This is about as oversensitive and insecure as a fan can get.

ne3xchamps
12-26-2011, 04:46 PM
YOU MAD Heat fans that David Stern said let the games play out and no one wins it automatically?

pretty ridiculous isn't it? :laugh2:

Ladies Man
12-26-2011, 04:47 PM
The reason he vetoed the trade because it was a bad trade for the Hornets. Since the league owns the Hornets they can decide whether to go through with a trade like a real owner would do. And that trade was terrible for New Orleans. Although the GMs liked the trade, the league didnt like it since they are in charge of New Orleans. He didnt deny it because of the thought of a super team.

gotoHcarolina52
12-26-2011, 04:51 PM
David Stern is no match for Chuck Norris Cole

JeffG20
12-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Stern is against super teams so as long as he is Commissioner, no super team will win the championship

Boston says hi

Rosh
12-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Thread title is misleading. Editing to reflect the actual quote.

C_Mund
12-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Thread title is misleading. Editing to reflect the actual quote.

This. He never said they will NOT win. He's the commissioner, if he condedes that Miami is a runaway favourite then why would anybody watch his league?

LGhost
12-26-2011, 05:14 PM
He is starting to regret letting this "superteam" happen after last night. He has it set up though so that Lebron never gets a ring, it is all part of his big plan. Didn't anyone get his emails explaining this crap?

Corey
12-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Boston says hi

To be fair, Boston traded a lot of young players and draft picks to make their big 3 happen.

ClippersE.G
12-26-2011, 05:34 PM
nice way to subtly (1 game in) to give an excuse as to why the Heat will not win the Championship, David Stern. Good one.

ClippersE.G
12-26-2011, 05:36 PM
This is about as oversensitive and insecure as a fan can get.

Right? Like I said, pre emptive cause they know the Heat are not going to win the title. Good for them though they dont get caught up in the hype. The East sucks so they will prob make it to the Finals but once a real team plays em and that actually plays D its over

ClippersE.G
12-26-2011, 05:38 PM
It's funny how the miami fans have already declared themselves the champions already! I say do not underestimate or disrespect other teams! Who know who will be the surprise team this year? Stern has all the right to say what he thinks

The realists know the Heat are not winning. Its the same ole story as last year and same apocalyptic reactions when Lebrick chokes it away in the Finals again. If i were them I would start coming up with excuses as of now like the guy who started the thread

Maybe a good one is well Lebron James is used to playing 82 games?
The Lockout affected his psyche?
He did not have enough time to gel with his new guys?
He spent so much time developing a post game he forgot about the "old" lebron?

feel free to add

Birdmannn
12-26-2011, 05:58 PM
The realists know the Heat are not winning. Its the same ole story as last year and same apocalyptic reactions when Lebrick chokes it away in the Finals again. If i were them I would start coming up with excuses as of now like the guy who started the thread

Maybe a good one is well Lebron James is used to playing 82 games?
The Lockout affected his psyche?
He did not have enough time to gel with his new guys?
He spent so much time developing a post game he forgot about the "old" lebron?

feel free to add

Hahaha maybe Battier will get his *** working hard.

Ladies Man
12-26-2011, 06:05 PM
The Heat are the same team as last year. They still don't have a good enough center and Heat fans are saying they are winning it. I guess Battier is the difference

smiddy012
12-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Yeah... and 911 was also perpetrated by our government...

but seriously if you believe all that your might as well be a looney conspiracy theorist.

lvlheaded
12-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Okay good, Stern is gonna rig it so Miami doesn't win. We are safe :clap:

smiddy012
12-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh, cool, a bunch of weirdo's thinking the league is rigged again. Cool Story.

Dude didn't do anything wrong. What's he gonna say "Yeah, the Heat will probably win, no point in watching any of the games until then"

This.

gotoHcarolina52
12-26-2011, 06:40 PM
To be fair, Boston traded a lot of young players and draft picks to make their big 3 happen.

To be fair, Miami fielded the following scrubs from 2007-2010 in order to make their big 3 happen:

Blake Ahearn
Rafer Alston
Joel Anthony
Marcus Banks
Earl Barron
Mark Blount
Daequan Cook
Ricky Davis
Yakhouba Diawara
Anfernee Hardaway
Luther Head
Luke Jackson
Alexander Johnson
Bobby Jones
Stephane Lasme
Jamario Moon
Jermaine O'Neal
Smush Parker
Kasib Powell
Chris Quinn
Shavlik Randolph
Jason Williams

Oh, and they also traded their next 1,000,000 first round picks to the Cavs and Raptors, and gifted the former second overall pick to the Wolves in exchange for a second-round pick and a future swap of first-round picks.

Cal827
12-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeah... and 911 was also perpetrated by our government...

but seriously if you believe all that your might as well be a looney conspiracy theorist.

Psst.. Reptilians are taking over, pass it on.

beliges
12-26-2011, 10:06 PM

Youre right. But I dont get the fascination of "young" players by many on these forums. Does anyone ever remember who Boston traded for the big 3. They traded a bunch of crap players, but since they were young it was seen as fair? Same thing with teh Clippers. In 3 years nobody will even remember who they traded for CP3. If a player is young and crap, he will stay crap even once he gets older. Dont get the young player love by some.

Sox72
12-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Youre right. But I dont get the fascination of "young" players by many on these forums. Does anyone ever remember who Boston traded for the big 3. They traded a bunch of crap players, but since they were young it was seen as fair? Same thing with teh Clippers. In 3 years nobody will even remember who they traded for CP3. If a player is young and crap, he will stay crap even once he gets older. Dont get the young player love by some.

You think Eric Gordon is going to be irrelevant in 3 years? My guess is that it will be the exact opposite.

beliges
12-26-2011, 10:23 PM
You think Eric Gordon is going to be irrelevant in 3 years? My guess is that it will be the exact opposite.

Eric Gordon will be a solid role player. Nothing more than that. He will be the only one people remember. The rest of the guys were complete crap. But its not like Gordon is gonna be an all-star or anything like that throughout his career. Hes not that guy. Hes a solid young player but people seem to fall in love with players who are young for some reason.

Lakeshow24KB
12-26-2011, 10:39 PM

This.

Lakeshow24KB
12-26-2011, 10:40 PM

Lolol

SportsAndrew25
12-26-2011, 10:46 PM
He can always veto a Heat championship.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SportsAndrew25
12-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Can we stop with the conspiracies. The guy just simply said you should not think the Heat will automatically win a ring.

THE MTL
12-27-2011, 12:35 AM

OH stfu. Everyone knows the Heat has a high chance of winning it all. Its simple. So I guess you rather him lie right????? The man is entitled to his opinion....this is America.

And no you cannot rig the way players play!

JordansBulls
12-27-2011, 02:46 PM
I have no issue with what he said.

You want to commissioner of a major sport to go out and say "Well they're probably my pick to win.."

That would be awful.
This

tredigs
12-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Eric Gordon will be a solid role player. Nothing more than that. He will be the only one people remember. The rest of the guys were complete crap. But its not like Gordon is gonna be an all-star or anything like that throughout his career. Hes not that guy. Hes a solid young player but people seem to fall in love with players who are young for some reason.

Why do I get the feeling you've seen very little of Eric Gordon?

His game winner last night versus Phoenix is a good sign of what type of skill/poise they can expect from Gordon over in New Orleans. Dude's a top 5 shooting guard and just had his 23rd birthday a couple days ago.

TylerSL
12-27-2011, 03:13 PM
who cares? He just said dont crown them champs, look what happened last year. Almost everybody, including myself pretty much crowned Heat the champs with about 8 minutes left in Game 2, the rest is history. He isnt saying the Heat wont win, just dont think nobody else cant.

TylerSL
12-27-2011, 03:17 PM

just because a few fans are that way, doesnt mean all Heat fans are.

beliges
12-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Why do I get the feeling you've seen very little of Eric Gordon?

His game winner last night versus Phoenix is a good sign of what type of skill/poise they can expect from Gordon over in New Orleans. Dude's a top 5 shooting guard and just had his 23rd birthday a couple days ago.

Haha..Ive seen about 75% of all the games hes played. Not saying dude is a scrub. Hes a very solid player, a good role player. Im not sure what you think he will be but he'll never be a franchise player, he'll never be a #1 option on a team and he'll never make an all-star team. Hes not that kind of talent. Hes a very good role player and will be for his career. Not a bad thing at all. But some people on here make it sound as if the kid will be some great amazing talent. Hes just not that.

Wade>You
06-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Is David Stern some kind of sorcerer?

GREATNESS ONE
06-05-2012, 11:22 PM
:laugh2:

Green_Monster
06-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Of course.

Rivera
06-05-2012, 11:27 PM

sf-fanatic
06-05-2012, 11:31 PM

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Ha derp a derp.

greg_ory_2005
06-05-2012, 11:48 PM

Bulls_fan90
06-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Boom boom go to bed.

LGhost
06-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Anyone who knows basketball knows this team is terribly constructed

Lakeshow24KB
06-06-2012, 12:04 AM

aussie
06-06-2012, 07:23 AM
LOL get over it. You're whinging cos Miami isn't winning, people whining about Stern cos he rigged the lottery yet if you won you'd deny it, it's the refs fault when they get something wrong, and Stern owned the Hornets so he could do whatever he wants with them, and if anything it would of been Cuban having a little ***** about how Dallas didn't get CP3....so build a bridge and get the **** over it cos you're wasting your time whinging/whining/*****ing about Stern as he has actually done a good job

chi-townlove1
06-06-2012, 09:42 AM

This. Cry about it dude. You guys are gonna whine about the ****ing commissioner because your losing. Go rub one off and chill out.

justinnum1
06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Is David Stern some kind of sorcerer?

:facepalm:

Huntey
06-06-2012, 10:17 AM

You're offended that Stern thinks there are other teams capable of winning a championship? Plus he doesn't think Miami won't win he just doesn't think you shouldn't call them the champions if they haven't won yet...

It's threads like this that don't do Heat fans any favours.

Lil Rhody
06-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Bwahahhahaha this is the funniest thing I have seen all day

NYtilIdie
06-06-2012, 05:43 PM
When ya herp, ya derp.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-06-2012, 05:58 PM

He didn't comment about anyones chances... or lack-there-of. All he said was don't give Miami the trophy cuz nothing is guarenteed. Obviously.

rocket
06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Rigged

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Wade>You, quit crying! :cry:

SteBO
06-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Wade>You, please don't bump up old threads......