PDA

View Full Version : Did Deng Travel?

iggypop123
12-25-2011, 10:47 PM
the final exciting minutes of the Lakers bulls game was marked by a tough judgement call in which Deng appeared to travel yet it was let go. that allowed rose to hit the game winning layup. what do you guys think? think this evidence is pretty damning

i.imgur.com/XrTeL.jpg

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Perhaps he did, but it's okay, time for us Lakers fans to move on to the next one. Miscalls happen all the time during the regular season, you just hope they don't happen in the playoffs.

NBA_Starter
12-25-2011, 10:53 PM
I have not seen a replay but live I was pretty sure he did.

shep33
12-25-2011, 10:53 PM
As a Laker fan, I don't even really care, that's a tough call to make. We choked that away, but at least we played a lot better than everyone expected

So it doesn't matter... great game Bulls! :cheers:

J4KOP99
12-25-2011, 10:55 PM
It was most definitely a travel. Seemed pretty obvious to me while watching it live too...

The Lakers should have never put themselves in that position though. Lakers choked it up. Plain and simple.

TerryT
It doesn't matter. Even if he did, it's not like the Lakers didn't get a call.

chicago lulz
Really is a tough call.

NBA_Starter
12-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Earlier when the ball got stuck on the rim and backboard for what seemed like forever was supposed to be a jumpball too I'm pretty sure but it's the first game for the refs as well.

Bulls_fan90
12-25-2011, 10:57 PM
1:06 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfHVsSGm8Hk)

Tough call.

ChaseHamels
12-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Bad non-call. Cost Lakers the game..

Sly Guy
12-25-2011, 10:58 PM
I couldn't see his feet and the ball at the same time on any of the angles they showed on TV. My initial reaction was yes, but looking at it again and again, it looked a lot closer than I originally thought.

kozelkid
12-25-2011, 10:59 PM
A lot closer than I first thought. Either way, these calls happen every game. Bulls got lucky if it was a travel and I'm sure the opposite will happen sometime later in the season. Personally, I thought the officiating was **** for both sides. Especially in a big game like this. ****, they had a 2nd year ref.

NBA_Starter
12-25-2011, 10:59 PM
1:06 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfHVsSGm8Hk)

Tough call.

I will say this that is the first slowmo replay I have seen and that is a lot closer than I originally thought

northsider
12-25-2011, 11:01 PM
I think he did land before he threw it but, homerism aside that was a bang bang play and a hard call.

GREATNESS ONE
12-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Nope, he made a great play and passed the ball to the talented Rose. Great game by the Bulls, they deserve the W tonight.

NBA_Starter
12-25-2011, 11:05 PM
It didn't cost them the game regardless, Laker fans are forgetting the 4 missed FT's in a row

shep33
Nope, he made a great play and passed the ball to the talented Rose. Great game by the Bulls, they deserve the W tonight.

Agree, most Laker fans put this on the Lakers. Which is the right move

shep33
It didn't cost them the game regardless, Laker fans are forgetting the 4 missed FT's in a row

11-20 from the line, just awful. Your right, and LA is typically a good FT shooting team.

J4KOP99
12-25-2011, 11:08 PM
LA Plaxico Burress'd themselves late in the 4th quarter.

justinnum1
12-25-2011, 11:09 PM
It was most definitely a travel. Seemed pretty obvious to me while watching it live too...

The Lakers should have never put themselves in that position though. Lakers choked it up. Plain and simple.

This, yes it probably was a travel, but lakers shot themselves in the foot to many times. Tho lakers fans should be encouraged. They put up a good fight without bynum...they can def be #2 or 3 seed in the west.

Teeboy1487
12-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Ugh. Doesn't matter. We choked. Quit complaining about the refs.

AsiandudePH
12-25-2011, 11:11 PM
It was definitely a travel, but you can't blame the refs as everything happened really fast - imagine that happening live.

As much as I hate the loss, it was a great come back from the Bulls. And mostly everyone counted out LA anyway, some even saying that this is gonna be a blow out in favor of Chicago, so all is well. I didn't think LA would play this well, really.

Kudos to both teams! Great Christmas game.

Teeboy1487
12-25-2011, 11:15 PM
The Bulls won that game with stifling defense and of course we choked. I knew we kobe turnover the ball, I knew Rose was going to finish us off.

jmkh
12-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Lakers shouldve put the game away, poor decisions from Kobe and the four straight missed FTs towards the end. No excuses

LakersMaster24
12-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Was that a travel? Ehh sure. The fact is that the Lakers lost and they had all the chances in the world to win. They choked and gave it away. Good game nonetheless.

Ladies Man
12-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Close call, but good game. I think the refs were bad, but overall I think it was an exciting game. Good game Lakers, I expect Kobe to come back with vengeance in his next game. And for my Bulls, we need to come back with better flow on both sides of the court

Lakers4ItAll
12-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Yes he travelled but I don't blame the game on that call. Lakers blew a 10pt lead. Deff a bad call tho

spreadeagle
12-25-2011, 11:49 PM
hard to say...id say probably but thats so hard to call cause you have to watch his feet and the ball release time from his hands..watched 3 times still couldnt tell

chicago lulz
12-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Holy ****, PSD posters need to be more like these Laker fans up in here.

spreadeagle
12-25-2011, 11:54 PM

lol i know right..

ChitownSports16
12-26-2011, 12:07 AM

This!!! Always had respect for the lakers and there fans but have been earning more of my respect over the past few years because of there class act fans.

Anyways great game for both teams. Lakers surprise me with there good D. Ya can blame it at the no call but at the end of the day both teams had a chance to win even if that play didn't happen.

Cano-Montero...
12-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Maybe yes maybe no...But game is over...

Had a great time watching the game and COngrats to the bulls..

I'm very pleased with they way we played..

ChitownSports16
12-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Also forgot to say this Kobe>Wade imo

TO Rapz
12-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Why are the Laker fans in this thread being so humble. What the hell is this..

spreadeagle
12-26-2011, 12:12 AM
I find the Bulls crazy boring to watch..I mean as long as you win who cares but from a non bulls fan POV I just cant get into there games,I guess cause there coach is very defensive minded maybe doesnt make for great tv..but Boozer and Noah are one dull froncourt

chicago lulz
12-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Also forgot to say this Kobe>Wade imo

I don't think so, anymore at least. It's close though.

Bruno
12-26-2011, 12:14 AM
it was a travel. but games aren't won and lost on single calls. LAL blew the lead, had too many turnovers, missed four straight free-throws in the final minute, had poor clock management and straight up choked.

all the credit to rose and the bulls defense.

i'm pleased despite the loss. I called 6-10 point loss. LAL will be scary with Bynum.

AsiandudePH
12-26-2011, 12:15 AM

Lost our mojo in the nixed CP trade. LOL

Kidding aside, I'm surprised to see these posts myself. Prolly the Laker trolls are on vacation.

Anyway, I'm glad of the way the Lakers played and our new additions wasn't so bad either! So I guess it's more of the silver lining that we see amidst everything that the franchise experienced going into the season.

shep33
12-26-2011, 12:16 AM
This!!! Always had respect for the lakers and there fans but have been earning more of my respect over the past few years because of there class act fans.

Anyways great game for both teams. Lakers surprise me with there good D. Ya can blame it at the no call but at the end of the day both teams had a chance to win even if that play didn't happen.

Thanks man. We didn't deserve to win, your guys' defense was spectacular as usual. Congrats guys. D.Rose is unbelievable too, love his game, true MVP!

Merry Christmas guys, good win again. :cheers:

ayuntalo
12-26-2011, 12:18 AM
it was DEFINITELY A TRAVEL
but im really amazed by the laker fans reaction.. NICE! :clap:
Merry Christmas!:cheers:

Confusious
12-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Definitely a travel. (http://puu.sh/bxIE)

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-26-2011, 12:22 AM
This has got to be the most peaceful thread that has a controversial subject to it..lol

ayuntalo
12-26-2011, 12:25 AM
This has got to be the most peaceful thread that has a controversial subject to it..lol

maybe the KIDS that always mess up PSD is out on a trip with their moms lol

croce_99
12-26-2011, 12:25 AM

That's probably the best view so far, and I'm still not 100% sure.
Looks like the ball is out of his hands. Impossible to know for sure.

The call could have went either way and the Bulls got the benefit of the call.

Confusious
12-26-2011, 12:27 AM
That's probably the best view so far, and I'm still not 100% sure.
Looks like the ball is out of his hands. Impossible to know for sure.

The call could have went either way and the Bulls got the benefit of the call.
Looks like it's just barely out of his hands. Anyway, I was being sarcastic. He's still not on his feet, even if it wasn't still in his hands, it's too close for the human eye to make. If it was LeBron James, nobody would be questioning it's legitimacy. I think people have to accept that Luol Deng had one of the most incredible last minute performances in a game.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-26-2011, 12:29 AM
maybe the KIDS that always mess up PSD is out on a trip with their moms lol

Or maybe because the opponent was the Lakers and not the Heat. Imagine if these were Heat fans :speechless:

ayuntalo
12-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Or maybe because the opponent was the Lakers and not the Heat. Imagine if these were Heat fans :speechless:

hahaha i understand what you're saying..
but im not gonna comment any further :D

Kyben36
12-26-2011, 12:39 AM
IMO, no, it wasnt, was it close, sure, but I didnt see his momentum stop going down before the ball out of his hands, in real time, it was a good call, perhaps slo motion would tell otherwise, however, I do not want to hear Lakers fans complain about this. there where other instances in the game that could have been and where game changing.

Gasol clearly reached through Noah Nocking it off his Knee in a key situation, which was uncalled, gave the ball back to the lakers

Kobe Threw the ball away on a good double by the bulls, great play call by thibs by allowiing kobe to get open in the frontcourt and forcing the double team where he could not get away.

Rose made a dificult shot over Gasol, credit to rose for making the shot in a key situation. with or without the travel, it wasnt as if they gave rose two Free trows off a BS call a la NY Bos.

After rose got KNocked in the head by Deng, Rose pulled through, while this want any part to do with the game changing, it gave advantage to the Lakers.

and KObe still got the final shot of the game. fact is, while this was a big call, there where clearly other instances that where just as crutial, some of which where the refs, some of which where on kobe, some of which where in your favor. could it have been called a travel, sure, but it wasnt, its the first game of the season, there is a long way to go, get over this.

chicago lulz
12-26-2011, 12:52 AM

No need for these comments. Let's keep this thread a peaceful one!
That picture posted by Confuscious makes it look close to a travel, but it's just too damn hard to call.

Badluck33
12-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Close thread. Nothing to see here. Carry on, carry on....

northsider
12-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Seriously kudos to Lakers fans. This is so anti-NBA forum I keep checking back to see if I was wrong. Although it is shocking its very refreshing.

Rosh
12-26-2011, 01:03 AM
I do think he traveled. But Deng played like a monster in those last minutes regardless.

Rosh
12-26-2011, 01:05 AM
By the way, the Laker fans have been really classy in this thread and I want to call them out for it. Very upstanding. There are certain fanbases in here who probably would have gone with the civility of a three year old after 5 Red Bulls.

Avenged
12-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Probably. Doesn't matter though, could have gone either way. This non-call didn't lose us the game. We were up 6 with 1 minute to go and choked it away. Rose ended up making a very difficult shot over Pau! Shame we didn't have Bynum for this game.. If it was Bynum defending that shot over Pau, the outcome would have probably been different (or at least I like to think so :p). But then again, the Lakers couldn't hit a free throw so probably not. :laugh2:

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Really is a tough call.

I hope you're a girl...

Audubon
12-26-2011, 01:10 AM
He seemed to have passed it before he came down with the ball or just as he came down. It was way to close and would have been a terrible call had the refs blown the whistle there. Besides...on the very same play, Gasol was camped in the middle of the lane, which looked like an illegal defense and that wasn't called. I don't think the refs wanted to decide the outcome unless it was something very obvious and although this "might" have been a travel maybe it wasn't enough evidence to warrent a call from them I guess.

Avenged
12-26-2011, 01:14 AM
By the way, the Laker fans have been really classy in this thread and I want to call them out for it. Very upstanding. There are certain fanbases in here who probably would have gone with the civility of a three year old after 5 Red Bulls.

Our Laker regular are actually really good posters. In general though most of the Laker posters who have a few posts or who are new to PSD get really rowdy and defensive about everything. But I think for the most part is that we know what we have in the Lakers, and we know what they are and are not capable of. This was a game a lot of us were expecting to lose, and we actually had this won.. Until some mental mistakes came about.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-26-2011, 01:19 AM

I hope you're a girl...

My point exactly.

DamnGoat
12-26-2011, 01:26 AM
During the game I definitely thought he traveled and was kinda shocked it wasn't called, but watching the replay it was a lot harder to tell...really could have gone either way.

I don't think you can say definitively that it cost the Lakers the game either, they had several chances to put it away but got sloppy, let the Bulls back into it and they took advantage.

chicago lulz
12-26-2011, 01:27 AM
I hope you're a girl...

Why yes I am. I don't see how that has to do with my post...

shep33
12-26-2011, 01:35 AM

It does look like it's still in his hand, and that's actually when he's flat footed too. So he probably did, but again, we lost this game from bonehead plays down the stretch. Bulls deserved the win.

Deng was great today.

MrfadeawayJB
12-26-2011, 01:55 AM
thats a bang-bang play. Really to close to call. Was it ugly, sure, but ugly sometimes is called as a travel even when its not. The bottom line is no travel was called, and both teams regrouped. Derek Rose made a clutch shot, and the lakers had a chance to defend it.

Ezio
12-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Seeing it live didn't look like a travel, after all these replays still hard to see but I think it was. Both teams had a chance to win it. Great game even though it was sloppy :cheers:

Kyle N.
12-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Even with the replay I had to watch it quite a few times, but it looked likes a travel to me. I can understand them missing it though. It was just really close.

akagiredsuns
12-26-2011, 02:49 AM
Let it go. It's a moot point. Bulls won the game. Why don't I hear anyone talking about the missed free throws by Gasol & McRoberts? Because of them, the Lakers put themselves in this situation. Leave Deng alone. Why doesn't anyone mention the 4 big free throws he made down the stretch, the basket AND 1 off the missed three, and the big steal he got from Gasol?

Calling him out on this stupid travel is pointless. It happened so fast. I believe he got the ball off just in time. Is there gonna be a stupid thread on Kobe allegedly getting fouled on that last shot when Deng clearly blocked it? Get over it and move on already. Bulls won. Why do the mods even allow a separate thread of this when it should be merged with the IGT? :facepalm:

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-26-2011, 03:24 AM

Its cuz of the sig lol

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-26-2011, 03:25 AM
My point exactly.

No idea how thats trolling, but then again everything is... :rolleyes:

mizzacNYC
12-26-2011, 04:16 AM
Left foot looks to be down before he released the ball right foot was still in the air very close... U think Lakers would get the call at home...

pd1dish
12-26-2011, 04:23 AM
whether it was a travel or not, the Lakers were getting every call in the world in the beginning of the game, putting our players in foul trouble early. if a Laker was breathed on, the ref blew his whistle. but either way, it was an exciting game and the Lakers still played well except for in the last 5 minutes or so.

cubbybear2290
12-26-2011, 05:25 AM
I really don't know. I thought in real time that he really was getting away with a walk. But after seeing the multiple views over and over again, i really can't tell in any way, shape or form.

Also this is very civil.. Kudos to the Lakers fans for being so classy. It was a great basketball game, and good luck the rest of the season. I was very impressed with this opening night and how civil both fans were. :clap:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-26-2011, 06:18 AM
who cares, we choked

TMAC94
12-26-2011, 07:13 AM
I think he did after watching it five times over, but i couldnt make my mind up until the last time i saw it, would have been a tough call to make live.

basketfan4life
12-26-2011, 07:38 AM
McRobert and Gasol with that missed FT's, Kobe with that TO and his layup try over 3 defenders while he had an open jumper cost Lakers the game...İ didn't even noticed there was a travel before the replay, in the heat of the moment i can't blame the refs,it's all on Lakers...

Good game, and unbelieveble flooter by Rose over a 7 footer.

Daunter
12-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Lots of class by the Lakers fans

A lot of the LA role players played really good

LGhost
12-26-2011, 09:36 AM
That wasn't a travel, that was a travesty.... huh? huh? *crickets* whatever
Seriously though, even if it was a travel, the human eye couldn't be sure without a slow mo replay. Maybe the refs were shell shocked after seeing Deng clutch it up that they didn't expect a travel coming from him. Either way, it made for an exciting finish. The Bulls got to see Rose with the clutch shot and the Lakers got to see an early clutch shot from Kobe, just not his usual game finisher. I'd go with a :clap:

I think he wants to say you turn him on but has a bad approach.

dacamase
12-26-2011, 09:49 AM
There are so many travels in the game that don't get called, nearly all leading to baskets, what's one more no call?

I didn't think he traveled until seeing the slo-mo replay. I'm still not 100% sure what I'd call it other than a great defensive play leading to the game winning shot.

Baller1
12-26-2011, 09:53 AM

You read my mind.

its still early
12-26-2011, 09:54 AM
i was surprised it wasn't called just because the play looked so strange that the thought was that something had to be wrong. looking at the replays i can't really tell, but it was a surprising no-call on the laker's home court. very exciting game and props to the lakers for some serious defensive adjustments in the second half. they pretty much suffocated us and we were very fortunate to get the win.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-26-2011, 10:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTmiUSp3nrQ

Yes, he did travel.

Rocco007
12-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Traveled twice and phantom foul call on Kobe...and course no call to end the game...Deng had a helluva stretch to end the game...Merry Christmas!!! :clap:

CELTICS4LYFE
12-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Def traveled.....Troy Murphy did more for you guys than he did for us all last season lol

king4day
12-26-2011, 11:00 AM
If you replay the live play you can pause it and see it's still in his hands. I guess if it takes many replays to determine if it's a travel or not than it's 1000 times more difficult to call it in realtime.

Rocco007
12-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Def traveled.....Troy Murphy did more for you guys than he did for us all last season lol

Self-admiitedly..He was hurt last season...Never got off...

SANTHI
12-26-2011, 11:02 AM
watching it live I thought he did travel, and now seeing that replay slow-mo (over and over again) I think he JUST got it out of his hands.

SANTHI
12-26-2011, 11:14 AM
"I guess if it takes many replays to determine if it's a travel or not than it's 1000 times more difficult to call it in realtime."

^ THAT.

Kobe didn't foul Deng but McRoberts did, so Deng did get contact its just the refs called it on the wrong guy. and if Kobe GOT fouled on that final shot attempt I'm SURE he would've been complaining about it but he walked right off like he simply got blocked. It was just good defense I mean he had 3 guys on him!

It was an ugly win for The Bulls but we'll take the W.

Lakers will do more than everyone expects this year!

NJ#1FAN
12-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Who cares? It was a good first game and there are 65 more to play.

sep11ie
12-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Pretty sure the Lakers have had thier fair share of calls over the years... Need links?

stlbest5in2013
12-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I LOVE how people post here saying the Bulls post to many threads about Rose and their team on the NBA forum. Yet some other poster starts a thread about Deng.

Hypocrites, LOL

Rivera
12-26-2011, 12:16 PM
traveling? thats a rule in the NBA? they do not call traveling...

the refs may call it once a game maybe twice during quarter 1 or 2 but after that unless if its real real and i mean real blantant (like 5 or 6 steps) they wont call traveling in the NBA especially in the fourth quarter

Pierzynski4Prez
12-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Much props to the Lakers fans on here. I know a few other fanbases on here that would be crying conspiracy at a call like that in the last 15 seconds.

effen5
12-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Theres always been a mutual respect between the Lakers and the Bulls though.

Anyways lock this thread up before it gets ugly? JK.

It was a fantastic game regardless.

Jenceman
12-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Eh, probably a travel, but it shouldn't have even mattered. The Lakers blew their chance to seal the game, and the Bulls capitalized. Kudos to them. I really liked what I saw out of the Lakers though. Their bench won't be as horrible as previously though.

Lakers + Giants
12-26-2011, 08:24 PM
We should have never let it come down to the last play in the first place. We just ****ed up. Great game, sucks we came out of it with the L. . .:sigh:

Bruno
12-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Let it go. It's a moot point. Bulls won the game. Why don't I hear anyone talking about the missed free throws by Gasol & McRoberts? Because of them, the Lakers put themselves in this situation. Leave Deng alone. Why doesn't anyone mention the 4 big free throws he made down the stretch, the basket AND 1 off the missed three, and the big steal he got from Gasol?

You didn't read through this thread before you posted.

Flashsides
12-27-2011, 02:34 AM
Yeah he traveled. Said it as soon as it happened.

That said, (insert one of the oft-posted caveats about how the Lakers shouldn't have let the game get into that position here)

Also, Kobe should have stepped back or gone with a fadeaway for the win; he was stroking them.

Wade>You
12-28-2011, 06:15 PM
First off, I want to say that the Laker fans have been nothing but great in this thread. After all you've endured during this offseason, it takes a lot of maturity to say "bad call, but not the reason we lost the game."

With that said, shame on the Bulls fans!

It was clearly a travel. After the Lakers fans said it didn't cost them the game, the least you can do is admit that it was a travel.

Raph12
12-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Definitely travelled, but the Lakers lost that game, they choked late plain and simple.

ChicagoJ
12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Looks like it could have been a travel, but it's not easy to tell even when watching the replay. Refs probably didn't want to decide the game on a call. Fun game to watch. Lakers looked great most of the game.