PDA

View Full Version : Why No Supporters Groups for NBA?

jrands
12-25-2011, 03:00 PM
I posed this in the Lakers forums, but wanted to hear others thoughts on this topic as well. Why is it that there aren't any supporters groups in the NBA? Is it because the most fanatical fans are priced out? Just speaking for the Lakers, they price out their most hardcore fans which eliminates or greatly reduces the possibility of a supporters group to happen. There's a reason why Staples Center is a snooze fest most of the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there really doesn't appear to be any history and too many known supporter groups for the big four US professional sports (i.e., basketball, american football, hockey, and baseball) except to maybe a certain extent the NFL (e.g., the Raiders' black hole).

Just in case you don't know what a supporters group is, it's basically an organized group of fanatical fans that attend games and typically have a section of their own. They create cheers and chants that are done during the game. Again, very common and is a staple for professional soccer clubs here in the US and around the world. The student section at college b-ball games most closely resembles these supporters groups.

I follow soccer closely and every soccer club, no matter where in the world and level has at least one supporter group. The Los Angeles Galaxy has at least 3 very active supporters group: The Angel City Brigade, The LA Riot Squad, and The Galaxians. They definitely add to the atmosphere of the game and have team chants and whatnot. These are groups that are officially recognized and supported by the Galaxy.

It would be great if NBA teams fostered environments conducive to the creation of organized fan supporters group rather than just a random group of drunken friends. It would create something akin to the college hoops atmosphere and the atmosphere found at soccer games such as the ones in Portland and Seattle. The atmospheres found during a home Duke or Stanford basketball game and a Sounders or Timbers soccer home game are created organically and are real. Monitors and announcers aren't needed to tell the spectators when and what to cheer unlike the NBA, which is really contrived IMO. Being a Lakers fan, I can only imagine the possibilities during a nationally televised game and the types of chants regarding the NBA's own Mr. Stern or against someone like Paul "Wheelchair" Pierce, Lebron, and D-Wade.

jrands
12-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Hmm...so no comments either way huh? Is this because most of you aren't even aware of what fan supporters groups are or just don't care about this topic? If the latter, that's fine too, I'm just curious to see if the idea of a supporters group is even in the consciousness of NBA fans or if it's a a completely foreign idea to you all.