PDA

View Full Version : Kobe doesn't have say with management??

BALLER R
12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't think he has any reason to lie about it. But I also don't understand why management wouldn't consult with kobe on moves like a lot of other franchises do with their superstar.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/lakers_face_uphill_battle_in_tough_uNdKkxa6q45w1dR 2Hp07dM

Hey, Im just a player. I have no input concerning anything that happens here. In fact, I learned wed hired our coach from reading it online. I cant remember the last time I had a conversation with Jimmy [Buss, managing owner]. Occasionally, Ill cross paths with Mitch [Kupchak, general manager] and well speak for a couple minutes about nothing really.

Ive never known whats going on. Thats why I went public [in May 2007] and demanded a trade. When it became obvious to me that management wasnt trying to compete for a championship, I felt my only recourse was to embarrass [owner Jerry Buss] into doing it.

Reversed86Curse
12-25-2011, 11:03 AM
why would he? He's an employee

Lakers4life08
12-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Well now Lakers can forget about winning NBA ring for long time...this Lakers squad is garbage at best,only 4-5 players a good others a total joke

B'sCeltsPatsSox
12-25-2011, 11:06 AM
They shouldn't have to consult with him. Kobe isn't the GM or the owner of the team.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-25-2011, 11:06 AM
15 yrs of service, 7 NBA Finals appearances, 5 NBA Titles, 1 League MVP, 4 ASG MVPs, 2 Finals MVPs, 4 Scoring Titles, 1 Slam Dunk Title.

Yeah, he should definitely have no say whatsoever. :rolleyes:

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-25-2011, 11:07 AM
They shouldn't have to consult with him. Kobe isn't the GM or the owner of the team.

"Sometimes, it takes pressure to create a diamond". -Kobe Bryant on the Pau Gasol trade, Friday February 1st, 2008. (When asked about his trade demand in the summer of 2007).

Squad13
12-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Lol @ the " why would he? Hes an employee comments" save your conservative rhetoric for an instance when it could make sense. Why shouldnt they want his opinion ?

naps
12-25-2011, 11:25 AM
15 yrs of service, 7 NBA Finals appearances, 5 NBA Titles, 1 League MVP, 4 ASG MVPs, 2 Finals MVPs, 4 Scoring Titles, 1 Slam Dunk Title.

Yeah, he should definitely have no say whatsoever. :rolleyes:

No offense but if you really think just because Kobe has been a very successful Laker he should have a say on moves you are an idiot. You got a GM and the owner himself for that. I mean they can discuss with him if they want to but it's not an obligation like you are making it sound like.

tredigs
12-25-2011, 11:46 AM
No offense but if you really think just because Kobe has been a very successful Laker he should have a say on moves you are an idiot. You got a GM and the owner himself for that. I mean they can discuss with him if they want to but it's not an obligation like you are making it sound like.

I definitely wouldn't consider it idiotic. You're talking about the top money-maker of your entire business. There's strong arguments that Kobe and Lebron are worth ~100 million a year to whatever franchise they are currently playing on, and that is not a player you want demanding trade talks because he's unhappy with what direction the Lakers are heading and how they're dealing with his (former) teammate(s).

You can still make the argument that it's in the organizations best interest to maintain a policy to never discuss trade talks with their players (for plenty of reasons), but Kobe's importance to the organization goes far beyond just the rings - he's essentially vicariously writing the paychecks for Buss to the entire Lakers payroll (and I don't just mean the players).

BALLER R
12-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I think when you have a franchise player you should atleast have a meeting with him and say hey this is what we're trying to do and these are the guys we want to target. At the end of the day the players coming in are gonna be playing with your franchise so wouldn't you want the face on your franchise on the same page as you. Yes he is an employee but the NBA isn't a 9-5 job the same things don't apply. your doing on thing and Kobe's thinking another thing. so when all comes out its WTF. then thats when you hear the trade talks and i want out. this is one of the reason Orlando and Dwight Howard are having problems.

naps
12-25-2011, 12:09 PM
I definitely wouldn't consider it idiotic. You're talking about the top money-maker of your entire business. There's strong arguments that Kobe and Lebron are worth ~100 million a year to whatever franchise they are currently playing on, and that is not a player you want demanding trade talks because he's unhappy with what direction the Lakers are heading and how they're dealing with his (former) teammate(s).

You can still make the argument that it's in the organizations best interest to maintain a policy to never discuss trade talks with their players (for plenty of reasons), but Kobe's importance to the organization goes far beyond just the rings - he's essentially vicariously writing the paychecks for Buss to the entire Lakers payroll (and I don't just mean the players).

Understand all but still doesn't make it an obligation. It's a fair policy. So Buss family isn't bound to discuss it with Kobe; They could if they wanted but you can't blame them if they didn't. Kobe makes them money true but when was the last time that franchise didn't make mad money? It's not as if LeBron James in Cleveland. Lakers were great without Kobe, they are great with Kobe, and they will be great without him. I am not a Laker fan but I admit that I have complete faith over their owners and FO. They freaking know what they do most of the time. And they could care less about a 33 year old cornerstone. Who ever thought they would not care about Shaq and trade him? Buss family was smart because they knew Shaq was 32 and they were not emotional so they decided to move on for the younger future.

GrumpyOldMan
12-25-2011, 12:13 PM
There are only a very few players who should have any say as to the direction the team takes. They are franchise players with several years of tenure. Kobe is one of them. In my opinion only him, Disco Dirk and Tim Duncan should have that kind of pull with their team. They shouldn't make personel decisions, but should be kept in the loop. Just my opinion.

PhillyFaninLA
12-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Kobe could say you put shoes on your feet and I'd still have a hard time believing him. He has proven time and time again he is a liar and will only say what will play well in the media.

Of course a superstar has some say, he does not make the decisions but he has say, its common sense.

PhillyFaninLA
12-25-2011, 12:18 PM
“Hey, I’m just a player. I have no input concerning anything that happens here. In fact, I learned we’d hired our coach from reading it online. I can’t remember the last time I had a conversation with Jimmy [Buss, managing owner]. Occasionally, I’ll cross paths with Mitch [Kupchak, general manager] and we’ll speak for a couple minutes about nothing really.

GM's talk to coaches and players or they are not doing there job. That is a bold face lie right there. Maybe he talks to the owner maybe he does not, but he speaks to Kupchak on a some what regular basis because Mitch is to good at his job not to. No way in hell did Kobe not know who the coach was going to be before the coach was signed.

I can't wait for cameras to never be near Kobe again. He is just a bad guy and a liar. But some people don't care because he can play basketball better then most ever.

BALLER R
12-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Iuno i mean he has been saying that for a while that he didn't know who the coach was gonna be. If im not mistaken didn't kobe want Shaw to be the new coach.

Reversed86Curse
12-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Lol @ the " why would he? Hes an employee comments" save your conservative rhetoric for an instance when it could make sense. Why shouldnt they want his opinion ?

I agree that they should inquire to his opinion, but that doesn't mean that he should be a deciding factor. It's a business, he's an employee but he's earned the right to have his opinion heard first, no more though. Sorry if you disagree

Lakeshow24KB
12-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Iuno i mean he has been saying that for a while that he didn't know who the coach was gonna be.[B] If im not mistaken didn't kobe want Shaw to be the new coach.[B]

I think he did because he had a pretty good relationship with him.

boolish
12-25-2011, 03:26 PM
kobe has 5 rings. I think he understands that's enough and that if he doesn't get another so what. You see where his priorities are now. being #1 with the groupies.

Jay
12-25-2011, 04:20 PM
kobe has 5 rings. I think he understands that's enough and that if he doesn't get another so what. You see where his priorities are now. Being #1 with the groupies.

lmao

Chronz
12-25-2011, 09:06 PM
They only consult him when hes a FA

curtcocaine
12-25-2011, 09:30 PM
You should get at kobe! At the end of the day kobes going to be playing with him i'm pretty sure he knows who he wants to play with at this stage of his career.