PDA

View Full Version : Kenyon Martin & Knicks Share Mutual Interest

Punk
12-24-2011, 01:30 PM
The Knicks have one roster spot still open entering tomorrow’s season opener, and Carmelo Anthony hopes it eventually goes to his former Nuggets teammate Kenyon Martin, according to an NBA source.

According to the source, Anthony wants Martin in New York, though he is not permitted to sign a contract until March, when his Chinese team is through with the playoffs. The rugged forward was bought out earlier this week and was expected home for the holidays.

The source said Martin considers the Knicks his top choice, partly because of his friendship with Anthony. They became tight during their nearly seven seasons together in Denver. Martin could fill the role of another gritty big man off the bench with athleticism.

The Knicks have their $2.5 million room exception to offer the ex-Net, who reportedly did not look good in China. But people close to Martin said he was unhappy there and was just collecting a paycheck during the lockout. Nevertheless, by Chinese Basketball Association rules, he is not allowed to play for an NBA team until his Chinese club, Xinjiang, is done.

Martin’s new agent is New Jersey-based Andy Miller.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/melo_backs_mart_shop_HyuuyujsUgZlgLJUGX9x2K#ixzz1h TSOzjtQ

Agent are you to make your client sign such a terrible contract in China?

mdm692
12-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I saw this earlier and thought how great of a a frontcourt this would be with Stat/Kmart/Chandler

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-24-2011, 01:39 PM
he would be a good signing

njnets
12-24-2011, 01:45 PM
would be a great player for them off the bench. who's their first front line player off the bench? jeffries?

nyfinest4life
12-24-2011, 01:45 PM
kmart would be a real good signing for the knicks

lvlheaded
12-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Would love to get K-Mart. It sucks we'd have to wait till march though. Curse you China! :mad:

Iodine
12-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Knicks organization ive heard that for a first date you should buy dinner, or in this case a decent contract

shep33
12-24-2011, 02:06 PM
have to wait till March which sucks. Then you have to pray that he's healthy and in shape, while finding his way in the rotation. Still better than Jeffries

oak2455
12-24-2011, 02:08 PM
would be a great player for them off the bench. who's their first front line player off the bench? jeffries?

I wouldn't take shots at teams....especially whats going on in Jersey:eyebrow:

Punk
12-24-2011, 02:25 PM

Josh Harrellson then Jeffries at C.

knicks=love
12-24-2011, 02:26 PM

I love how you're talking **** and the nets are garbage. How's brook Lopez doing?

thekmp211
12-24-2011, 02:28 PM

lol was that a shot? he was saying it'd be a good pickup. do you really want jared jeffries playing a major role off the bench?

it would be a great pickup. the knicks are thin on bench bigs. that's not a shot...just a fact.

njnets
12-24-2011, 02:29 PM

:confused:

its not a jab at the knicks at all. i said kmart would be good for the knicks and i was simply asking who was on the knicks bench...

gotta stop thinking everyone is "hating" on your team.

njnets
12-24-2011, 02:31 PM
lol was that a shot? he was saying it'd be a good pickup. do you really want jared jeffries playing a major role off the bench?

it would be a great pickup. the knicks are thin on bench bigs. that's not a shot...just a fact.

thank you, someone who knows how to read. i wasnt being rude at all, i didnt know who was on the bench.

and its no secret the knicks bench on the frontline is thin, thats why i asked.

glad to see that good convos can happen between fans of rival teams.

BKLYNpigeon
12-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Lebron is missing out in NY.

nycericanguy
12-24-2011, 02:46 PM
The source said Martin considers the Knicks his top choice, partly because of his friendship with Anthony. They became tight during their nearly seven seasons together in Denver. Martin could fill the role of another gritty big man off the bench with athleticism.

ichitownclowni
12-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Could put them over the top

nycericanguy
12-24-2011, 02:49 PM
With the addition of Chandler, Iman, Mike Woodson, and now possibly K-Mart, NY could suddenly become one of the better defensive teams in the NBA.

loublue22
12-24-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm sure this has been answered, but why does the NBA care about Chinese Basketball Association rules? What would be the repercussions if a team signed him now?

nystandup
12-24-2011, 03:07 PM
im guessing they can sue the players that signed a contract with them?

thekmp211
12-24-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm sure this has been answered, but why does the NBA care about Chinese Basketball Association rules? What would be the repercussions if a team signed him now?

its FIBA rules they are concerned about.

Punk
12-24-2011, 03:32 PM
I wonder if there is a way for the guys who want to come back to maybe get some sort of deal worked out with FIBA. It's not fair if the league their in allows them to leave but FIBA won't.

latinofire21
12-24-2011, 03:35 PM

I dont think its necessarily the worry of the chineese basketball association. Its more of a general breaking of the rules for the FIBA rules. Im sure breaking these rules would come down on sanctions of some sort for the USA national basketball team which they are obviously trying to avoid.

latinofire21
12-24-2011, 03:42 PM
I wonder if there is a way for the guys who want to come back to maybe get some sort of deal worked out with FIBA. It's not fair if the league their in allows them to leave but FIBA won't.

From what I have read my understanding is this:

The Chineese Basketball Association would only allow players who are current free agents to sign deals with their teams to avoid the whole rental thing that Turkey did with Deron Williams.

Players knew by signing in the CBA they would have to honor their contracts because there was no opt out clause.

The only players by China's rules that would be allowed to leave their teams and head back to the NBA are Chineese basketball players like Yi Jianling. China takes a portion of all chineese basketball player salaries who play in the NBA so it makes sense that they allow them to return to the NBA.

NBA players dont get the same luxury because China isnt making anything off of them. China is standing behind them fully honoring their contracts because thats how they will make the most profit.

FIBA rules regulate that a player cannot switch leagues without some sort of permission from the previous team to leave. This is why many teams seek some sort of contract Buyout like in the Ricky Rubio situation. Since China will not release the American players until the conclusion of the season FIBA stands by the repercussions if a professional athlete just abandons his team and attempts to rejoin the NBA.

Im sure the NBA doesnt want any negative press and doesnt want any sanctions against team USA so this is pretty much why they arent pushing to get Aaron Brooks, JR Smith, Wilson Chandler, and Kenyon Martin back to the NBA so rapidly.

Now I could be wrong but this is what I understand from all the readings and articles on this situation.

Nycbball08
12-24-2011, 04:08 PM
It would be great if B Diddy and K Mart came aboard at the same time for that extra boost...

Joey38
12-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Kenyon Martin is such a loser, the idiot has lips on his neck.

SteBO
12-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Would be a good signing for the Knicks. He wouldn't put them over the top, but compared to Jared Jeffries, he'd be a godsend :laugh2:

5ass
12-24-2011, 05:14 PM
wow who would have thought the knicks would have a deep bench this season?

MrfadeawayJB
12-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Knicks are putting together a good squad. I think with the addition of Martin they are much more balanced 1-12 than the Heat were last year. I still think they will regret giving Chandler that contract in a few years though

Punk
12-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Would be a good signing for the Knicks. He wouldn't put them over the top, but compared to Jared Jeffries, he'd be a godsend :laugh2:

LOL C'mon son. You all claimed Haslem returning would put you over the top and Martin is the same exact player. 11 points & 9 rebounds off the bench with great post D puts a team over the top.

Jared is putrid offensively but he would draw a thousand charges on Wade if you give him the chance which is where his value is.

beasted86
12-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Would be a solid pickup, but I question Martin's ability to stay in shape for 3+ months.

I'm not even sure he can legally practice with the team without a contract.

beasted86
12-24-2011, 05:55 PM
LOL C'mon son. You all claimed Haslem returning would put you over the top and Martin is the same exact player. 11 points & 9 rebounds off the bench with great post D puts a team over the top.

Jared is putrid offensively but he would draw a thousand charges on Wade if you give him the chance which is where his value is.
Who is "you all"?

I don't know many HEAT fans who claimed Udonis Haslem, a career role player, would put us over the top. Udonis & Miller healthy, Battier added, etc... that's all icing.

What's going to put us over the top is our big 3 playing like a big 3 for the duration of the playoffs & finals. Not any role players that come off the bench.

Same thing applies to NY, Martin would be a solid role player if he maintained his game shape until March. But if you guys are holding out hope for him to put you over the top, you have another thing coming.

Anyway, this is all premature... who knows where he's going to sign, if he does even sign.

latinofire21
12-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Would be a solid pickup, but I question Martin's ability to stay in shape for 3+ months.

Good point. If I were him I would be working out everyday to be a contributor to a contender when hes available to be picked up. Hes in a very good position to be able to pick his next destination already knowing how a good part of the season has already been completed. If he wants to ring chase hes got to make sure he doesnt pull a Rasheed Wallace and come to the team all out of shape.

TheNumber37
12-24-2011, 05:58 PM
would shore up the frontline and makes the bench solid.

rhymeratic
12-24-2011, 06:08 PM
I wonder if he could still practice with the Knicks... they just can't sign him to play games etc.

beasted86
12-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I wonder if he could still practice with the Knicks... they just can't sign him to play games etc.

I'm pretty sure all players that practice with a team need to be signed. They can work a player out on an occasional basis, but definitely any regular contact or practice with other players and the player needs to be under contract.

They have this ruling for insurance purposes. What if Kenyon was practicing with them in the team facility and got injured (he does after all have a long knee injury history)? That's what the rule is for.

Iodine
12-24-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm pretty sure all players that practice with a team need to be signed. They can work a player out on an occasional basis, but definitely any regular contact or practice with other players and the player needs to be under contract.

They have this ruling for insurance purposes. What if Kenyon was practicing with them in the team facility and got injured (he does after all have a long knee injury history)? That's what the rule is for.

It would be a huge liability issue if he worked with them w/o a contract so yes you are correct

5ass
12-24-2011, 06:44 PM
underrated acquisition, now they can run with a line up of
Davis
Shumpert
Melo
Stat
chandler

or

davis
shumpert
melo
martin
amare
when chandler is out,

or

davis
shumpert
fields
melo
amare
at certain times.

IMO, they should go after Michael Pietrus now before the celtics get him. Start him at SG for now, and let shumpert/feilds take over the starting role when they're ready.
IMO this is how the knicks should look like next year

Davis/Douglas/Bibby
Pietrus/Shumpert/Fields/Walker
Melo/Fields/Walker
Amare/Martin/Melo/Jeffries
Chandler/Amare/ FA Center(Fesenko?)

Definitely contenders. 2 great offensive players with defenders at each position..
douglas+shumpert can guard PGs
Shumpert+pietrus can guard SGs
Pietrus+Fields can guard SFs
Martin+jeffries can guard PFs
Chandler+Fesenko can guard Cs

this is probably best case scenario..

AKAYaReal
12-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Would be a great pickup for a team if he was going to start which makes it a even better pick up for us if he were to come to play off the bench.

PlezPlayDKnicks
12-24-2011, 06:53 PM

I'm sure Stebo meant nuthin by his comment to deserve a c'mon son.. He's a legit poster. Relax a bit

HOZ THE KNICK
12-24-2011, 07:40 PM
very possible this can happend

JEDean89
12-24-2011, 08:18 PM
he and melo are buds and the dude is loaded off his 6 year 100 mil contract. he is in ring chasing mode and still has 2-3 years left. i think he can stay healthy if he is only asked to play 20-25 mins off the bench a night and would be a great fit along stat or chandler. i don't think this alone puts us over but if we get our backcourt looking good then a backup big who defend is one of the few holes remaining.

knicks=love
12-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Kenyon Martin is such a loser, the idiot has lips on his neck.

And you have two posts.. :laugh2:

Kashmir13579
12-24-2011, 08:55 PM
:confused:

its not a jab at the knicks at all. i said kmart would be good for the knicks and i was simply asking who was on the knicks bench...

gotta stop thinking everyone is "hating" on your team.

Don't feel bad, man. haha. Jeffries is our back-up forward, you were correct.

Evolution23
12-24-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm sure Stebo meant nuthin by his comment to deserve a c'mon son.. He's a legit poster. Relax a bit

Stebo is my fav Miami Heat fan. Def the most level headed poster from the Heat forum.

Punk
12-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Who is "you all"?

I don't know many HEAT fans who claimed Udonis Haslem, a career role player, would put us over the top. Udonis & Miller healthy, Battier added, etc... that's all icing.

What's going to put us over the top is our big 3 playing like a big 3 for the duration of the playoffs & finals. Not any role players that come off the bench.

Same thing applies to NY, Martin would be a solid role player if he maintained his game shape until March. But if you guys are holding out hope for him to put you over the top, you have another thing coming.

Anyway, this is all premature... who knows where he's going to sign, if he does even sign.
Relax, bro lol. A starting quality role player CAN put a team over the top with intangibles.

You have more options with a Forward that can hit mid-range shots, rebound, play great post defense, finish around the basket, lay out hard fouls and bring toughness and shot blocking.

Saying Martin can't put at team over the top is saying Odom doesn't put the Lakers over the top. Both are role players that have the same impact but in different ways and whatnot.

Obviously, there is alot of questions that come with this situation but a healthy in shape Martin can put a team over nicely off the bench.

Example: If Tyson gets hurt for a few games, you slide Martin at PF and Amare at center. You keep the rebounding and defense the same with that and keep the intangibles Tyson brings. Your bench depth doesn't change with Martin starting because we would have Novak and 3 centers off the bench.

So, a starting quality role player off the bench can do wonders.

DenButsu
12-24-2011, 09:25 PM

Kenyon has always been in outstanding physical condition (injuries notwithstanding). That's really not a concern, unless he's changed his ways and gotten lazy, which I really doubt.

2doors
12-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Josh Harrellson then Jeffries at C.

really? i know jeffries sucks bad but doesnt dantoni have a man crush on him, who the hell is josh harrellson.

utl768
12-24-2011, 09:34 PM
martin is horrible

perfect fit

beasted86
12-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Relax, bro lol. A starting quality role player CAN put a team over the top with intangibles.

You have more options with a Forward that can hit mid-range shots, rebound, play great post defense, finish around the basket, lay out hard fouls and bring toughness and shot blocking.

Saying Martin can't put at team over the top is saying Odom doesn't put the Lakers over the top. Both are role players that have the same impact but in different ways and whatnot.

Obviously, there is alot of questions that come with this situation but a healthy in shape Martin can put a team over nicely off the bench.

Example: If Tyson gets hurt for a few games, you slide Martin at PF and Amare at center. You keep the rebounding and defense the same with that and keep the intangibles Tyson brings. Your bench depth doesn't change with Martin starting because we would have Novak and 3 centers off the bench.

If you think Kenyon Martin and Lamar Odom are equal in terms of impact you are deluded. That's all I have to say about that.

Punk
12-24-2011, 10:06 PM
If you think Kenyon Martin and Lamar Odom are equal in terms of impact you are deluded. That's all I have to say about that.

Where did you get that from? All I'm saying is starters that come off the bench help a team tremendously.

SteBO
12-24-2011, 10:06 PM

Way to generalize....

I for one never said that UD, healthy at least, would put the Heat over the top. We almost won the title with him at less than 80%, and a Mike Miller with busted thumbs. Stars put teams over the top. The Knicks' title chances will hinge on the play of Carmelo and Amare. You saw what happened in the Finals. LeBron sucked balls, and we lost as a result. The Knicks are no different.

beasted86
12-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Where did you get that from? All I'm saying is starters that come off the bench help a team tremendously.

I've found an increasingly annoying trend in the NBA forum where a poster will say one thing, and completely backtrack in their very next post, and act like they never said the first thing at all.

This is just one example, but many many other posters are doing it nowadays. I'm going to try and start avoiding discussions in the NBA forum in general.

DenButsu
12-25-2011, 08:13 PM
I've found an increasingly annoying trend in the NBA forum where a poster will say one thing, and completely backtrack in their very next post, and act like they never said the first thing at all.

That's not a trend. It's a tradition.

Iodine
12-25-2011, 08:16 PM
That's not a trend. It's a tradition.

Nothing was quite as satisfactory as getting people to do that a year+ ago

elizur
12-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Knicks are putting together a good squad. I think with the addition of Martin they are much more balanced 1-12 than the Heat were last year. I still think they will regret giving Chandler that contract in a few years though

Good thing in a few years, the deal will be over. They signed him for 4 years, not too bad. Overpaid per year ,but he is a center.