PDA

View Full Version : Espn week 1 power rankings

latinofire21
12-23-2011, 05:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/season/2012/week/0
RANK TEAM / RECORD TRENDING COMMENTS

1 Dallas
57-25 8
Last Week: 9 The streak of 11 straight 50-win seasons is obviously in jeopardy in this shortened season, but you can't rule out a return to the Finals after Odom parachuted in to replace Tyson C. The Mavs are still dangerous. It's just a different kind of dangerous.

2 Miami
58-24 1
Last Week: 3 Heat warning: The team that lost in the Finals came back to win it all four times in a span of seven seasons in the '80s. But in the 21 seasons since it's happened only once, when Kobe's Lakers avenged Boston 2008 by beating Orlando in 2009.

3 Oklahoma City
55-27 2
Last Week: 5 Although the roster is essentially the same, there's plenty new to see here. Perkins' slimmed-down physique, for starters. Also: How OKC handles A) Finals-or-bust pressure and B) more scrutiny of the Durant-Westbrook dynamic than ever before.

4 Chicago
62-20 3
Last Week: 1 Are the Bulls on the short list of teams, along with Miami and OKC, that can win 50 games when the schedule only offers 66 tries? Definitely. Did the Bulls do enough roster-wise to give D-Rose the playoff help he needs? Doesn't look like it.

5 Los Angeles
32-50 16
Last Week: 21 After such a big bump, really hope my fears are misplaced. But I can't forget that the Clips have been here before, with Larry Brown and Danny Manning as the best twosome in town and the Lakers in the lottery. I beg thee, Donald: Don't pollute Lob City.

6 New York
42-40 7
Last Week: 13 To pick the Knicks to trump Boston in the Atlantic Division, you have to truly believe that Tyson Chandler will have a transformative impact defensively and that Baron Davis will soon be reborn playing in the arena of his dreams. Guilty and guilty.

7 Los Angeles
57-25 5
Last Week: 2 Kobe confidant Stephen A. Smith has suggested more than once this month that No. 24 is bound to ask for a trade sooner rather than later. And this is the reason why: Kobe's supporting cast is the weakest its been since he last asked for a trade in 2007.

8 Memphis
46-36 2
Last Week: 10 Rudy G finally starting alongside Tony A? A slimmed-down Z-Bo next to a re-upped M. Gasol? The Grizz were my sneaky pick to come out of the West. Then they lost Darrell Arthur -- their bench, basically -- to a season-ending Achilles injury. Hurt me.

9 Denver
50-32 3
Last Week: 6 I hear fretting about the $110 million investment in Nene and Afflalo. I hear Hollinger has the Nuggets forecasted to be the second-best team in the West. I would suggest Denver's fate lies somewhere between such proclamations of doom and dominance.

10 San Antonio
61-21 6
Last Week: 4 The committee (of one) shares a birthday with Mr. Duncan and badly wants to believe starting the season two months later is a huge help. The fear here is that TD's knees and thus his Spurs, with little flexibility to make changes, are in for a rough ride.

11 Boston
56-26 4
Last Week: 7 As if Celts fans weren't already worried about their creaky heroes coping with 66 games in such a short span, there's this worrisome omen: Boston is 94-14 (.870) before Christmas in the KG Era's four seasons ... and just 140-80 (.636) after Christmas.

12 Orlando
52-30 1
Last Week: 11 Mark it down: Orlando will come to its senses between now and the March 15 trade deadline and trade Dwight to ensure it doesn't lose another franchise big man Shaq-style without compensation. It just might happen later rather than sooner.

13 Indiana
37-45 3
Last Week: 16 The Pacers signed a marquee free agent at a bargain price in D-West and could choose to shop Granger if they really want to shake things up with P-George in place. I'd have 'em in the East's top half had they landed Jamal Crawford or O.J. Mayo, too.

14 Portland
48-34 6
Last Week: 8 Day 1 of camp: B-Roy forced to retire, Oden shelved for another season with more of his own knee torment and Aldridge rocked by a heart scare. Blazermaniacs can only hope this is the season that Team What Next gets it all out of its system early.

15 Houston
43-39 --

Last Week: 15 After Pau Gasol was snatched from its grasp when David Stern blocked the first CP3 trade, after all those years on the Yao roller coaster, something tells me Kevin McHale's sense of humor is going to be a welcome/needed tonic in shellshocked Houston.

16 Philadelphia
41-41 2
Last Week: 14 In Doug Collins' first season, Philly went 38-28 over the final 66 games after starting 3-13. A repeat during the Sixers' next 66 games is within reach if Evan Turner has improved as much as advertised and continuity pays off as much as expected.

17 Milwaukee
35-47 3
Last Week: 20 Uncomfortable as it must have been to hear Stephen Jackson press for an immediate contract extension upon arrival in Milwaukee, seeing Jack plagued by persistent back trouble hurts the Bucks far worse, even with our man Bogut back.

18 Atlanta
44-38 1
Last Week: 17 Jamal C. is gone, Hinrich is hobbled and newcomers like T-Mac were limited to one-year deals in the wake of the team's collapsed sale. So expect more of the Hawks who went 10-17 after the All-Star break than the team that upset Orlando in Round 1.

19 New Jersey
24-58 10
Last Week: 29 Didn't think the new Nets could start a season more agonizingly than last season, when they were seduced and then shattered by a near-trade for Melo just before camp. But what's happened so far with Dwight Howard and Brook Lopez? Worse.

20 Minnesota
17-65 10
Last Week: 30 K-Love, Rubio, Derrick Williams, Beasley, Adelman and, of course, David Kahn! The Wolves have already clinched Favorite Bad Team To Watch status with a lot of NBA League Pass customers ... and as a bonus they might not be so bad after all.

21 Golden State
36-46 3
Last Week: 18 Tyson Chandler heartbreak in free agency, ugly off-court press for Monta Ellis and Steph Curry's early ankle injury ... didn't take Mark Jackson long to find out why Jeff Van Gundy is in no rush to leave his TV gig and get back into coaching.

22 Phoenix
40-42 3
Last Week: 19 Would G-Hill have re-signed if he didn't think his good buddy Nash was planning to spend at least one more full season in the desert? The answer -- unless Hill also got assurances he'd be thrown into any eventual Nash trade -- is obviously not.

23 Utah
39-43 2
Last Week: 25 You remember what Denver went through with Melo and you see what Orlando is going through now with DH12 and you have to believe that Utah, stockpiling young bigs and draft picks, is thrilled that it traded D-Will when it did.

24 Sacramento
24-58 2
Last Week: 22 I am rooting hard for the Kings' loyal subjects to finally score an arena deal that keeps the team in Sacramento. I just don't want to go watch the Kings until they get a real pass-first point guard to keep all those young gunners organized.

25 Detroit
30-52 2
Last Week: 23 No player mutinies are in the forecast under new coach Lawrence Frank, but watchability remains an issue with these Pistons. Greg Monroe, Austin Daye and rookie Brandon Knight ... those are realistically your three best reasons for tuning in.

26 Toronto
22-60 2
Last Week: 28 Dwane Casey will eventually change the culture in Toronto, but he'll need some time before it shows in the standings. The Raps' defense-first new coach has no defensive anchor to pair with Bargnani and won't see Valanciunas until next season.

27 Washington
23-59 1
Last Week: 26 Hunch time: Ted Leonsis proved rather patient as an NHL owner and won't be terribly concerned if the Wiz -- as long as John Wall posts a season of progress -- finish low enough to get one more high draftee before spending big free-agent bucks.

28 New Orleans
46-36 16
Last Week: 12 The Hornets definitely have a future thanks to all those young assets they scored from the Clippers in exchange for the face of the franchise. The present, however, is going to be ghastly. Steep, steep fall unavoidably coming without Chris Paul.

29 Cleveland
19-63 2
Last Week: 27 The broader focus will obviously be on Kyrie Irving, but Cavs fans have to know that the acquisition of longtime committee obsession Omri Casspi means that the No. 1 overall pick must produce if he wants this prime comment real estate.

30 Charlotte
34-48 6
Last Week: 24 His approval rating among current NBA players has never been lower in the wake of his hard-line lockout positions. And he might still be the best player in the Bobcats' organization ... at the age of 48. Not-so-fun times to be Michael Jeffrey Jordan.

I like the list except for a few things. I think the Celtics are 5 positions too high. They should be below the 76ers. Clippers are also a little too high for a team that just came together 2 weeks ago.

latinofire21
12-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I think these rankings are way better then the Hollinger rankings. I would move the Trailblazers down a couple spots and the Celtics down another 5 spots. Other than that the rest looks ok

Hugbees
12-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah most of the list looks good. But I'm sure that there will be a wave of people that think the Knicks are too high

sjbirds
12-23-2011, 06:54 PM
odens out again?

Chi StateOfMind
12-23-2011, 07:07 PM
odens out again?

Where have you been? Yes he's out.

RLundi
12-23-2011, 07:18 PM
I think the Celtics are 5 positions too high. They should be below the 76ers.

No.

nycericanguy
12-23-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm a die hard Knick fan, but we are too high. I wouldn't be surprised if we;re there at the end of the season, but as of now NY & The Clippers are way too high for teams that have yet to even play a game.

xbrackattackx
12-23-2011, 07:52 PM
lol Kobe want a trade, SAS is a toolbag. A loud one at that.

minnesotaloyal
12-23-2011, 07:55 PM
20 for minnesota, thats what im talkin about!

VinceCarter
12-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Nets at 19. I am surprised pretty high!

D Roses Bulls
12-23-2011, 08:01 PM
These rankings are horrible, although I do agree with Dallas Number 1. SI' rankings were a lot better. Knicks above the Celtics :confused:

Reversed86Curse
12-23-2011, 08:14 PM
interesting rankings.....

latinofire21
12-23-2011, 08:57 PM
I wasnt surprised that the Celtics were ranked so low. They traded away Perk and Nate for Green and Kristic. Kristic went to play overseas and Green is out for the year with Heart surgery.

Pierce is already injured to start the season and their core are a year older. With all the back to backs Younger teams are going to prevail over the older teams. This shortened season handicaps teams like the Spurs, Lakers, and Celtics. The Celtics are hurt more then the other two because they are old and they lack depth.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Celtics sneak into the playoffs and finish 3rd in their own conference behind the Knicks and the 76ers.

I think for now the Knicks are rated a little high but when the season is all said and done they will be in that area anyway. At least this rankings has them as the top of their division instead of barely making the playoffs like the other rankings.

I will take these rankings any day of the week over the Hollinger crap he tries to pettle as scientific fact.

latinofire21
12-23-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm a die hard Knick fan, but we are too high. I wouldn't be surprised if we;re there at the end of the season, but as of now NY & The Clippers are way too high for teams that have yet to even play a game.

Its the same thing they did last year for the Heat. Remember the conversation with them beating the bulls all time wins record in a season before they even stepped foot on the court.

I think we are right where we should be. Once we start beating those top teams I expect to be higher on the rankings.

JNev
12-23-2011, 08:59 PM
HOU above PHL? Come on mann!

latinofire21
12-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Im not too familiar with Houston to say if they are better then Phili.

maddBat
12-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Nets at 19. I am surprised pretty high!

thats what i said... i started from the bottom scrolling up.. i had 2 scroll back down after seeing we werent the last 5-7 teams (we usually are). nets never get n e love. lol

        
12-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Thunder are extremely overrated! Westbrook is a ball hog! Durant is too skinny! THE OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER ARE NON-CONTENDERS!

GrandDaddyPurp
12-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Lol I can't wait for the season to start already. These rankings mean absolutely nothing.

Baller1
12-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Crazy that one strong season for OKC and Chicago can make everyone believers. I would love for that to be the finals matchup.

mrblisterdundee
12-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Marc Stein lost some credibility when he made predictions based on an 82-game season. He knew it would be shortened. Why can't he make his power rankings reflect that?

ChiSox219
12-24-2011, 01:59 PM
How anyone can not list Miami-Chicago 1-2 is beyond me.

Evolution23
12-24-2011, 06:23 PM
too early for power rankings.

2doors
12-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Its the same thing they did last year for the Heat. Remember the conversation with them beating the bulls all time wins record in a season before they even stepped foot on the court.

I think we are right where we should be. Once we start beating those top teams I expect to be higher on the rankings.

you're not even a heat fan you were dissing them last time.