PDA

View Full Version : NBA Round Table: Season Preview Edition

ManRam
12-22-2011, 09:06 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3501/roundtable1.png
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6778/roundtable4.png
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9928/roundtable3.png

Welcome to ProSportsDaily.com's Round Table discussion group. This is a continued series here at PSD where we pose a question to our writing staff and they answer.

It's been a while since our last installment, but it's finally time to rejoice! The NBA season will finally start on Christmas Eve after a long and tedious delay. This week we bring to you our season preview edition. We ask the RT members to predict the NBA regular season and playoff awards, predict the various All-NBA Teams, and state some bold predictions. We kept it very open ended, and you'll see that certain people's submissions are quite different than others.

We kept it simple, so please feel free to critique our predictions, state what you agree and disagree with, or even predict these for your own. I'd like to thank hugepatsfan, Mane, daleja424, Mr. Baller, Corey, Korman12, patsSOXknicks, kakaroach, SteBo, and...myself.

Enjoy...and let us have it. It's a very big post, but there's not a whole lot to it...

hugepatsfan

Bold Predictions

1.) Michael Redd becomes a quality player wherever he goes ("quality player" is kind of subjective I admit, but I think most people can clearly define it). He was a very underrated player in his prime and I think he'll get back to being very good if healthy. Not back to his old level, but good.

2.) The Clippers struggle to start the year, much like MIA last year. People are already saying they're a top contender - I think it will take more time. between, all the changes and then the short offseason, they're behind the 8 ball, so to speak. I expect some adjustment time and w/ the shortened amount of games, there is evel less time later to make that up. I see a 5-8 seed this year, but they should be clicking and thus dangerous come playoff time.

3.) The Bulls will once again be great, but once again fall short because only Rose can create his own offense. Rip is a nice piece, but he doesn't create his own offense.

4.) Eric Gordon finally gets recognized as a superstar now that he'll be "the man."

Mane

Most Valuable Player: Lebron James
Rookie of the Year: Brandon Knight
Defensive Player of the Year: Dwight Howard
6th Man of the Year: Lamar Odom
Most Improved Player: Greg Oden
Coach of the Year: Frank Vogel (Indiana Pacers)
Executive of the Year: Neil Olshey (LA Clippers)

All-Star MVP: Kobe Bryant
Finals MVP: Lebron James

1st Team All-NBA:

PG: Paul
SG: Wade
SF: Bryant
PF: Nowitzki
C: Howard

2nd Team All-NBA:

PG: Williams
SG: Bryant
SF: Anthony
PF: Griffin
C: Bogut

All-Rookie Team:

PG: Knight
SG: Jimmer
SF: Vesely
PF: Williams
C: Kanter

All-Defense Team:

Rondo
Bryant
James
Chandler
Howard

Bold Predictions:
1. The Pacers make it out of the first round of this years playoffs.
2. Jimmer shows he can be a real scoring threat in the NBA.
3. Dwight Howard signs an extension with the Magic by the end of the season.

daleja424

Most Valuable Player: Chris Paul
Rookie of the Year: Kemba Walker
6th Man of the Year: Jason Terry
Most Improved Player: Deandre Jordan
Coach of the Year: Vinny Del Negro
Executive of the Year: Neil Olshey- LAC

All-Star MVP: Kevin Durant

1st Team All-NBA:

Wade
Paul
James
Durant
Howard

2nd Team All-NBA:

Bryant
Rose
Dirk
Griffin
Stoudemire

All-Rookie Team:

Walker
Irving
Williams
Fredette
Cole

All-Defense Team

Bryant
Wade
James
Jordan
Howard

Bold Predictions:
1. The Clipper make it farther in the playoffs than the Lakers.
2. The Bulls take a step back this year and don't get to the ECF.
3. The Grizzlies grab a top 4 seed out west.
4. The Pacers and Grizzlies make it out of the first round this year.
5. Eric Gordon makes the all-star team

Mr. Baller

Most Valuable Player: Chris Paul
Rookie of the Year: Brandon Knight
Most Improved Player: Eddy Curry
Coach of the Year: Mark Jackson

All-Star MVP: Carmelo Anthony

1st Team All-NBA:

PG: Paul
SG: Wade
SF: LeBron
PF: Nowitzki

2nd Team All-NBA:

PG: Williams
SG: Bryant
SF: Durant
PF: Griffin
C: Amare

All-Rookie Team:

PG: Knight
SF: Derrick Williams
PF: Williams
C: Kanter

All-Defense Team:

Wade
Bryant
James
Garnett
Howard

BOLD PREDICTIONS
1. Warriors make the playoffs
2. Mavericks lose in the 1st round of the playoffs
3. Clippers make it to the Western Conference Finals

Corey

Most Valuable Player: Kevin Durant
Rookie of the Year: Ricky Rubio
6th Man of the Year: James Harden
Most Improved Player: Paul George
Coach of the Year: Scott Brooks
Executive of the Year: Donald Sterling

All-Star MVP: Chris Paul

1st Team All-NBA:

G- Chris Paul
G- Dwyane Wade
F- Kevin Durant
F- Lebron James
C- Dwight Howard

2nd Team All-NBA:

G- Derrick Rose
G- Kobe Bryant
F- Carmelo Anthony
F- Dirk Nowitzki
C- Tyson Chandler

All-Rookie Team:

PG: Rubio
SF: Williams
PF: Faried
C: Vucevic

All-Defense Team:

Rondo
Wade
James
Garnett
Howard

BOLD PREDICTIONS
1. Dwight finally gets traded at the deadline.
2. The Knicks will take over the Atlantic division from the Celtics.
3. Russell Westbrook will get a long term extension with OKC, silencing all the "Westbrook and Durant dont get along" rumors.

Korman12

MVP: Kevin Durant
6th Man: Jason Terry
Most Improved Player: Serge Ibaka
Coach of the Year: Rick Adelman

1st Team All-NBA:

G - Paul
G - Wade
F - Durant
F - James
C - Howard

2nd Team All-NBA:
G - Rose
G - Bryant
F - Love
F - Griffin
C - Stoudemire

All-Rookie Team:

G - Walker
G - Rubio
F - Williams
F - Singleton
C - Kanter

All-Defense Team:

G - Rondo
G - P. George
F - Iguodala
F - Ibaka
C - Howard

Bold Predictions:
1. Flip Saunders will be the first coach fired during the season.
2. Marcus Thornon, not Tyreke Evans or DeMarcus Cousin, will lead the Kings in scoring.
3. Serge Ibaka (you can tell so far I'm very high on him) will lead the league in blocks this season.
4. David West will get hurt again and Tyler Hansbrough will put up borderline All-Star numbers for the Pacers.
5. The Lakers will be in panic mode early in the season but will be fine by the playoffs.

patsSOXknicks

6th Man of the Year: James Harden
Most Improved Player: Serge Ibaka
Coach of the Year: George Karl

All-Star MVP: Lebron James

1st Team All-NBA:

G: CP3
G: Wade
F: Lebron
F: Durant

2nd Team All-NBA:

G: Rose
G: Deron
F: Carmelo
F: Griffin
F: Dirk

All-Rookie Team:

G: Irving
G: Kemba
G: Brooks (PC fan, so homer pick)
F: Faried
F: Derrick Williams

All-Defense Team

Paul
Wade
James
Chandler
Dwight

My very Bold Predictions:
1) The Bulls take a step backward. Rose has a down season after the hype he gathered last year. However, I do have them getting the #1 seed, they just won't be in the CF.
2) Clippers gel right away and end up with a better record than the Lakers but their lack of depth hurts them in the regular season.
3) Kemba comes in and averages 22+ ppg on a horrible Bobcats team (whether he does it efficiently is a different story)
4) The Knicks actually play defense this year
5) Rondo or one of the Celts big 3 is traded before the deadline
6) The Mavs show their age and end up losing earlier in the playoffs than anyone expects.

My Bold Seedings:

East Conf
1) Bulls
2) Heat
3) 76ers
4) Pacers
5) Knicks
6) Magic
7) Celtics
8) Hawks

West Conf
1) Thunder
2) Spurs
3) Nuggets
4) Mavs
5) Blazers
6) Clippers
7) Grizz
8) Lakers

My explanation for the seedings: Teams with lots of depth do well (Nuggets, Spurs, Blazers) and teams with not so much depth do poorly. However, in the playoffs, the teams with the most talent end up winning out which means you'll see a lot of "upsets" based on regular season record.

In the West, you might notice I have the Lakers as the 8 seed. I feel that Kobe will be battling injuries through a grueling schedule and that Bynum has his "usual" injury at some point, leaving the Lakers with a 50% Kobe, Pau and a bunch of bums for a large part of the season. I just don't see that team doing well with so many back to backs and a tightened schedule. As for the Clippers, I really like their team and feel they will gel right away but as I said, the lack of depth will hurt them. In addition, I expect Paul to take some days off to preserve his knees and therefore, the Clippers end up with a lower seed than everyone expects. The Nuggets and Spurs have more depth and are built to with stand a longer season. I know it sounds weird that I have an old Spurs team that high but they have some nice depth in Neal, Blair, Splitter, Bonner, TJ Ford, Kawahi Leonard (who I think makes a large impact) etc. I also think in typical Spurs fashion, they'll find some random diamonds in the rough during the season. I also like the Blazers depth, although I'm assuming that their typical curse hits them and they end up lower than their depth could indicate.

In the East, I think the young legs of the 76ers and Pacers will allow them to get higher seeds than the older Celtics, and the figuring it out/less deep Knicks. Both the 76ers and Pacers are also fairly deep. As I also said, I think the Celts end up trading Rondo or one of the big 3 at the deadline. I don't think the C's will look too good during the season which might cause them to waive the white flag, especially with not much depth. They either trade Rondo or they trade one of the big 3 to a contender and try to get some picks/pieces back. However, they still slip into the playoffs because the East isn't very good. The Magic have Howard for the whole season but he's disengaged and distracted by a possible trade. They make an end of the season push after the deadline though as the threat of a trade is lifted.

ECF: # 2 seeded Heat over #5 seeded Knicks (homer pick but I think they have a shot at the CF)
WCF: #1 seeded Thunder over #3 seeded Clippers
Finals: Heat over Thunder (Heat have HCA)

Kakaroach

Rookie of the Year: Derrick Williams
Coach of the Year: Lionel Hollins

All-Star MVP: LeBron James
Finals MVP: Dirk Nowitzki

1st Team All-NBA:

G: Derrick Rose
G: Kobe Bryant
F: LeBron James
F: Kevin Durant
C: Dwight Howard

2nd Team All-NBA:

G: Chris Paul
G: Dwayne Wade
F: Dirk Nowitzki
F: Blake Griffin
C: Amare Stoudemaire

All-Rookie Team:

G: Kemba Walker
G: Ricky Rubio
F: Jan Vesely
C: Enes Kanter

All-Defense Team:

G: Rajon Rondo
G: Dwayne Wade
F: Tyson Chandler

Bold Predictions:
1. Clippers go farther in the playoffs than the Lakers
2. Grizzlies have home field in first round and go to at least the western conference semis again
3. Miami Heat don't make the eastern conference finals

SteBo

Rookie of the Year: Derrick Williams
6th Man of the Year: Lamar Odom
Coach of the Year: Frank Vogel
Executive of the Year: Neil Olshey

All-Star MVP: Kobe Bryant
Finals MVP: LeBron James

1st Team All-NBA:

G: Derrick Rose
G: Dwyane Wade
F: Kevin Durant

2nd Team All-NBA:

G: Chris Paul
G: Kobe Bryant
F: Dirk Nowitzki
F: Blake Griffin
C: Amare Stoudemaire

All-Rookie Team:

G: Kyrie Irving
G: Ricky Rubio
F: Faried
C: Enes Kanter

All-Defense Team:

G: Rajon Rondo
G: Andre Iguodala
F: Tyson Chandler

Bold Predictions:
Clippers go to the WCF
Pacers make it to at most the second round
ECF: Heat over Bulls(7 game series this time around)
WCF: Thunder over Lakers(7 game series)
NBA Finals: Heat over Thunder

ManRam
12-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Cumulative voting:

(Like the real voting, we gave 5 points to 1st team votes and 3 points to 2nd team votes)

First Team All-NBA:

Chris Paul (36 points)
Dwyane Wade(38 points)
LeBron James (unanimous)
Kevin Durant (33 points)
Dwight Howard (unanimous)

Second Team All-NBA:

Derrick Rose (22 points)
Kobe Bryant (20 points)
Dirk Nowitzki (25 points)
Blake Griffin (21 points)
Amare Stoudemire (15 points)

Also receiving votes: Deron Williams (9), Carmelo Anthony (9), Andrew Bogut (3), Tyson Chandler (3), Kevin Love (3)

All-Rookie Team:

Derrick Williams (unanimous)
Enes Kanter (5)
Ricky Rubio (4)
Jimmer Fredette (4)
Kemba Walker (4)

All-Defense Team:

Rajon Rondo (5)
Dwyane Wade (5)
LeBron James (7)
Tyson Chandler (4)
Dwight Howard (unanimous)

kingbrentg
12-22-2011, 09:09 PM
A near sweep for LeBron as Finals MVP. Yikes.

justinnum1
12-22-2011, 09:15 PM
nice job guys

Mr Costanza
12-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Very nice. Well done guys.

theheatles
12-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Kakaroach needs to get taken to the PSD guillotine for not having the heat make the ECF, I can understand them maybe losing in the ECF but to not even have them there shows complete lack of knowledge or overt bias

tcav701
12-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Kakaroach needs to get taken to the PSD guillotine for not having the heat make the ECF, I can understand them maybe losing in the ECF but to not even have them there shows complete lack of knowledge or overt bias

Really? He should be taken off for having an opinion that is different from your constant homer rants???

Im sure it was just as unlikely that the Lakers would miss the WCF last year right?

I love how you Heat fans think you are entitled to anything when you have won nothing yet.

LakersIn5
12-23-2011, 09:50 AM
stebo's bold prediction :D

Bold Predictions:
Clippers go to the WCF
Pacers make it to at most the second round
ECF: Heat over Bulls(7 game series this time around)
WCF: Thunder over Lakers(7 game series)
NBA Finals: Heat over Thunder

clippers go to WCF but he predicted OKC winning over the lakers in the WCF???? just sayin

tredigs
12-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Mane, Kobe is a guard and you forgot KD (hopefully accidentally?). Gotta go to work so I stopped reading, but c'mon now.

theheatles
12-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Really? He should be taken off for having an opinion that is different from your constant homer rants???

Im sure it was just as unlikely that the Lakers would miss the WCF last year right?

I love how you Heat fans think you are entitled to anything when you have won nothing yet.

lol 2006, winning the east last yr...and this heat team is the clear favorites with superior talent all in their prime, you can call it homer rants but i'm right...i'm not saying the heat are locks to win it all but to not have them in the ECF is asinine

i love how heat haters get so offended when heat fans stand up for their team

tcav701
12-23-2011, 10:18 AM
lol 2006, winning the east last yr...and this heat team is the clear favorites with superior talent all in their prime, you can call it homer rants but i'm right...i'm not saying the heat are locks to win it all but to not have them in the ECF is asinine

i love how heat haters get so offended when heat fans stand up for their team

I think the Heat are favorites myslef, but its not impossible for them to miss the ECF if the run into the Bulls or a hot NY team in the 2nd round.

I'm not a Heat hater, but some of the PSD Heat fans come into the main forum and only can contribute how awesome the Heat are and nohing else.

The Lakers were a "lock" last year so don't just discredit someones opinion especially when that individual knows alot more about basketball than you do.

theheatles
12-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I think the Heat are favorites myslef, but its not impossible for them to miss the ECF if the run into the Bulls or a hot NY team in the 2nd round.

I'm not a Heat hater, but some of the PSD Heat fans come into the main forum and only can contribute how awesome the Heat are and nohing else.

The Lakers were a "lock" last year so don't just discredit someones opinion especially when that individual knows alot more about basketball than you do.

2. Grizzlies have home field in first round and go to at least the western conference semis again

his other bold prediction is the grizzlies will be playing on a field....i doubt he knows a lot more basketball than me if at all

edit: i just looked him up and he's a 19 yr old bulls fan, go figure :rolleyes:

SteBO
12-23-2011, 11:06 AM

clippers go to WCF but he predicted OKC winning over the lakers in the WCF???? just sayin
:pity: Me and my ****ing clumsiness.

jimbobjarree
12-23-2011, 11:06 AM

expecting logic from a heat fan is a fruitless endeavour

SteBO
12-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Expecting any humility from a blind Miami hater is a fruitless endeavor......;)

D1JM
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM

his other bold prediction is the grizzlies will be playing on a field....i doubt he knows a lot more basketball than me if at all

edit: i just looked him up and he's a 19 yr old bulls fan, go figure :rolleyes:

Kakaroach isn't a bulls fan. He is a jazz fan if I am correct. And just because he doesn't have your heat in the CF doesn't mean he should be taken off the board. It's his opinion and if you don't like it then just ignore his post. No need to act childish and throw a fit because your heat weren't picked.

mzgrizz
12-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice job guys. Will be fun to see who comes the closest after the season is done.

Sadds The Gr8
12-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Surprised to see how much people like Kemba, and how little like Kyrie for ROY

lol

Mane
12-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Mane, Kobe is a guard and you forgot KD (hopefully accidentally?). Gotta go to work so I stopped reading, but c'mon now.

I put Kobe twice. Meant to have James at SF the first time but it slipped my mind.

And yes, in retrospect i have no idea why i put Anthony over Durant. Kinda rushed through it i suppose.

Korman12
12-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Surprised to see how much people like Kemba, and how little like Kyrie for ROY

lol

My thought was that there's no way Irving doesn't at least make All-Rookie 2nd Team, but he's too much of a focal part of a terrible team. Not to say the Bobcats aren't as bad (I think they'll be worse), but defenses will be cuing on Irving more than Walker, and Irving will be counted on to do more.

knicks_champ
12-23-2011, 07:19 PM
A lot of love for the Heat this year. And I agree they are the favorite to win it all.

theheatles
12-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Kakaroach isn't a bulls fan. He is a jazz fan if I am correct. And just because he doesn't have your heat in the CF doesn't mean he should be taken off the board. It's his opinion and if you don't like it then just ignore his post. No need to act childish and throw a fit because your heat weren't picked.

i'm not acting childish, i'm saying not picking the heat to at least the ecf is foolish, and the round table posters are being put on a pedastel with them displaying their opinions in that fashion and if they put out nonsense they should get called out for it

knicks_champ
12-23-2011, 09:42 PM
i'm not acting childish, i'm saying not picking the heat to at least the ecf is foolish, and the round table posters are being put on a pedastel with them displaying their opinions in that fashion and if they put out nonsense they should get called out for it

So you have a crystal ball that tells you the facts?

What you are saying is foolish.. Remember it's called a BOLD Prediction.

SteBO
12-23-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm baffled that someone would bash another for a "bold prediction" :laugh2:

Kakaroach
12-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Kakaroach needs to get taken to the PSD guillotine for not having the heat make the ECF, I can understand them maybe losing in the ECF but to not even have them there shows complete lack of knowledge or overt bias Eh, it said BOLD predictions. So I decided something crazy. Might happen with Chicago, Boston, and New York all being impressive this year.

And I'm not biased, I'm not a Heat hater. I know they will prolly make the ECF, just making a fun prediction.

Corey
12-24-2011, 12:58 AM
No one ripped apart my blurb :dance:

Baller1
12-24-2011, 03:24 AM
I was going to say "good job" to all you guys, but Corey's blurb ****ing sucked.

;)

Corey
12-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I dont like you anymore

tredigs
12-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Since I'm on supposed to be on the Round Table and skipped this thread, I'll go ahead and submit my "bold prediction". I don't think the Celtics are an HCA team this season, and they may be one significant injury away from scraping to make the playoffs. They just have such thin depth at virtually all positions on a team that needs depth more than any other - especially in a shortened season with such a demanding schedule.

Once they're in the playoffs they should still be a very tough out, but it may take all their energy just to get there.

tcav701
12-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Since I'm on supposed to be on the Round Table and skipped this thread, I'll go ahead and submit my "bold prediction". I don't think the Celtics are an HCA team this season, and they may be one significant injury away from scraping to make the playoffs. They just have such thin depth at virtually all positions on a team that needs depth more than any other - especially in a shortened season with such a demanding schedule.

Once they're in the playoffs they should still be a very tough out, but it may take all their energy just to get there.

While I agree that the Celtics are a 4 seed at absolute best, i think they are deeper this year than they were last except for Center but they are going small by design this year (dont agree with it).

Dooling is a PG upgrade over West as far as being to run that second unit, Pietrus is still a good player, Bass and Wilcox are better than Baby wh0 played 30 mins last year and Marquis is meh. Its a pretty solid 10 man rotation.

They wanna run more and play small ball and thats the reason I agree with your prediciton. I just dont think its what Doc does well.

Corey
12-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I agree about the C's depth being better this year. The loss of Green hurts a LOT, but the way our bench is currently constructed with the addition of Pietrus is really solid.

Dooling - Pietrus - Marquis - Bass - Wilcox is a really well rounded bench. I'm not going to go as far as saying it's one of the better benches in the league, but to think that it was constructed with nothing other than the Vet Min and the mini-MLE available...It's pretty damn good.

tredigs
12-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I agree about the C's depth being better this year. The loss of Green hurts a LOT, but the way our bench is currently constructed with the addition of Pietrus is really solid.

Dooling - Pietrus - Marquis - Bass - Wilcox is a really well rounded bench. I'm not going to go as far as saying it's one of the better benches in the league, but to think that it was constructed with nothing other than the Vet Min and the mini-MLE available...It's pretty damn good.

Pietrus will be garbage dude. There's a reason why the Raptors rescinded the trade for him and the Suns opted to WAIVE Pietrus (NOT amnesty). They just flat out are paying him 5+ million and don't even want him on their 15 man roster. This was all due to his knee injury/surgery at the end of the year of course. Even a max Pietrus is no more than a middling player.

Jermaine O'Neal and Wilcox at Center?? That's a bottom tier center rotation in the NBA. Bass is a nice fit at PF - that was a positive move and probably their best bench option.

Avery Bradley was average at best in COLLEGE (another 50% free throw shooter at point. gah), and will be a liability at this point in the NBA. Dooling is an aging vet who was never good to begin with. Marquis Daniels? Bleh.

I don't know man, I think that's a very weak bench.

D Roses Bulls
12-26-2011, 05:19 PM
wow...... the Former MVP in a over all perspective was disrespected on the all NBA team. I guess most of the panel didn't watch him last year and don't realize he is only going to get better.

daleja424
12-27-2011, 11:22 AM
wow...... the Former MVP in a over all perspective was disrespected on the all NBA team. I guess most of the panel didn't watch him last year and don't realize he is only going to get better.

Rose is a great player...

Speaking for myself here, I think the Bulls are going to take a small step back this year. They had an absurdly good year last year, and I believe the whole team overachieved for much of it.

Rose is a top 7 guy in this league... but I'm not sure he can single handedly beat the Celts, HEAT, Knicks, Clippers, or Thunder...

Heck he needed a Bynum suspension, a rare Kobe choke job, and a blown travel call to beat LA... Bulls are quite fortunate to not be sitting at 0-2 right now. I just feel like the Bulls and Rose will come back to earth a little this year.

KnicksorBust
12-27-2011, 11:56 PM

Speaking for myself here, I think the Bulls are going to take a small step back this year. They had an absurdly good year last year, and I believe the whole team overachieved for much of it.

Rose is a top 7 guy in this league... but I'm not sure he can single handedly beat the Celts, HEAT, Knicks, Clippers, or Thunder...

Heck he needed a Bynum suspension, a rare Kobe choke job, and a blown travel call to beat LA... Bulls are quite fortunate to not be sitting at 0-2 right now. I just feel like the Bulls and Rose will come back to earth a little this year.

I disagree. The Bulls point differential and SRS last year proved they were legit. They won 60+ games while missing Noah and Boozer for huge chunks of the season and without a legit 2-way SG. With those situations remedied, I again like them to be a top 2-3 seed and see them as a favorite to make the ECF. They are relatively young and deep enough to handle this condensed schedule. Besides the Heat and Knicks, I don't see a team in the East that can knock them out. (Sorry Pacers/Celtics)

kjoke
12-28-2011, 03:16 AM
Fast pace high scoring teams seemed to be the Bulls weakness. That sounds like a NY or Miami thing right now.

But still, a lot of games to be played.

D1JM
12-28-2011, 03:43 AM

So by that logic, the heat ate lucky to be 2-0 with the celtics missing pierce?

Bruno
12-28-2011, 10:10 AM
good job dudes.

but you're all sleepin' on kobe!

we are three games in and Kobes advanced stat line looks like this:
PER- 28.9
WS/48- .243.
TS%- .553

...just sayin'! dude made first team over players with far better statistical seasons in the past, with far worse numbers and production than what he's displayed through the first three games. why would this year be any different?

daleja424
12-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Kobe is going to have a hard time keeping up an elite pace with the compressed season IMHO. He is getting older and more injury prone. He is a tough guy, but within a month or so of playing 4-5 games a week, he is just going to wear down IMO, especially now that he seemingly has to have a 50% usage rate for his team to even have a chance.

Plus Kobe could put up a 30 PER, but if his team isn't winning it really doesn't mean squat as we have all found out in recent years.

Kobe has been trending downward for a couple years now, and I don't think it is an oversight to expect that trend to continue.

PatsSoxKnicks
12-28-2011, 04:03 PM
good job dudes.

but you're all sleepin' on kobe!

...just sayin'! dude made first team over players with far better statistical seasons in the past, with far worse numbers and production than what he's displayed through the first three games. why would this year be any different?

No one is sleeping on Kobe but here's my reasoning for why I don't have Kobe on the 1st team or even 2nd team:

a) he's a year older and with the compressed 66 game schedule with lots of back to backs and even some back to back to backs, it's going to be rough on Kobe. Considering he opened the year with an injury already, I feel like he's going to be battling some minor injuries all year. I could see him missing about 10-15 games with the possibility of more. At the same time, he may not miss that many games but try to play through nagging injuries which has a toll on his performance.

Also, consider something else. Kobe came out of high school and has had many long postseason runs. Simply put, he's logged lots of minutes on his body. Where does he rank? 16th all-time already. He's only around 170 minutes shy of Michael Jordan, who he should pass in about 6-7 games. Are you telling me that kind of toll doesn't have an effect on him?

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/31485/real-minutes-played

Now, he did successfully play well through his first back to back to back but it's still early in the season. Let's see how he does when we're around games 50 and 51.

b) The decline of Kobe wouldn't keep him off the 1st or 2nd team unless something else happened: the Lakers team declined. You're right, he's beat out guys with better statistical seasons for 1st team in the past. However, he's generally always been on a pretty successful team, meaning the winning gets him some votes. However, I do think the Lakers are going to struggle a bit this year at times and I think they're going to fall short of expectations. Here's why:

in a 66 game schedule with lots of back to backs, you want to have some good depth so that you aren't playing guys 40+ minutes on 3 nights in a row. The Lakers do not have much depth, especially with the trade of Odom. Their frontcourt is thin. While McRoberts was a nice pickup, he does not even come close to replacing Odom's production. Those 3 guys are going to have to play basically all of the minutes and considering Bynum is injury prone and Pau is on the wrong side of 30, thats not something you want to be relying on.

But that isn't even my biggest issue with the Lakers. Although, it's certainly a large one, the big issue is the backcourt depth. Your backup SG is Jason Kapono or I guess Matt Barnes. I'm not sure which one but if its Barnes, he's out of position and if it's Kapono, well, he's just not very good. Worse, your PG combination is atrocious. As Hollinger pointed out in his preview, the PG combo of the Lakers combined to have the 2nd worst PER of all positions in the NBA. And having read Basketball Prospectus' preview, Blake and Fisher combined for -2.5 WARP last season. Basketball Prospectus' SCHONE projects that the PG production improves to contribute only -1.5 WARP this season (yikes). Want to know what that means? Your PG production is below replacement level. That is to say, that you would be better off finding some bums off the street and inserting them into the starting lineup than going with your current crop of PGs. That is definitely not good.

Considering the league has MANY good PGs right now and the Lakers have the worst duo of PGs in the NBA, well, I'm sure you guys will be seeing a lot of 30 and 10 nights being put up on the Lakers duo of PGs.

Factor the horrible PG play, not much depth, no real bench scoring and the fact that the Lakers are an older team and you have a team likely to finish in the bottom half of the playoffs. And of course, thats probably assuming you don't have any serious injuries. If Bynum misses his typical time (as in about 20-25 games), the Lakers will probably miss the playoffs. If the schedule weren't so condensed and it were your typical 82 game schedule, they would be fine but not with this years schedule.

I'm also not alone in my predictions for the Lakers. Hollinger had them in the bottom half of the playoff teams and only had them as high as he did because he factored in the fact that free agents/cut players will flock to sign with the Lakers at some point during the season. They may pick up some decent players then was his logic. Basketball Prospectus SCHONE had the Lakers finishing 34-32, good for 7th in the conference.

Anyways, between what I think will be the decline of the overall Lakers team and the decline of Kobe, I don't think he'll even make 2nd team this year. If he does, I think it'll be because of name, not necessarily performance. I think you could see either Westbrook or Deron take his place, along with Rose or Paul in the backcourt. The 1st team will be Rose or Paul and Wade.

This is just my opinion though and I could end up being completely wrong, so don't bash me for going out on a limb lol.

PatsSoxKnicks
12-28-2011, 04:03 PM
double post

Bruno
12-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Kobe is going to have a hard time keeping up an elite pace with the compressed season IMHO. He is getting older and more injury prone. He is a tough guy, but within a month or so of playing 4-5 games a week, he is just going to wear down IMO, especially now that he seemingly has to have a 50% usage rate for his team to even have a chance.

Plus Kobe could put up a 30 PER, but if his team isn't winning it really doesn't mean squat as we have all found out in recent years.

Kobe has been trending downward for a couple years now, and I don't think it is an oversight to expect that trend to continue.

No one is sleeping on Kobe but here's my reasoning for why I don't have Kobe on the 1st team or even 2nd team:

a) he's a year older and with the compressed 66 game schedule with lots of back to backs and even some back to back to backs, it's going to be rough on Kobe. Considering he opened the year with an injury already, I feel like he's going to be battling some minor injuries all year. I could see him missing about 10-15 games with the possibility of more. At the same time, he may not miss that many games but try to play through nagging injuries which has a toll on his performance.

Also, consider something else. Kobe came out of high school and has had many long postseason runs. Simply put, he's logged lots of minutes on his body. Where does he rank? 16th all-time already. He's only around 170 minutes shy of Michael Jordan, who he should pass in about 6-7 games. Are you telling me that kind of toll doesn't have an effect on him?

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/31485/real-minutes-played

Now, he did successfully play well through his first back to back to back but it's still early in the season. Let's see how he does when we're around games 50 and 51.

b) The decline of Kobe wouldn't keep him off the 1st or 2nd team unless something else happened: the Lakers team declined. You're right, he's beat out guys with better statistical seasons for 1st team in the past. However, he's generally always been on a pretty successful team, meaning the winning gets him some votes. However, I do think the Lakers are going to struggle a bit this year at times and I think they're going to fall short of expectations. Here's why:

in a 66 game schedule with lots of back to backs, you want to have some good depth so that you aren't playing guys 40+ minutes on 3 nights in a row. The Lakers do not have much depth, especially with the trade of Odom. Their frontcourt is thin. While McRoberts was a nice pickup, he does not even come close to replacing Odom's production. Those 3 guys are going to have to play basically all of the minutes and considering Bynum is injury prone and Pau is on the wrong side of 30, thats not something you want to be relying on.

But that isn't even my biggest issue with the Lakers. Although, it's certainly a large one, the big issue is the backcourt depth. Your backup SG is Jason Kapono or I guess Matt Barnes. I'm not sure which one but if its Barnes, he's out of position and if it's Kapono, well, he's just not very good. Worse, your PG combination is atrocious. As Hollinger pointed out in his preview, the PG combo of the Lakers combined to have the 2nd worst PER of all positions in the NBA. And having read Basketball Prospectus' preview, Blake and Fisher combined for -2.5 WARP last season. Basketball Prospectus' SCHONE projects that the PG production improves to contribute only -1.5 WARP this season (yikes). Want to know what that means? Your PG production is below replacement level. That is to say, that you would be better off finding some bums off the street and inserting them into the starting lineup than going with your current crop of PGs. That is definitely not good.

Considering the league has MANY good PGs right now and the Lakers have the worst duo of PGs in the NBA, well, I'm sure you guys will be seeing a lot of 30 and 10 nights being put up on the Lakers duo of PGs.

Factor the horrible PG play, not much depth, no real bench scoring and the fact that the Lakers are an older team and you have a team likely to finish in the bottom half of the playoffs. And of course, thats probably assuming you don't have any serious injuries. If Bynum misses his typical time (as in about 20-25 games), the Lakers will probably miss the playoffs. If the schedule weren't so condensed and it were your typical 82 game schedule, they would be fine but not with this years schedule.

I'm also not alone in my predictions for the Lakers. Hollinger had them in the bottom half of the playoff teams and only had them as high as he did because he factored in the fact that free agents/cut players will flock to sign with the Lakers at some point during the season. They may pick up some decent players then was his logic. Basketball Prospectus SCHONE had the Lakers finishing 34-32, good for 7th in the conference.

Anyways, between what I think will be the decline of the overall Lakers team and the decline of Kobe, I don't think he'll even make 2nd team this year. If he does, I think it'll be because of name, not necessarily performance. I think you could see either Westbrook or Deron take his place, along with Rose or Paul in the backcourt. The 1st team will be Rose or Paul and Wade.

This is just my opinion though and I could end up being completely wrong, so don't bash me for going out on a limb lol.

haha, your guys basketball reasons are fine.

I'm just saying, we saw Kobe make the first team in 2010 with a pretty pedestrian PER and WS. If these numbers keep up or even if theres a slight drop off, and LAL lands a top four spot in the conference, history tells us Bryant is a lock for first team.

PatsSoxKnicks
12-29-2011, 12:38 AM
haha, your guys basketball reasons are fine.

I'm just saying, we saw Kobe make the first team in 2010 with a pretty pedestrian PER and WS. If these numbers keep up or even if theres a slight drop off, and LAL lands a top four spot in the conference, history tells us Bryant is a lock for first team.

Well that's one of the reasons I stated Kobe won't get first team- because the Lakers will be a bottom half playoff team. Read my whole post for my reasoning lol.

Bruno
12-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Well that's one of the reasons I stated Kobe won't get first team- because the Lakers will be a bottom half playoff team. Read my whole post for my reasoning lol.

i read 'em.

I just disagree with you. LAL finishes in the top half of the WC. :D

tankseed
12-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Hello!! Fashion,low price,Reliable quality,the good shopping places,
Cheap wholesale and retail Nike Air jordan shoes $40,
Nike shox shoes $40, Nike Air max shoes $41,
Nike Air Force one $40, Nike Dunk Shoes $42,
Gucci shoes $45, D&G shoes $46,
Timberland Shoes, LV shoes $46,
Griff Shoes, Women Boots,
belt $18, Hat $12,
sunglasses $16,
handbags,Jeans $39,
Watch,T-Shirt $20,
(NFL MLB NBA NHL) jerseys $25,
free shipping and quantity discount,
Welcome interested friends to order,
Maybe you will find suitable for your lover and friend's gift,
welcome to:====== http://www.china8trade.com ======

Mile High Champ
12-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Sent my picks to ManRam, guess he never posted them.

PacersForLife
12-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Who would've thought New Orleans, Golden State, Toronto, and Indiana would've been leading their respective divisions at any point?

CaptainClutch
01-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Who would've thought New Orleans, Golden State, Toronto, and Indiana would've been leading their respective divisions at any point?

Very very true dude. Granted its only the first week plus of the season, so I'm sure we'll see the predicted leaders climb up the standings