PDA

View Full Version : Does this team have "enough" ?

ShadyOne
12-22-2011, 07:38 PM
I know it's early, but I am curious if you guys think we have enough to be serious cup contenders?

This is assuming we are back at full strength (except for Staal)

Personally I think right now, we are likely one or 2 legit offensive players short. Not necessarily star-level players, but just nice, sneaky guys that up the creativity or speed a bit. Feel like compared to some of the other top teams, we are just a bit short in overall talent/skill level..

Just figured maybe we could start up some conversation, instead of talking about the same things/players over and over. Thoughts?

yanks024
12-22-2011, 08:05 PM
I know it's early, but I am curious if you guys think we have enough to be serious cup contenders?

This is assuming we are back at full strength (except for Staal)

Personally I think right now, we are likely one or 2 legit offensive players short. Not necessarily star-level players, but just nice, sneaky guys that up the creativity or speed a bit. Feel like compared to some of the other top teams, we are just a bit short in overall talent/skill level..

Just figured maybe we could start up some conversation, instead of talking about the same things/players over and over. Thoughts?

I do think the rangers can be a cup contending team barring any injuries and if they contiune to play and progress like they have shown early on this season....Look how our defense is playing without our best dman (staal)...Question is can we continue to play at this level for an entire season n playoffs...Lundquvist will always keep us as a possible contender if we score goals and play solid defense like we have been...I think at the deadline we need to get another scorer and package dubi n some of our prospects because we are loaded with them...Just my opinion, i believe we are another pure scorer away from contending...

thegame248
12-22-2011, 08:28 PM
I think the best thing that can happen is getting Staal, Sauer, and Eminger back healthy. I think with a fully healthy roster, we can make a deep run.

I think the lines should stay, for the most part the way they are.

Anisimiov-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Richards-Callahan
Hagelin-Boyle-Prust
Fedotenko-Christensen-Rupp

The 3rd and 4th lines have interchangeable parts. And if Wolski comes back healthy, maybe play him with Hagelin and Christensen for some people with speed. Or for the nights you need an extra spark or some intensity, put Avery in in place of Christensen. As long as you have 2 solid lines, and 2 lines that are serviceable, then I see no reason why the Rangers cant go far.

And then for D pairings

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-McDonagh
Eminger-MDZ

jetsfan89
12-22-2011, 10:58 PM
We need Boyle and Dubinsky to pick up the offense. Boyle's S% career wise is 8.7 and right now its a 3.6, i think he'll pick it up. Dubinsky's struggles have been discussed enough. We're getting great scoring from Gabby, Stepan, Anisimov, and Cally. Richards needs to pick it up slightly. Decent contributions from Hagelin and Feds, in addition to the other stuff they do defensively.

The team is different this year, we've been doing very well even with injured defensemen and players not really playing up to their capabilities offensively. When other players inevitably slow down, we'll have other players to step it up.

metswon69
12-23-2011, 03:37 AM
They need another scorer to keep up with the Bruins, Flyers, and Penguins, of the world (and yes i know they beat the 2 latter ones but it was on home ice).

Dubinsky, Boyle, and Anisimov are not legitimate goal scorers that strike fear in better competition (not at least this year to this point).

The Rangers start slow enough offensively in enough games when it comes to goals, scoring chances and shots. They need a sniper who is just a pure goal scorer aside from Gaborik because Lundqvist has stood on his head enough the last 2 years.

If a great goal scorer is out there at the deadline, i don't care about any of the young guys they would need to trade because this could be our year if they get one more legitimate goal scoring threat.

aanddann
12-23-2011, 11:41 AM
They need another scorer to keep up with the Bruins, Flyers, and Penguins, of the world (and yes i know they beat the 2 latter ones but it was on home ice).

Dubinsky, Boyle, and Anisimov are not legitimate goal scorers that strike fear in better competition (not at least this year to this point).

The Rangers start slow enough offensively in enough games when it comes to goals, scoring chances and shots. They need a sniper who is just a pure goal scorer aside from Gaborik because Lundqvist has stood on his head enough the last 2 years.

If a great goal scorer is out there at the deadline, i don't care about any of the young guys they would need to trade because this could be our year if they get one more legitimate goal scoring threat.

that's slightly aggressive. you can't forsake what we've been building since Jagr left just because were close to a great team this year. realistically I'd like to see a deep playoff run, but teams like ours need to win a few series and take that experience next year into a truly deep run. i shudder to think of what this team is going to be like when Kreider/Hagelin/Gaborik are flying up the wings.

realistically if we were to do anything to make this club better, i would say either try to add Bobby Ryan at the deadline if we can if the Ducks are still drowning (see what I did there?), or, and I realize this is completely unlikely, we wait til the offseason and hope Parise decides he wants to test the FA market.

If you give up Avery and Wolski's contract I'd say you can nearly pick up Parise as a fair tradeoff. In this NHL the 9.5 million dollar contract seems to be dying. Teams are trying to keep even the biggest players at 6mm at the most by giving them more years. If we could manage to get Parise for a term like Richards' I think the Rangers would easily be as frightening as the Bruins.

We'd have the goaltending, we'd still be rich in prospects and depth, we'd be young all over the team and we'd have roster space to let a prospect or two make the team (I'm assuming its a foregone conclusion that Kreider makes the team next year).

metswon69
12-23-2011, 02:09 PM
that's slightly aggressive. you can't forsake what we've been building since Jagr left just because were close to a great team this year. realistically I'd like to see a deep playoff run, but teams like ours need to win a few series and take that experience next year into a truly deep run. i shudder to think of what this team is going to be like when Kreider/Hagelin/Gaborik are flying up the wings.

realistically if we were to do anything to make this club better, i would say either try to add Bobby Ryan at the deadline if we can if the Ducks are still drowning (see what I did there?), or, and I realize this is completely unlikely, we wait til the offseason and hope Parise decides he wants to test the FA market.

If you give up Avery and Wolski's contract I'd say you can nearly pick up Parise as a fair tradeoff. In this NHL the 9.5 million dollar contract seems to be dying. Teams are trying to keep even the biggest players at 6mm at the most by giving them more years. If we could manage to get Parise for a term like Richards' I think the Rangers would easily be as frightening as the Bruins.

We'd have the goaltending, we'd still be rich in prospects and depth, we'd be young all over the team and we'd have roster space to let a prospect or two make the team (I'm assuming its a foregone conclusion that Kreider makes the team next year).

It's not slightly aggressive, they are 26th in the league in shots per game and 9th in goals per game.

Imagine how good they could be if they moved up their shot total with another elite goal scorer?

We are very rarely this close to putting it altogether like we did in 94' and this would be the first time we were a serious contender since 97'.

There are too many variables to wait for next year for Kreider, especially when this team has played so well this year. If you have an opportunity to put yourself over the top for this year's Stanley Cup (especially with very good defensive line and one of the best goaltenders in the league) you go for it.

If we can acquire a great goal scorer this year, then we should trade some of your depth to win now especially if a guy is under contract for longer than this year.

As for Parise, Gomez and Holik turned me off with acquiring former Devils because apparently it doesn't seem they can make the transition to playing with the Rangers.

IAmARanger18
12-23-2011, 04:09 PM
This team has a lot of heart and fight in them, might be on of the closest Ranger teams I have seen in the last few seasons. I think we have what it takes to win it all

NYR_NYJ
12-23-2011, 07:13 PM
This team can contend because they have an elite goalie play D and can play physical.

They need to play consistently and need to get more out of Dubinsky to stay at the top of the standingsso they can rest Hank at the end of the season.

C-Rod
12-28-2011, 03:15 PM
What to do, now that we are successful ???? Do we have enough depth to go 2-3 rounds ????? Could we beat Boston or Philly or Pittsburgh in a 7 game series ????? Can we beat Chicago or Detriot in the West ???? I'm not sure...we have to be honest..I don't want to be go just this year..I want to good for 10 years....just like the Detriots of this league...If we have a chance to pick up a goal scorer than we should, but definitely not at an expense of our young kids...

averymustgo
12-29-2011, 08:45 AM
If I created this thread, moron thegame would be bashing it in about 2 seconds. Who cares if the team has enough when it's January. Let Sather worry about it. The only thing this team should be worrying about is what happens with Staal and Sauer.

thegame248
12-29-2011, 09:44 AM
If I created this thread, moron thegame would be bashing it in about 2 seconds. Who cares if the team has enough when it's January. Let Sather worry about it. The only thing this team should be worrying about is what happens with Staal and Sauer.

Are you done playing the victim? This thread asks us for an opinion about the team and whether as it is currently constructed, can go deep in the playoff's. What this thread doesnt do, is complain about Avery, Dubinsky, Christensen etc...

I guess you missed the part in the first post where the thread creator says "lets get some discussion going rather than complaining about the same players/topics over and over again" Basically he was making fun of you.

Dubbs
12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
You can't sell the whole farm just for one player who MAY get you to a cup final. With the concussion epidemic this year, I'm even less likely to send 3 or 4 pieces elsewhere, especially for a sniper. Seems to me when playoff time rolls around you need complete players, not one demensional snipers. I think they have a good enough team to get to the Eastern Conference Finals. I agree with the "being good for 10 years" idea as opposed to go all out for this one season when we have a pretty heavy amount of youth with little playoff experience. I could be wrong but just off the top of my head MDZ doesnt have any playoff experience i dont think, hagelin none, Step has the one series last year. I wouldn't mind trading Dubi and a prospect/pick (or any combination of those 3 things) for a proven scorer. As it's been said, we have a few good prospects at the moment so I think we can afford trading a pick to add scoring, but I don't want all the farm talent sent away for one guy.

Also thegame, in response to your earlier post, i would much rather keep mitchell in the lineup then either Wolski/Christensen, putting them with hagelin on a line would not serve us well in a hard hitting series (as playing a team like boston always is).