PDA

View Full Version : Details of Monta Lawsuit...

asandhu23
12-22-2011, 07:11 PM
A sexual harassment complaint filed against the Golden State Warriors and a star player comes on the heels of another lawsuit that alleges the NBA is steeped in a culture that treats women unfairly, and could do more to protect all of its employees - not just the ones who play on the court.

On Wednesday, Erika Smith, the Warriors' former director of community relations, sued the team in Alameda County Superior Court, saying she was fired after executives learned guard Monta Ellis had sent her late-night texts that included a photo of his genitalia.

The lawsuit said Ellis started texting Smith in November 2010 with messages that included phrases like "I want to be with you" and "Hey Sexy," to which she responded, "What do you want?" and "I am sleeping." Ellis used a "secret" telephone kept by a Warriors equipment manager, the suit said.

After Ellis' wife, Juanika Amos Ellis, learned of the texts in January and complained to team executives, the Warriors changed Smith's job description and later fired her, said Smith's lawyer, Burton Boltuch.
Accusation denied

The Warriors disputed the allegations and said they had learned that Ellis and Smith were in a "consensual relationship" and told them both to stop. They did not say why they fired Smith.

The suit was filed less than a week after a former National Basketball Association security director in New York alleged that he had warned NBA officials for years that women in the league's office were being harassed by supervisors and co-workers, and that he was fired in July for supporting a female employee's lawsuit. The NBA has denied the allegations.

The plaintiff in that case, Warren Glover, a 10-year employee, said in his lawsuit that his previously glowing evaluations plummeted after he backed the women who complained of harassment and testified in support of a woman who sued the league and her boss in 2008.

Glover's attorney, Randolph McLaughlin, said Wednesday the league's "culture of misogyny" was illustrated by an incident at a training camp for rookies several years ago. At the camp, he said, a security director who was supposed to instruct the players on how to stay out of legal trouble showed them a photo of an obese, scantily clad woman lying on top of a skinny man, with a caption that warned them of the dangers of getting drunk.
Other suits

In 2007, a federal jury awarded $11.6 million in damages to Anucha Browne Sanders, a former New York Knicks executive who claimed the team's coach, former NBA star Isiah Thomas, had sexually harassed her with verbal insults and unwanted advances.

After an appeal, the case was later settled, with Madison Square Garden agreeing to pay her $11.5 million.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said Wednesday that the league has a "respect-in-the-workplace policy" for its employees and advises teams to adopt their own policies. He said the NBA and its Players Association conduct an annual training camp for rookies to educate them on "all aspects of being a professional."

Though allegations against sports figures of sexual misconduct have garnered widespread headlines - golfer Tiger Woods and former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky are among the recent examples - they seldom are accused of workplace sexual harassment, said William Gould, a former National Labor Relations Board chairman who teaches labor law and has written about legal issues in sports.

Gould said, however, that big-time sports can foster immaturity and arrogance that manifests itself in sexual abuse, and that college recruiting practices are partly to blame.

Many college sports programs "have become professional minor leagues, racing to bring in kids who can perform and bring in attendance and money" before they leave school early for the pros, he said. "They have a lot of attention, money and fame, and haven't been taught the basics."

Boltuch, Smith's lawyer, echoed that opinion, saying that his client was a victim of a professional sports climate that tolerated harassment.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/21/BAEU1MF1TI.DTL#ixzz1hJ9EiqP1

Monta is beast
12-22-2011, 07:24 PM
This is all bad.

Monta is beast
12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/video?PID=YBnDCVNXAj5LM_scH7KXbl0SQjVpxbkH

Good video about it.

robbnen#31
12-22-2011, 09:35 PM
As I said before, there is no way a law firm like that is going to claim they have photos and announce it at a public conference when they don't have them.

Anybody out there still want to call bs?

asandhu23
12-22-2011, 10:01 PM
yes. i call BS.

Monta is beast
12-22-2011, 11:12 PM
I think the story is overdone. I do think something happened, but I think it was consensual.

lol, please
12-22-2011, 11:41 PM
It just sucks all around, there is no reason for there to be any talk about the W's unless it involves basketball.
The team needs to be focused on making the playoffs.

robbnen#31
12-22-2011, 11:41 PM
yes. i call BS.

So you are saying that the plaintiff is lying, and that no sexually explicit pictures were sent by Monta Ellis?

This better be some sort of troll mission.

Leandres_sf
12-23-2011, 12:11 AM
No, I think the BS part is the back story. It is just as likely that things were consensual as it is that he story is true...

asandhu23
12-23-2011, 12:41 AM
So you are saying that the plaintiff is lying, and that no sexually explicit pictures were sent by Monta Ellis?

This better be some sort of troll mission.

She was fired by the Warriors for unspecified reason. She obviously has a grudge and thinks by blaming Monta she can coerce them into settling this with money.

MackShock
12-23-2011, 12:54 AM
but theres no denying her and monta talked, since his wife talked to warriors executives about moving her

killaT
12-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Hey atleast he didnt cheat with over 105 girls that Kobe did

Monta is beast
12-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Friday after practice, Monta Ellis made his first public comments sense a sexual harassment lawsuit was filed against him and the Warriors by former employee Erika Smith.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2011/12/23/monta-ellis-first-public-comments-since-being-sued-for-sexual-harrassment/

likemystylez
12-24-2011, 12:41 PM
but theres no denying her and monta talked, since his wife talked to warriors executives about moving her

yeah that kinda made me lose a lot of respect for montas wife. If your spouse is having an inappropriate relationship... YOU BLAME THE SPOUSE!!!!.... erika smith might not be married, she can do whatever she wants. She has no obligation to montas wife.

She should have divorced Monta if she had any respect for herself. I know he makes a lot of money... but LOl that argument makes me have even less respect for her.