PDA

View Full Version : One year deals...

spreadeagle
12-22-2011, 06:33 AM
I really like this,seems to be a bit of a trend this year..Nick Young, Jeff Green, Kwame Brown, Sam Dalembert "team option for two", Kris Humphries among others..Seems GM's are willing to pay guys a lil extra for one year as opposed to being locked into long term deals with uncertain players.I think its great for teams and fans.Players always play harder when they are playing for their next deal and teams wont be locked into 4 and 5 year deals with guys who dont pan out unless they have proved to be worth the money. Its worth it to pay a guy 9 million for one year first before locking him into a 5 year 50 million dollar deal..Thoughts

Birdmannn
12-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Always good having your players playing harder. More chances for other teams to take him away thou.

MackShock
12-22-2011, 06:44 AM
yep..7 mill expiring in kwame..pure genius lol

bholly
12-22-2011, 06:47 AM
I think Young and Green just accepted their qualifying offers, didn't they?

spreadeagle
12-22-2011, 06:56 AM
I think Young and Green just accepted their qualifying offers, didn't they?

But I think when they traded for him it was looked at at as big piece for the future...signing a one year 9 million dollar deal instead of locking him up seemed different then what teams would normally do with a good young player they gave there starting C up for.Kind of a show and prove approach

bholly
12-22-2011, 07:36 AM
But what I was saying is that it wasn't just up to the team. The team can want to lock a guy up all they want, but if they won't/can't offer the money he wants, and he's an RFA, he can just accept the qualifying offer. For all we know the Celtics and Wizards still see them as big pieces of the future, and wanted them long term, but the players wouldn't do it.

Of course there's almost always two sides to it, ie the teams could've just offered more on the long deals to get them done - and in that case I absolutely agree with you that it's good that they didn't overpay what they thought the guys were worth on long deals.
Still, I don't think it's necessarily a new trend of GMs liking 1-year deals, but rather a few cases of guys not liking their market value and holding out for more later.

In the case of Kwame, and to a lesser extent Dalembert, I totally agree that one year deals were the way to go. Humphries seems like another where they probably wanted to lock him up for longer, but he wanted another year to go get more money.