PDA

View Full Version : Del Zotto Rebounds With Help From Richards

jetsfan89
12-22-2011, 02:27 AM
As usual, Michael Del Zotto had dinner at a Manhattan restaurant Wednesday night with Brad Richards. The meal, on the eve of the Rangers’ game against the Islanders at Madison Square Garden, has become a ritual for the teammates. They also live in the same downtown apartment building. For Del Zotto, a third-year defenseman, Richards’s guidance is a primary reason he is flourishing after a season so disastrous, he could not even dismiss it as a sophomore slump.

“Ultimately, a player has to fix his own game with the coaches when things go as badly as they did last season,” Del Zotto said after a recent practice. “But Richie’s support at the rink and away from it has made a huge difference.”

After a hope-raising rookie season in 2009-10, Del Zotto — the Rangers’ first-round pick three years ago — floundered in Year 2. Benchings, a demotion to the minors and a broken finger limited him to 47 games. “I lost confidence,” Del Zotto said. “It was a mental toughness thing. I got down on myself.”

Source (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/22/sports/hockey/rangers-del-zotto-rebounds-with-help-from-richards.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss)

dashripdot
12-22-2011, 06:07 AM
This is the kind of contribution -- beyond the goals and assists -- that guys like Richards get the bucks for. And most people who look at a big contract and complain just don't understand. Of course, it's not every player with a huge deal who does the same thing, so the Rangers are fortunate to have Richards. The investment in Richards increases the value of the team's other, smaller investments in MDZ and who-knows- how-many other players Richards is helping to improve.

averymustgo
12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Not mentioned was what an awful influence Avery was on Del Zotto which was reported many times. On of the many reasons Torts doesn't want him around that much.

njnets
12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
i tried to explain this to people. richards brought in a new culture to the team.

i am not going to say that all of the rangers success rests solely on richards shoulders. but to say that his stats are the only thing he has done for the team is dumb. he has changed the way the players look at the game and has really rejuvenated some of the players on this team.

confidence levels were so much higher going into this season than they were last year.

thegame248
12-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Not mentioned was what an awful influence Avery was on Del Zotto which was reported many times. On of the many reasons Torts doesn't want him around that much.

Here you go again. This is an article about Del Zotto and Richards and all you can talk about is Avery. GET OVER IT!

averymustgo
12-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Continue to keep him away from that dumbazzzzz Avery and talking with Richards, the ski is the limit for Del Zotto.