PDA

View Full Version : Ray Allen calls out David West

FriedTofuz
12-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Ray Allen thinks David West made a mistake choosing Indy

David West is a Pacer, a big pickup for an Indiana team that barely scrapped into the playoffs last year. They picked up an All-Star power forward who is as good a pick-and-pop big as there is in the game.

But West was almost a Celtic and would have been key to their run at a ring with the big three.

In the end, West chose two years, $20 million from the Pacers over three years, $29 million from the Celtics (it was a complex sign-and-trade that got slowed down because the Hornets didn’t want Jermaine O’Neal back, and we can’t blame them). Ray Allen doesn’t get West’s choice and spoke his mind to ESPNBoston.com.

“Once it got down to the end, I think his ego kicked back in,” Allen said. “He wanted the dollars. I guess it comes down to ‘What is a championship worth to you?’

“Think of all the guys who have made $20 million and could be considered one of the best ever, but they get chided because they never won. We [the Big Three] all had to do less when we won. We’re still taking less to make it work. But it’s worth it. No one can ever say to KG, Paul or me, ‘You guys never got your ring.’”

We don’t know what went into West’s decision — money, lifestyle, that he saw the Pacers as a team with potential down the line. But to call out a guy’s championship heart is pretty harsh.

And as Tom Ziller reminds us, Allen didn’t take less money to come to Boston, he was in the middle of a five-year deal and made $16 million in 2008. He signed an extension at $10 million per.

Ray Allen has just reached the cranky old man phase of his career and is holding nothing back.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/20/ray-allen-thinks-david-west-made-a-mistake-choosing-indy/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

sp1derm00
12-21-2011, 12:22 AM
I see upsides for David West on both teams.

The Celtics might contend this year, but what about next? Rondo would be good with West for a while, Rondo has at least the same passing ability as CP3. However, the Pacers are a much younger team and will grow age WITH West, not faster than him.

I think either way, his choice would have been solid.

illwill83
12-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Allen right some of these dudes make so much money and be acting like they hurting. He will regret is years down the road when he running around ring less on top of that broke lol.

PacersForLife
12-21-2011, 12:26 AM
With a depleted, aging Celtics team I would be mad at a former All-Star signing with another team too. I do believe it wasn't West's fault though, it was a sign and trade and he couldn't control that considering the Hornets didn't want to take back Jermaine O'Neal.

Duncan = Donkey
12-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Yer shut up Ray Allen, mind your own business. He just seems bitter cause another good player didn't come over.

PacersForLife
12-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Allen right some of these dudes make so much money and be acting like they hurting. He will regret is years down the road when he running around ring less on top of that broke lol.

Ok... he makes $1 Mil less playing here in Indy while it is also a shorter contract. He obviously wasn't in it for the money, he has said he sees a bright future for this team.

topdog
12-21-2011, 12:29 AM
I see very logically why West chose Indy over Boston: 1. Garnett plays PF, so does West. Where would West get his minutes (would he be forced to play C?)? 2. Boston didn't have the assets to make an easy trade and Stern already vetoed a much better NOLA move. West could have been waiting a long time on a trade that may never have come.

topdog
12-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Ok... he makes $1 Mil less playing here in Indy while it is also a shorter contract. He obviously wasn't in it for the money, he has said he sees a bright future for this team.

Is he making $1M less? The article above says $20M for 2 yrs. ($10M/yr) vs. $29M for 3 yrs ($9.67M/yr).

I think Indy made a great deal for themselves - his contract is not too large or, more importantly, long.

mavwar53
12-21-2011, 12:37 AM
what a ****in baby, crying cause he knows they can't win with the squad they have, he hasn't sacrificed a dime so he has no room to talk.

Duncan = Donkey
12-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Ray Allen = Douchebag.

Pacers are going to be a playoff team, and he will be there starting PF as opposed to a back up to KG in Boston?

And Mr Douchebag thinks West chose them for the cash. an extra $330,000 a year is nothing to him. Hey Douchebag not everyone is a ring chaser you douchebag.

blastmasta26
12-21-2011, 12:39 AM
Am I missing something here? How does West's decision reflect money at all? He's making roughly the same yearly amount in both Indy and Boston, and he's actually making more money if he goes to Boston since he likely won't get $9 mil+ after this Indy deal ends.

seikou8
12-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Ray Allen = Douchebag.

Pacers are going to be a playoff team, and he will be there starting PF as opposed to a back up to KG in Boston?

And Mr Douchebag thinks West chose them for the cash. an extra $330,000 a year is nothing to him. Hey Douchebag not everyone is a ring chaser you douchebag.

what wrong with this i thought this everyone goal when your in the nba dude.

Duncan = Donkey
12-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Am I missing something here? How does West's decision reflect money at all? He's making roughly the same yearly amount in both Indy and Boston, and he's actually making more money if he goes to Boston since he likely won't get $9 mil+ after this Indy deal ends.

Ray Allen is an NBA player. 90% of them are illiterate morons. So you ccan forgive him for not understanding basic math.

Duncan = Donkey
12-21-2011, 12:45 AM
what wrong with this i thought this everyone goal dude

Yer I understand everyone wants to win a ring, but there is dignified way to do it.

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Lol no one wants to go to the Celtics because their old.

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Yer I understand everyone wants to win a ring, but there is dignified way to do it.

Like Nash?

Yea no, im sure a lot of people would of loved to see this guy get a ring, he deserves more than a lot of people. One of the best PG of all time and a class act.

Cal827
12-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Wow of all people. Dumb statment by Allen. He is aware that Indy is a young, up and coming team, right? Also if it doesn't work out, I'm sure in two years another team, likely a contender will be asking for his services lol

Avenged
12-21-2011, 12:49 AM
It's just not as attractive to play with players or teams who are on the decline. The Pacers are a team who are coming together nicely and West is a huge piece they've added. West probably didn't see where he would fit in with the Celtics since they have KG.

PacersForLife
Is he making $1M less? The article above says $20M for 2 yrs. ($10M/yr) vs. $29M for 3 yrs ($9.67M/yr).

I think Indy made a great deal for themselves - his contract is not too large or, more importantly, long.

Typo.... $1 Mil more. My bad.

KingShango
It is funny how Ray Allen can talk about taking less. He already made his money before coming to Boston. Not to mention KG who had two ridiculously large contracts. Not only did West go with the younger team, but the team where is gonna get more playing time as a starter as opposed to being a back-up PF.

Live and Let Live Ray Ray....

GiantsSwaGG
12-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Ray Allen is a classless *****

seikou8
Like Nash?

Yea no, im sure a lot of people would of loved to see this guy get a ring, he deserves more than a lot of people. One of the best PG of all time and a class act.

let him come to knicks

nash
iman
melo
amare
chandler

omg thats a championship team right there

sep11ie
Maybe Ray hasn't heard that a certain Pacer had a growth spurt this offseason... Made the Pacers a prime FA desination.

PacersForLife
12-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Maybe Ray hasn't heard that a certain Pacer had a growth spurt this offseason... Made the Pacers a prime FA desination.

Yeah... that certain 6'10'' SG was the whole reason he came here, rumor has it. :rolleyes:

LakersIn5
12-21-2011, 12:57 AM
i agree with ray ray. i dont see the pacers win the ship in the next decade. realistically i only see the heat, bulls, mavs, thunder, spurs, lakers, knicks, clippers, grizzlies, having a chance to win a title in the next 2 years which is the number of years west signed with the pacers

PacersForLife
12-21-2011, 12:59 AM
i agree with ray ray. i dont see the pacers win the ship in the next decade. realistically i only see the heat, bulls, mavs, thunder, spurs, lakers, knicks, clippers, grizzlies, having a chance to win a title in the next 2 years which is the number of years west signed with the pacers

If you say so.
Not so sure I see the Lakers in that boat either if they don't make a big move.

NE Sportsfan
12-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Ray Allen = Douchebag.

Oh this I why I never visit the NBA forum.

Thanks!

Duncan = Donkey
12-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Oh this I why I never visit the NBA forum.

Thanks!

your weird. dont bother me again please.

GiantsSwaGG
12-21-2011, 01:15 AM
Ray Allen = Douchebag.

Lmao

La11
12-21-2011, 01:19 AM
I don't get it. How is taking 2 year for 20 million more than 29 million for 3 years? shouldn't it be the other way around how he took less to play for Pacers? Average wise West takes less by 1 million but by not taking an extra year he loses 9 million if he suffers career ending surgery..

GiantsSwaGG
12-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Nobody wants to play with a bunch of Grandpa's!

Corey
12-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Ray Allen is one of the most respected players in the NBA.

Some of the responses in this thread are hilarious.

Corey
12-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Lol no one wants to go to the Celtics because their old.
Its not just the age. Boston sucks in the winter, the media sucks, the fans are irrational, the taxes are high, cost of living is high, and on top of all of that...The team is old.

I wouldn't sign in Boston if I was an NBA free agent. Just being honest.

MTar786
12-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Its not just the age. Boston sucks in the winter, the media sucks, the fans are irrational, the taxes are high, cost of living is high, and on top of all of that...The team is old.

I wouldn't sign in Boston if I was an NBA free agent. Just being honest.

me too :D

thekmp211
12-21-2011, 01:45 AM
Ray Allen is one of the most respected players in the NBA.

Some of the responses in this thread are hilarious.

i was waiting for something along these lines...

regardless, i actually do disagree with ray in this case. even as a celts fan, i think they need to prove that they are on the short list of contenders this year. i don't blame west for wanting a starting role, and the pacers are going to be a fun team.

BKLYNpigeon
12-21-2011, 01:50 AM
Celtics didnt get any notable Free Agents this season...

HOZ THE KNICK
12-21-2011, 01:50 AM
i heard it was the hornets more than it was west he just didn't want to get left out...

ramz.n
12-21-2011, 02:02 AM
lets face it..noone wants to sign a long term contract with the celtics because after garnett,allen and pierce retire..the star player they bring in will get screw over.

lkingratedr
12-21-2011, 02:02 AM
sorry ray its the chance to start and help build up a franchise rather than play behind garnett for 2 seasons... if it was about dollars he would have raped a team with cap space ... small market dude staying small market

PacersForLife
12-21-2011, 02:07 AM
sorry ray its the chance to start and help build up a franchise rather than play behind garnett for 2 seasons... if it was about dollars he would have raped a team with cap space ... small market dude staying small market

David is just a class act kinda guy, not about the big city or being flashy.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-21-2011, 02:10 AM
David is just a class act kinda guy, not about the big city or being flashy.

i agree every athlete is not about the big cities or the spotlights some go about their business a lil different.

Hustlenomics
12-21-2011, 02:15 AM
lmao @ ray allen being classless

The Final Boss
12-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Who's Ray Allen?

Bulls_fan90
12-21-2011, 02:23 AM
He obviously wants to play with Paul George.

PacersForLife
12-21-2011, 02:43 AM
He obviously wants to play with Paul George.

You Bulls fans don't ever get tired of jokes do you?

Piercefan34
12-21-2011, 02:44 AM
this thread is ******** lol you guys who are calling Ray dumb seem, just by your responses, to have an IQ equal to that of a high school drop out. Ray Allen is one of the classiest, smartest athletes in the league.

Please stop littering the forum with your miserable responses, you're embarrassing yourselves.

PacersForLife
12-21-2011, 02:44 AM
lmao @ ray allen being classless

I like Ray Allen this comment was not like him though, must be that mid-life NBA crisis kickin' in.

Lloyd Christmas
12-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Come on Ray. You're better then that.

ztilzer31
12-21-2011, 02:56 AM
Or maybe Ray he thought he didn't want to go to the team with the most senior citizens on it.

FriedTofuz
12-21-2011, 03:00 AM
ray allen is just mad so he doesnt have to work as hard so david west can be more of help. who honestly wants to sign with the celtics? a team on the decline? theyre colder than toronto, and yet people say toronto is too cold

jammastershake
12-21-2011, 03:00 AM
this thread is ******** lol you guys who are calling Ray dumb seem, just by your responses, to have an IQ equal to that of a high school drop out. Ray Allen is one of the classiest, smartest athletes in the league.

Please stop littering the forum with your miserable responses, you're embarrassing yourselves.

I guess i'll agree with you because you're not a celtics fan or anything. Oh wait......

FriedTofuz
12-21-2011, 03:08 AM

Are you sure your not just saying this cuz boston is your homer team?

thekmp211
12-21-2011, 03:33 AM
I like Ray Allen this comment was not like him though, must be that mid-life NBA crisis kickin' in.

i think he's a little bitter that players are passing the c's up. conventional wisdom says they've turned the corner and are too old. hopefully this will translate into the team playing with a chip on their shoulder. the center position is really troubling this year.

FarOutIos
12-21-2011, 03:42 AM
this thread is retatrded lol you guys wtho are calling Ray dumb seem, just by your responses, to have an IQ equal to that of a high school drop out. Ray Allen is one of the classiest, smartest athletes in the league.

This post is as illogical and pathetic as rays comments.

Ray is obviously the one who has a low IQ as he cannot do the math and realize that west is getting basically the same annual salary both ways.

For all we know, $10 million might be the start of a new tax bracket and thus he may be getting less annually as a result.

And more importantly- he will now be in a smaller media market and will likely make less off the court income... Just sayin.

thekmp211
12-21-2011, 03:47 AM
This post is as illogical and pathetic as rays comments.

Ray is obviously the one who has a low IQ as he cannot do the math and realize that west is getting basically the same annual salary both ways.

For all we know, $10 million might be the start of a new tax bracket and thus he may be getting less annually as a result.

And more importantly- he will now be in a smaller media market and will likely make less off the court income... Just sayin.

believe it or not -- ray allen probably doesn't care enough about david west to look up EXACTLY what he's making. i think he assumed west chose the pacers for money, which is a fair but in this case
incorrect assumption.

edit: there are no tax brackets starting at $10 million income.

Sadds The Gr8
12-21-2011, 03:49 AM
who wouldn't want to play with Paul George?

FriedTofuz
12-21-2011, 04:21 AM

Why are people always getting defensive over their team's players? I'll admit ray allen is a classy guy, but his statements were poor thought out and illogical. why were they poor thought out? THe pacers are offering 1 million more than the celtics, yet hes complaining. Ray has to understand, boston is on the decline, the pacers can become a contender to. Everything can change. Just because ray allen is on the decline, he expects everyone to chase contenders? Its david west's choice . Alot plays into why west would sign with indiana. Maybe west wants a 2 year commitment.

Celtic fans, like pierce fan over here, need to stop hiding from what was said. Ray allen, I respect you, but your comments represent " the IQ of a highschool dropout" .

lol you guys who are calling Ray dumb seem, just by your responses, to have an IQ equal to that of a high school drop out.
Also piercefan, whos to say the IQ of someone is low just because they dropped out of school? someone can be a genious with an IQ equivalent to a gifted individual, but might make decisions for whats important. What if someoen dropped out of school to work to make money for their family? Does that make them stupid? No, it just shows how illogical you think and you dont even consider why someone would drop out. Also, alot of people have bad time management skills but can poses high intellect. Look at bill gates. Before you start labeling people, consider the facts and think from multiple perspectives. :laugh2:

you're embarrassing yourselves
Your comment is embaressing celtic fans. Just because you were biased, you now made other celtic fans look bad.

MJ-BULLS
12-21-2011, 04:45 AM
I like Ray Allen's way of thinking. Some people care more about the money and the fame than winning ships. west could of definitely helped out the celtics, but i can understand why he chose the pacers. they are a good team.

Ebbs
12-21-2011, 05:02 AM
I would like to see Indian vs. Boston first round matchup. (Indy could easily win.)

Indy is one of the leagues deepest teams IMO.

Antipod
12-21-2011, 05:06 AM
An unnecessary bashing from Ray Ray ... didn`t expect such things from such a classy guy.

FriedTofuz
12-21-2011, 05:26 AM
I would like to see Indian vs. Boston first round matchup. (Indy could easily win.)

Indy is one of the leagues deepest teams IMO.

Dude they've only played one game and theyre now one of the leagues most deepest teams? People need to wait and see how the teams play more. On paper a team may look like something, but collectivly when they play, it may say another.

SeoulBeatz
12-21-2011, 05:54 AM
In my honest opinion, the Pacers will finish above the Celtics this year.

Losing Jeff Green REALLY hurts. The Celts used to have soooo much depth and a really tight knit team with great chemistry. Rondo is still a top 5 PG though, but the big 3 is getting alarmingly old, and their bench is pretty mediocre at this point. Brandon Bass was a solid addition but who else? Is Avery Bradley ready to contribute significant minutes? I don't trust J.O holding up for an entire season.

I dunno, if i had to put my money on it id pick the Pacers and even my Sixers to potentially finish higher than the celts. Not tryna hate, I just think this season won't be kind to aging teams.

FarOutIos
12-21-2011, 06:08 AM
believe it or not -- ray allen probably doesn't care enough about david west to look up EXACTLY what he's making. i think he assumed west chose the pacers for money, which is a fair but in this case
incorrect assumption.

edit: there are no tax brackets starting at $10 million income.

Thanks... just incase I ever get to that income level... I now know. Lol.

On a side note... Which is worse... Signing for a team for money? Or signing for a team just to try and win a championship?

Seems like West was damned if he did... both ways.

SeoulBeatz
12-21-2011, 06:17 AM

On a side note... Which is worse... Signing for a team for money? Or signing for a team just to try and win a championship?

Toss up. Being an NBA player must be pretty surreal. But when you have such a short career with no guarantees for your health, I can't blame anybody who goes for the money. I'd do the same.

sargon21
12-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Off-topic, Indiana is one overrated team.

magichatnumber9
12-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Who's George Paul?

PHX2daDEATH
12-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Hm, a young versatile and deep team like Indiana or an aging squad ike the Celtics..In Indiana David West is a leader, in Boston he's a KG/Pierce footsoldier..I don't blame West, Boston is on the back-end of their one championship ..i don't see them beating Miami with or without him

Heediot
12-21-2011, 08:09 AM
I think the Pacers right now have a better chance of attaining a future title than the Celtics. Neither will win it this year, but the Pacers have a better shot moving forward. They have cap flexibility and youth. Allen is over-estimating the worth of his team right now.

NY007
12-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Who the **** is Ray Allen to comment on someone's carear choices? That's ****ing bs, he's acting like a child.

theheatles
12-21-2011, 08:58 AM
the celtics are going to fall off the map after this season, pierce might stay but ray allen and kg will be gone, prob to brooklyn, chicago or LA

xBLAMEITON24x
12-21-2011, 09:00 AM
The Celtics time is running short, West knows this and choose the team which is the best fit for him.

ShakeN'Bake
12-21-2011, 09:10 AM
I don't really understand how it was David West choice. He can't force the Hornets to accept JO.

tcav701
12-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Indiana has made some major improvements but without a full training camp and preseason, it may take untill next year for them to gel.

And everybody loves Raymond, but he really shouldnt be commenting on where other players decide to sign.

ShakeN'Bake
12-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Celtics cant get any notable Free Agents any season...

fixed.

FriedTofuz
12-21-2011, 05:17 PM
theyre time is running short(celtics) cant expect west to not want to sign with a young upcoming team.

thekmp211
12-21-2011, 05:28 PM

you're right. i'm a c's fan and i don't begrudge his decision. nor do i hate on guys who sign with contenders looking for a ring.

everyone has their own ultimate motives and goals for playing, as long as they try hard and are good teammates its not up to fans to critique their life choices. sadly, this is not how it works in real life.

TragicallyHip
12-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Ray Allen = Douchebag.

Wait, do you think Ray Allen is a douchebag?

:facepalm:

waveycrockett
12-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Ray Allen is mad West took more money to play on a team on the upswing instead of taking the minimum to play with the nursing home allstars.

MacFitz92
12-21-2011, 05:44 PM
There's not a problem with joining a team a better chance at a ring, or signing to make more money with a starting opportunity. Players have that choice and it's kind of stupid for RA to say something like that, because it's the player's choice. This isn't Communist NBA... at least yet.

PacersForLife
12-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Indiana has made some major improvements but without a full training camp and preseason, it may take untill next year for them to gel.

And everybody loves Raymond, but he really shouldnt be commenting on where other players decide to sign.
I agree, it appears it will take time for the team to gel.

I don't really understand how it was David West choice. He can't force the Hornets to accept JO.
Exactly.

Off-topic, Indiana is one overrated team.

Funny how a Bulls' fan is the only one to say something like this. Especially since other Bulls' fans are saying the Pacers are a good team. Just face it, this team is coming back after a long drought of no playoff appearances.

Bravo95
12-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Never concern yourself with another man's money.

ombada
12-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Straight up pimpin.

Corey
12-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Unless you're David Stern.

KB24PG16
12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
ray allen must not know how to do math if he thinks west didnt come because of money

FriedTofuz
12-22-2011, 01:15 AM

I hope you do realize people can drop out of school for many reasons, reasons that dont concern intelligence. people drop out to work and help soupport their families. Your embaressing yourself.

Cal827
12-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Well of course he would play for Indiana. 6-10 SG Paul George will take him to far away places that he's never seen before. Even farther than that trip he took from snorting that coke laced with weed, acid, exctacy, and Lucky Charms while performing auto-erotic asphyxiation.

xxcubs22xx
12-22-2011, 02:45 AM
smh.

Damn Ray Ray. That's lame man.

kidfury
12-22-2011, 03:02 AM
i always thought allen was ok. Wouldn't think allen would say something like that... maybe spending too much time with kg and pierce is starting to influence him.

Super.
12-22-2011, 03:26 AM
Ray Allen = Douchebag.

:laugh:

Riiiiiight