PDA

View Full Version : Brook Lopez: "I was lazy on the boards last season"

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Last season Brook Lopez grabbed 10 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor, while teammates Kris Humphries (22 percent) and Troy Murphy (15.4 percent) were considerably more successful on the glass. "It was a number of things ó I was being lazy, first and foremost," Lopez said. "Hump was doing such a good job a lot of the time, that Iíd see him doing his thing and kind of leak out offensively...thereís really no excuse for that because I didnít leak out defensively at all." Lopez is trying to refocus on his rebounding and it showed in the Nets' first preseason game when he grabbed 11 boards. While it's just one preseason game, Lopez is saying and doing all the right things. If it continues into the regular season, Lopez will again take his place among the elite fantasy centers. Dec 20 - 2:36 PM
Source: New York Post

http://rotoworld.com/player/nba/1495/brook-lopez

My question is, why is Brook Lopez such a sought out prospect for the Orlando Magic? Why is he such a valuable asset if his attitude was such last year? And why are the Magic intent on making him the replacement franchise player for Dwight Howard?

If anything, his game is the total opposite of Dwight. Dwight concentrates on dominating on defense while Brook concentrates on offense.

So why is Orlando really wanting Brook Lopez so bad?

xxcubs22xx
12-20-2011, 09:25 PM
He's lazy, period. No surprise there. It boils down to what he wants to work on as a player.

If Orlando wants Brook it's because apparently he's 2nd best to dwight.

jbader09
12-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I think he is just saying that to show people that he can put up strong rebounding numbers if he tried. I think the big reason for his low numbers was Hump's aggressive attitude and hustle on the boards and he took most of the boards from Brook.

jmoney85
12-20-2011, 09:36 PM
question is.... would a laker fan really be making this thread if dwight howard wasnt on the block?

thenetslegend
12-20-2011, 09:39 PM
i see why you made this..

Broadwayjoe NY
12-20-2011, 09:41 PM
And the excuse for the rest of his career?? He averaged 15.8% his rookie year and 13.5% the following year, yes 10% is terrible, but whether it's lack of effort or whatever, he's never been a dominant rebounding center. He's a special talent and the extra effort on the glass would be nice, but it just doesn't seem like something that he's going to lead the league in and if he's surrounded by the right players than that's fine.

jmoney85
12-20-2011, 09:41 PM
i cant believe they are comparing him to troy murphy who played about 5 minutes with the nets last season

seikou8
12-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Last season Brook Lopez grabbed 10 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor, while teammates Kris Humphries (22 percent) and Troy Murphy (15.4 percent) were considerably more successful on the glass. "It was a number of things ó I was being lazy, first and foremost," Lopez said. "Hump was doing such a good job a lot of the time, that Iíd see him doing his thing and kind of leak out offensively...thereís really no excuse for that because I didnít leak out defensively at all." Lopez is trying to refocus on his rebounding and it showed in the Nets' first preseason game when he grabbed 11 boards. While it's just one preseason game, Lopez is saying and doing all the right things. If it continues into the regular season, Lopez will again take his place among the elite fantasy centers. Dec 20 - 2:36 PM

My question is, why is Brook Lopez such a sought out prospect for the Orlando Magic? Why is he such a valuable asset if his attitude was such last year? And why are the Magic intent on making him the replacement franchise player for Dwight Howard?

If anything, his game is the total opposite of Dwight. Dwight concentrates on dominating on defense while Brook concentrates on offense.

because he is young and he averaged 20 points last year and has played all 82 games two years in a row how many times andrew bynum did that, oh he blocks 1.7 per game for his career not as bad you make seem. andrew bynum is a injury prone overated center

Broadwayjoe NY
12-20-2011, 09:50 PM
because he is young and he averaged 20 points last year and has played all 82 games two years in a row how many times andrew bynum did that, oh he blocks 1.7 per game for his career not as bad you make seem. andrew bynum is a injury prone overated center

While it may be clear what the intent of the OP was, he never explicitly stated Andrew Bynum in his post, so there's no need for the negative/baiting comments and thus the beginning of the hijacking of yet another thread.

You answered the question pretty well with stating Brook's positives and leaving it at that would have been quite sufficient.

netsgiantsyanks
12-20-2011, 09:50 PM
i could have ****ing told him that.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-20-2011, 09:51 PM

Not trying to discredit Brook Lopez, and I'm not saying definitely that Bynum is better.

If Lopez can't put forth the effort, and Bynum can't stay healthy on the floor...

THEN WHAT IS ORLANDO REALLY LOOKING FOR ???? :confused:

thenetslegend
12-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Not trying to discredit Brook Lopez, and I'm not saying definitely that Bynum is better.

If Lopez can't put forth the effort, and Bynum can't stay healthy on the floor...

his rebounds will go up this year, but i think bynum is better myself, if lopez gets rebounds and bynum stays healthy then the magic would have good deals on the table from both teams

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-20-2011, 09:55 PM
While it may be clear what the intent of the OP was, he never explicitly stated Andrew Bynum in his post, so there's no need for the negative/baiting comments and thus the beginning of the hijacking of yet another thread.

You answered the question pretty well with stating Brook's positives and leaving it at that would have been quite sufficient.

Thanks for not totally bashing me.

Broadwayjoe NY
12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
i could have ****ing told him that.

Right. It's the exact same thing I deal with with Amare'e. When you have that size and athletic ability (Amare'e moreso) there is no excuse that you should not be getting a higher TRB% or double digit rebounds per game, other than lazyness or lack of technique. Some guys, certain guards, have a natural instinct for where the ball is going to land, but effort can most certainly make up for the lack of intuition.

They both have tremendous skills and bring a lot to the table, but there's no reason either shouldn't be grabbing a few extra boards a game.

MrfadeawayJB
12-20-2011, 11:11 PM
excuses excuses. Anybody can say they were not very good at something because they were "lazy". The truth of the matter is that Lopez is soft on the glass and will never be a great rebounder. I say he is not "lazy" this season and maybe increases his numbers 1 rebound per game more

arkanian215
12-20-2011, 11:45 PM
I don't want to hear something like that. It's one thing to be lazy but it's another thing to be lazy and admit it. Just put in the effort. Everyone knew he would be a below average rebounder coming into the league. Having a guy like Hump doesn't help. Having mono doesn't help. Being lazy is inexcusable.

Lakeshow24KB
12-21-2011, 12:13 AM
See this is a problem in my opinion. Because now he's basically telling the fans that he will bounce back and be good in rebounding since he isn't "lazy" anymore but if he's wrong and has another below average season then he'll lose more respect.

FriedTofuz
12-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Honestly there arent many decent centers, thats why the magic rather go after lopez as their replacement,

D Roses Bulls
12-21-2011, 12:17 AM
so it took him a whole season and some more to realize he was too lazy on the boards? good call brook.

Avenged
12-21-2011, 01:01 AM
so it took him a whole season and some more to realize he was too lazy on the boards? good call brook.

Yeah, just a weird comment by him. So he agrees that he hasn't really been trying? I'd be irate if I were part of management and coaching staff.

jej
12-21-2011, 01:11 AM
They want him because he would replace Howard, who they have to trade. Im sure they would rather keep Dwight, but for some reason he wants to leave

Cano-Montero...
12-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Dont get why you made a thread like this? nets forum maybe?

thekmp211
12-21-2011, 01:48 AM
ha. brook, we know. you're 7 feet tall.

HouRealCoach
12-21-2011, 02:53 AM

Gotta get something in return and brook lopez isnt as bad as people say he is... He is a scorer and could become a 20,10 player for his career

shep33
12-21-2011, 03:08 AM
Bonehead comment IMO, your probably about to get traded to Orlando and you come out with a statement like this?

You can bet the Magic FO is paying close attention to Lopez and Bynum right now, so I'm sure they'll hear about this.

Oh and Humphries is back lol, so is he going to be "lazy" now again?

naps
12-21-2011, 03:11 AM

Because he can stay on the court for a year, not go down after 15 games, and he has an elite offensive game. And he has plenty of room to improve on both ends unlike GlassKnee who already played for 6 years.
And may be because Magic wants to make your username worthless ;)

CousinsEvansDUO
12-21-2011, 03:13 AM
If you are in the NBA, making millions of dollars for your effort and your work in the game of basketball, and you are lazy...then you don't deserve to have a job there.

arkanian215
12-21-2011, 09:49 AM
If you are in the NBA, making millions of dollars for your effort and your work in the game of basketball, and you are lazy...then you don't deserve to have a job there.

You're saying AI didn't deserve a job in the league?

xxplayerxx23
12-21-2011, 10:20 AM
disgusting with all the talent he has, He can be a good rebounder, anybody can. Its all about will heart, and determination. Look at what barkley did even at his size. he wanted it more, So come on brook anybody can rebound esp a 7 ft center. I see him avg 9-10 a game this year IMO

waveycrockett
12-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Because Centers who can score 20 points per game dont grow on trees.

waveycrockett
12-21-2011, 10:29 AM

Then the Kings would have to fire their best player.

waveycrockett
12-21-2011, 10:32 AM
excuses excuses. Anybody can say they were not very good at something because they were "lazy". The truth of the matter is that Lopez is soft on the glass and will never be a great rebounder. I say he is not "lazy" this season and maybe increases his numbers 1 rebound per game more
Define "soft" on the glass lol. I love when people pull that word out of their rear. Does that make Zach Randolph soft because he has been a horrible defender his entire career?

tcav701
12-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Lopez should stop eating spinach salads and doing yoga in his spare time and start lifting some wieghts.

basketfan4life
12-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Because he can stay on the court for a year, not go down after 15 games, and he has an elite offensive game. And he has plenty of room to improve on both ends unlike GlassKnee who already played for 6 years.
And may be because Magic wants to make your username worthless ;)

your ideas are less valuable than a ****.

kjdills13
12-21-2011, 11:58 AM
well thats because he is a BIG PF playing C. I dont want to compare him to Tim Duncan because he doesnt deserve it. But in terms of size and position he needs a C to play next to him half of the game. And then slide to the C spot on occasion. The nets should go after a guy like Dallembert. It would give them a HUGE lineup, a defensive center, and offenseive PF. and I think it would solidify there team, and make them a top 5 team in the east

JIDsanity
12-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I fail to see why so many people are knocking him for admitting he had a problem. This isn't an "excuse." An excuse would be like Brook saying he was bothered by mono all season. Brook admitted he has a problem, and expects to work towards that this season. That's all, there is nothing more here to analyze.

JIDsanity
12-21-2011, 12:10 PM
well thats because he is a BIG PF playing C. I dont want to compare him to Tim Duncan because he doesnt deserve it. But in terms of size and position he needs a C to play next to him half of the game. And then slide to the C spot on occasion. The nets should go after a guy like Dallembert. It would give them a HUGE lineup, a defensive center, and offenseive PF. and I think it would solidify there team, and make them a top 5 team in the east

That would not work out well on defense. It would be better if the Nets had a quick defensive PF next to Lopez. I.E. Favors, or a Kevin Garnett

Lakeshow24KB
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Damn right.